Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

abff wrote: »
    Decent enough start to the season for Phelan. Oosthuizen's finish gets him into the top 50 in the year end world rankings and moves him ahead of Shane Lowry. Danny Willett's finish may have cost him a guaranteed place in next year's Masters - it's touch and go whether he'll be in the year end top 50.

Is there more tournament play before the end of the year? I thought that today's ranking would effectively be how things stand at year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

vienne86 wrote: »
    Is there more tournament play before the end of the year? I thought that today's ranking would effectively be how things stand at year end.

The season usually ends after week 50. However, the Asian Tour have an event in Dubai this week. The total prize fund is only $500,000, but I think it carries full Asian Tour ranking points, with 14 points for the winner. If so, there will be world ranking points up for grabs down to 17th place.

Projected year end standings currently show Danny Willett at 50th and Tommy Fleetwood at 51st. The projected gap between them is very narrow. Fleetwood is playing in Dubai and if he picks up any world ranking points, he will move ahead of Willett and into the top 50.

I don't think there is anyone else playing this week who could potentially break into the year end top 50, but I'll know for sure when they publish the field on the OWGR website. Based on last week, it could be Wednesday or even Thursday before this happens.

The season usually ends after week 50. However, the Asian Tour have an event in Dubai this week. The total prize fund is only $500,000, but I think it carries full Asian Tour ranking points, with 14 points for the winner. If so, there will be world ranking points up for grabs down to 17th place.

Projected year end standings currently show Danny Willett at 50th and Tommy Fleetwood at 51st. The projected gap between them is very narrow. Fleetwood is playing in Dubai and if he picks up any world ranking points, he will move ahead of Willett and into the top 50.

I don't think there is anyone else playing this week who could potentially break into the year end top 50, but I'll know for sure when they publish the field on the OWGR website. Based on last week, it could be Wednesday or even Thursday before this happens.

Just to follow up my earlier post, the entry list for Dubai is shown here on the Asian Tour website http://www.asiantour.com/tournaments/407/entries/

Unless there is a late entry by someone close to the top 50, the only player who could potentially break into the top 50 this week is Tommy Fleetwood.

Just to follow up my earlier post, the entry list for Dubai is shown here on the Asian Tour website http://www.asiantour.com/tournaments/407/entries/

Unless there is a late entry by someone close to the top 50, the only player who could potentially break into the top 50 this week is Tommy Fleetwood.

Pity it's not on TV. Although maybe it is no harm to have a break from watching golf!

Fleetwood has had a bad first round of +3 and is join 81st, so if he is to progress into the top 50 he will need to get going. Willett might be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So Willett and Fleetwood will both move ahead of Streelman this week no matter what the outcome ?

Rikand wrote: »
    So Willett and Fleetwood will both move ahead of Streelman this week no matter what the outcome ?

Hadn't copped that Willett was not 51. I think we need one of our rankings gurus on here to sort us out!

That's correct. Not necessarily this week, but by next week when the year end rankings are published.

Well Fleetwood has missed the cut, so where does that leave things?

Well Fleetwood has missed the cut, so where does that leave things?

He's still playing as far as I can tell. 4 over with 9 holes to play. Cut looks like being 2 over or 3 over.

If he makes the cut, he will need to finish in the top 17 and ties. That will guarantee him at least 1.2 world ranking points, which would push him marginally ahead of Willett. If he fails to make the top 17, Willett will end the year at 50th in the World Rankings.

• Advertisement

He's still playing as far as I can tell. 4 over with 9 holes to play. Cut looks like being 2 over or 3 over.

If he makes the cut, he will need to finish in the top 17 and ties. That will guarantee him at least 1.2 world ranking points, which would push him marginally ahead of Willett. If he fails to make the top 17, Willett will end the year at 50th in the World Rankings.

My mistake earlier - didn't realise he was still playing. Anyway he missed the cut by a country mile, so that should make Willett number 50. I like that guy - very nice golfer. Mind you, I admre Fleetwood for the way he has got his career going too.

My mistake earlier - didn't realise he was still playing. Anyway he missed the cut by a country mile, so that should make Willett number 50. I like that guy - very nice golfer. Mind you, I admre Fleetwood for the way he has got his career going too.

Yes, I kind of feel sorry for Fleetwood, but I think I would have felt even more sorry for Willett if he had just narrowly missed out on the top 50 because of his disastrous final three holes last week.

Yes, I kind of feel sorry for Fleetwood, but I think I would have felt even more sorry for Willett if he had just narrowly missed out on the top 50 because of his disastrous final three holes last week.

Yes, I agree. Felt so sorry for Willett last week, and I think he deserves to get into the top 50.

I know it's not European Tour, but I see that Darren Clarke has had a 64 today in Dubai and is currently tied for the lead at 9 under.

I know it's not European Tour, but I see that Darren Clarke has had a 64 today in Dubai and is currently tied for the lead at 9 under.

Finished up with four tied for the lead and Clarke just one shot behind. And there was me wondering why on earth he was playing this event!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Finished up with four tied for the lead and Clarke just one shot behind. And there was me wondering why on earth he was playing this event!

21 players within 3 of the lead going in to final day. Good luck picking a winner of this one!

21 players within 3 of the lead going in to final day. Good luck picking a winner of this one!

Spreading out a bit now, but still half the round to go. Clarke only on par so far today, while most others a couple below par, so slipping down the leaderboard.

So Clarke shot another 72 today, leaving him tied 15th. It was the 64 yesterday that shot him up the leaderboard, but a decent week nevertheless.

So any change expected in the world rankings after this latest Dubai event?

So Willett got 50th slot, with Fleetwood just missing out at 51 - still a great effort given where he was a couple of years ago. Delighted for Willett though. Lowry stays at 44 - what a season!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What the hell is wrong with Streelman, why did he not play in 6 weeks in order to secure his top 50 spot??:confused:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with Streelman, why did he not play in 6 weeks in order to secure his top 50 spot??:confused:

I was wondering that too....maybe something personal? But I'm not aware of any issues.

I reckon he thought he was safe when he set his schedule for the last few weeks. He was 41st heading into the HSBC Champions and was still 44th afterwards, despite only finishing 56th in the HSBC. It took a number of good performances by the people who passed him and by the time he realised what was happening (assuming he was keeping an eye on the rankings), it may have been too late to do anything about it. Anyway, he's already qualified for next year's Masters by virtue of winning the Travelers Championship in June.

Of course, that's all speculation on my part, so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I reckon he thought he was safe when he set his schedule for the last few weeks. He was 41st heading into the HSBC Champions and was still 44th afterwards, despite only finishing 56th in the HSBC. It took a number of good performances by the people who passed him and by the time he realised what was happening (assuming he was keeping an eye on the rankings), it may have been too late to do anything about it. Anyway, he's already qualified for next year's Masters by virtue of winning the Travelers Championship in June.

Of course, that's all speculation on my part, so who knows?

Sure you've got to Speculate to Accumulate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A top 50 spot didn't matter to Streelman, made no difference to him.

A top 50 spot didn't matter to Streelman, made no difference to him.

He was well up in FedEx points, wasn't he? Probably that matters more to him?

So the tour gets going again this week with the South African Open. Can't find and entry list though.

So the tour gets going again this week with the South African Open. Can't find and entry list though.

The entry list is shown here http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015000/teetimes/index.html under tee times (?)

I see that Peter Lawrie has received an invitation. Hopefully he'll pick up some prize money and start the year on a positive note.

The only other Irish player on the entry list is Gareth Maybin, but Kevin Phelan in second reserve, so hopefully he'll get in.

The entry list is shown here http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2015/tournamentid=2015000/teetimes/index.html under tee times (?)

I see that Peter Lawrie has received an invitation. Hopefully he'll pick up some prize money and start the year on a positive note.

The only other Irish player on the entry list is Gareth Maybin, but Kevin Phelan in second reserve, so hopefully he'll get in.
    ....and maybe Simon Thornton too. Delighted Peter Lawrie has got a chance here......it would be brilliant if he did well because he will have few enough chances this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I see on Twitter Rory hit his first shot in four weeks today.

I just thought that was a crazy amount of time for the world number 1 to not practice but sure what do I really know!

Advertisement