Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny says Public Sector workers no longer have job security.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

People like that are annoying, but they rarely advance in the workplace beyond the more basic roles undertaken by the company even if they never get sacked. If you work hard in the same place and don't advance up your companies career ladder way above her and relatively quickly, then there's some thing wrong in the companies' internal structure.

In fairness, I haven't worked in the public service in Ireland, so I don't know what this girls career path would be in the ps, but I would be interested to hear from ps workers whether this girl would advance higher in the ps due more to length of service as opposed to ability?

No difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

People like that are annoying, but they rarely advance in the workplace beyond the more basic roles undertaken by the company even if they never get sacked. If you work hard in the same place and don't advance up your companies career ladder way above her and relatively quickly, then there's some thing wrong in the companies' internal structure.

In fairness, I haven't worked in the public service in Ireland, so I don't know what this girls career path would be in the ps, but I would be interested to hear from ps workers whether this girl would advance higher in the ps due more to length of service as opposed to ability?

Nope - progression is not automatic. You have to proactively apply for promotions and transfers. I can't imagine someone like that even bothering to prepare for an interview never mind succeed in one.

However, the chances are her manager wouldn't manage her either and other people in her team would end up carrying her.

In the Defence Forces, it's "up or out" - if you don't progress, then out you go once your term is completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Paulzx wrote: »
    I think you'll find that anyone who joined the Defence Forces in the last 20 years won't be involved in the whole army deafness scenario. Most of that stuff stretched back to people with service before that so you're wasting your time having a dig at most serving soldiers...............but sure feel free to do so

Maybe so but it was a con job on a large scale. Over 16,000 soldiers made claims with many completely chancing their arm. By 2010 it had already cost the state over €300,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

In this Public-Private Civil War, I have high hopes that the Self Employed form a small but imaginatively armed militia, and sit on high ground for a bit, waiting to take pot-shots at the winner.

Who is with me? We'll have a sh1t-ton of people who can deal with computers, cars, tattoos and hair. Plus a statistically unlikely number of homebrewers, I'd wager. That's the camp you *want* to be in.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Maybe so but it was a con job on a large scale. Over 16,000 soldiers made claims with many completely chancing their arm. By 2010 it had already cost the state over €300,000,000.

........30% of which went on legal fees and medical reports. If it was the con job you suggest it was it involved more than soldiers and more than the public sector.

And if you're going to quote from Wikipedia at least don't be selective - don't forget to mention the bit about the soldiers who reported the double charging of legal fees by their solicitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Red Pepper wrote: »

Yeah there was plenty of bull**** claims...some of it encouraged by the legal profession, some of it by greedy f**ckers that fired a weapon once whilst in the FCA.

There are also plenty of people who had serious hearing damage caused by the negligence of the state. Damage to hearing by gunshot noise was common knowledge from the late seventies in the Uk armed services. The authorities here choose to ignore it and give people cotton wool to stick in their ears.

Who's to blame for that? Personally, i don't think i'd swap permanant tinnitus or hearing loss for a ****ty 40 grand

Paulzx wrote: »
    Yeah there was plenty of bull**** claims...some of it encouraged by the legal profession, some of it by greedy f**ckers that fired a weapon once whilst in the FCA.

There are also plenty of people who had serious hearing damage caused by the negligence of the state. Damage to hearing by gunshot noise was common knowledge from the late seventies in the Uk armed services. The authorities here choose to ignore it and give people cotton wool to stick in their ears.

Who's to blame for that? Personally, i don't think i'd swap permanant tinnitus or hearing loss for a ****ty 40 grand

Not even 40k - 300m less the 100 or so million that went to legal beagles gives you 200m.

That works out about 12.5k per claimant..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I cant believe this thread has gone this far and nobody posted this....:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No difference

Probably get promoted in my station...

Advertisement