Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

P.S Am I the only one that cant stand Poulter?

Your certainly not. He is definitely someone who divides opinions.
    Personally I think he is over rated a little. He talks his game and himself up an awful lot and doesn't really produce the goods except for Ryder cups.

He has 12 wins on the European tour but none since 2012 and 3 of those victories have been in match play tournaments. Hardly the cv of one of the best players in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Your certainly not. He is definitely someone who divides opinions.
    Personally I think he is over rated a little. He talks his game and himself up an awful lot and doesn't really produce the goods except for Ryder cups.

He has 12 wins on the European tour but none since 2012 and 3 of those victories have been in match play tournaments. Hardly the cv of one of the best players in the world.

They said on Sky that he works really hard. Great record in matchplay, but I'd say the Ryder cup was a reality check for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not just about his wins, it's about the way he became a professional without all the frills and was one of those guys who just went for it without any sort of amateur career, he was only down to 4 (not +4) when he turned pro...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DirtyLeeds14

Agree with above, Poulter turned Pro off 4 and did the PGA training / worked in the Pro-Shop / gave lessons and played his way from the bottom of professional golf all the way to the top, that's why I respect him.

Robert Rock and Paul Lawrie are the only other tour Pros I know of that did that. Don't think many other top golfers had real jobs before making it mostly junior and college protégés.

Agree with above, Poulter turned Pro off 4 and did the PGA training / worked in the Pro-Shop / gave lessons and played his way from the bottom of professional golf all the way to the top, that's why I respect him.

Robert Rock and Paul Lawrie are the only other tour Pros I know of that did that. Don't think many other top golfers had real jobs before making it mostly junior and college protégés.

It is only since I heard this that I began to thaw my opinion of him. You'd have to admire the guy.

• Advertisement

Ah flip. Play suspended.....was really enjoying this and looking forward to a few more hours. Good thing they got play started early.

Edit: Play over for the day now. Resumes 8 a.m. tomorrow.

How come they seem to be playing in their same groupings today as the first two days?

Edit: OK I think I see why - second round now finished when they started sending players out for the third round. Good idea to pack as many as they can in while they can play.

Lovely start from Lowry. 2 under thru 4 and just 3 behind poulter now.

Poulter is fussing about the weather......he should just get on with his round.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Poulter is fussing about the weather......he should just get on with his round.

When you off complaining about these little things, your head is clearly not fully on your golf game. That's when mistakes happen.

• Advertisement

When you off complaining about these little things, your head is clearly not fully on your golf game. That's when mistakes happen.

I think Poulter is catchable. C'mon Shane. Himself and the mechanic seem to be egging each other on.

I think Poulter is catchable. C'mon Shane. Himself and the mechanic seem to be egging each other on.

He hasn't won in quite a while so he will be under pressure now to see this tournament through.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on low'ers!

I've been out - what happened Poulter on the 15th?

John daly 4 under for his day :) good man wild thing

Disappointing finish from Shane but still in with a shout tomorrow. Is only 4 behind but will need to shoot about 5 or 6 under.
    Hard to see past Westwood or poulter to get the win though.

Disappointing finish from Shane but still in with a shout tomorrow. Is only 4 behind but will need to shoot about 5 or 6 under.
    Hard to see past Westwood or poulter to get the win though.

Neither Westwood or Poulter have had good seasons. In fact they have been pretty crappy. I think this tournament is wide open, and Shane has a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

It's a bit mad that they can't do the 4th round draw until tomorrow morning because one player in the final group decided not to putt out. I presume his playing partners will have to return to the course with him at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I bet they're not particularly pleased with him.

abff wrote: »
    It's a bit mad that they can't do the 4th round draw until tomorrow morning because one player in the final group decided not to putt out. I presume his playing partners will have to return to the course with him at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I bet they're not particularly pleased with him.

I have just seen that there is one player to play 18....didn't realise he just had to putt out and decided not to - silly bugger. Who are his poor unfortunate playing partners?

I have just seen that there is one player to play 18....didn't realise he just had to putt out and decided not to - silly bugger. Who are his poor unfortunate playing partners?

Raphaël Jacquelin and Thomas Aiken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The three Turkish amateurs aren't covering themselves in glory... 96 over between the 3 of them.

Looks like Shane might be out with the mechanic again tomorrow.

First round today: Kevin Phelan -3, Simon Thornton -2, Peter Lawrie -1. Leader is on -5. Still a long way to go.

First round today: Kevin Phelan -3, Simon Thornton -2, Peter Lawrie -1. Leader is on -5. Still a long way to go.

Nice start for those lads. Can't even begin to imagine the pressure they feel playing this week.

Canizares finished with a bogey on the 9th. Lowry teeing off at 8 a.m. Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Last day at the office for Robert-Jan Derksen. He'll bow out still within the world top 200.

The auld watch is being polished at the clubhouse. - All the best to him.

Another right start from Shane. Hopefully keeps in touch with Westwood and poulter till the back 9 anyway.

LinksLad wrote: »
    Last day at the office for Robert-Jan Derksen. He'll bow out still within the world top 200.

I was surprised to hear he was packing it in - wonder what he has in mind for the rest of his life. Nice guy. Good player.

Seems to be a birdie fest out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

LinksLad wrote: »

Only 40 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Some great camera work at this place, really feel close to the players, Poulter is playing great but my word is taking time over the ball

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement