Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do extremist Muslims hate/fear women so much?

Options
  • 22-04-2013 5:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

To go to these lengths to stop female education:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0421/383689-afghanistan-schoolgirls-poison/?noredirection=true

Up to 74 schoolgirls in Afghanistan's far north fell sick after smelling gas and were being examined for possible poisoning.

There have been numerous cases of mass poisonings of schoolgirls by elements of Afghanistan's ultra-conservative society that are opposed to women's education.

Local officials said the girls became ill after smelling gas at their school, Bibi Maryam, in Takhar province's capital, Taluqan.

The city is about 250km north of the country's capital, Kabul.

The Takhar governor's spokesman, Sulaiman Moradi, blamed "enemies of the government and the country" for the mass illness and said the aim was to stop girls from going to school.

The girls were taken to the provincial hospital and most were released after being treated.

Several remained in a critical condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Backward arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Why do extremists of every faith hate/fear women so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Why do extremists of every faith hate/fear women so much?

Boob envy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because the bible / koran / whatever you're having generally insinuates it in their teachings / rules for life and the extremists can latch onto it easily and blow it out of all proportion to their own advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why do we expect extremists of any kind to have rational explanations for their behaviour?

Was the death of that Indian woman in the hospital in Galway a result of extremism?

• Advertisement

Why do we expect extremists of any kind to have rational explanations for their behaviour?

Was the death of that Indian woman in the hospital in Galway a result of extremism?
    *groan* Give it a rest will ye? Or rather, give her a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I'd expect extremist rationalists to have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Muslims and their treatment of women being criticised - divert, divert. Bring up Savita.

Our Sinn Fein supporting friend here would probably by the first to roll his eyes when his opponents wheel out Garda McCabe or Jean McConville as a stick to bash shinners with.

Meh.

*groan* Give it a rest will ye? Or rather, give her a rest.

I'm flattered that your only contribution to this thread is a lame critique of my contribution.

Would you like to follow me and comment on everything I contribute?

Would that make you happy?

Muslims and their treatment of women being criticised - divert, divert. Bring up Savita.

Our Sinn Fein supporting friend here would probably by the first to roll his eyes when his opponents wheel out Garda McCabe or Jean McConville as a stick to bash shinners with.

Meh.

Can we bring Veronica Guerin as well for the craic?

• Advertisement

I'm flattered that your only contribution to this thread is a lame critique of my contribution.

Well it is half 6 on a monday morning, the internet is quiet for another bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No.

Maybe you missed it in the news when the results of the inquest came out.

Unlike you and your type I try not to choose random variables and connect dots that aren't there.
    Our Sinn Fein supporting friend

I'm a Sinn Fein supporter? That's news to me.
    the first to roll his eyes when his opponents wheel out Garda McCabe or Jean McConville as a stick to bash shinners with

Mc Cabe and Jean Mc Conville... the only two victims of the conflict useful idiots can name.

Yawn.

Yawn.

You should go to bed. It's 6.41am.

Unlike you and your type I try not to choose random variables and connect dots that aren't there..

Indeed. That is why you brought the Savita case up, in a thread about treatment of women in Afghanistan.

You should go to bed. It's 6.41am.

Why?

Why?
    lol.

Ok you stay up if you want, but it will just make you more grumpy.

Just tired of seeing people dig up that woman time and again for their own agenda

lkionm wrote: »
    Can we bring Veronica Guerin as well for the craic?

Sure why the f*ck not.

Mod

Cop on please and quit with the flaming and sniping.

• Advertisement

Indeed. That is why you brought the Savita case up, in a thread about treatment of women in Afghanistan.

You've extended your generalisations from a geographic area to a demographic.
    Muslims and their treatment of women

What do you mean by the above? Is ill treatment of women an Islamic thing?

You've extended your generalisations from a geographic area to a demographic.

Its the whole premise of this very thread. Muslims in Afghanistan and their mistreatment of women. Did you even read the opening piece?

Do you want to discuss the treatment of women or do you just want to discuss the treatment of women within Afghanistan because you feel like axe grinding?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'd say that the reason has more to do with culture & change. If you look at any place where people aren't that advanced and another group is subjugated, it's always change that people are afraid off. In India where the dalits are treated horribly, it's got nothing to do with gender.

Christian societies were like this until relatively recently. 25 years ago many women still needed their husbands permissions to access a joint account (not saying that's as bad as being forced to wear a burka and never go outside, but you hopefully get my point that discrimination was very real)

And strangely, although the Koran isn't very liberal with regards to womens rights, it's no worse than the bible ever was. Plus it makes the point of stating that women should be protected and looked after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I think there might well be more than one answer.

The most obvious answer would be, they fear losing control. They currently find themselves in the nice position of being the head/sole owner of their family. In full control of everything, with all the rights anybody could give them over life and death of their wive(s) and offspring.

I would imagine the people who fear losing this control most would be the ones who know they've abused it the most, and fear a backlash.

But I do think it does go deeper than that. I suspect that there is a fear of not only losing control over their next of kin, but also a fear of losing control over themselves.
    I always felt that the requirements placed on women by fundamentalist muslims show not so much a disdain for the women themselves, but a pathological fear of not being able to control oneself. I always thought that a burqa is a message to all men out there that at heart, they are nothing more but desire-driven animals who cannot possibly be trusted not to rape a woman once they glimpse her wrist or elbow. It's a statement that no man can be trusted to control himself.
    Having grown up with this hidden message all around them, they might well fear that it's actually true.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

One aspect to it is that boys and young men need their mother's blessing to engage in Jihad or become martyrs. For this to happen, they need to keep the female population ignorant, uneducated and gullible. Otherwise they might start copping that walking into a market with 50lbs of explosives strapped to you probably isn't a noble and godly thing to do. I know all religions subjugate women but the treatment of women in conservative Muslim societies is truly disgusting.

Grayson wrote: »
    Christian societies were like this until relatively recently. 25 years ago many women still needed their husbands permissions to access a joint account (not saying that's as bad as being forced to wear a burka and never go outside, but you hopefully get my point that discrimination was very real).
    True but i dont recall any recent incidents of Christian extremists engaging in the gassing of school children.

Do you want to discuss the treatment of women or do you just want to discuss the treatment of women within Afghanistan because you feel like axe grinding?
    Is failing to legislate for the adequate medical treatment of pregnant women the same as trying to murder school kids?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

True but i dont recall any recent incidents of Christian extremists engaging in the gassing of school children.

Well, not gassing them as such, but hurling abuse, throwing stones and fireworks, even urine-filled balloons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Cross_dispute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm no lover of Catholic church, but comparing them to these extremists is bit lol worthy.

It's one thing not to have women involved in church, another to give them no rights in day to day life.

Advertisement