Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cartman78 wrote: »
    It seems most of us dislike Murph leaking into the Football show, but what do people think about Ken’s contributions on other sports?

I have only a passing interest in rugby so Ken’s witterings on Johnny Sexton & co. are right in my wheelhouse, but I’m sure it must drive real rugby fans nuts.

I enjoyed the Matt Williams stuff as well I have to say….not easy to be the contrarian but he made his points well imho
    Ken talking about anything is entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

It seems most of us dislike Murph leaking into the Football show, but what do people think about Ken’s contributions on other sports?

I have only a passing interest in rugby so Ken’s witterings on Johnny Sexton & co. are right in my wheelhouse, but I’m sure it must drive real rugby fans nuts.

In the past, mainly Kiwi & Welsh supporters ears left burning by Mr. Burley

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McDevitt made me laugh with his 'We talk sh1te, they play sport, the sport writers motto' comment when talking about Shefflin's legacy

That was a great piece, especially Seamus Hickey's story about meeting Shefflin a week after the Semi Final and Sheffin complaining to him that a Limerick player should have been sent off and Hickey's reaction being you're in the final what are you complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

The boys must have been on th sauce after the show Wednesday nigh. Leaved and leaped 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Loved the stuff about the cat in the Airbnb place...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

US Murph sounds almost unrecognisable from the fella they've been talking to on the phone all these years, must be a sh1t phone line, loved his Jack Nicholson story and the dynamics between him and Ken, I'd love to hear Ken talk to him more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MessiHutz

styron wrote: »
    In the past, mainly Kiwi & Welsh supporters ears left burning by Mr. Burley

How have I not heard that before. Absolute gold.

One thing that slightly annoys me about the show is that if you have read the lads' tweets or ken's articles during the week, a lot of the stuff on the show won't be anything new.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

US Murph sounds almost unrecognisable from the fella they've been talking to on the phone all these years, must be a sh1t phone line, loved his Jack Nicholson story and the dynamics between him and Ken, I'd love to hear Ken talk to him more often.

Agreed on all these points. Only for the mannerisms in his speech he's totally unrecognisable! He sounds way younger on the phone, like as if he's in his early 30's, he sounds more middle aged in person.

I was actually a little disappointed that US Murph wasn't on the entire show if I'm honest. They really work well together, and I can't wait for Ken's review of the baseball game! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny when they asked ken if he was looking forward to the baseball game. And all he was genuinely interested about was what fast food would be on sale and how they sell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The main podcast was great.
    Very much liked the interview with the boxer.

Ken, please change it up.
    We get it, you don't like LFC.... move on & talk about something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ken, please change it up.
    We get it, you don't like LFC.... move on & talk about something else.

There's no doubting that he doesn't like Brendan Rodgers, but he's actually a Liverpool fan. He told Alan Shearer, in an interview a few years back, that he was at Anfield in 1995 when Blackburn won the league - he wouldn't have been there as a Blackburn Rovers supporter.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    but he's actually a Liverpool fan.

Strange that he's so obsessively critical of them..... All the time & before Rodgers too.

There is a big world of football he should report on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Strange that he's so obsessively critical of them..... All the time & before Rodgers too.

There is a big world of football he should report on.

But probably a 50% share of the listeners who are Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

keane2097 wrote: »
    But probably a 50% share of the listeners who are Liverpool fans.

MjAxMy04NGQxZThiOTE0YzVmOGVk.png

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

For some reason my iTunes has decided to download every bloody episode of the podcast since January 2014. Marking them as played had no effect. :\

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    For some reason my iTunes has decided to download every bloody episode of the podcast since January 2014. Marking them as played had no effect. :\

Doing the same for me. It's bloody annoying.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I loved US Murphs Irish reminiscing. The Jack Nicholson and the Phibsboro days were superb.

That last podcast in the Irish Pub may have been one of the best 2nd captains show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The bits they play inbetween segments have been great recently, the Macho Man one and the Robbie Keane one had me in tears. Duffman will never die!

Eoin and Ken's love child :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Eoin and Ken's love child :pac:.

Hadn't listened to the show in a while but I downloaded the Bill O'Herlihy tribute and the football show. I really enjoyed both.

The bit on the football show where Ken ponders the science of reproduction made me laugh out loud.

Ken: We may even live to see the day, you and I Eoin, when we can have a child
    Eoin: Myself and yourself?

Eoin's timing was just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

We're enjoying a real purple patch of Second Captains atm. A mile ahead of any other Irish/Uk sports podcasts. Analysis is always good by them, but these last few episodes have all been packed with hilarious tangential rabbit holes, anecdotes etc over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

buyer95 wrote: »
    We're enjoying a real purple patch of Second Captains atm. A mile ahead of any other Irish/Uk sports podcasts. Analysis is always good by them, but these last few episodes have all been packed with hilarious tangential rabbit holes, anecdotes etc over the last while.

Agree....following a bit of a lull a couple of month's ago they're really back on form.

Would love to know if they're gaining any traction outside Ireland (?)

Obviously the main show has a distinct Irish flavour but the Football edition would surely appeal to anyone with an interest in European football. It's on a par with Football Weekly imho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I just wish they'd spend a little bit more time on the more obscure topics. That interview with the boxer who fought Hollyfield was excellent, it's really where they excel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Agree....following a bit of a lull a couple of month's ago they're really back on form.

Would love to know if they're gaining any traction outside Ireland (?)

Obviously the main show has a distinct Irish flavour but the Football edition would surely appeal to anyone with an interest in European football. It's on a par with Football Weekly imho

Got a mention in The Guardian yesterday.

This had never happened before, but I was getting a tiny bit bored of them...just before the past couple of weeks, when they've been back to their best.

Also agree with Dulpit, the oscure bits are far more interesting than constant rugby/gaa and even football. Except not football.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

buyer95 wrote: »
    We're enjoying a real purple patch of Second Captains atm. A mile ahead of any other Irish/Uk sports podcasts.

And to think the guys could have been lost to sportscasting if the Times hadn't thrown them a lifeline...Still don't see much of a business case for this or any other podcast but fair play to them all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

And to think the guys could have been lost to sportscasting if the Times hadn't thrown them a lifeline...Still don't see much of a business case for this or any other podcast but fair play to them all the same...

Yeah I'm really surprised they're not back on radio yet, thought RTE would have them on after giving them the TV show

dulpit wrote: »
    I just wish they'd spend a little bit more time on the more obscure topics.

Yeah, but time is the problem. They had 12 hours a week to fill, now they only have 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Swan Curry wrote: »
    The bits they play inbetween segments have been great recently, the Macho Man one and the Robbie Keane one had me in tears. Duffman will never die!

He's got a bit more of a tan than me but.

• Advertisement

I completely forgot about the second iTunes feed.

There's a feed that's just called "Second Captains" and they put up little bits up there. I thought it had gone defunct after the first month or two of the show but they're still posting the little music things there.

And specifically why I mention it is that the most recent episode on there is the KNBR segment in full if anyone wanted to listen to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement