Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I love the way they casually have been dropping in references to OTB or Wooly's interview with someone recently. Because they can. Where as on OTB, they dare not even breath a sentence mentioning any of them or the podcast.

Sometimes I've listened to the SC podcast and then that night would swear something Ger Gilroy references was lifted straight from the SC podcast(s). Be it a topic, a point or a sentence. Obviously they will have cross over of current affairs but sometimes I feel like I'm hearing repeated viewpoints.

Yeah I have heard him mention he heard an interview with person X who turns out to have been on SC earlier in the day a few times

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can someone briefly sum up the history between SC and OTB? The first time I heard of SC was when they were leaving Newstalk?

Can someone briefly sum up the history between SC and OTB? The first time I heard of SC was when they were leaving Newstalk?

SC were OTB on Newtalk. They wanted a bigger/longer show and NT said no so the lads left. They setup a podcast at the IT and named themselves as SC

SC were OTB on Newtalk. They wanted a bigger/longer show and NT said no so the lads left. They setup a podcast at the IT and named themselves as SC

And the guys that are now OTB, were they involved with the show before the SC lads left or did Newstalk just bring in new people?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

And the guys that are now OTB, were they involved with the show before the SC lads left or did Newstalk just bring in new people?

Ger Gilroy was the original host of OTB I believe. Then Eoin and the lads took over and Ger moved more behind the scenes (I believe he was/is Head of Sports in NT?).

The SC lads felt they would pull in better ratings if they got a drivetime slot (rumours were they wanted Hook's slot, or at the very least the 6-7pm hour). NT, understandably, said no, the lads walked out en-masse, and Ger took the reigns again.

Cian Murtagh (the sports reader) has been there since old OTB days, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the current OTB crew are new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭styron

They felt they'd taken the 7-10 slot as far as they could and wanted a shot at 6:30-9:30 with a drive time mix of sport and current affairs format with a view to retaining and growing the larger audience they would inherit at 6:30 from Hook (obviously with more dough for them too). Newstalk palmed them off for some time in negotiations but eventually a Mexican standoff developed - an unwillingness to give them an earlier slot was matched by a refusal of the five to renew the existing contract.

Uncle Denis broke the impasse, informed them this was not how you conduct business and they were issued their P45's and frogmarched out of the building or resigned en masse (take your pick 'Saipan style'). SC's started two months later.

Gilroy started OTB originally, brought the others on board and evolved into Newstalk sports editor, stood in occasionally for Eoin and did dry seminar style OB's at the weekends with Molloy at various GAA venues in the last 18 months or so before the breakup. Parkinson was interviewed a couple of times on the weekday show and provided "colour" to a few roundtable weekend discussions before getting his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

The second captains lads are the biz. I wish they had more than 2 podcasts. I love kens rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The second captains lads are the biz. I wish they had more than 2 podcasts. I love kens rants.

Four shows a wee and a TV show (I don't know if Ken gets to rant on prime time RTÉ though).

In fairness there are very few people putting out podcasts four times a week. And if they are they don't involve the level of research and quality of interview Second Captains produce.
    I'd love a SC Podcast everyday, but I'm happy enough with the current output.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Poor Ken :pac:

I was trying and failing badly in my attempts to stifle my laughter for the last 10 minutes of the football podcast! What is it with him, airports and podcasting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Poor Ken :pac:

I was trying and failing badly in my attempts to stifle my laughter for the last 10 minutes of the football podcast! What is it with him, airports and podcasting :D

That was very funny and he was a good enough sport to talk about it in the podcast. I remember a few weeks ago he was in free flow in a departure lounge when he suddenly stopped talking and said, "sorry... a baby has just crawled up to me!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Dublin -> London -> Amsterdam -> Vienna -> Sarajevo ......

christ Ken!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Four shows a wee and a TV show (I don't know if Ken gets to rant on prime time RTÉ though).

In fairness there are very few people putting out podcasts four times a week. And if they are they don't involve the level of research and quality of interview Second Captains produce.
    I'd love a SC Podcast everyday, but I'm happy enough with the current output.
    They used to do 3 hours a night! But I'm happy with what they do now, I've loads of podcasts to get through these days

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

The missed flight stuff was funny alright, but also quite unprofessional. Also I wonder who the hell booked that journey, because it seemed unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure it used to be possible to get from Dublin directly to Croatia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

wrote:
    They used to do 3 hours a night! But I'm happy with what they do now, I've loads of podcasts to get through these days
    It was radio. How much of those three hours was actual content?
    News, weather, traffic, sponsors, competitions and constant resetting eat up a lot, possibly more than half, of the time.

What they're doing now is of a much higher quality. They're not pandering to the text line, they don't have to give you updates on the Europa Leave matches as they happen.

Ken Early's Report on Sport makes less sense now because the entire football podcast can essentially be a KERoS(™). Previously it was a five minute segment that regularly cut Ken off before he was finished because Eoin had to throw to an ad.

So often live radio is trying to fill time and hosts are treading water because they can't start a new segment in case it runs long. The podcasts can be 45 minutes long or 75 minutes long depending on how much they have to say, but they're always as long as they need to be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sigmundv wrote: »
    The missed flight stuff was funny alright, but also quite unprofessional. Also I wonder who the hell booked that journey, because it seemed unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure it used to be possible to get from Dublin directly to Croatia?

He wasn't the only one to be doing such a flight. Was listening to the commentary of the game on 2FM and commentator said that they had got a direct flight earlier in the week, but that others were going through very complicated routes.

So I'm assuming the direct flight was too early in the week for Ken to get so he had to go the complicated route. Can't all be on the RTE gravy train. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

sigmundv wrote: »

Pretty sure if you listen back to the podcasts the morning after the ireland V Argentina match he talks about booking the trip on his phone in Cardiff (or some equally casual method!) and how early booking is key in these scenarios.

Your right, very unprofessional, I think he should be kicked off the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

gucci wrote:
    Your right, very unprofessional, I think he should be kicked off the show!

Haha, wouldn't go that far now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I do wonder about Ken's trips to foreign matches. Are these paid for by the Second Captains, by the Irish Times, or by himself?

Is he a freelance journalist for Irish Times, or staff?

Also, did he go in the end? Wasn't clear from podcasts (although I might just not have been paying attention...:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭PIORUN

" what did they think when everyone else went silent?"...well said Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Highly doubt he's paying for it out of his own pocket Dulpit, surely the Irish Times are footing the bill?
    No he didn't make it in the end

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Laughed a lot at Dion Fannings 'George Castanzas' analogy tonight. Quite enjoyed the euro special pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Very good episode on Monday.

I like that Eoin is happy to let Ken & Murph take the lead sometimes....

Interesting hearing from that journalist from Paris.... Its probably a trope now that the French national team unify the country, it seems not so anymore..

Watching the national anthems from Wembley.... again he was right... some moved their lips a bit, but most didn't seem interested in attempting La Marseillaise.

^Quite a few of the French players were playing on Friday night. It can't be easy for them and by all accounts the players didn't even want to play the match tonight, it was the French federation made the decision and all the wreath laying and holding hands before the game were the FA's idea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

#believe, indeed. ☺

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That analogy by the Chile manager was hilarious.

Hope we get to hear more about Ken's adventures in the Northern Sea :pac:

Listening to Monday's podcast there and they're talking about the rugby and it's like Connacht don't exist.

Not a mention of their adventures in Siberia which, aside from getting an important win, is a story worth at least a brief end of podcast mention.

Even when they were talking about Leinster's appalling performance on Sunday and the idea of a "world cup hangover" they left Connacht out when listing how many players the provinces had contributed to the Ireland squad. The fact Connacht are top of the Pro 12 at the moment pretty much backed up the point they were making too.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Who and what is that bit of audio in the intro to the football show please? Someone saying "boom boom boom" or somesuch, i think it's just before Fergie's "that's absolute bollox" bit

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Who and what is that bit of audio in the intro to the football show please? Someone saying "boom boom boom" or somesuch, i think it's just before Fergie's "that's absolute bollox" bit

I always assumed that was Trapattoni?

In the same intro, is that Noel Gallagher telling someone that they don't know what they're talking about?

• Advertisement

It was Trap saying Boom, boom, boom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement