Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Looks like qualifying mark will be -8 or -7.

Lawrie -6 with 1 to play. Birdie on 18 is a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like qualifying mark will be -8 or -7.

Lawrie -6 with 1 to play. Birdie on 18 is a must!

Yeah -7 is tied 26th so with the pressure on guys bring it home it might squeeze in. As you say he needs to birdie the last at least, only 4 so far today though :(

Par on the last...gutted for the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

T29- I supose four meltdowns is too much to hope for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

cairny wrote: »
    T29- I supose four meltdowns is too much to hope for?

I don't think it's unrealistic that he could scrape through, there is a chance.
    The guys below him have finished, so no worries about people leap frogging him.
    All it will take is 3 or 4 guys to let the pressure get to them and he might squeeze in.

It's not probable, but there is a little hope.

• Advertisement

T28 now... 3 more to fall from above and he gets in

This is torture :)

This is torture :)

Everyone on -6 is finished, so he can't drop from there.
    The guys at -5 would need to get to -7 to make any difference. That's not gonna happen as most are almost finished. Any of them that are still playing need to go -2 thru the final 2.

However, there are only 5 players above him that could drop to -6. He needs 3 of them to do so.

PARlance wrote: »
    Everyone on -6 is finished, so he can't drop from there.
    The guys at -5 would need to get to -7 to make any difference. That's not gonna happen as most are almost finished. Any of them that are still playing need to go -2 thru the final 2.

However, there are only 5 players above him that could drop to -6. He needs 3 of them to do so.

Realistically it looks like 4 guys, on the plus side none of them are making pars, it's all bogies and birdies.

T27 now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

A lot can happen in the last few holes at Q school. Here's hoping...

pistol_75 wrote: »
    A lot can happen in the last few holes at Q school. Here's hoping...

3 guys on -8 with 2 holes to play, imagine the pressure they feel.

And all +2 for the day. Nearly worse knowing you can afford to drop a shot and still do it.

Mad scores, Gros birdies 15 to go -9, cruising to Card then bogeys last 3 to get to -6. Bouniol from same score goes double, bogey to be -6 playing the last.

Edit: Bouniol birdies the last to make his card, probably killed off Lawries last chance but still fair play.

Alessandro Tadini finished on -7 on the bubble. His last 4 holes, eagle, birdie, birdie, par.

That man deserves his card.

Mad scores, Gros birdies 15 to go -9, cruising to Card then bogeys last 3 to get to -6. Bouniol from same score goes double, bogey to be -6 playing the last.

Edit: Bouniol birdies the last to make his card, probably killed off Lawries last chance but still fair play.

Well deserved by Bounio, he had been -10 at the turn!!

Tough day for Carlos Del Moral, started at -9 but 3 early doubles has him -4 playing the last.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Alessandro Tadini finished on -7 on the bubble. His last 4 holes, eagle, birdie, birdie, par.

That man deserves his card.

He actually started on the back 9 pistol, nice going though as he had started in tied 44th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So none of the three got their cards ....gutted for Lawrie in particular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is a crazy stat.

Out of the 29 European Tour winners that began the Final Stage, only three gained a card, Ricardo Gonzalez (second), John Parry (sixth) and Andrew Dodt (tenth). (In all 35 European Tour winners teed up in the 2014 European Tour Qualifying School. Six entered at Stage 2 but failed to make it through).

Some good news for Maybin.

Guys who would have been ahead of him in order of Category 16 rankings for next year actually won their cards today (De La Riva, Otaegui, Pavan) so I make it that Maybin will be 9th on the list of Category 16 players for next year.

For the 2014 season David Higgins was 5th on the same Category 16 list and got to play 19 tournaments.

Only thing is the cut off point for entry to a lot of those tournaments would have ended up just above where Maybin will be ranked!

Higgins was often waiting until the last minute and depending on withdrawals to get in, meaning it was nearly impossible to plan a schedule.

Also getting in to a tournament at short notice would mean getting to the venue later than your competitors, so less preparation time and practise rounds etc.

Bit of a nightmare booking flights as well i'd imagine!

Kevin Phelan will be about 3rd on the list of Category 17 players. Going by players similary ranked this year, that could get him about 10 to 13 tournaments. Only thing is these will tend to be the tournaments with lower prizemoney that the top guys won't be putting in their schedule.

Peter Lawrie and Simon Thornton will be well up on the Category 20 list. Again going by 2014 players with this sort of ranking, this would only get them about 3 to 6 tournaments, but these will almost all be on the South African swing before Christmas and in the spring time. Again these are low money tournaments that most of the top guys won't be entering. Lawrie would also get in to the Spanish Open as a former winner.

Apart from that they'll be relying on their agents or management companies to see if they can swing the odd sponsor's invite here and there.

Can be decent money in some of the Challenge Tour events as well, especially towards the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Some good news for Maybin.

Guys who would have been ahead of him in order of Category 16 rankings for next year actually won their cards today (De La Riva, Otaegui, Pavan) so I make it that Maybin will be 9th on the list of Category 16 players for next year.

For the 2014 season David Higgins was 5th on the same Category 16 list and got to play 19 tournaments.

Only thing is the cut off point for entry to a lot of those tournaments would have ended up just above where Maybin will be ranked!

Higgins was often waiting until the last minute and depending on withdrawals to get in, meaning it was nearly impossible to plan a schedule.

Also getting in to a tournament at short notice would mean getting to the venue later than your competitors, so less preparation time and practise rounds etc.

Bit of a nightmare booking flights as well i'd imagine!

Kevin Phelan will be about 3rd on the list of Category 17 players. Going by players similary ranked this year, that could get him about 10 to 13 tournaments. Only thing is these will tend to be the tournaments with lower prizemoney that the top guys won't be putting in their schedule.

Peter Lawrie and Simon Thornton will be well up on the Category 20 list. Again going by 2014 players with this sort of ranking, this would only get them about 3 to 6 tournaments, but these will almost all be on the South African swing before Christmas and in the spring time. Again these are low money tournaments that most of the top guys won't be entering. Lawrie would also get in to the Spanish Open as a former winner.

Apart from that they'll be relying on their agents or management companies to see if they can swing the odd sponsor's invite here and there.

Can be decent money in some of the Challenge Tour events as well, especially towards the end of the season.

God it's very tough. I wonder will be wee Thornton or Lawrie out on tour again.

Don't imagine they'd fancy a safari tour around South Africa for the winter!

Still there's always that incentive that if they get in to one of those lower standard tournaments, strike a good week and get a win like Thornton already did in St Omer in 2013...

Suddenly there's a tour exemption for the rest of the season and all of next season.

Bit of a long shot though!

Don't imagine they'd fancy a safari tour around South Africa for the winter!

Still there's always that incentive that if they get in to one of those lower standard tournaments, strike a good week and get a win like Thornton already did in St Omer in 2013...

Suddenly there's a tour exemption for the rest of the season and all of next season.

Bit of a long shot though!

Very difficult to pull off if your confidnece is down too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

B25ymIhIcAA3o9N.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    B25ymIhIcAA3o9N.jpg

Just one shot better would have got Peter Lawrie in. Sums up a miserable season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is a crazy stat.

Out of the 29 European Tour winners that began the Final Stage, only three gained a card, Ricardo Gonzalez (second), John Parry (sixth) and Andrew Dodt (tenth). (In all 35 European Tour winners teed up in the 2014 European Tour Qualifying School. Six entered at Stage 2 but failed to make it through).

This is what I feared for the lads - it is just getting harder and harder to win back card.

I've watched a few programs on tv and there are 100s of what were Kevin Phelans - coming on the scene all the time.

Many of the lads coming off main tour going back to Tour School - are sort of out of form - missing cuts. They turn up to thee events to lads - who are in form and have been targeting this all year.

There is way more pressure on a lad winning back a card than - a kid/other pro trying to win one.

This is what I feared for the lads - it is just getting harder and harder to win back card.

I've watched a few programs on tv and there are 100s of what were Kevin Phelans - coming on the scene all the time.

Many of the lads coming off main tour going back to Tour School - are sort of out of form - missing cuts. They turn up to thee events to lads - who are in form and have been targeting this all year.

There is way more pressure on a lad winning back a card than - a kid/other pro trying to win one.

So true. That said, there seem to me to be a fair few who get a card from Q school, and only last one season.

Back to today. Rory and Shane not doing themselves or each other any favours today. Maybe I should stop watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus - I did what rory did today - yesterday.

One time - I can say , I've done what Rory did.

That Tyrell Hatton is a nice player - I've never heard of him until last week. Rookie, it sems. But I'm stunned that Sky have not yet remarked that he doesn't wear any headgear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

vienne86 wrote: »
    That Tyrell Hatton is a nice player - I've never heard of him until last week. Rookie, it sems. But I'm stunned that Sky have not yet remarked that he doesn't wear any headgear.

I've seem him a few times on the europro tour or challenge tour, am not sure which one, sky show a lot as well as the main tours! He has been getting stronger with each event and seems like a really nice guy.

Advertisement