Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny says Public Sector workers no longer have job security.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

true wrote: »
    because there are 400,000 unemployed, hundreds of thousands are emigrating or have emigrated. In addition, there are countless self-employed just hanging in there making f*** all money but who cannot get the dole as their partner is working or they have a (partially paid for ) house.....thus keeping the unemployment figures down.
    Average public sector salary is 49k a year. You may be lucky enough to work in a career where you "don't understand why anyone would go looking for a job in the Civil Service anymore", but that says more about you and your profession than about anything else.

Is there any section of the workforce you don't have a gripe with?

Public, private it doesn't seem to make a difference. Someday, when you get your Junior Cert you might actually grow up.

*awaits the inevitable PS 49%..blah blah.......pensions blah blah.....teachers blah blah.......accountants blah blah*

yawns

the person who made the claim is a professional, and no, the other professionals in the public sector who I know do or have done nixers were relatively well off, and did not need to do it in order to put food on the table lol.

It's good to know you have an in depth knowledege of all your friends household budgets

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sack all the old lazy fcuks not doing a good enough job, there are so many better educated, computer savvy 20-35 year old people on the dole or being forced to flee this dump of a country, hire them and get the country running again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

So you "double job". You already have a highly paid public sector job, and you are so greedy you take private sector work as well because of the low hours you work in the public sector. ( avg 32 hours per week )

thats immoral as you are doing a private sector worker out of work - many of whom are unemployed and struggling to keep their kids fed / mortgage paid.

Shame on you.
    Prove that you wouldn't do the same, and you might be taken seriously.

I know for a fact btw that there are engineers in the private sector earning more than their counterparts in the public sector.
    To pretend this isn't true is just axe-grinding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Paulzx wrote: »
    It's good to know you have an in depth knowledege of all your friends household budgets
    don't need to have, its obvious from what they say and from their lifestyle. not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Do you not stop to consider that maybe the reason there is double jobbing in some sections of the public sector is because, despite your assertions, the wages aren't all that great and some people NEED to do the second jobs in order to "feed the kids"?

You're some muppet :D

According to true us PS workers don't need to feed the kids.........sure doesn't the private boarding schools we send them to take care of that.

The extra money is to buy all those 2nd & 3rd homes his estate agent friends have been selling to public servants, especially teachers it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would find that difficult to believe, given that public sector wages are statistically nearly double per hour that in the private sector. Ash any one in the private sector, from cleaner to security personnell to admin staff to architect what they earn compared to their counterparts in the public sector - that is, if they still have a job at all...

So you "double job". You already have a highly paid public sector job, and you are so greedy you take private sector work as well because of the low hours you work in the public sector. ( avg 32 hours per week )

thats immoral as you are doing a private sector worker out of work - many of whom are unemployed and struggling to keep their kids fed / mortgage paid.

Shame on you.
    nobody claimed you were immoral for working. However, you have a full time public sector job. You also claim you do a work after hours in the private sector.
    I also know public sector workers who have full time jobs and who do "nixers", but none of them pay tax. Some do it by "grinds" , some have earned money doing house drawings, site checking, quantity surveying, sports teaching etc.
    People who have the benefit of well paid public sector jobs and who then "double job" by doing nixers are doing some of those who would otherwise be employed a disservice. There are hundreds of thousands of unemployed who would love one job, not 2 like you. Maybe if you had a few kids to feed and not even one job then you would understand.

I think you will see it was yourself who used the term "immoral" at least remember your posts and what you say.

I actually refuse work a fair bit, I only do enough to make up for the money I have lost since my wages started to be cut, because some people think I earn too much. I have already stated that I pay tax on my earning, so whether or not other people do has nothing to do with me.

However, I don't turn work away for you reason of doing a disservice, will you cop on:pac: Personally, I turn away work because I work full time as it is, and limit the extra work I take on.

I forgot to add I do a small bit of pro bono work each year, I guess I am taking money away from people here too, when I see a few cases each year for free.

Go sell crazy somewhere else, because my practice is full

Madam_X wrote: »

If I was earning 80k a year in a nice secure, pensionable public sector job I would not do nixers. I know too many unemployed engineers , architects, quantity surveyors who are mates and who would be glad of a few crumbs from the table.

Madam_X wrote: »

I know for a fact btw that there are engineers in the private sector earning more than their counterparts in the public sector.
    To pretend this isn't true is just axe-grinding.

IT seems to be doing ok too - I only say this because all our IT staff left in the space of 6 months in 2011! And because of the recruitment embargo we've had to contract in the service - which is proving to be a bit of a pain in the hole. Cost aside, the contractor keeps changing the people on site with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

If I was earning 80k a year in a nice secure, pensionable public sector job I would not do nixers. I know too many unemployed engineers , architects, quantity surveyors who are mates and who would be glad of a few crumbs from the table.

It wasn't crumbs they wanted a few years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Jawgap wrote: »
    The extra money is to buy all those 2nd & 3rd homes his estate agent friends have been selling to public servants, especially teachers it seems.

It was the Gardai that bought all the houses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Kenny is just getting fed up at public service workers, just as the troika and nearly everyone else is. They are among the highest paid public sector workers in the world at an average of 49k a year, and have a shorter working week and statistically much more sickies than the private sector, and golden pensions, so Kenny is right for once.

I've been reading your posts on other threads about the public sector and just feel compelled to say that you keep on regurgitating the same oul bull about sickies and rolls royce pensions. Your posts reek of lazy pigeonholing and misinformed opinion.

You say Kenny, The Troika and nearly everyone else is sick of PS workers. This all seems a bit personal tbh. The Troika? They dont care too much where the money comes from as long as we make equitable savings. In fact, one of their biggest bugbears is welfare. Enda Kenny is sick of PS workers? Maybe you can work out the irony of that statement by yourself if you're not too busy torturing a voodoo doll of a local Garda.

Have your opinion, have your say, I'm all for it, but for god's sake will you please stop trotting out the same hackneyed drivel fed to you by the journos of the Indo, its beyond tedious at this stage.

I hate to break this to you @true, but the people in your therapy group are not actually 'mates' - they just happen to attend the same session as you

thats not the point

don't need to have, its obvious from what they say and from their lifestyle. not rocket science.

Do you have net curtains on your gaf?

Bit of a curtain twitcher?

Try to keep up with the Jones's much?

Nobody knows whats going on behind someones closed door and just because you think you can analyse somebodies financial situation by snooping at their public lifestyle doesn't make it so.

FFS during the so called boom the country was full of people who outwardly lived the life but were up to their bo***x in debt.

Just because you're envious doesn't make them wealthy

if they tell me they spend their nixer monety on xyz, I believe them. If i see them spending it on luxuries, I know the money was not earned to put food in their kids mouths.

What has 80k got to do with anything here?

Odysseus wrote: »
    What has 80k got to do with anything here?

It's the average amount lost by each public servant down the backs of their sofas each year!

According to those in the know.......

It reminds me of the story of the german ambassador about 5 years ago telling the story of how the irish consultants thought 200k was "micky mouse money", while consultants in germany earned half that.

It reminds me of the story of the german ambassador about 5 years ago telling the story of how the irish consultants thought 200k was "micky mouse money", while consultants in germany earned half that.

It's MICKEY - not micky! Turn your spellchecker on

Actually, I think there is only one micky around here.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

I can't formulate a reply sarcastic enough for this thread. I'm one of graduate nurses who the government tried to sell a €22,000 per year salary to. That's a long way from your ps average.

You are showing yourself up, best bet is to get your head down; you must be tired.

KDII wrote: »
    I can't formulate a reply sarcastic enough for this thread. I'm one of graduate nurses who the government tried to sell a €22,000 per year salary to. That's a long way from your ps average.

€22,000 + Bonuses, don't forget..they add up to about €5000 IIRC

So straight out of college an offer of €27,000 for a new graduate is comparable to a lot of other sectors and more that a lot of them

actually here it is now. Some years ago during the boom the German ambassador was openly critical of Irish public sector pay - he was proved right.
    Interesting reading with the benefit of hindsight. You laughed at him then, but he was proved right. If only we listened....
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lost-in-translation-envoy-refuses-to-back-down-over-remarks-26318562.html

I am sympathetic to your situation. The reason you are paid so little is because others in the public service - who were in before you - insist on being paid so much.

However 22k a year is not bad, there are many others who would love that sort of money.

Do not forget average public sector pay in the UK and Germany, across all age groups, is only in the twenties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

Boombastic wrote: »
    €22,000 + Bonuses, don't forget..they add up to about €5000 IIRC

Not quite a €5,000 bonus.. You get extra pay for nights and weekends depending on clinical area worked.

Not quite a €5,000 bonus.. You get extra pay for nights and weekends depending on clinical area worked.

allowances might have been the correct word I should have used, but yes

Yeah, but according to @true, that's only for a 32 hr week, plus between holidays and sickies sure you'd hardly be there the rest of the time.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

nobody claimed you were immoral for working. However, you have a full time public sector job. You also claim you do a work after hours in the private sector.
    I also know public sector workers who have full time jobs and who do "nixers", but none of them pay tax. Some do it by "grinds" , some have earned money doing house drawings, site checking, quantity surveying, sports teaching etc.
    People who have the benefit of well paid public sector jobs and who then "double job" by doing nixers are doing some of those who would otherwise be employed a disservice. There are hundreds of thousands of unemployed who would love one job, not 2 like you. Maybe if you had a few kids to feed and not even one job then you would understand.

You're always doing someone else a disservice when you have a job instead of them. Maybe the poster should quit their current job in case someone else needs it more? They could get a job that pays less, once they earn enough to buy food and water and keep a roof over their head then that's plenty.

You don't know other people's situations BTW. For all you know they're in over their heads after having gotten one of those Celtic Tiger mortages, and after having taken salary cuts they can no longer afford it, so need the second job.

No one owes someone else a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

actually here it is now. Some years ago during the boom the German ambassador was openly critical of Irish public sector pay - he was proved right.
    Interesting reading with the benefit of hindsight. You laughed at him then, but he was proved right. If only we listened....
    http://www.independent.ie ]

I rest my case.
    I am sympathetic to your situation. The reason you are paid so little is because others in the public service - who were in before you - insist on being paid so much.

Goodnight.

Advertisement