Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Cartman78 wrote: »
    It's on a par with Football Weekly imho

On a par? It's far better, in my opinion. Football Weekly is grand but they scoot over things a bit too much. Second Captains introduce it and discuss it themselves, and then get a journalist who was probably at the match on and discuss it more in depth. They have features, such as on the recent stories about the fires at a football ground 30 years ago (forget the grounds). Football Weekly would never do something like that. They just brush over the surface and talk about the matches, who kicked the ball etc. Second Captains are far more in depth and a lot more cerebral.

I do enjoy Football Weekly (I listen to every episode), but it's much lighter weight.

I've heard Second Captains being mentioned by Barry Glendenning before. I think he must listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I've heard Second Captains being mentioned by Barry Glendenning before. I think he must listen to it.

Ken Early has been on FW before or did i dream that?

bur wrote: »
    Ken Early has been on FW before or did i dream that?

Yeah, February 2009, before my time as a listener.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/audio/2009/feb/16/football-weekly-podcast

That's quite surprising to me. How did that come about I wonder? I don't think presenting would be Ken's forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

On a par? It's far better, in my opinion. Football Weekly is grand but they scoot over things a bit too much. Second Captains introduce it and discuss it themselves, and then get a journalist who was probably at the match on and discuss it more in depth. They have features, such as on the recent stories about the fires at a football ground 30 years ago (forget the grounds). Football Weekly would never do something like that. They just brush over the surface and talk about the matches, who kicked the ball etc. Second Captains are far more in depth and a lot more cerebral.

I do enjoy Football Weekly (I listen to every episode), but it's much lighter weight.

I'm a big fan of both too to be honest.....you're right about FWeekly being bright and breezy....for me they complement each other quite well on a weekly basis.

Ken hosted the show before I think a couple of times....seems to be a social media chum of Barry alright.

Anyone know if the Football show will be taking a summer break....Ken will struggle big time with only a couple of Ireland games to work off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭bren2001

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of both too to be honest.....you're right about FWeekly being bright and breezy....for me they complement each other quite well on a weekly basis.

Ken hosted the show before I think a couple of times....seems to be a social media chum of Barry alright.

Anyone know if the Football show will be taking a summer break....Ken will struggle big time with only a couple of Ireland games to work off :D

No, they keep both shows running all summer. They usually break it up a bit with a few interviews though. The report on sport is much smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bren2001 wrote: »
    No, they keep both shows running all summer. They usually break it up a bit with a few interviews though. The report on sport is much smaller.

Maybe they only kept the football show going through summer last year because of the World Cup? Hard to see how they're going to fill it for the next two months...

Ken, please change it up.
    We get it, you don't like LFC.... move on & talk about something else.

I presume you're a Liverpool supporter?

He doesn't talk about Liverpool any more than any other big team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ken's going to be on Prime Time tonight.
    RTÉ Prime Time ‏@RTE_PrimeTime 35m35 minutes ago Tonight - what next for @SeppBlatter and FIFA? @kenearlys & @Davidsgoldblatt join @MiriamOCal to discuss the corruption saga. #rtept

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Ken's going to be on Prime Time tonight.

Wonder will there be a "Ferguson threw a hairdryer at Beckham" moment from MOC:P?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some absolute gold in the recent football podcast:

Ken admitting his guilt after watching an illegal online stream:
    "I stole Trevillion's corn, so that I could watch the second half of Liverpool-Stoke" :D and then saying afterward that it was like his computer's brain was suffering from CJD

I also actually lol'd in the work carpark at Eoin's comment about Brendan Rodger's perilious situation:
    "So has it gone from a rap on the knuckles to a bullet in the heart?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't expect the boys to stay too quiet over DOB's recent attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Don't expect the boys to stay too quiet over DOB's recent attention.

No chance Ken will be able to resist an inferred, semi closeted dig at DOB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The main podcast was great.
    Very much liked the interview with the boxer.

Ken, please change it up.
    We get it, you don't like LFC.... move on & talk about something else.

What a bizarre post considering that he's a Liverpool fan. He's just being honest. SucK it up and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The recent interview with Chris Bascombe from the Daily Telegraph on the latest goings on in Liverpool reminded me why this is the best football podcast around.

He was erudite and humorous without ever resorting to the cliched platitudes that football fans have become tired of.

