Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As irritating as he sometimes can be, Ken was a big loss during the last football show. It was dull without him, could have done with a bit of ranting and raving about the copa america.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Interview with the lad on Mt. Everest on Monday was great stuff. Really interesting story, hopefully more of these come during a quiet summer of sport

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Interview with the lad on Mt. Everest on Monday was great stuff. Really interesting story, hopefully more of these come during a quiet summer of sport

Had that exact thought as I was listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Loved the part this week where the were talking about holiday recommendations and ken said to murph 'i that was me that recommended that'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Ken Early being alone in and commenting on his experiences in Las Vegas is one of the greatest things in the world :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

Judging by these pictures Ken seems to be having a great time

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/619157361899474944

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Why did they send Ken to Vegas to cover McGregor. I thought it was obvious he didn't like him or the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

seiphil wrote: »
    I thought it was obvious he didn't like him or the sport.

That's the reason.

The IT probably wanted someone on the beat for the fight & Ken is the 'fish out of water' that can make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Why did they send Ken to Vegas to cover McGregor. I thought it was obvious he didn't like him or the sport.

He's there as a reporter, not a fan.

He's there as a reporter, not a fan.

A football reporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

A football reporter.

A sports journalist for the Irish times who also happens to be a member of the second captains team?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

A football reporter.

Surely - SURELY - there's plenty of fawning, uncritical coverage of Conor McGregor available if that's what you're in the market for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I found Ken's reporting of the event to be pretty good, and honest.

I had it in my mind that he'd go over a bit cynical of the entire situation, which I think he was at the outset, and then he appeared to change his mind a bit having seen the main card and appreciated the fighters for their skill and athleticism.

As previously mentioned, there are mountains of fanboy blogs, podcasts and other media pieces to read if you want it.

Ken gives the aura of the disapproving school master, surveying the behaviour of 'typical Irish travelling fans'. As I would class myself as a stereotypical travelling fan at most sports events, I can't disagree with the points he makes :o

I think they couldn't turn down the opportunity to unleash Ken's jaundiced worldview on Vegas.

I thought Ken did a brilliant job of painting a picture of the weekend, mainly from a journalistic perspective, not as a McGregor acolyte. This was a blissful alternative to the many other outlets in the Irish media who had no interest in having anything worthwhile to say about the whole situation, aside from pandering shamelessly to the thousands of clicks that McGregor's name now generates for Irish "sports" websites.

I think Ken ended up loving McGregor by the end of the weekend. He wouldn't be the type to be screaming it out loud that he thought Conor was the greatest man in the history of men, but I was left in no doubt that he viewed him as a genuine star. He also made special mention of McGregor's courage in the fight, how that was the aspect of his character that people responded too the most. I felt his admiration was pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Arghus wrote: »
    I think they couldn't turn down the opportunity to unleash Ken's jaundiced worldview on Vegas.

I thought Ken did a brilliant job of painting a picture of the weekend, mainly from a journalistic perspective, not as a McGregor acolyte. This was a blissful alternative to the many other outlets in the Irish media who had no interest in having anything worthwhile to say about the whole situation, aside from pandering shamelessly to the thousands of clicks that McGregor's name now generates for Irish "sports" websites.

I think Ken ended up loving McGregor by the end of the weekend. He wouldn't be the type to be screaming it out loud that he thought Conor was the greatest man in the history of men, but I was left in no doubt that he viewed him as a genuine star. He also made special mention of McGregor's courage in the fight, how that was the aspect of his character that people responded too the most. I felt his admiration was pretty clear.

Well said, I thought Ken was a brilliant choice to cover it.

Listened to the podcast yesterday and it was much better than the first time he reported on it imo.

I'm not looking for him to talk about his admiration or lack of for McGregor or the sport. It irked me a bit that on the biggest fight week of the year he decided to delve into fighters union and pay. Something he knew very little on and how the UFC works. Fighters generally get paid more than what is publicly stated and this has been known for quite some time.

Ken for me is excellent at reporting at football. When it comes to any other sport theres a lot to be desired.

But thats my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That Ronaldo/Greeek Island stuff was brilliant. "He didn't buy Corfu":D

Amazon should sign up these three guys and forget those petrolhead bores...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The last few weeks of this podcast have been excellent imho....some real top quality stuff with the balance of banter and content just right.

Enjoy it while it last chaps.....nearly all my favourite podcasts I've listened to over the years eventually come to a messy end.....The Bugle being the latest example :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The podcasts improve in quality when there's less sport going on. Once the premier league is back and then the rugby they'll have less time for non sequiturs or less covered sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

dulpit wrote: »
    The podcasts improve in quality when there's less sport going on. Once the premier league is back and then the rugby they'll have less time for non sequiturs or less covered sports.

Yup. I'd listen to Eoin and Ken chinwag about pretty much anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Must say I missed McConville and Clerkin on Monday, I've heard enough Andy Lee to last me quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

dulpit wrote: »

That's a good point actually.....don't mind the GAA stuff as such but the rugby coverage has got really tedious in recent seasons imho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hippo wrote: »
    Must say I missed McConville and Clerkin on Monday, I've heard enough Andy Lee to last me quite a while now.

I don't know why they didn't do proper coverage of the GAA weekend. I was surprised when they flew through it and ended the podcast.

Andy Lee is probably our biggest boxer right now and about to take part in his biggest fight. Ill never be sick of Andy!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

McConvilles voice does my head in!

weadick wrote: »
    McConvilles voice does my head in!

Completely agree, his accent makes him sound boring and snotty at the same time. Fierce hard on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Have to disagree lads, I'm a kerryman but I enjoy Mcconville every time he's on. Excellent analysis from him always, a cut above the boys in RTE. He called it on Thursday that he could see the Mayo Donegal game going the same as the last time both teams met in the championship. His banter is very good as well, he obviously gets on well with the lads. An integral part of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deag4

buyer95 wrote:
    Have to disagree lads, I'm a kerryman but I enjoy Mcconville every time he's on. Excellent analysis from him always, a cut above the boys in RTE. He called it on Thursday that he could see the Mayo Donegal game going the same as the last time both teams met in the championship. His banter is very good as well, he obviously gets on well with the lads. An integral part of the show.

Agree, he's excellent. I use to think he was boring when he use to be on rte radio one. But think he is brilliant now, great banter and is usually on the money.most interesting analyst around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Am I the only one who only listens to the soccer pod? It's not the only sport I'm into but I feel the other one has too much GAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Am I the only one who only listens to the soccer pod? It's not the only sport I'm into but I feel the other one has too much GAA!

I only started listening to the other one recently. It's funny though, because as with the football show, you never know when you're gonna get a real gem of an interview or some great (and I hate this word) banter between the presenters. I think one of the first non-football shows I listened to earlier this summer had an interview with US Murph where he referenced the infamous Tommy Lasorda rant and the guys even played it - I'd never heard of it before and it was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I listen to the other one as well but generally skip over the rugby bits which I find a bit dull.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement