Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do extremist Muslims hate/fear women so much?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Madam_X wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia - not a great example tbh. While specifically very rich women enjoy plenty of privileges, they're not doing too well as regards basics rights.

You'll rarely hear a Saudi woman complain over her rights or her life,but you'll hear american journalists complain for her.Saudi women having no rights in reality day to day in Saudi is practically a myth,in fact they usually hold higher positions than men and usually control the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

pmcmahon wrote: »
    You'll rarely hear a Saudi woman complain over her rights or her life,but you'll hear american journalists complain for her.Saudi women having no rights in reality day to day in Saudi is practically a myth,in fact they usually hold higher positions than men and usually control the money.

Uh... what?

Uh... what?

shocked?,spend some time in saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

I thought they weren't allowed to drive? Or travel anywhere unless chaperoned by a male relative? Are they not meant to have a male 'guardian' at all stages of life?

Yet they manage to hold higher positions than men and control the money? Wow.

shocked?,spend some time in saudi.

So your evidence is..? & don't say: I seen it when I was there.

• Advertisement

seenitall wrote: »
    I thought they weren't allowed to drive?
    Or travel anywhere unless chaperoned by a male relative?
    Are they not meant to have a male 'guardian' at all stages of life?

Yet they manage to hold higher positions than men and control the money? Wow.

No they're not allowed to drive (free taxi service?

They don't have to be chaperoned by a male relative,no.

Guardian can include any family member and is more religious than anything.

Yes they do,they hold more professional roles than men.

And yes,they control the family's financial affairs and/or their business affairs.

So your evidence is..? & don't say: I seen it when I was there.

I did see it when i was there and you can see it yourself if you do a little click of that mouse of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I did see it when i was there and you can see it yourself if you do a little click of that mouse of yours.
    I had a quick click

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia#Employment
    Women are allowed to work as long as their husbands or their male guardians approve of the work. A woman's work must also be deemed suitable for the female physique and mentality. For example, it is forbidden for women to be appointed as judges, and positions of high public office are reserved for men.[26][27][28] Teaching and nursing are common professions for women. The number of women working in finance increased 280% between 2000 and 2008.[59]

So you carried out a lot of surveys when you were over there, yeah?

Maybe you can give me a link to some of the research..

So you carried out a lot of surveys when you were over there, yeah?

Maybe you can give me a link to some of the research..

what do you want to know? clearly i didn't survey anybody :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

what do you want to know?

Whether or not you can provide credible sources that will back up your claims & what those sources are... that's what I want to know.

pharmaton wrote: »
    you won't find women on building sites,nor will you see them here very often.Judges etc are appointed by the royal family representatives of the region which i grant you are men due to the ties with Imams.

you won't find women on building sites,nor will you see them here very often.Judges etc are appointed by the royal family representatives of the region which i grant you are men due to the ties with Imams.
    from the same link
    Women in Saudi Arabia make up between 5% and 15% of the workforce.

Whether or not you can provide credible sources that will back up your claims & what those sources are... that's what I want to know.
    Education
    There's a secret weapon in Saudi Arabia often forgotten and frequently ignored by the West: Saudi women — and they are smart, intelligent and qualified. Thanks to the Muslim injunction to seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave, they are educated to the same level as, if not higher than, the men, and their grades are often better. They are PhDs, have second degrees and exercise huge influence in the family, or extended family; they organize the households, marriages and other rites of passage and they understand the social and tribal webs and networks.

Because of the basis of inheritance in shari'ah (Islamic law), they own considerable fortunes in their own right and indeed a good part of the wealth of the country. They also don't have to change their names following marriage. Under shari'ah a woman is supposed to have control of her inheritance, dowry before and after marriage. Many businesses are owned by women, according to the lists kept by the regional Chambers of Commerce & Industry. But these lists have not made a distinction between those businesses actively run by women and those owned by them. For instance, in the industrial sector industries owned by women amount to more than SR4.5 billion ($1.2 billion), but few women are actively running these investments.

pharmaton wrote: »
    from the same link

Due to the fact that the majority of women don't have to work,not because they aren't allowed to work.Also did you also take into consideration the roles of those 15% hold such as teachers,nurses,doctors etc etc?

Due to the fact that the majority of women don't have to work,not because they aren't allowed to work.Also did you also take into consideration the roles of those 15% hold such as teachers,nurses,doctors etc etc?

I did, in context though it's still seems like a bleak existence based in Sharia law
    education

Originally Posted by Washington Post
    There's a secret weapon in Saudi Arabia often forgotten and frequently ignored by the West: Saudi women — and they are smart, intelligent and qualified. Thanks to the Muslim injunction to seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave, they are educated to the same level as, if not higher than, the men, and their grades are often better. They are PhDs, have second degrees and exercise huge influence in the family, or extended family; they organize the households, marriages and other rites of passage and they understand the social and tribal webs and networks.

Because of the basis of inheritance in shari'ah (Islamic law), they own considerable fortunes in their own right and indeed a good part of the wealth of the country. They also don't have to change their names following marriage. Under shari'ah a woman is supposed to have control of her inheritance, dowry before and after marriage. Many businesses are owned by women, according to the lists kept by the regional Chambers of Commerce & Industry. But these lists have not made a distinction between those businesses actively run by women and those owned by them. For instance, in the industrial sector industries owned by women amount to more than SR4.5 billion ($1.2 billion), but few women are actively running these investments.

Link is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-adv/specialsales/spotlight/saudi/art14.html

Features, given the circumstances here, the exceptionally noteworthy caveat: This Special Advertising Supplement was produced by Metropolitan Press, an Impact Media company, and did not involve the editorial or reporting staff of The Washington Post.

Link is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-adv/specialsales/spotlight/saudi/art14.html

Features, given the circumstances here, the exceptionally noteworthy caveat: This Special Advertising Supplement was produced by Metropolitan Press, an Impact Media company, and did not involve the editorial or reporting staff of The Washington Post.

How about research carried out by the university of maryland then?
    UMUCWorking Paper Series –Number 2009‐002
    Women Entrepreneursin Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    • Women control much of wealth in the country and thus women entrepreneurs
    have access to informal funding. Saudi women as a whole own estimated cash
    funds of SR45 billion, of which “75% is sitting idle in bank deposits.” (Parker,
    2007).
    • Women own about four percent of the total registered businesses in the Kingdom
    with 5,500 commercial registrations of women’s projects, representing 20% of the
    business in the retail, contracting, wholesale and transferable industries sectors
    (Parker, 2007). Arab News published Top 20 List of Saudi Women’s Business in
    March 2007. “Saudi men have traditionally been the entrepreneurs but our women
    are no longer standing in the shadows. They have stepped into the light and have
    become the backbone of society. We in the Kingdom are fortunate to have welleducated, financially powerful women (Almaeena, 2007).
    • Some Saudi women participate in entrepreneurial efforts through their families.
    Women own some 40% of family run companies, very often as silent partners
    (Parker, 2007).
    • Not all Saudi men are against women working or owning businesses. Some
    women entrepreneurs receive support psychological support and business advice
    from their husbands and fathers.

How about research carried out by the university of maryland then?
    Originally Posted by University of Maryland
    UMUCWorking Paper Series –Number 2009‐002
    Women Entrepreneursin Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    • Women control much of wealth in the country and thus women entrepreneurs
    have access to informal funding. Saudi women as a whole own estimated cash
    funds of SR45 billion, of which “75% is sitting idle in bank deposits.” (Parker,
    2007).
    • Women own about four percent of the total registered businesses in the Kingdom
    with 5,500 commercial registrations of women’s projects, representing 20% of the
    business in the retail, contracting, wholesale and transferable industries sectors
    (Parker, 2007). Arab News published Top 20 List of Saudi Women’s Business in
    March 2007. “Saudi men have traditionally been the entrepreneurs but our women
    are no longer standing in the shadows. They have stepped into the light and have
    become the backbone of society. We in the Kingdom are fortunate to have welleducated, financially powerful women (Almaeena, 2007).
    • Some Saudi women participate in entrepreneurial efforts through their families.
    Women own some 40% of family run companies, very often as silent partners
    (Parker, 2007).
    • Not all Saudi men are against women working or owning businesses. Some
    women entrepreneurs receive support psychological support and business advice
    from their husbands and fathers.

Link to copy of report in PDF: http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Women+Entrepreneurs+in+Riyadh%2C+Saudi+Arabia&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fncys.ksu.edu.sa%2Fsites%2Fncys.ksu.edu.sa%2Ffiles%2FSaudi%2520women%252014.pdf&ei=Xtp1UYqMDIiX7QaczYFY&usg=AFQjCNEralepjU17-8S8P-ErYCM-tJhmwA&sig2=yMw7ToR3i3MdGiJWM-xl2g&bvm=bv.45512109,d.ZGU

Sorry that the link is so long.

Uh. Good report. However, if anyone reads page 7, they can see the report doesn't exactly back up your claims.

45% of the population, 4% ownership of the total registered businesses, a fraction of which are as silent partners. & don't forget that there is an elite, so 2 of that 4 percentage points may be members of the leading ten or hundred families.

Anyway, it's almost 2 here. G'night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'd rather be poor, dumb, and free than rich, educated, and living in a medieval ****-hole like Saudi Arabia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

That report was in 2007 under King Fahd, the situation today is totally different.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Everyone wants control? Its not fear but insecurity (bit of an oxymoron, no?)

Yes everyone wants a degree of control. It's why things like democracy exist. No, you could be insecure in a relationship for plenty of reasons. You could be jealous for instance. Jealousy is not necessarily based on fear.
    It mostly happens in Islamic countries, but its not a religous thing?

It doesn't ONLY happen in Islamic countries though and it doesn't happen uniformly there either. I'm no fan of the Islamic faith and even less so of its interpretation but even I'll admit there are moderate Muslims too.
    Its primitive but natural?

Yes. Wanting to control everything is primitive; it's a natural thing to want to do. Learning to lose that grip is a learned behaviour.
    There is Irish people who are not fearful, but insecure, who want a demented form of control like in Islamic countries?

There are Irish men and women who exist in abusive relationships where control is power. I would venture a guess that there are relationships where men/women are fearful of leaving the house for fear of what their controlling, jealous, abusive partner might do.
    Defuq am I reading here.

I realise all this is difficult but it's actually 'dafuq' too while we're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Here's a (pretty old) blog I came across a while ago written by an expat Saudi man.

http://muttawa.blogspot.kr/

He has some interesting observations of the status of women in his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd rather be poor, dumb, and free than rich, educated, and living in a medieval ****-hole like Saudi Arabia.

Depends. Money can buy a lot of freedom. Lack of money can restrict your freedom a lot. It could be argued that a rich woman in Saudi has more oppertunities, or at least a greater chance of availing of the freedoms they do have, than a poor woman in the west.

(BTW, I realise that's not an argument for or against Sauid. I just thought it was relevant to that post)

Advertisement