Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Right that is it - Rory has won again with ease - only played 15 times

But Dubai has nothing to do with European Golf - history, even culture. It is probably a tax scam too.

No atmosphere - hardly even a golf crowd. Except the Irish gang.

It is a total sell out and no craic.

Still we have to accept the reality - that it is the only way we will get the big lads - somewhat sticking with Europe at all - it is a necessary evil.

Anyway rant over.

Not sure about the tax scam, but I agree with the rest of your post. As others have said on other threads in this forum, it's (pretty much) all about the money and I guess that's why there's a danger that one or more of the majors might move to another continent at some stage. The PGA is probably the only one that makes (some sort of) sense, but when money is involved, you can't rule anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

But Dubai has nothing to do with European Golf - history, even culture. It is probably a tax scam too.

No atmosphere - hardly even a golf crowd. Except the Irish gang.

It is a total sell out and no craic.

Still we have to accept the reality - that it is the only way we will get the big lads - somewhat sticking with Europe at all - it is a necessary evil.

Anyway rant over.

Well said - completely phoney event and venue....but I'll probably still watch it all next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well I don't know how these lads pay their tax - but that is off topic.

know golf has to expand - the weather is perhaps a good argument.

But - the most frustrating thing for me is the fact that the last few events of the Euro Tour are on this odd loop. It probably wouldn't bother me at the start or mid point - But you know what, they have the start of the tour too. I don't mind the Turkish Loop.

I guess it is a frustration that great golf countries like The UK and Ireland are struggling for a sponsor and this rubbish has taken over.

Yes all the players are there - we will watch it for that reason, get over it, money talks.

But it reminds me of the time that lad wanted to change the name of Hull. To Hull Tigers.

2nd rant over - going off to water protests (Joking)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIybBzqj1iT7FEPRK5HShZw8FJqlqTA0xKjd0RDPMkGUtw4KwP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,118 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

With 5->5.5hr rounds being the norm now, the European Tour would have to play 9 hole comps in Mainland Europe from Oct -> March Fix.
    Never mind about the weather, I don't think there's enough daylight for 150 pros to get done & dusted in a day over those months.

Better having them in Turkey rather playing for them :)

Never imagined I'd say this - but is there too much golf ?

Is there anything wrong with a real end of season ?

I'm just a bit confused - not hard.

But the players are so spread - the number of events are very large.
    The number of the times all the good players play together is not that many. The players are just playing the big money events across 3 tours.

I'm not sure what way it is all going.

Also seems to be more junket type events - that are just a jolly - that thing Tiger and Rory was at - joke in China.

I think what I'm getting at - is the number of events were you feel that it very important - are few ,

Doesn't feel like edge of seat stuff - golf can do that when the event is right.

End of year event - the lads were not even that emotional

Again the end of year event - look at even test match yesterday in Rugby.

• Advertisement

Funny thing. I was looking at Rory's record for the year and it only lists 14 tournaments - 4 majors, 3 WGC events, 2 in the Desert Swing, BMW PGA, Irish and Scottish Opens, Dunhill Links and Dubai. I checked both his European Tour record and his OWGR record.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

abff wrote: »
    Funny thing. I was looking at Rory's record for the year and it only lists 14 tournaments - 4 majors, 3 WGC events, 2 in the Desert Swing, BMW PGA, Irish and Scottish Opens, Dunhill Links and Dubai. I checked both his European Tour record and his OWGR record.

Am I missing something?

European Tour website only includes events that count towards Race to Dubai money list.

Doesn't count regular PGA tour events in the US, or other tournaments around the world outside of the majors and WGC events.

OWGR website has full list of official events he's played in.

He's down for having played 23 tournaments in 2014.

European Tour website only includes events that count towards Race to Dubai money list.

Doesn't count regular PGA tour events in the US, or other tournaments around the world outside of the majors and WGC events.

OWGR website has full list of official events he's played in.

He's down for having played 23 tournaments in 2014.

Thanks Diego.

I know that the European Tour website only includes events that count towards the Race to Dubai money list. My query is that he is shown on the Race to Dubai money list as having competed in 15 events, but I can only find 14 listed.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

Thanks Diego.

