Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Ospreys, Friday 03rd May 19:45, TG4/S4C

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Biggar utterly dressed down by Mr. Owens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LukeyPoke

Buer wrote: »
    World's fattest winger gets over for the icing.

Christ, Ospreys are a wee bit susceptible to the kick in behind.

I'm loving Grumpy Johnny's new sparkling dinks behind the Osprey's players. Hopefully we'll see plenty of them for the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

World's fattest winger gets over for the icing.

Christ, Ospreys are a wee bit susceptible to the kick in behind.

Most teams who blitz tend to be, surprised we took so long to figure that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Hopefully that's the Osprey off our back.

P_1 wrote: »
    Most teams who blitz tend to be, surprised we took so long to figure that out

Sorry, you're right. I've seen the tactic attempted against them repeatedly but never as effective as tonight. Leinster weren't necessarily winning the kicks behind, Ospreys were just absolutely terrified and making an utter balls of gathering them. Maybe I'm reaching, but Sexton was putting a wicked spin and sideways end over end on a couple of them, making them awful to deal with.

• Advertisement

All they needed to do was win tonight as Scarlets lost. They actrually didn't just lose, Treviso stuck 40 on them in Wales!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A BP win against the Ospreys is always a god day's work though

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

P_1 wrote: »
    A BP win against the Ospreys is always a god day's work though

Nah he didn't get off the bench today

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

TG$ saying we play Glasgow in semis, I thought a top of league, we play 4th, i.e. Scarlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

brian1976 wrote: »
    TG$ saying we play Glasgow in semis, I thought a top of league, we play 4th, i.e. Scarlets?

ooops, thought we were top :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

And Ulster (as actual league leaders) will be doing just that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

First plays fourth, second plays third.

Hope that the Aussies missed that game, because Sexton showed exactly how to combat Wales / Gatland's rush defence...

Also, anyone notice Madigan taking one of the kicks?

Means he ties for % for Golden Boot with Halfpenny (60/69 vs 20/23) but I assume wins it due to taking more attempts?

Again, it's a pity he can't kick. Could have been an excellent option for Ireland otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm impressed with Luke McGrath's defence. Good technique and bravery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Who was the MOTM??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Who was the MOTM??

Surely the hat-trick hero Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

SOB got MOTM. I think it was more a case of tg4 wanting to talk to him about lions selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Who was the MOTM??

SOB

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm impressed with Luke McGrath's defence. Good technique and bravery.

Passing has improved but still needs to keep working on it. Doesn't have the power through the ball. His pass fades and the accuracy is also off. One good opportunity was killed in the first half after a line break and quick recycle and he passed to receiver's shins.

He has the natural talent. Should be a special project with skills coaches working double time with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Who was the MOTM??

O'Brien

I would have given it to McFadden, he was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Who do people think has more potential, McGrath or Cooney?

yimrsg wrote: »
    SOB got MOTM. I think it was more a case of tg4 wanting to talk to him about lions selection.

Thought he was excellent at the breakdown in fairness. The one where he sacked the maul carrier and killed the ball in a split second on our own line was the difference between men and boys. Thought Ruddock was very good too in the pack along with McGrath.

Conway took his tries well but in a game where we were defending for long periods and put in a huge shift in the set piece, I think a forward was a good call.

Who do people think has more potential, McGrath or Cooney?

The potential ceiling for McGrath is far higher. Cooney could be a solid HEC player in time. McGrath could be a solid international.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Conway leaving upsets me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I've always said and believed that Conway has a much if not more potential then Zebo. Zebo has taken his chances brilliantly at Munster, whereas injury and the huge line of stars ahead of him has held Conway back. He's one for the future, hopefully we see him back at Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

OOH, AAH, JACK MCGRATH - I SAID OOH AHH JACK MCGRATH!

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Nigel refused to ref the breakdown at all and as usual when that happens we suffered quite a bit.

Great win though. Happy with that.

Sorry, you're right. I've seen the tactic attempted against them repeatedly but never as effective as tonight. Leinster weren't necessarily winning the kicks behind, Ospreys were just absolutely terrified and making an utter balls of gathering them. Maybe I'm reaching, but Sexton was putting a wicked spin and sideways end over end on a couple of them, making them awful to deal with.

Nah you're right, I had an excellent view of two of them from the stands and he was putting them on the outside of his boot and just dinking them, causing them to spin end over end and towards touch, Ospreys didn't want to risk touching the ball and conceding lineouts so they just weren't touching them.

• Advertisement

Luke was excellent today. Surprised he was parachuted in ahead of Cooney though, but he made a lot of good decisions and I think the top level rugby and stood to him. Cooney is far more solid, even now, but makes poor decisions, and really that can only be fixed with game time. Luke would be the next scrummie in line for me if he could learn to pass off his right into a players hands. Sexton was reaching down to his boot straps for most of the night.

Jack was immense. That scrum on the 10m line was unreal. He destroyed Jones. Jones was doing his best to pull him down and McGrath just minced him until he buckled. Seriously impressive stuff. If it wasn't for James' cheating I thought our starting front row would've marched their scrum off the field. Seriously impressive for what we considered our third choice props at the beginning of the season.

Surprised at SOB getting MoTM, but then I did miss alot of the breakdown stuff you'd see on TV. He was knackered going off though, he's one of those players that really hits a dip after being rested and takes a while getting back up to speed. Hopefully now he'll have 3 games to get back up to speed for the lions.

Thought Jennings was immense, really put the hurt on the Ospreys, and disrupted most of their ruck ball. He was in the scrummies face for the whole game, forcing their pass to go deep.

Defensively we were very naive, but I guess that what's happens when we play our 2nd string side.

MoTM for me was Joe. Tactical master class. Knew if he could keep it tight he had the big guns to bring it on, and knew exactly what to change up in the 2nd half, kick low and kick often.

Absolutely one of the most satisfying wins in ages. If he hadn't conceded a few soft tries it'd be perfect, but as it stands it's so refreshing to get that monkey off our back and in turn get a home semi final out of it.

Advertisement