Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Do you ONLY care about irish football ? as a supporter of course, cause one seems to be a mundane administrating issue and the other a talking point in a world cup where there were issues in the game and post game.

People will remember it as the issue with VAR continues and behavior and arrogance of managers and some press.

But i must listen to OTB to have the tits bored off me about how the FAI haven't done something yet again and get excited about PDF file.

Id agree the governance report is possibly mundane but I do like to know where irish football is going in the post Delaney era. Is there going to be changes? is there going to be a plan? Is there actually money there to implement change or could FIFA have to take over. Irish football is right now in a bit of flux with a very uncertain future yet it seems most people seem to be oblivious to this and we may end up worst off in the long run.

Ken telling us that the governance report says there should be more governance it fairly symbolic of this.

It’s early days but I hope there’s enough attention given to the issue over the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Id agree the governance report is possibly mundane but I do like to know where irish football is going in the post Delaney era.Is there going to be changes?

No
    is there going to be a plan?

No
    Is there actually money there to implement change or could FIFA have to take over.

No
    Irish football is right now in a bit of flux with a very uncertain future yet it seems most people seem to be oblivious to this and we may end up worst off in the long run.

Everyone is aware and i presume dont give a monkeys due to the years is continued money grabbing
    Ken telling us that the governance report says there should be more governance it fairly symbolic of this.

Ever sat through a governance meeting ? What do you think the answer would be if say a health and safety officer was to ask does said company need more health and safety ?
    It’s early days but I hope there’s enough attention given to the issue over the rest of the year

im sure it will get its talk time when more fun talking points fade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Id agree the governance report is possibly mundane but I do like to know where irish football is going in the post Delaney era. Is there going to be changes? is there going to be a plan? Is there actually money there to implement change or could FIFA have to take over. Irish football is right now in a bit of flux with a very uncertain future yet it seems most people seem to be oblivious to this and we may end up worst off in the long run.

It’s early days but I hope there’s enough attention given to the issue over the rest of the year.

You can't legislate integrity into existence. As long as FAI officialdom is largely composed of spivs, you can stack reports to the ceiling for all they matter.

corwill wrote: »
    You can't legislate integrity into existence. As long as FAI officialdom is largely composed of spivs, you can stack reports to the ceiling for all they matter.

We’ve seen a “spiv” stand down from the Board in the past week. And we have seen funding from the government suspended. It isn’t quite as simple or a lost cause as you put forward I feel.

We’ve seen a “spiv” stand down from the Board in the past week. And we have seen funding from the government suspended. It isn’t quite as simple or a lost cause as you put forward I feel.

I hope so, but I fear there needs to be more of a clear about before talks of reforms to structures and processes are worth putting any faith in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Alan Cawley is always on that 5 a side team. Any idea why the lads never had him on?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ken talked about Phil Neville and pressers for 50 minutes and summarized the FAI governance report by saying it says there should be more governance. Funny and all but Dan Mcdonnell on OTB talked in depth on Saturday about the governance report with Nathan Murphy. I know what I care more about as an Irish football supporter.

I found it odd they decided to do a 90-minute football podcast in the dog days of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I found it odd they decided to do a 90-minute football podcast in the dog days of summer.

People want/need/demand football news

More please.....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Nothing that odd about it, of a Monday. Plus it's a predominantly football orientated podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Raoul wrote: »
    Alan Cawley is always on that 5 a side team. Any idea why the lads never had him on?

And why doesn't Ken play in these things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

hankless wrote: »
    Nothing that odd about it, of a Monday. Plus it's a predominantly football orientated podcast.

Interesting chat with the referee on Monday also. Tough what they go through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Obrieski wrote: »

Career ending injury from his Marseille days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

People want/need/demand football news

More please.....

I don't particularly in late June, tbh...
    hankless wrote: »

Odd in that the usual Monday footie podcast is an hour and a bit. I wouldn't particularly miss it if they knocked it off altogether for the summer, but then I'm not paying...

Yeah you'd think with his Marseilles experience he'd be lording it...

Interesting chat with the referee on Monday also. Tough what they go through

It's absolutely appalling what goes on in local soccer and GAA. The seeming lack of concern by the FAI is not even a tiny bit surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Ken/Hope Solo dynamic has been good. And listening to the podcast has convinced me to support USA tonight against England. Phil Neville is an awful knobend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God, yeah, Phil Neville's comments throughout the World Cup have been embarrassingly bad - the man is clearly an absolute idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That rundown on the Arsenal finances was really good too, best bit I've heard on SC in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cienciano wrote: »
    That rundown on the Arsenal finances was really good too, best bit I've heard on SC in a while.
    Link here: https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1145583489103945728

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Yeah it was great insight from a non Arsenal supporter.

Sigh!

What I don't understand is how bad Arsenal are at selling.
    Liverpool can sell Ings for around £20m and Arsenal are selling WC winner and near 20 goal a season striker Giroud for £15m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Arghus wrote: »
    God, yeah, Phil Neville's comments throughout the World Cup have been embarrassingly bad - the man is clearly an absolute idiot.

I used to put up for him when he played for my team (Everton) on the basis he always gave it 100% and never hid, but even I can't tolerate him now after this world cup, he's been a pompous idiot every time a microphone is put under his mouth. And as for dressing like Southgate? That's just weird. England do like a company man, committee man type as their manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thought Ken was over-egging it a bit.

Life ain't always empty.

Arseblog’s podcast is excellent at the moment at covering the issues that are ongoing at Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arseblog’s podcast is excellent at the moment at covering the issues that are ongoing at Arsenal.

And magpies. Lots of magpie issues.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    And magpies. Lots of magpie issues.

Think i heard that mentioned but it was on the Patreon content that I don’t subscribe to.

I did hear his co-host’s sad lament for his ill-fated holiday in France and the questionable conduct of his co-travelers.

It might become old, only hearing about Arsenal, but very entertained by Arseblog at the moment.

The ladies mustn't have had that glazed look in their eyes tonight.

The new 24 hour Off The Ball radio station has something called OTB Gold - The Best of OTB since 2002.

Could be some intetesting stuff on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The new 24 hour Off The Ball radio station has something called OTB Gold - The Best of OTB since 2002.

I can only imagine that that 24 hour radio station is going to

a. replay live segments from that day over and over
    b. replay old content endlessly

wtf is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Be interesting to see if they play any segments with the Second captains lads back in their OTB days or have they been airbrushed from history

deisedude wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if they play any segments with the Second captains lads back in their OTB days or have they been airbrushed from history

I'd be very surprised.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    I can only imagine that that 24 hour radio station is going to

a. replay live segments from that day over and over
    b. replay old content endlessly

wtf is the point?

It's odd in the sense that most of it is podcasted anyway, so if you have access to this station, you have access to most of the repeats whenever you want them anyway.

Also, if you were to listen to the live bits on this, you're not listening to Newstalk. Although I admit I've no idea how that affects listener figures in relation to ad sponsors. Same ads, I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement