Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Ospreys, Friday 03rd May 19:45, TG4/S4C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Now you are talking,Tiger.

SOB is bascially a young bull-great when introduced firstly on he scene.Does a few moves in his infancy and impresses the cows.Bombs across the field,sun on his back.Legend.All good.

Then the old bull(s) comes on the scene and slowly starts to figure him out.

Question now is do you snip him,let him have some more grass and eat him or let him grow?

Im not sure but I do love a nice T-bone.:D

Sense, this makes little.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

SOB is bascially a young bull-great when introduced firstly on he scene.Does a few moves in his infancy and impresses the cows.Bombs across the field,sun on his back.Legend.All good.

Question now is do you snip him,let him have some more grass and eat him or let him grow?

......oh, for he love of God, what on earth....??????!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

trouttrout wrote: »
    humor fail

All messing aside,anyone know how many tries he got this season and how many metres he made when he got past the first tackle?

That would be of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

All messing aside,anyone know how many tries he got this season and how many metres he made when he got past the first tackle?

Go on, tell us then. I actually think he's played well this season, when fit, but I'd be interested in hearing the statisics you've researched to criticise him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pretty sure he has ridiculous tackling stats too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Have a gander for yourself http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/stats/index.html?class=1;type=player

You do realise that there is more to back-row play than tries and metres made?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In ERC rugby this season, he has averaged 27.5m per game with ball in hand which is seriously impressive considering two of his four games were against Clermont and there's no game that really skews his stats; he made consistent ground in all games.

Whilst doing this, he still managed to consistently be one of the top tacklers on the field, completing 9.75 tackles per game. No other Leinster player matches that count for the 4 games, including Heaslip who is generally acknowledged to be Leinster's biggest tackler.

He also beat 7 defenders in them. It doesn't seem like the opposition have him figured out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

I'm willing to bet that SOB knows a lot more about both back-row play and those bulls and cattle that you're talking about than you do yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

O'Brien is world class, what is this nonsense.
    Top class tackler, one of the best ball carriers, great on the ground

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

SOB was one of Ireland's best performers in the 6N. He was excellent yesterday as well. Considering the ridiculous competition for the backrow places on the Lions, I don't think any backrow who is 'overrated' would be touring. Silverbirch probably suffers from the simplistic "if hes not making 40metre breaks there's something wrong" mentality. Is he making the breaks he did in 2011/2012? No, but his game is still superb. Hes outrageously marked at this stage, just like BOD was after his break through years. He completely world class. Selected on the 2011 World Cup dream team, ERC player of the year in 2011, outplayed Richie McCaw in NZ in 2012 and Ireland's top performer in 6N in 2013. Less of the nonsense please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Sense, this makes little.

I think he's comparing SOB to John Hayes, and then makes out that they are both rubbish.

You should take out a hit, thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So anyway, back to the game. It shows how much I know about rugby anyway, which is apparently sweet F A. Really delighted with the result. To get a TBP win over our bogey team while missing a lot of our first string team is huge IMO. Special mention has to go to Jack McGrath and Jamie Hagan in the front row. I thought both were really excellent. Luke McGrath for his first senior start did very well too. Some of his passing wasn't 100% but if that's the only complaint we have then it was a pretty good display from him.

Ferg had a very good game from outside centre, which I was worried about. And Conway. Well what can I say. Again that shows me after what I said in my preview. Yes he wasn't great defensively and was at fault for a try but that still leaves him 2 tries to the good so I'm not going to get too upset over it.

Disappointed Drico didn't come on. Really wanted to get another rendition of 1 More Year going.

Isa and Heinke in the Laighann Out afterwards rounded off a pretty decent night it has to be said. Great to see Heinke get the reception he got alongside Isa. And the Happy Birthday. Unsung hero if ever there was one. I really rate him and while so many people bang on about Isa, it seemed Heinke was quietly slipping away. Great to see him get the acknowledgement from the fans.

Semi-final tickers booked. Roll on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Anyone got a video of Healy's try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

trouttrout wrote: »
    Anyone got a video of Healy's try?

Did Conway slap that back into his path? If so it's a masterful piece of skill

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Think he was a bit lucky, looked like he was trying to gather it and maybe thinking about the pass too early. Bounce favored us though... as it did most of the night. All that money towards the grounds keeping staff paid off! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Thoughts on Quinn Roux last night?

Also, anyone know what the story with Boss is? Hope the injury isn't bad, because we'l certainly need him for the Glasgow game.

Also, anyone know what the story with Boss is? Hope the injury isn't bad, because we'l certainly need him for the Glasgow game.

Thought he was poor. Still way to early to say if he's been a decent signing but I think Leinster fans would like to see a bit more from him next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I don't understand Roux.He looks like a big strong guy,but he falls off tackles anyone should make,like the one on Biggar that allowed him to score.He reminds me of Devin Toner two seasons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Textbook Freddie pose by Healy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I don't understand Roux.He looks like a big strong guy,but he falls off tackles anyone should make,like the one on Biggar that allowed him to score.He reminds me of Devin Toner two seasons ago.

His missed tackle count must be absolutely enormous. Technique is so poor.

I dunno, I don't see much in him bar a very athletic frame. Not good in lineout and poor pillar.

He does carry well and is very quick, though should be hitting more rucks with his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

His missed tackle count must be absolutely enormous. Technique is so poor.

I dunno, I don't see much in him bar a very athletic frame. Not good in lineout and poor pillar.

He does carry well and is very quick, though should be hitting more rucks with his size.

hes still clearly a work in progress and lets hope one more year can straighten out the issues he has. Id say the strong showing in the scrum can be directly related to him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I've defended Roux before and still think there is potential there, but it's gota be Cullen-Toner from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Joes doing a great job of managing his squad with rotation and injuries.
    We should be fairly fresh going into the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Boss and EOM were eating icecreams at HT behind the Anglesea stand.... Dunno what relevance that has, but the icecream truck behind the Anglesea stand serves up a mean 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Swan Curry wrote: »
    He has certainly been dropping off tackles in the last two games I've seen him in. However in his early cameos before his injury, that wasn't evident in his play, so I feel he's lost a bit of confidence and gained a bit of fear.

I think he just needs a decent run of games to get the confidence back and lose the fear and I'd say that's what Joe's trying to achieve.

Worth it I'd say because he looked like the real deal early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Roux broke his collar bone mid season and there's a few posters in the Leinster team thread that have done the same saying it took them about 4 months before they were back to their best and weren't compensating for it. I'd be willing to give him loads of time and assume his tackling isn't 100% yet. To be fair the whole team's tackling has been ropey at times this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Quinn hasn't been great lately but from earlier in the season it's very easy to see that if he's lucky with injury for the next 6 months he could well be starting beside McCarthy in October. With a full preseason he could be very good.

And he'll be very useful to have off the bench for the rest of this season.

I think we might have great strength at lock next season when McCarthy is here, with Cullen, Toner, Marshall and Roux fighting it out for spots. And in 3/4 years time hopefully the likes of Flanagan or Thornbury will put on pressure to replace McCarthy.

God I hope McCarthy doesn't flop!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »
    Boss and EOM were eating icecreams at HT behind the Anglesea stand.... Dunno what relevance that has, but the icecream truck behind the Anglesea stand serves up a mean 99.

Hardy souls, would have thought it was a tad cold for ice creams at HT :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

While we're talking about food at the RDS,did anyone here use the mustard at the Sausage Shack near the South Stand?If so,did it taste really strange,almost like bleach for anyone else?I know this is a strange question,but I'd like to know if it was just me or not.

Advertisement