Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Anyone else having trouble with the Second Captains podcast?

Since yesterday it just plays as a constant buzzing noise. All the rPodcasts I have are fine.
    I deleted it and re-downloaded it but still no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Both worked fine for me using Doggcather for android. Can't speak for other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Working fine via podcast app on IPhone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Works fine here (on podcast republic)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just listening to last Thursday's chat with US Murph. Did he really think Cantona's Kung Fu kick was a goal celebration?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Sounds fine on iTunes.

Loved Kens totally irrational hatred of Nandos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone going to the live podcast recording?

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Sounds fine on iTunes.

Loved Kens totally irrational hatred of Nandos.

Back working for me now- turned phone off and back on again and it just worked.
    Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone going to the live podcast recording?

Can never get tickets for any of their shows

Can never get tickets for any of their shows
    Think they were desperate for this one cos it was short notice. They were looking for people to email them yesterday at 2pm.
    I got 3 tickets anyway, woo hoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I was there tonight, it was a little different to their usual events. I enjoyed it anyway. Grabbed one of the mugs off the stage at the end just after they finished. Finally got my hands on one :-)

Deedsie wrote: »
    I was there tonight, it was a little different to their usual events. I enjoyed it anyway. Grabbed one of the mugs off the stage at the end just after they finished. Finally got my hands on one :-)

Lol, got one too! Ken said "thats what they're there for"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I was totally unaware of Tyson Fury's existence until the heavy promotion from Sky Sports for their box office offering.

The impression was, 'cheeky-chappie... up for the bants....'
    I had no idea it went much more dark than that.

Can you imagine if he is nominated & won the BBC SPOTY award?
    Standing next to Gary Lineker & Gabby Logan & then 'has a moment' giving his speech!

He has been nominated for spoty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was totally unaware of Tyson Fury's existence until the heavy promotion from Sky Sports for their box office offering.

The impression was, 'cheeky-chappie... up for the bants....'
    I had no idea it went much more dark than that.

Can you imagine if he is nominated & won the BBC SPOTY award?
    Standing next to Gary Lineker & Gabby Logan & then 'has a moment' giving his speech!

I have to say that I thought some of their obviously less than encyclopedic prior knowledge of Tyson Fury shone through at times. He's talked about himself and his Irish heritage quite a lot down through the years and let's not forget that he did try to box for Ireland, once upon a time. For Ken to say it wasn't that big a thing to him showed that he didn't know a great deal of the man's history. And as for Murph claiming that Fury referencing his Irish connections was all a cynical attempt to grab some Irish American dollars, I think that was an unfair and unjustified attempt to belittle him. I think whether you like him or loathe him you can't doubt that he speaks pretty sincerely, a great deal of the time, about who he is and what he believes in, to the extent that his brain/mouth axis could, quite probably, eventually derail his career.

What Fury has had to say in the past about a variety of subjects is outlandishly repellent, but I did find it interesting that Ken seemingly had a different view on the dangers of people mouthing off in public, if that person is Jamie Vardy. He seemed to, rightly, disagree with the journalist who thought Vardy should be effectively banished from public life for his crimes. For Ken, Vardy is more a figure of pity rather than of contempt: his actions betrayed a lack of education, rather than pure intolerance. For me that's probably true. We'd be better off if we tried to educate people about their wrongs, rather than to just publicly throw them under the bus whenever they said something regressive. That response to perceived wrongs is a proper sign of a truly tolerant society.The boys seemed to have a contradictory opinion on this idea when it came to Fury- they talked a lot about the danger of a platform for his views and I felt they were genuinely dismissive of him. I didn't hear much talk about compassion - aside from Donald McRae - for Fury and his well documented lack of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ciarán Murphy is "basically and literally" as he would repeatedly say himself, the quintessential country fella that went up to Dublin and got notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Ciar n Murphy is "basically and literally" as he would repeatedly say himself, the quintessential country fella that went up to Dublin and got notions.
    Add your reply here. Would you go way out of that. Murph is great, and provides the perfect antidote to Ken. They're both brilliant in very different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

"antidote to Ken"

What does this mean?

Is Ken a poison on the show?

"antidote to Ken"

What does this mean?

Is Ken a poison on the show?

I think what he means is that Murph is good at gently taking the piss out of Ken when he's at his most bombastic. They have an entertaining dynamic, as far as I'm concerned. Though a sizeable minority do seem to hate Murph. I think he plays up the country bumpkin shtick a bit too much sometimes, but usually if he talks seriously about a subject he shows he knows plenty. The show wouldn't be as good without him.

I usually find him fine, I just thought he was a bit scathing and ignorant when it came to Tyson Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jeezus....Graham Hunter talks some amount of ball-ox :mad:

Can't understand why he's wheeled out by SC (and OTB) to spout his pseudo-babble drivel.

I though Marcotti had set the bar high enough for self-indulgent garbage but Hunter has surpassed him at this stage imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Jeezus....Graham Hunter talks some amount of ball-ox

He takes a long time to say very little.

Can't understand why he's wheeled out by SC (and OTB) to spout his pseudo-babble drivel.

I though Marcotti had set the bar high enough for self-indulgent garbage but Hunter has surpassed him at this stage imho
    I like marcotti, but he doesn't like opposing opinions or being told he's wrong. Listening to hunter's big interviews, he's a complete lickarse. Sid Lowe is miles better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Arghus wrote: »
    I think what he means is that Murph is good at gently taking the piss out of Ken when he's at his most bombastic. They have an entertaining dynamic, as far as I'm concerned. Though a sizeable minority do seem to hate Murph. I think he plays up the country bumpkin shtick a bit too much sometimes, but usually if he talks seriously about a subject he shows he knows plenty. The show wouldn't be as good without him.

I usually find him fine, I just thought he was a bit scathing and ignorant when it came to Tyson Fury.

"hate" is a bit strong. I just think he's been given a bigger role in Second Captains than he merits. A much bigger role than he had on OTB. I have no real interest in Murph's opinion on any given subject and have never thought that he was that funny. I find him to be a bit of a bore, tbh.

Having said that, I accept a lot of other people do like him...each to his own...you can't please everybody...etc...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

These are the only two contributors I turn off.

Bring back Parker'n'Lovejoy, that's what I say.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    "hate" is a bit strong. I just think he's been given a bigger role in Second Captains than he merits. A much bigger role than he had on OTB. I have no real interest in Murph's opinion on any given subject and have never thought that he was that funny. I find him to be a bit of a bore, tbh.

Having said that, I accept a lot of other people do like him...each to his own...you can't please everybody...etc...etc

I find Murph is quite knowledgeable on most subjects he just waffles a lot. He goes off in 2 or 3 different directions when making a point or asking a question. He also drags the arse out of a lot of the jokes.

I find Murph is quite knowledgeable on most subjects he just waffles a lot. He goes off in 2 or 3 different directions when making a point or asking a question. He also drags the arse out of a lot of the jokes.

Yeah he is the main GAA man on the team and does know a lot but has a very roundabout way of making a point. Its painful at times listening to him try ask a question to a guest, he just waffles on way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah he is the main GAA man on the team and does know a lot but has a very roundabout way of making a point. Its painful at times listening to him try ask a question to a guest, he just waffles on way too much.

Not as bad as Ger Gilroy though who often seems to take over a minute to ask one question.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed that he has two presenting voices as well. He's got a sarcastic tounge in cheek voice when he's in court jester mode. But when things get serious he drops a few notes and becomes quite earnest sounding. Ken, by contrast, stays in the same mode throughout - just rising to a pitch of indignation every so often.

Have to agree with all the hate for Graham Hunter. He's terrible. I was saddened to hear him on the show this week. I thought he was an off the ball loyalist. Looks like he's beginning to spread his quasi-mystical puff talk everywhere. I think he's worse than Marcotti. Marcotti is a smug loud mouth but at least I can follow what he's on about. Hunter literally talks nonsense. Pure babble that's disguised to sound like earth shattering revalations. Something like the pages of four four two, mixed with the Rosetta Stone. Or Finnegans wake.The actual substance of what he has to say could be summed up jn two minutes. Must be stressful though, that amount of obscurity takes effort. He must put the phone down after finishing each segment and wonder how he got away with it for another day, again .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Arghus wrote: »
    Have to agree with all the hate for Graham Hunter. He's terrible. I was saddened to hear him on the show this week. I thought he was an off the ball loyalist. Looks like he's beginning to spread his quasi-mystical puff talk everywhere. I think he's worse than Marcotti. Marcotti is a smug loud mouth but at least I can follow what he's on about. Hunter literally talks nonsense. Pure babble that's disguised to sound like earth shattering revalations. Something like the pages of four four two, mixed with the Rosetta Stone. Or Finnegans wake.The actual substance of what he has to say could be summed up jn two minutes. Must be stressful though, that amount of obscurity takes effort. He must put the phone down after finishing each segment and wonder how he got away with it for another day, again .

I was wondering what Ken and Eoin were up during that interview.

Would love if one of them interjected halfway through his 5 minute diatribe..."Ehh...hold on there Graham....what the fupp are you talking about?"

• Advertisement

Anyone get the Sports Annual? Got it yesterday - only flicked through it but looks good and there's mountains of stuff in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement