Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Ospreys, Friday 03rd May 19:45, TG4/S4C

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

P_1 wrote: »
    Hardy souls, would have thought it was a tad cold for ice creams at HT :pac:

Ah common, I hate that kinda talk. We live in Ireland for feck sake, no time is right for icecream. Meaning every time is right! Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swan Curry wrote: »
    While we're talking about food at the RDS,did anyone here use the mustard at the Sausage Shack near the South Stand?If so,did it taste really strange,almost like bleach for anyone else?I know this is a strange question,but I'd like to know if it was just me or not.

You mean the yellow bottle of bleach beside the Sausage Shack near the South Stand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Interesting game plan from Osperys, dress like Clermont to instil fear in the Leinster camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyone else notice Nige posing for pictures down the north stand before ko?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

yimrsg wrote: »
    Roux broke his collar bone mid season and there's a few posters in the Leinster team thread that have done the same saying it took them about 4 months before they were back to their best and weren't compensating for it. I'd be willing to give him loads of time and assume his tackling isn't 100% yet. To be fair the whole team's tackling has been ropey at times this year.

Also, Roux is still only a wee lad at 22. honestly, sometimes I forget how young he is. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thetl

ConFurioso wrote: »
    Also, Roux is still only a wee lad at 22. honestly, sometimes I forget how young he is. :o

Yes very early to be writing him off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »
    14 I thought. Was sprinting across and did a cartoon stutter stop, trying to turn and run back when he saw the long pass coming.
    LukeyPoke wrote: »
    No Conway was caught completely out of position on that one. He actually turns around and runs the other way when he realizes his mistake. These mistakes can be ironed out but you can't coach the type of pace he is.

It was Kearney who rushed out of defence. You can see the 15 jersey at 32sec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

CatFromHue wrote: »

It was Kearney who rushed out of defence. You can see the 15 jersey at 32sec
    But it was Conway who was out of position. He should have been covering wing and left acres of space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't remember the play before the clip so don't know why Conway was so far in.

In saying that there's no reason why Kearney should have rushed out of the line like that with so many players inside him and only one guy for him to cover on the outside. It was a high risk move by Kearney and it failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I can't remember the play before the clip so don't know why Conway was so far in.

In saying that there's no reason why Kearney should have rushed out of the line like that with so many players inside him and only one guy for him to cover on the outside. It was a high risk move by Kearney and it failed.
    It's high risk, but something Leinster players seem do a lot. On your own line, it can push the attacking line back and may force a turnover. Kearney may have done it because he knew there was no-one outside him and he was never going to be able to drift that wide.

• Advertisement

I don't see why he couldn't make the drift.

The players inside him nearly did so why couldn't he when he was far closer to the last attacker, who wasn't even that wide (he was at around the 15m mark).

To me it's Kearney has made a mistake in defence but Conway is getting the blame, which is rubbish.

To me I almost think Kearney rushed up as he didn't want to have a one on one with the last attacker as his one on one defence is so bad. Rushing up is easier and makes it appear like you're working in defence, staying out was the better option but Kearney ignored it bizarrely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I don't see why he couldn't make the drift.

The players inside him nearly did so why couldn't he when he was far closer to the last attacker, who wasn't even that wide (he was at around the 15m mark).

To me it's Kearney has made a mistake in defence but Conway is getting the blame, which is rubbish.

To me I almost think Kearney rushed up as he didn't want to have a one on one with the last attacker as his one on one defence is so bad. Rushing up is easier and makes it appear like you're working in defence, staying out was the better option but Kearney ignored it bizarrely!

Ah come on now. :rolleyes:
    Just seems like a Kearney bashing exercise. Talk of his defence being so bad is way exaggerated, much of it stemming from the Gray try where I still think he made the correct decision.

Not really, his defence really is very bad for a full back of his quality.

You regularly see him turn his back on attackers and run with them, go too high in tackles, when given a decision to make he takes the wrong one, and just look ponderous in defence.

There was no reason for him to rush up like he did against the Ospreys, they didn't have an overlap , we had a cover on the inside, he only had one man to cover on the outside who wasn't even that far on the outside. He's just a bad defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Kearney must've seen there was nobody covering the wing and shot up to try and close the pass down, because there was absolutely no other way that try could've been prevented. It was the right call to shoot out. Conway should've been marking his man on the wing tho. That's just bad defense systems, which is why you miss BOD so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not really, his defence really is very bad for a full back of his quality.

You regularly see him turn his back on attackers and run with them, go too high in tackles, when given a decision to make he takes the wrong one, and just look ponderous in defence.

There was no reason for him to rush up like he did against the Ospreys, they didn't have an overlap , we had a cover on the inside, he only had one man to cover on the outside who wasn't even that far on the outside. He's just a bad defender.

They did? They had one outside which is why he shot out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I was at the game and leinsters defensive set up had Conway inside Kearney. Kearney was the last man for some reason with Conway defending inside him. Kearney made the decision to shoot in on the man who was already marked by Conway and McFadden. I don't know why Kearney was outside Conway as Conway is clearly quicker but that's how it was set up.
    I don't blame Kearney though, it was a very very good pass to get away to the last man. 8 or 9 times out of 10 that last pass wouldn't have got away and Leinster would have a turnover so I see why he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

It was the last five minutes of a game that was already won, a serious scramble defense that had the entire Leinster backline sucked in way too tight

I really wouldn't be reading into anyone's individual defense based on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah don't know what Conway was doing so far infield, but Sexton is calling way too many players over to the blind side at the start and Ospreys fan out again and Leinster didn't react.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, it's not an individual thing and your defensive organisation can't be perfect all the time. It would be an annoying try to lose a game over, but thankfully it didn't cost us.

.ak wrote: »
    They did? They had one outside which is why he shot out?

I think Kearney should have been able to cover him (Isaacs). An overlap would have been if they'd another player outside Isaacs which then would have made sense for him to rush up and try and stop the pass.

I don't think it matters if Conway was inside or outside Kearney as he should have been able to read that he was the last defender, that there were plenty of defenders inside him, and that there was one attacker outside him. Remember this wasn't after a big break by the Ospreys and Leinster were scrambling in defence to get back, it was after a scrum on the Leinster 5m line and it was the first time the ball had been moved further than first receiver. It was relatively speaking static move.

For me it's Kearney who made a mistake here not Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I've always thought Conway is actually a very good defender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement