Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I see on Twitter Rory hit his first shot in four weeks today.

I just thought that was a crazy amount of time for the world number 1 to not practice but sure what do I really know!
    Been too busy enjoying himself by the sounds of things.....and sure, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

I just thought that was a crazy amount of time for the world number 1 to not practice but sure what do I really know!

I suppose if you've got your swing grooved before you've started school you don't need to practice it constantly.

http://youtu.be/9lKsBkueyZg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Surprised when I saw that too but I'd say there's a few highly successful sportsmen down the years who look back and wish they'd stopped to enjoy the moment a bit more. Rory seems like the type of guy who will always be willing to take a little break now and then and enjoy life.

abff wrote: »
    The entry list is shown here http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015000/teetimes/index.html under tee times (?)

I see that Peter Lawrie has received an invitation. Hopefully he'll pick up some prize money and start the year on a positive note.

The only other Irish player on the entry list is Gareth Maybin, but Kevin Phelan in second reserve, so hopefully he'll get in.

So Peter Lawrie and Gareth Maybin are the only Irish players in the field this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He posted this yesterday....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=770118663068228&set=vb.152976388115795&type=2&theater

Facebook video - but it's him swinging it in Abu Dhabi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nice start from Els in South Africa.

Maybin -1 after 4
    Lawrie +1 after 5

Both Lawrie and Maybin finished on -1. Good enough start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Looks like another missed cut for Peter Lawrie, unfortunately. He was in good shape at 1 under for the tournament after 9 holes, but was 4 over for the last 9, including bogeys at the 16th and 18th to finish on 3 over. Cut mark is currently 1 over, but could move out to 2 over, making that bogey on the 18th very costly.

abff wrote: »
    Looks like another missed cut for Peter Lawrie, unfortunately. He was in good shape at 1 under for the tournament after 9 holes, but was 4 over for the last 9, including bogeys at the 16th and 18th to finish on 3 over. Cut mark is currently 1 over, but could move out to 2 over, making that bogey on the 18th very costly.

Poor guy, just can't seem to get going. And he has so few opportunities, if he doesn't take them, well it's curtains.

Gareth Maybin seems to be safely in to the third round.

Els having a nightmare ....7 over......on the 10th.......could miss the cut.

• Advertisement

Gareth Maybin going well today - sitting on -4 with two to play. Tied 11th. Good man Gareth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Didn't think I would see Charl throwing that one away.

Nice to see Andy win. Keeps a run of non South Africians winning that event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

poor Charl that was shockingly bad :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Had a look at day 4 highlights and they said he could do little better on the 16th where he was through the green, I beg to differ looked like a nice lie and he way overdid it resulting in a 3 putt

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    poor Charl that was shockingly bad :(

It was shocking for a guy with his experience.

Anyway, nice to see some big names playing in Abu Dabi this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Superb performance by kaymer here in the first round.
    Absolute master around this golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

crowds non existent there from what i saw this morning??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

slingerz wrote: »

Looked pretty poor in the afternoon anyway.
    Considering the field is quite good, you would expect a decent crowd.
    Seems to be the normal crowd for these Arab events. Petty non existent unfortunetly. It's just all about the sponsorship money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

slingerz wrote: »

As is usually the case when events are bought in by these oil rich countries.

Nice ace today from Jimenez....

HighLine wrote: »
    As is usually the case when events are bought in by these oil rich countries.

Nice ace today from Jimenez....

But Tom Lewis got a car for his hole in one!

Crowds are always small enough in the middle east all right. Tomorrow is their weekend though, I think, so there'll be more out there.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    But Tom Lewis got a car for his hole in one!

And a nice one too! It was funny, there was a billboard picture of a sailing boat behind the teebox and Miguel started looking up at it wondering if that was his prize! :D

HighLine wrote: »
    And a nice one too! It was funny, there was a billboard picture of a sailing boat behind the teebox and Miguel started looking up at it wondering if that was his prize! :D

When they give a prize like a car for a hole in one, is that it? In other words, if someone else gets a hole in on in the tournament, do they get a car too? It's a nice looking bus on offer this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

vienne86 wrote: »
    When they give a prize like a car for a hole in one, is that it? In other words, if someone else gets a hole in on in the tournament, do they get a car too? It's a nice looking bus on offer this week.

Don't know answer to that question but there was an interesting comment on US golf last week. They were saying caddies regularly get a free car also along with the player. Had to laugh tho because the player got a shiny new car and the caddie apparently got a jeep or pick up from same company. Nothing like a pat on the head for the little man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's one car, well that's what happened last year. Two holes in one on the same hole but the second guy didn't get a car. He got the use of the car for a year.

Well it's a nice start to the year for Lewis. Very very nice wheels there. Then I am thinking of the commentators......when they asked if they do that bus in right hand drive.?!

Don't know answer to that question but there was an interesting comment on US golf last week. They were saying caddies regularly get a free car also along with the player. Had to laugh tho because the player got a shiny new car and the caddie apparently got a jeep or pick up from same company. Nothing like a pat on the head for the little man.

Reminds me of the time Paul Casey's caddie, the "wee man" Craig Connelly, thought he had just won a new car for himself. He obviously had some sort of bet on with Paul and if a car was up for grabs, it was his....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kaymer devoured the course this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

daft course and place.

Are they the so called sand flies, they look head wrecking ?millions of them .

But no choice when Rory is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Nice 69 by Damien McGrane today to reach 4 under. Cut mark looks like being 2 under, which would leave Darren Clarke missing the cut by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

I feel like I'm looking at the death notices when I see "retd" beside Michael Campbell's name on the leaderboard....is this a new injury?

I see stenson is not in the humour to play good golf this week.

Advertisement