I know that the European Tour website only includes events that count towards the Race to Dubai money list. My query is that he is shown on the Race to Dubai money list as having competed in 15 events, but I can only find 14 listed.

Good spot.

An error - or there is an event outside of Europe affiliated ?

The other option I considered is, the 2014 season - starts at end of 2013. ?

Good spot.

An error - or there is an event outside of Europe affiliated ?

The other option I considered is, the 2014 season - starts at end of 2013. ?

If there was another event affiliated, it should have shown up on the list of 2014 events that Rory competed in.

There were five events in late 2013 that were part of the 2014 season. Four of these were in South Africa, including the Nedbank and the other in Hong Kong (the same week as the Nedbank). The only events Rory took part in over that period were the Australian Open (which he won) and the World Challenge.

Assuming there's an error on the European Tour website, it makes me wonder how many other errors are there.

By the way, on a related point, I note that four of the players listed in the top 110 in the final rankings completed less than 10 tournaments. I thought that there was some provision for extending the number of cards to allow for this. Or have the rules been changed in this regard? It could have a knock on effect for the categories in which some Irish golfers will be classified next season.

• Advertisement

By the way, on a related point, I note that four of the players listed in the top 110 in the final rankings completed less than 10 tournaments. I thought that there was some provision for extending the number of cards to allow for this. Or have the rules been changed in this regard? It could have a knock on effect for the categories in which some Irish golfers will be classified next season.

That was changed last year. Only Brendon De Jonge was to be taken out of this year's list.

Think he's been removed already. Not sure what he did wrong :)

That was changed last year. Only Brendon De Jonge was to be taken out of this year's list.

Think he's been removed already. Not sure what he did wrong :)

I think it may have something to do with the category that you're in at the start of the season. If you are in certain categories, you have to play at least the required minimum number of tournaments during the season in order to retain your card.

Actually hadn't noticed last week that De Jonge had already been taken out of the Race to Dubai list, so was only looking at players from 112th and lower when assessing Maybin's category for next season.

Lee Slattery in 111th place has no card, so he'll be 1st on the Category 16 list.

Assuming that the same system as last year is being used (alternating players ranked 111-125 from the Race to Dubai list with the players ranked 16-30 on the Challenge Tour), then these would be the leading players on the Category 16 list this year:

1. Lee Slattery
    2. Antonio Hortal
    3. Carlos Del Moral
    4. Ben Evans
    5. Ricardo Santos
    6. Johan Edfors
    7. John Hahn
    8. Bernd Ritthammer
    9. Nacho Elvira
    10. Max Orrin
    11. Gareth Maybin
    12. Andrew McArthur

So if there are any spots left in tournaments after the Q School graduates in Category 15 have entered, then the guys above will get the remaining places in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Brooks koepka has been named european tour rookie of the year. Well deserved. 1 victory at the Turkish open and 8th place in race to Dubai.

Back to back for Americans now after Peter Uihlien last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some good news for Maybin.

Guys who would have been ahead of him in order of Category 16 rankings for next year actually won their cards today (De La Riva, Otaegui, Pavan) so I make it that Maybin will be 9th on the list of Category 16 players for next year.

For the 2014 season David Higgins was 5th on the same Category 16 list and got to play 19 tournaments.

Only thing is the cut off point for entry to a lot of those tournaments would have ended up just above where Maybin will be ranked!

Higgins was often waiting until the last minute and depending on withdrawals to get in, meaning it was nearly impossible to plan a schedule.

Also getting in to a tournament at short notice would mean getting to the venue later than your competitors, so less preparation time and practise rounds etc.

Bit of a nightmare booking flights as well i'd imagine!

Kevin Phelan will be about 3rd on the list of Category 17 players. Going by players similary ranked this year, that could get him about 10 to 13 tournaments. Only thing is these will tend to be the tournaments with lower prizemoney that the top guys won't be putting in their schedule.

Peter Lawrie and Simon Thornton will be well up on the Category 20 list. Again going by 2014 players with this sort of ranking, this would only get them about 3 to 6 tournaments, but these will almost all be on the South African swing before Christmas and in the spring time. Again these are low money tournaments that most of the top guys won't be entering. Lawrie would also get in to the Spanish Open as a former winner.

Apart from that they'll be relying on their agents or management companies to see if they can swing the odd sponsor's invite here and there.

Can be decent money in some of the Challenge Tour events as well, especially towards the end of the season.

Nice to see that Thornton has sneaked into Category 17, might get him a few more opportunities. Looking at the list makes grim viewing for Peter Lawrie.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/examptioncat/

Nice to see that Thornton has sneaked into Category 17, might get him a few more opportunities. Looking at the list makes grim viewing for Peter Lawrie.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/examptioncat/

Just what will this mean for Peter Lawrie?

vienne86 wrote: »
    Just what will this mean for Peter Lawrie?

Means very few events, hopefully he'll hook a few sponsor invites.

Means very few events, hopefully he'll hook a few sponsor invites.

Unfortunately it looks as if he might have to try and find another way of earning his living - he's not earning enough on tour. It's really sad to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

He's earned €5.5M from 03-13, he would have made a loss this year I guess even allowing for sponsorship.

I know he has to pay taxes, caddies, expenses etc out of that but all the same you'd imagine he should be ok and have the means to take a year to regroup and have another shot at it next year if he wants.

cairny wrote: »
    He's earned €5.5M from 03-13, he would have made a loss this year I guess even allowing for sponsorship.

I know he has to pay taxes, caddies, expenses etc out of that but all the same you'd imagine he should be ok and have the means to take a year to regroup and have another shot at it next year if he wants.

That sounds OK, though I think it costs a lot of money to be on tour...did someone once say €0.25m per year? I remember when he just about kept his card last year that he was very emotional, saying that he had lost a lot of sleep worrying about income and supporting his family....so it ain't easy.

I really hope he recovers some form and gets back out on tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Draw for the Nedbank has been made ::

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2014095/teetimes/index.html

Draw| Tee Time |Player 1 |Player 2 |Player 3
    1 |10:10 |Miguel Angel JIMÉNEZ |Tim CLARK |Shane LOWRY
    1 |10:21 |Jaco AHLERS |Kevin NA |Joost LUITEN
    1 |10:32 |Marc WARREN |Danny WILLETT |Danie VAN TONDER
    1 |10:43 |Louis OOSTHUIZEN |Martin KAYMER |Lee WESTWOOD
    1 |10:54 |Kiradech APHIBARNRAT |Dawie VAN DER WALT |Brendon TODD
    1 |11:05 |Tommy FLEETWOOD |Mikko ILONEN |Jonas BLIXT
    1 |11:16 |George COETZEE |Ross FISHER |Marcel SIEM
    1 |11:27 |Stephen GALLACHER |Thongchai JAIDEE |Jamie DONALDSON
    1 |11:38 |Pablo LARRAZÁBAL |Alexander LEVY |Brooks KOEPKA
    1 |11:49 |Charl SCHWARTZEL |Luke DONALD |Thomas BJØRN

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Thanks Diego.

I may be wrong but do they now count the ryder cup towards one of the counting events towards minimum number played? Maybe thats it. Its seems foolish to put it in the r2d but its all i can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

cairny wrote: »

Article from 2013....

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/lawrie-feeling-the-pinch-228680.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Goldenjohn wrote: »

Thanks for that, puts it into context. I suppose anybody that was making good money from 03-08 would have been taken a big hit with the crash no matter how safely they invested.

I may be wrong but do they now count the ryder cup towards one of the counting events towards minimum number played? Maybe thats it. Its seems foolish to put it in the r2d but its all i can think of.

Good spot. That's probably it alright.

Peter Lawrie and Kevin Phelan on the list of invitations for next week's Alfred Dunhill Championship in South Africa.

An early chance to bounce back from the Q School disappointment.

Peter Lawrie and Kevin Phelan on the list of invitations for next week's Alfred Dunhill Championship in South Africa.

An early chance to bounce back from the Q School disappointment.

Excellent. They won't get many starts so they'll be feeling pressure. Hope they make the most of the opportunity.

Good spot, I forgot they count that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One of the highest ranked guys in the field with an early lead

Dawie Van Der Walt :: -3 after 2

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2014095/leaderboard/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Have the sky go app on my phone and am watching the odd bit but listening to it all here while working!!

Advertisement