Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny says Public Sector workers no longer have job security.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I don't understand why anyone would go looking for a job in the Civil Service anymore, I work in the Private Sector and even now following the career path I am (accountancy) you will be paid much more in the Private Sector.

Surely if the idea of job security is to be taken away from those employees in the Public Sector they do have a point in arguing that they shouldn't have to take further cuts.

We were discussing this in my office a few weeks ago and the general consensus from my colleagues was that none of them would ever accept a job in the civil service due to the low wages that would be in store for them, not to mention the fact that they don't get half the perks we do, like free meals out, company cars, free newspapers, first class travel, performance related bonuses or even a Christmas bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

This will help labour in the polls. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cian92 wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would go looking for a job in the Civil Service anymore, I work in the Private Sector and even now following the career path I am (accountancy) you will be paid much more in the Private Sector.

Surely if the idea of job security is to be taken away from those employees in the Public Sector they do have a point in arguing that they shouldn't have to take further cuts.

We were discussing this in my office a few weeks ago and the general consensus from my colleagues was that none of them would ever accept a job in the civil service due to the low wages that would be in store for them, not to mention the fact that they don't get half the perks we do, like free meals out, company cars, free newspapers, first class travel, performance related bonuses or even a Christmas bonus.

All of the point you raised mean nothing to those who believe they pay my wages and that I should have to answer to them indivivdually because they pay taxes.

I thank them every night before I close my eyes, those wonderful taxpayers:pac:

true wrote: »
    I would find that difficult to believe, given that public sector wages are statistically nearly double per hour that in the private sector. Ash any one in the private sector, from cleaner to security personnell to admin staff to architect what they earn compared to their counterparts in the public sector - that is, if they still have a job at all...

So you "double job". You already have a highly paid public sector job, and you are so greedy you take private sector work as well because of the low hours you work in the public sector. ( avg 32 hours per week )

thats immoral as you are doing a private sector worker out of work - many of whom are unemployed and struggling to keep their kids fed / mortgage paid.

Shame on you.

Ha, that is a good one.

I train for years to be able to practice, I continue to ensure that I supply my professional bodies with the CPD I have to undertake in order to practice; I pay tax on my earbing in both public and private services; and I'm good at my job because people come to me above others, and you say I'm immoral. You should go on stage.

What is wrong, did you make a bad career choice?

You keep saying that those in the public won't make a living in the private, I and many others do both,and we pay our taxes on both.

You can believe what you want, because judgeing fron your posts you certain do, but I have stated this for the past 3 years at least on here. It is not my fault I can earn a wage in either sector:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Saab Ed wrote: »
    So public sector workers no longer have job security that normally comes with a public sector position. Well that's according to Enda Kenny today. Does that suggest it should be reflected upwards in their pay given that the usual security of their position is now gone! In fairness to public sector workers (which I'm not one of) theuve always been seen to sacrifice wages for security. If that's gone then why work for less, especially if -at the lower end of things- you can actually get better wages in the private sector.

No Joe Duffy "I know a fella in the public sector" crap now, this is not a public v private sector debate. This is a genuine look at how we might actually end up with nothing but the worst of the worst in the public sector.

Isn't that already the position?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Ok I know this is After Hours and anything (nearly) is accepted but that post is just moronic. Care to divulge what work you perform to the betterment of this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Merely a Kenny soundbite, no need to get giddy, he's full of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sarky wrote: »
    One would hope it just means "Do your job or get fired". Y'know, like it does in most jobs.

...except obviously the banks.

Generally, as a PS worker, I've no problem with compulsory redundancies as long as it's done fairly (no LIFO!!!), shapes service to need and the politicians stay out of it, so unsustainable outposts aren't maintained in place just to keep local TDs happy.
    Kenny is just getting fed up at public service workers, just as the troika and nearly everyone else is. They are among the highest paid public sector workers in the world at an average of 49k a year, and have a shorter working week and statistically much more sickies than the private sector, and golden pensions, so Kenny is right for once.
    I would find that difficult to believe, given that public sector wages are statistically nearly double per hour that in the private sector. Ash any one in the private sector, from cleaner to security personnell to admin staff to architect what they earn compared to their counterparts in the public sector - that is, if they still have a job at all...

So you "double job". You already have a highly paid public sector job, and you are so greedy you take private sector work as well because of the low hours you work in the public sector. ( avg 32 hours per week )

thats immoral as you are doing a private sector worker out of work - many of whom are unemployed and struggling to keep their kids fed / mortgage paid.

Shame on you.

Ah True, there ye are - I was getting worried. If you hadn't shown up for this thread I was going to leave a saucer of milk for you at the back door.

So a private sector worker taking on extra work is enterprising and hardworking but a PS worker doing the same thing is double-jobber who should hang their head in shame........interesting.

btw- I'll tell you what's immoral, your neglect of the apostrophe:pac:

Yes.....

BUT.... the hoops you have to jump through to get rid of someone are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Odysseus wrote: »
    Ha, that is a good one.

I train for years to be able to practice, I continue to ensure that I supply my professional bodies with the CPD I have to undertake in order to practice; I pay tax on my earbing in both public and private services; and I'm good at my job because people come to me above others, and you say I'm immoral. You should go on stage.

What is wrong, did you make a bad career choice?

You keep saying that those in the public won't make a living in the private, I and many others do both,and we pay our taxes on both.

You can believe what you want, because judgeing fron your posts you certain do, but I have stated this for the past 3 years at least on here. It is not my fault I can earn a wage in either sector:rolleyes:

To be fair, there's a difference between what you do and what most people see as an average public sector employee. Doctors too generally earn more in the private sector. But what most people think of when they see a public sector employee is a middle management pen pusher type thing. Not a trained professional in a very specific job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Grayson wrote: »
    Not a trained professional in a very specific job.

not just a trained professional in a very specific job, but a trained professional in a very specific job which is in demand. For example, an architect or quantity surveyor nowadays earns much more in the public sector than the average one does in the private sector, if they are lucky enough to have a job at all. ( and over half of architects are unemployed in the country ).

I take dibs on the dole scrounger/single mother threads starting enmasse in mid June.

AH topics are on a never ending loop, aren't they?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

almighty1 wrote: »
    Prove it. And while you're at it.......see if it takes into account that public sector (as a ratio) are more qualified than the private sector.

Reports from the CSO and ECB both concluding that a PS pay premium exists in Ireland which is not explained by being more qualified.

Feel free to look them up.

I don't understand why anyone would go looking for a job in the Civil Service anymore,

because there are 400,000 unemployed, hundreds of thousands are emigrating or have emigrated. In addition, there are countless self-employed just hanging in there making f*** all money but who cannot get the dole as their partner is working or they have a (partially paid for ) house.....thus keeping the unemployment figures down.
    Average public sector salary is 49k a year. You may be lucky enough to work in a career where you "don't understand why anyone would go looking for a job in the Civil Service anymore", but that says more about you and your profession than about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Have you ever considered that you might have a very good private sector job? It's not all peaches and cream everywhere.

True, what is the average private sector salary? Now, I don't mean industrial wage but across the board, top to lowest ranking.

The public sector average you quote is based on salaries across the board, isn't it?

its been gone over numerous times, I am not getting it for you again, look it up on the excellent efficient government statistics website www.cso.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

its been gone over numerous times, I am not getting it for you again, look it up on the excellent efficient government statistics website www.cso.ie

That's just lazy, you sure you aren't Public Sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I take dibs on the dole scrounger/single mother threads starting enmasse in mid June.

AH topics are on a never ending loop, aren't they?

;)
    You came to that conclusion having only joined in January?

Fair play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

*Sigh*

I thought true's nonsense was over when the CP2 discussion topic fizzled out. This just seems to have set it off again, with a fresh batch of people to reply to him and feed his obviously OTT posts...

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You came to that conclusion having only joined in January?

Fair play.

Nah, been here before in a previous life ;)

Edit: I'm not wrong though

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair, there's a difference between what you do and what most people see as an average public sector employee. Doctors too generally earn more in the private sector. But what most people think of when they see a public sector employee is a middle management pen pusher type thing. Not a trained professional in a very specific job.

I take you point about my profession to a degree, but I don't know if that is correct Grayson, a lot of these threads refer to various health care workers, nurses all over paid, Garda same overpaid, low skilled, teachers, overpaid again and don'y forget their jours or holidays.

In fact I think the above professionals may get mentioned much more than the admin type roles you highlighted.

Like when you see vomit being spewed out stating that I'm immoral for working, you start to see the type of sh!te that some are trying to put out there.

I do take your point, but the fact is that there are people working in the PS who can earn more outside that service. The issue is that people like to post wide sweeping generalisations, but only those that fit their side of the story.

Like the guy who posted about the various perks in his private sector job,of course they don't apply to everyone in that sector, but that is not to say that he is the only one out there getting such perks, he is not.

People ruin any chance at debate with their all or nothing posts, if we don't get balenced posts it hard to debate the point rationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It's the paper clip tray fillers we're after :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nah, been here before in a previous life ;)

Edit: I'm not wrong though
    Not wrong at all.:)

Odysseus wrote: »
    Like when you see vomit being spewed out stating that I'm immoral for working

nobody claimed you were immoral for working. However, you have a full time public sector job. You also claim you do a work after hours in the private sector.
    I also know public sector workers who have full time jobs and who do "nixers", but none of them pay tax. Some do it by "grinds" , some have earned money doing house drawings, site checking, quantity surveying, sports teaching etc.
    People who have the benefit of well paid public sector jobs and who then "double job" by doing nixers are doing some of those who would otherwise be employed a disservice. There are hundreds of thousands of unemployed who would love one job, not 2 like you. Maybe if you had a few kids to feed and not even one job then you would understand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Do you not stop to consider that maybe the reason there is double jobbing in some sections of the public sector is because, despite your assertions, the wages aren't all that great and some people NEED to do the second jobs in order to "feed the kids"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Sarky wrote: »
    One would hope it just means "Do your job or get fired". Y'know, like it does in most jobs.

It doesn't. The people who get noticed most are the people who try to do the most. Then when they make a mistake they are hauled up on it. Meanwhile the guy who does nothing and stays below the radar never gets noticed and stays doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

nobody claimed you were immoral for working. However, you have a full time public sector job. You also claim you do a work after hours in the private sector.
    I also know public sector workers who have full time jobs and who do "nixers", but none of them pay tax. Some do it by "grinds" , some have earned money doing house drawings, site checking, quantity surveying, sports teaching etc.
    People who have the benefit of well paid public sector jobs and who then "double job" by doing nixers are doing some of those who would otherwise be employed a disservice. There are hundreds of thousands of unemployed who would love one job, not 2 like you. Maybe if you had a few kids to feed and not even one job then you would understand.

Is this where you are? Any chance you'd go back to the Croke park forum, they have a few questions waiting for you?

@true.......while you have a new audience, maybe you'd like to share your views on pensioners and the lifestyle afforded them on the state pension......

Don't forget to mention the UK, now........and you still haven't mentioned the RIAI......or David McWilliams........

• Advertisement

Do you not stop to consider that maybe the reason there is double jobbing ...

the person who made the claim is a professional, and no, the other professionals in the public sector who I know do or have done nixers were relatively well off, and did not need to do it in order to put food on the table lol.

Advertisement