The greatest skill a great interviewer has is to be a good listener. McDevitt does this with aplomb and knows the value of a good contributor. He only interjects when necessary and when he does, with the assistance of Ken, it only serves to further the interview.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The lads won't be doing the GAA show they did every Sunday evening during the Championship last year, Marty Morrissey has replaced them.

www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/the-marty-squad-marty-morrissey-to-front-new-gaa-championship-show-31275498.html7

Edit: They've tweeted about it

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/606166913094438913

Also they have a special Pod out today about Blatter resigning, I thought they'd leave it till tomorrow, seeing as there is feck all football to talk about at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Explosive podcast today on Blatter's resignation with Ken and James Montague really going at it, comedic value is heightened by the fact that the argument is taking place between two guys shouting into phones, this being beamed back to McDevitt and co. in the studio. They really went at it hammer and thongs, Ken was having none of Montague trying to say Blatter was powerless to do anything about all the corruption going on in FIFA. Fantastic radio! Or fantastic podcasting, (is podcasting a term?) Montague really works himself up into a tizzy, getting very excited altogether, but does make some brilliant points, and gives as good as he gets in the verbal clash with Ken. Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I really enjoyed the special episode this week, but that dude James came across as almost a shill for Fifa if you ask me. Good man Ken for sticking to your guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

dulpit wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the special episode this week, but that dude James came across as almost a shill for Fifa if you ask me. Good man Ken for sticking to your guns.

That guy did seem a bit of an apologist alright. I'm not sure if it was intentional mind, living in Qatar & within its dictatorship bubble he probably sees no issue.

Ken is right though, Its a curious kind of democracy that sees Montserrat, with its population the size of Blessington receive the same funding & wield the same power as Germany or Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That guy did seem a bit of an apologist alright. I'm not sure if it was intentional mind, living in Qatar & within its dictatorship bubble he probably sees no issue.

Ken is right though, Its a curious kind of democracy that sees Montserrat, with its population the size of Blessington receive the same funding & wield the same power as Germany or Brazil.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the EU - the way that the MEPs are weighted by country, with smaller countries getting a proportionally higher number of MEPs than they should get, but with the larger countries getting (obviously) more seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the EU - the way that the MEPs are weighted by country, with smaller countries getting a proportionally higher number of MEPs than they should get, but with the larger countries getting (obviously) more seats.

Perhaps not the best example though, considering how Germany have dominated how the EU responded to the economic crises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They've had James Montague on a few times. He always takes a vaguely pro-Blatter point of view. He says things like "I'm not condoning Blatter..." and then proceeds to defend Herr Sepp from whatever accusation gets thrown at him.

I think a lot of the criticism Blatter faces is justified and he should have gone a long, long time ago, but I do think some of it's a simplification of bigger problems and slagging him can often be a case of easy and cynical opportunism by those in the public eye. David Goldblatt or Andrew Jennings are the only two really worth listening to on this issue. They talk sense and know the facts.

In this case, I think Montague was a joke. His definition of democracy was laughable and Ken should have gone to town on him more than he actually did. I would have welcomed full-on Ken. He might be well used to it though, I'd imagine he's busy enough this week in media work- being the only English journalist who will put in a good word for Sepp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I think a week like this shows why the lads need to be back on prime time radio, every podcast they have done on FIFA has been followed by a bigger announcement or scandal and they're scrambling to catch up the following day!
    Tuesday podcast all about Blatter staying and whats next and then that evening Blatter resigns.
    Thursday podcast comes out and then the John Delaney/FAI FIFA payment story comes out and they miss out again!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is anyone still stuck with the problem of iTunes downloading old episodes of the podcast every time you refresh?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Is anyone still stuck with the problem of iTunes downloading old episodes of the podcast every time you refresh?

Yes. And it's doing my head in.

I almost have every episode now and they're taking up a hell of an amount of space. But once I mark as played and delete, it'll download them again. Incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yes. And it's doing my head in.

I almost have every episode now and they're taking up a hell of an amount of space. But once I mark as played and delete, it'll download them again. Incredibly annoying.

Surprised they haven't fixed it by now to be honest. Been doing it for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Just listened to the Montague/Ken debate....take a much different view than those on here. Thought Montague made the much better argument. Phillipe Auclair, Vickery and Montague seem to know FIFA way better as a whole than the Majority of the press. Their arguments are much more than the Euro-centric anti Blatter stuff ya get. And none of them are apologists for Blatter...they are explaining the world view and looking at the much bigger picture of FIFA, the confederations and the epidemic corruption in it all.

Also...not everyone in the world plays football. To make a population argument like Ken did about the USA and its political system with an organisation that represents football is silly.

From Ken's IT article, hammering home the point in case anyone had missed it in the podcast:
    There was Delaney last week, sternly holding Blatter to account, slamming him in terms that would perhaps raise the eyebrows of any follower of Irish football. Dictator, surrounded himself with yes men, felt entitled to the job, gigantic ego, shameless, believed he was invincible, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone else find Mondays podcast skipping from around the end of the GAA talk?

Ken on Dave Fanning talking about the game right now. Boys definitely building decent post-NT careers for themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Murph's Junior 'A' game story was hilarious, loved when he was describing trying to stop the other lad from scoring :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement