Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the pros and cons of multiracial multicultural society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nodin wrote: »
    So you don't believe in ensuring that disabled persons are treated fairly in the workplace?
    It depends on what you mean by "fairly." You'd need to explain that.
    It would make sense if all people of a particular were the same homogenous block, but crime transcends culture, and is present in every country.
    Then please explain to me why Japan has a low crime rate.

And BTW some crimes do not transcend culture - they are exclusive to inferior cultures. Honour killings, Female Genital Mutilation etc are specific to lower cultures. Take for example the Turkish community in Berlin where honour killing is a respected part of life.
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/the-death-of-a-muslim-woman-the-whore-lived-like-a-german-a-344374.html
    For her family, such behavior represented the ultimate shame -- the embrace of "corrupt" Western ways.
    But what was even more telling was the response from the community.
    "She deserved what she got. The whore lived like a German."
    Or the rise in bullying of schoolgirls that don't cover up:
    "Teachers from across the country wrote back saying they had had similar experiences," Boehmecke said. They reported Turkish boys taunting Turkish girls who don't wear headscarves as "German sluts."
    Now, remember this is in Germany. What a multicultural paradise. :rolleyes:

Now, I know that you and Nodin don't have a problem with any of this because you've as much as said so, repeatedly.

But hey, maybe it's just my:
    my Irish-centric perspective
    :rolleyes:
    I mean, despite the fact that I'm an Irish citizen and resident, who am I to judge these barbarians with (deficient according to the cultural-relativist-Left) "Irish-centric perspective" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

SeanW wrote: »
    It depends on what you mean by "fairly." You'd need to explain that.

You don't understand the concept of "fairness" now?

You don't understand the concept of "fairness" now?
    I mean, what policies are you referring to?
    Preventing "negative" discrimination?
    Building buildings to accomodate people with limited mobility?
    Or something more extreme like "positive" discrimination, e.g. preferential hiring decisions?

You need to be clear what you mean by "fair" because that word could be open to misinterpretation.

I mean, what policies are you referring to?
    Preventing "negative" discrimination?
    Building buildings to accomodate people with limited mobility?
    Or something more extreme like "positive" discrimination, e.g. preferential hiring decisions?

You need to be clear what you mean by "fair" because that word could be open to misinterpretation.

It's not open to misinterpretation. Its making sure that people are not passed over because of their disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

It's not open to misinterpretation. Its making sure that people are not passed over because of their disability.

Is it fair to pass over a more competent person for the job, to give it to
    someone just because they have a disability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

why are yous arguing over disability? ^^^^^^^^^^read the thread title again.

our workforce was opened to all of europe and beyond, theres loads of african guys who work with me and they seem to be able to get jobs here no problem. didnt know that was possible. i thought it was europe only?

0066ad wrote: »
    Is it fair to pass over a more competent person for the job, to give it to
    someone just because they have a disability?

Afaik, that doesn't happen.

emo72 wrote: »

our workforce was opened to all of europe and beyond,..........

No, you'll find it wasn't. The only free movement was with other EU countries.

No, you'll find it wasn't. The only free movement was with other EU countries.

then how come all the african lads that work with me get jobs legally?

then how come all the african lads that work with me get jobs legally?

...because they're students, have been granted asylum....? Why not ask them?

• Advertisement

i know a couple of them were students, but they just seem to work in full time jobs and never go to school. im assuming that this is illegal? or is this just overlooked nowadays by immigration?

i know a couple of them were students, but they just seem to work in full time jobs and never go to school. im assuming that this is illegal? or is this just overlooked nowadays by immigration?

Well if they're here to study and they're working full time, I presume it is illegal. You should report them to immigration if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ahhh the joys of zero immigration controls

Gatling wrote: »
    Ahhh the joys of zero immigration controls

We don't have "zero immigration controls".

Well if they're here to study and they're working full time, I presume it is illegal. You should report them to immigration if thats the case.

well i suppose one drawback so is some people abuse their legal entry into the country and take jobs that legal immigrants and irish citizens could badly use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Now, remember this is in Germany. What a multicultural paradise. :rolleyes:

I started school in Dublin. I moved to the countryside when I was 5. Throughout primary school I was bullied by kids that kept teasing me because I had a different accent. I was called brit, traitor and all sorts. This is because I was born in the UK.

That might have been kids being kids, but it's still racism. I was a small child with irish parents who who was abused because of where my accent originated. I still have the same accent today. Just like the girls being called german sluts, my own people decided to single me out and taunt me because of my differences. So before you go pointing your finger at turkish kids (Because you'd have to. After all you look down on muslims), remember that irish kids are just as bigoted and full of hate as any other race. And if you want to declare that they are nasty, you have to accept that irish kids can be just as bad.

A few years ago I was jumped by some louts outside a bar. They beat the crap out of me. I've mentioned it before. What I didn't mention was that two of them kept calling me an english bastard. I now have a 3 inch scar on the back of my head because of those guys.

When multiculturalism fails it's because of people like that. People who hold some inner hatred of those that are different. It doesn't happen because of the person who moved into the area. It happens because the people already in the area are racist pricks.

well i suppose one drawback so is some people abuse their legal entry into the country and take jobs that legal immigrants and irish citizens could badly use.

