Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Obrieski wrote: »
    Powerful interview today with Hannah Tyrell, the poor girl suffered a lot...glad she has pulled through her difficulties and is flying on the sporting scene now.

I feel there can never be enough of these style of interviews to raise awareness of these various kinds of mental issues, even if it helps just the one person who is struggling then it is worth it.

All the best to Hannah in her future personal and sporting career.

This was a great interview, very strong and revealing stuff from Hannah and incredibly honest. She's doing a great public service by talking so openly.

Kudos also to Eoin, handled the interview very well and demonstrated again why he's the best around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

"... in that they're both mammals."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The pods were very good this week. Enjoyed the cycling chat. I'd like to hear that guy on again.

Who was that do you remember?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard the Pbeso music and couldn't skip forward fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

A little place called Navan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Listening to Ken report on transfer gossip is bizarre. He was speaking about a story by The Sun (of all fkin papers) about De Ligt today and seemed to have no concept of how much clickbait bullsh*t transfer stories in the summer are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

dulux99 wrote: »
    Listening to Ken report on transfer gossip is bizarre. He was speaking about a story by The Sun (of all fkin papers) about De Ligt today and seemed to have no concept of how much clickbait bullsh*t transfer stories in the summer are.

#content

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

they really should retire that segment, it's terrible.

On a positive note, really want to see that Maradona film after their discussion with its director, and also check out Amy. If either are as good as Senna they'll both be worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    they really should retire that segment, it's terrible.

On a positive note, really want to see that Maradona film after their discussion with its director, and also check out Amy. If either are as good as Senna they'll both be worth watching.

especially as it's usually a letter from some smarmy git trying to be super witty

it's always a fast forward for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm assuming Ken was playing devils advocate on the USA womens team and that Klopp shíte. I agree with Murph on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Tim Vickery - I get it, he's a South American sports correspondent. That said, he really hammers it home when pronouncing the names of South American footballers.

He sounded like my uncle from Limerick blind drunk after a wedding trying to pronounce Roberto Firmino or Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

lawred2 wrote: »
    especially as it's usually a letter from some smarmy git trying to be super witty

it's always a fast forward for me

Usually it's fairly unbearable alright, but it was a but more bearable this week because they kinda took the piss out of the guy who wrote in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Tim Vickery - I get it, he's a South American sports correspondent. That said, he really hammers it home when pronouncing the names of South American footballers.

He sounded like my uncle from Limerick blind drunk after a wedding trying to pronounce Roberto Firmino or Coutinho.

Huh? He's based in South America speaks and pronounces the names as they would be pronounced in Spanish/Portuguese

Huh? He's based in South America speaks and pronounces the names as they would be pronounced in Spanish/Portuguese

Yes, that's apparent. I acknowledged that he is a South American sports correspondent in my original post. I find the pronunciation, correct or otherwise, distracting from the point he's making when he's contributing to a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yes, that's apparent. I acknowledged that he is a South American sports correspondent in my original post. I find the pronunciation, correct or otherwise, distracting from the point he's making when he's contributing to a podcast.

So you want him to mispronounce the names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Christ :rolleyes: Proof that people will complain about ANYTHING these days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Raoul wrote: »

I don't mind his pronunciation I'd rather hear the real way they're said, but I draw the line at people talking about Barcelona and Valencia like they have a bad lisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Noddy86

Joe Brolly loves the sound of Joe Brollys voice. In fact if Joe Brolly could just listen to Joe Brolly speaking non-stop then Joe Brolly would be delighted with that.

Decent listen but barely mentioned the book as Joe spun one yarn after another totally unrelated to eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Plenty of others do. Do you go around pronouncing Roberto Firmino as it should be? Do you drop the throaty "Ggghh" sound when mentioning David De Gea?
    Of course you don't, because it sounds pretentious and you'd be rightly labelled a "w*nker" for doing so.

Do other BBC sports correspondents pronounce Matt Doherty's name correctly?
    They throw a fictious 'C' in his name for Christ's sake.

Settle down. I don't find it that much of an issue or inconvenience to label it as a "complaint". More an observation, if that's OK.

How curious. This must be some sort of complex.

You intentionally incorrectly pronounce people's names to avoid sounding pretentious? Do you anglicise all Irish names when you're around non-Irish people?

Raoul wrote:

I don't want him to mispronounce them, but let's call a spade a spade. The man's English, he reports for the English press and his audience are English speakers, so it's nothing more than a pretense. Do you pronounce such names correctly in general conversation with English speakers? Do you go around pronouncing Roberto Firmino as it should be? Do you drop the throaty "Ggghh" sound when mentioning David De Gea?
    Of course you don't, because it sounds pretentious and you'd be rightly labelled a "w*nker" for doing so.

They throw a fictitious 'C' in his name for Christ's sake.
    Christ Proof that people will complain about ANYTHING these days

Settle down. I don't find it that much of an issue or inconvenience to label it as a "complaint". More an observation, if that's OK.

• Advertisement

Phonology of the Irish language varies greatly from dialect to dialect. So, for example if a GAA commentator from the West is referring to a hurler with a typical Connemara-esque name, then, as I have a Dublin accent and dialect, I will, most likely, pronounce it completely different when around anyone, non-Irish or otherwise. This doesn't mean, in anyway, that I would be mispronouncing it intentionally.

Raoul wrote:

I don't want him to mispronounce them, but let's call a spade a spade. The man's English, he reports for the English press and his audience are English speakers, so it's nothing more than a pretense. Do you pronounce such names correctly in general conversation with English speakers? Do you go around pronouncing Roberto Firmino as it should be? Do you drop the throaty "Ggghh" sound when mentioning David De Gea?

They throw a fictitious 'C' in his name for Christ's sake.
    Christ Proof that people will complain about ANYTHING these days

Bit weird, Pete. If you met a Brazilian woman with a name tag which said Rafa, who introduced herself as Hafa, how would you pronounce it when addressing her after that?

Noddy86 wrote: »
    Joe Brolly loves the sound of Joe Brollys voice. In fact if Joe Brolly could just listen to Joe Brolly speaking non-stop then Joe Brolly would be delighted with that.

Decent listen but barely mentioned the book as Joe spun one yarn after another totally unrelated to eachother.

Wouldn't let the lads finish a question without interrupting them halfway through.

Bit weird, Pete. If you met a Brazilian woman with a name tag which said Rafa, who introduced herself as Hafa, how would you pronounce it when addressing her after that?

Well, in that instance, I would most definitely try make some sort of a quip along the lines of "Hafa? You must be Hafa'ing me on."

Which would obviously be followed by rapturous applause and hearty laughing. After that, meh, I'd probably call her Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I heard Tim Vickery on the world football phone in recently. A Scottish caller took to Tim about free kicks and how you should be able to run with the ball from them and not have to pass. Tim was stumped for a second and then recovered to tell the caller how when football was invented the English would just run and run with the ball until they lost it. Again and again this happened. That was until the scots invented modern day football where the football was meant to be passed not dribbled out of possession or play.

Probably the best answer to a phone in question I’ve ever heard. The man is different class to the normal voices you hear on football pods.

I'm joking of course with my previous response to your question. If someone mentioned their name was pronounced a certain way, then yes, of course I would make effort to pronounce it as they would like.

For the record, I do think Tim Vickery is a good correspondent and makes excellent points. However, as per one of my earlier posts, when I pronounces a South American player's name, as it should sound, with such vigour and gusto, then I find it a little, for the want of better word, distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Noddy86 wrote: »

I was glad of all the tangents. I thought Joe Demaggio was a boxer so I'd little interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I listened to only the first quarter of the Joe Brolly pod today but are they going to to through the whole thing without ever acknowledging how badly they've spoken about him over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dulux99 wrote: »
    I listened to only the first quarter of the Joe Brolly pod today but are they going to to through the whole thing without ever acknowledging how badly they've spoken about him over the years?

He thrives on people getting wound up about his schtick.

I can't wait to listen to this episode. I like Brolly, anyway, and I love when they cover stuff outside of the latest news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Joe Brolly is odd.

He takes himself seriously, wants other people to take him seriously, but is terrified that people might think that he takes himself too seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement