Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

It seems the criteria allowed for a minimum of 78 this time around with no mention of maximum.

Could have been a lot more with 10 of the top 50 in the world not playing.

I thought the overall criteria were based on a number of people qualifying under different headings, with additional players being added under other criteria if there weren't enough people to fill the field. Seems a bit odd, particularly having an amateur in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

abff wrote: »
    I thought the overall criteria were based on a number of people qualifying under different headings, with additional players being added under other criteria if there weren't enough people to fill the field. Seems a bit odd, particularly having an amateur in the field.

It still is but it seems the latest Criteria allows for 78 and more! I think the criteria has been expanded since the pga tour accepted it as an event. It used to be an event for winners only wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Looking forward to this week's tournament.

Meanwhile, I see George O'Grady is leaving - he seems to have been with the European Tour for ever.

It still is but it seems the latest Criteria allows for 78 and more! I think the criteria has been expanded since the pga tour accepted it as an event. It used to be an event for winners only wasn't it?

Yes, it was primarily for winners with a few players from the top of the FedEx Cup rankings and The Race to Dubai rankings. Before that it was just winners plus the top 25 in the OWGR. I think part of the problem this year is that there were very few European Tour events that were worth 40 points or more to the winner, so they increased the number of RtD places from 5 to 15.

But there seem to be some categories where the number of qualifiers exceeds the stated number of places available. Not sure why this is, but I don't think there will be any explanation offered.

Still a shed load of world ranking points available this week despite Rory's absence. Worth 68 points to the winner and a great opportunity for Shane Lowry to finally break into the top 50.

Great round from GMac. Pity Shane couldn't do something similar.....or at least something better than that awful first round. Hope he recovers.

• Advertisement

Stadler only lasted 2 holes, withdrew with a wrist injury.
    Would have been a slow frustrating day for Shane.

Stadler only lasted 2 holes, withdrew with a wrist injury.
    Would have been a slow frustrating day for Shane.

OK - Shane doesn't waste time on the course, so it will have been difficult for him. Let's hope he gets his head around it for tomorrow.

Nice to see morw good stuff from McDowell today, be great if he could nick a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Was just looking at the HSBC and what entry fees are like, as thought it would be much busier.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014088/eventinfo/index.html

1000 yuan a day (for the weekend) which equates to €132.

:eek::eek:

GMac looking very comfortable. I'd love to see him win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great to see Poulter finding a bit of form. He does love that course

GMac lead under threat now. Kaymer lurking, and Watson, and Poulter on the prowl as well. Last round will be interesting.

Brilliant stuff from Bubba after he looked like he threw it away on the 71st, well played Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Disappointing weekend for McDowell. To think -12 would have won it and he was -10 after two rounds

GMac should have won that. I didn't see it, so don't know what happened, but he seemed so comfortable in the first three rounds, the result is surprising. Fair play to Bubba though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He got a LOT of putts in the first 2 rounds. He must not have got as many in the last 2

Very disappointed to see David Higgins fail to make it through second stage of qualifying school.

Michael McGeady was the only Irish player to be successful, he will join Phelan, Lawrie, Thornton and Maybin at the final stage starting this weekend.

Niall Kearney was in a great position but had a disappointing final day to miss out.

Just looking at the European money list, it seems almost impossible for anyone to catch McIlroy this year. I think Sky said only three (Donaldson, Siem, Garcia) could possible catch him, and they would be depending on McIlroy not going too well next week.

Sky were talking up Tyrell Hatton's clothing......looks to me like he's kitted out in Ireland rugby gear!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Colsaerts had a 10 on the Par 4 4th, wonder what happened there?

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »

That's why we need Shot Tracker on the European Tour website.

That sort of thing is something I associate with a certain Irish player......very very unusual for a pro player. Anyway, there'll be none of that from the Irish player this week in Mexico.

Adam Scott had a 9 last week, gives hope to us all!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Garcia said he fancied his chances of catching mcilroy. Then he goes and shoots 3 over :)

Serious rounds from Jimenez and poulter. Jimenez hasn't been playing well either.

Garcia said he fancied his chances of catching mcilroy. Then he goes and shoots 3 over :)

Serious rounds from Jimenez and poulter. Jimenez hasn't been playing well either.

Does Poulter always seem to do well at the end of the season? Glad to see him playing well. Really surprised Jimenez going so well.

Miguel hasn't done a thing since he won his home open, total surprise.
    Maybe he's only sobering up after it!!

Wade Ormsby's back 9, 8 birdies and 1 bogey!

P.S Am I the only one that cant stand Poulter?

P.S Am I the only one that cant stand Poulter?

No you are not! I have always considered him a total prat, but I think I have mellowed as I now actually now have a bit of admiration for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

vienne86 wrote: »
    Does Poulter always seem to do well at the end of the season? Glad to see him playing well...

Just switched from Cobra to Titleist clubs so on honeymoon last week in China and so far this week, he obviously loves the move...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

vienne86 wrote: »
    No you are not! I have always considered him a total prat, but I think I have mellowed as I now actually now have a bit of admiration for him.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about him, too. Maybe he's also mellowed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

slave1 wrote: »
    Just switched from Cobra to Titleist clubs so on honeymoon last week in China and so far this week, he obviously loves the move...

I thought he might have switched to a Scotty also but saw him today using an Odyssey of some sort. Glad to see him find some form after a poor year.

Advertisement