Unfortunately there are always people who take advantage of things, and its impossible to follow everyone around 24 hours a day to make sure they're on the straight and narrow. Hence, if you suspect somebody is acting the bollix, grass them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Shenshen wrote: »
    The areas that had been mentioned, and that my quoted post had referred to.
    Better?

I think you should look at the maps again. They quite clearly demonstrate a paucity of non-Irish nationals across the South city, with a predomination in poorer areas such as the inner city, the airport area and Blanchardstown in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think you should look at the maps again. They quite clearly demonstrate a paucity of non-Irish nationals across the South city, with a predomination in poorer areas such as the inner city, the airport area and Blanchardstown in particular.

Strange. I lived in blanch for the last two years. I wouldn't call most of it poor. Maybe corduff. But very few poles etc live in corduff. But waterville, which is really nice has loads. I think you're just trying to make crap up. Or you're making information fit your notions.

i drove down ballyboughill road onto parnell street for the first time in years, and it was a shocker how much it has changed. whether its for the better or worse i dont know. its certainly different. its this what multicultural means?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Grayson wrote: »
    Strange. I lived in blanch for the last two years. I wouldn't call most of it poor. Maybe corduff. But very few poles etc live in corduff. But waterville, which is really nice has loads. I think you're just trying to make crap up. Or you're making information fit your notions.

I think what should be stated(and from the Finglas post) is that the concentration of immigrants is highest in the newer housing of the suburbs which incidentally is also cheap to rent.

However they are also concentrated in the cheapest housing in the inner city(both new and old housing) and that is probably because they simply want to live near the city centre.

The further out you go to the burbs, most have ended up in the newer housing(Waterville for example, Tyrellstown at Blanch, Northwood at Airport) and that maybe because its cheaper and newer to live in. Most Irish would be still in their semi-d's of the most established suburbs, a hangover from pre2000 builds.

Lefty whataboutery
    I'm sorry to hear about those things that happened to you, but I'm reasonably sure the stuff in Berlin is specifically linked to their culture. I highly doubt these children have decided that girls not covered are "sluts" and that murder victims "had it coming" on their own. They were influenced by the values of their parents. Who in turn are influenced by their culture, which they propogate from generation to poison filled generation.

With the full blessing of the multicultural left.
    (Because you'd have to. After all you look down on muslims)
    Nope. Only the crazy ones. Though I must admit the idea of an Islamic society anywhere doesn't really appeal to me given how most or all of them make Ireland under Archbishop McQuaid look like a freedom-loving liberal utopia.
    When multiculturalism fails it's because of people like that. People who hold some inner hatred of those that are different. It doesn't happen because of the person who moved into the area. It happens because the people already in the area are racist pricks.
    So it's ONLY ever the natives fault? Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Irish people complaining about immigration always makes me laugh. What planet are you people living on? Haha fcuking ha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Why is it a "con" if you are "white"?

Minorities can get into universities with poorer results in their exams than white people. I would hardly call that fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Irish people complaining about immigration always makes me laugh. What planet are you people living on? Haha fcuking ha!!

Irish people are culturally similar to English, Scottish, Welsh, Aussies etc though, so it's not quite the same. The problem is that a lot of immigrants are not blending in due to profound differences culturally.

woodoo wrote: »
    Minorities can get into universities with poorer results in their exams than white people. I would hardly call that fair.

Thats nice. You see no need to redress historic imbalance and bias then?

It can also fail when people from other cultures come and reject the native culture and refuse to integrate, even worse they look down on western culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Pug160 wrote: »
    Irish people are culturally similar to English, Scottish, Welsh, Aussies etc though, so it's not quite the same. The problem is that a lot of immigrants are not blending in due to profound differences culturally.

So we've only emigrated to Scotland, Wales, England and Australia? :confused:

As I said, it makes me laugh. Irish people in all four corners of the world (we haven't just emigrated to Britain and Australia) and here we have the usual suspects spouting the usual bile about the immigration to our country.

Many Australians are not happy with the carry-on of the Irish over there so because we're white, doesn't mean we've adapted and respected the laws of the land in all cases.

Half of my family living in the States, most went over illegally to join the huuuuge amounts of Irish living there right now without papers "taking jobs from locals in a struggling economy".

Irish in Korea, Japan, Canada, South America, Europe....everywhere you go you find us.

Of ALL the countries in the world to complain when millions of us have been accepted worldwide even when our own behaviour has been questionable. It's rich beyond belief.

Can you imagine if all of us (I live in Spain) decided to come home??? Good god!!

Thats nice. You see no need to redress historic imbalance and bias then?

I see no need to treat people differently. If the minorities can't get the grades they don't deserve the place. Quite often these people aren't new arrivals they have been in america for generations. They just happen to be a different race that white. Are you OK with a white person missing out on a place at their favoured University so someone with worse grades gets the place instead?

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    I see no need to treat people differently. If the minorities can't get the grades they don't deserve the place. ...............?

...and if they don't get the grades because of a few hundred years of oppression that only offically really came to an end in the 1960's...? Because it appears to me you want to have a good old whinge about the system, but aren't too eager to consider why it exists. Or that exists in the workplace for more than issues of "race"......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement