Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I went off the Football Ramble a few years back. Got a bit blokey banterific.

And everything had to be an hilarious segment like Zlatan's Zeppelin or Iker Grove. It was one sound effects board away from becoming a morning zoo show.

Still like Pete though, I was delighted to hear him on Absolute Radio last time I was over yonder.

Agree with you there a hundred percent. Gave up on the ramble a while back, too much of each guy trying to be more hilarious than the last guy.

Also they got rid of the best feature, the Dean Windass hall of fame, but at least now there's even more advertising to enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I must say I enjoyed the Roy Keane sting today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

The new OTB team aren't very good at stings, they are still mostly using Mark Horgan's old ones. Their "opinions" one drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭PIORUN

Arghus wrote: »
    I can't be the only one that remembers the sting they had of Shay Given back in the OTB days.

Ken had recorded an interview with Shay and after they had put it out on the radio someone had texted in drawing attention to Shay's continous sharp intake of breath throughout before he answered Ken's questions; they said sounded like he was inhaling on a spliff the whole time.

Soon enough they had a sting sampling a high pitched version of Shay's audio from the interview, complete with reggae backing-track. Gas stuff.

On an earlier topic: I'd be in favour of more Ken Early's report on sport. For all his flights of fancy and playing the devils advocate, he's one of the few football podcast people out there whose reporting is actually getting better as time goes on. I think he's a legitimitely good journalist. He's funny, but his analysis of things is usually fairly insightful to boot. I was listening to Guardian Football weekly earlier in the week and it was rubbish. No-one seemed interested and that seems to happen a lot there these days. I used to listen religously for years, but I don't bother half the time any more. Barry Glendinning is a marvel: he seems to take pride in not watching anything but Premiership football, which is an amazing trait in a football journalist.
    have to agree on Ken getting better. When he was on Off the Ball there as almost a Franno feel to him at times, where he would come up with some theory based on absolute nonsense, NO ONE WANTS TO BE COMPARED TO FRANNO!!!...but hes improved and is more insightful as well as having a great sense of humour and self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Really enjoyed the main podcast from yesterday, and for two non specific sports reasons, 1) the discussion about the websummit and 2) the discussion about Grantland.

I often feel a more informed about a lot of things after these discussions.

And, fuck the websummit*

*jokes. I love it. But I'd love it more if they weren't such greedy yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭Cartman78

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    The new OTB team aren't very good at stings things, they are still mostly using Mark Horgan's old ones. Their "opinions" one drives me nuts.
    FYP ;)

Just remembered the John Delaney one too which always makes me laugh...."John Delaney could manage anything" Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cartman78 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Ah OTB isn't that bad, just gets a bad rep due to the whole OTB5 thing. Plus the crappy quiz is a properly entertaining 30 minutes of radio, would love to hear Murph go up against the lads...:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And everything had to be an hilarious segment like Zlatan's Zeppelin or Iker Grove. It was one sound effects board away from becoming a morning zoo show.

Still like Pete though, I was delighted to hear him on Absolute Radio last time I was over yonder.

As a new person to the Second Captains empire, it's refreshing compared to Football Weekly which is very formulaic and full of brief fleeting summaries other than Arsenal games. The only time Football Weekly is good these days is when there's no games to 'fly through' and actually talk about things....usually international breaks.

And also the Ramble which is substantially worse without that hall of fame feature - both have increasing emphasis on live shows, I've lost count of the Football Weekly live shows plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cartman78 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

Just remembered the John Delaney one too which always makes me laugh...."John Delaney could manage anything" Lol :D

Ha! No, that's the best one. That and Loughnane.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The best one they ever had was the "Are yoooouuuuuu Daaaaaaaaviiiiiiid Braaaaaaaady" on the old OTB show with Prodigy playing in the background, I think Brady gave out to them on air for playing it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There's a couple of Ritchie Sadlier ones where he's talking about his dog, Frank, that are amazing. The one where he talks about Franks epilepsy genuinely had me in tears the first time I heard it. And the Phil Collins one is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I'm glad Ken addressed the fact that his Ian Ayre interview kind of sucked. The bit at the start where Ayre brushed off the threat illegal streaming presented to their revenue - saying that consumers of pirated material would never have paid for the genuine article anyway - sounded like something from an executive in the late 90s music industry.

I havn't heard the one that Sadlier told about an Irish u20 team he was part of, bored stiff at some tournament, who one day had a **** competition to pass the time! "pleasured themselves" being repeated over music I can't remember, it was gas.

Edit: Heres a link. It was actually the 99 u20 world cup in Nigeria. http://www.balls.ie/football/richie-sadlier-tells-brilliant-story-ireland-u20-1999-world-cup/124856

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah I gave up on The Ramble about 18 months ago. Felt like each one of them was trying to be funnier than the next. Just became irritating to listen to.

Haven't listened to The Game in ages either. Mainly because I couldn't stick Marcotti.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭BikeRacer

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Eric Cantona/Jonathan Pearce yet, the music from Matt Berry - 'Take My Hand' is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Eric Cantona/Jonathan Pearce yet, the music from Matt Berry - 'Take My Hand' is just perfect.

Defo my favorite "where can there be..."

The Football podcast from Thursday was excellent imho.

Littered with classic Ken throughout eg. “Managers quotes are now frozen for eternity in the amber of the internet”.

Also, the dynamic between himself and Richie Sadlier is fantastic….both are brutally honest, open and challenge each other in the right way…..don’t know anywhere else that offers this kind of analysis tbh. You might have a combo of a decent analyst and a limp interviewer or vice-versa but never (or very rarely) both.

And finally, the media managed interview with Ian Ayre that Ken willingly and gleefully took the p1ss out of himself over. Loved the line about the only way you’d get the truth out of Ayre would be in a hostage situation on a Somali pirate ship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Yeah I gave up on The Ramble about 18 months ago. Felt like each one of them was trying to be funnier than the next. Just became irritating to listen to.

Haven't listened to The Game in ages either. Mainly because I couldn't stick Marcotti.

I went off The Game soon after Phill Jupitus left and Marcotti took over hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That Guardian podcast made me want to blow my brains out the few times I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

keane2097 wrote: »
    That Guardian podcast made me want to blow my brains out the few times I heard it.

Don't do it man, they just aren't worth it!

Football weekly can sometimes rise to the occasion, even now. It just depends on who they have on the show, some of the contributors are great. However some are terrible. They can often get journos in from another non-sport parish of the paper and then they have to blather about football. They're usually about as knowledgeable as the man in the street, which is fine, I suppose, but I prefer to listen to people who have more knowledge than I do. The absolute worst contributor is Michael Hann, whose day job is writing about music, he's not really that into football that isn't connected with QPR. I will admit that his knowledge on that subject is comprehensive, this I know because he'll talk exclusively about QPR for as long as they've got. It's a bit comical really, well it would be if he didn't also have an obnoxious and loud voice, which allows him to dominate everyone on the panel. Leaving the genuinely great James Richardson whimpering in the corner as he tries to move on from the subject at hand: QPR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I like em both. If i had to give a positive of FW over SC its that FW actually discuss the games of the previous weekend and predict future ones whearas SC just talk about the biggest nearly off field stuff, like they will spend the whole podcast talking about a manager like wenger instead of talking about the games. FW also talks way more about what happening in europe and some of the quirker stories.

I love most of what ken says but talked some gibberish in the last pod about ronaldo.

Thought the discussion on Ronaldo on the football was excellent. Great insight, it was all Ken, no Spanish journalist to talk tripe. Fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Have to agree, SC can sometimes spend a whole podcast talking about 2 games from the wkd or Mourinho whereas FW touch on all previous games and upcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭bren2001

Have to agree, SC can sometimes spend a whole podcast talking about 2 games from the wkd or Mourinho whereas FW touch on all previous games and upcoming

I don't see how that can be a strongpoint for a podcast. I saw the game, I really don't need Barry or James telling me how drab the 0-0 draw was between X and Y really was, I've already watched Match of the Day. I'd much prefer to listen to insights on the dynamics of off field issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

bren2001 wrote: »
    I don't see how that can be a strongpoint for a podcast. I saw the game, I really don't need Barry or James telling me how drab the 0-0 draw was between X and Y really was, I've already watched Match of the Day. I'd much prefer to listen to insights on the dynamics of off field issues etc.

Well I suppose not every game alright but I sometimes feel they are talking about the same teams/issues all the time and maybe it would be nice to talk about a few more games that happened over the wkd.
    I much prefer SC and wouldn't even listen to FW every week but I do tire of the constant Mourinho discussion with a different guest every week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The way I'd describe it is that Second Captains is like a columnist in the papers, not a reporter.

If you want the details of the specific games/etc, get that elsewhere. If you need discussion on broader points, or going deep on something specific, that's where podcasting shines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like FW because they talk about every game. I don't get to watch every game at the weekend, and can't stand MOTD, so FW serves as my roundup each week. I like that they cover other leagues too.

SC is more analytical of the issues arising from the games or recent news. Which I also really enjoy.

For me, the two podcasts don't compete with each other. They're two sides of the same coin and I thoroughly enjoy both.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I like FW because they talk about every game. I don't get to watch every game at the weekend, and can't stand MOTD, so FW serves as my roundup each week. I like that they cover other leagues too.

SC is more analytical of the issues arising from the games or recent news. Which I also really enjoy.

For me, the two podcasts don't compete with each other. They're two sides of the same coin and I thoroughly enjoy both.

Yeah...there's plenty of scope for everyone on the football podcast menu.

I'd listen to the following (in order of preference) on a weekly basis....
    1. SC
    2. FW
    3.OTB
    4. Football Ramble.

It's pretty much even between SC and FW - very close to cancelling Football Ramble tbh...took a break last season from it but it's a bit too banterific for my taste and always seems to be out of sync with my download schedule.

And another sting....forgot completely about the Vincent Browne-Kanye West-Hairdryer one.....classic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hard to choose between Second Captains and FW, For me they are the two best out there by a mile. Ken Early is simply the man, although Barry Glendenning makes me lol on a very regular basis.

I honestly can't pick between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 A Shopkeeper

I love the way they casually have been dropping in references to OTB or Wooly's interview with someone recently. Because they can. Where as on OTB, they dare not even breath a sentence mentioning any of them or the podcast.

Sometimes I've listened to the SC podcast and then that night would swear something Ger Gilroy references was lifted straight from the SC podcast(s). Be it a topic, a point or a sentence. Obviously they will have cross over of current affairs but sometimes I feel like I'm hearing repeated viewpoints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement