Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do extremist Muslims hate/fear women so much?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

True but i dont recall any recent incidents of Christian extremists engaging in the gassing of school children.

Depends on what you mean by recent. probably not in your living memory but
    there are still thousands of people alive in Ireland that bear the physical and emotional scars of christian fundamentalism and families directly affected by violence in religious institutions so severe that children were killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's not fear, they just want control. Everyone wants control. It's just a really extreme, demented form of control in Islamic countries. It's really got nothing to do with religion, it's an insecurity thing. It's primitive thinking, but it's fairly natural really. There's Irish men and women like that as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I think the OP is looking specifically at Muslims. The title is a bit of a giveraway.

OP I guess it's all about ensuring men maintain the power. An educated woman is a danger to their ideas of society. In many ways it is similar (although no where near as extreme nowadays) to how the Vatican controls what position women hold in the church.
    Why do we expect extremists of any kind to have rational explanations for their behaviour?

Was the death of that Indian woman in the hospital in Galway a result of extremism?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

token101 wrote: »
    It's not fear, they just want control. Everyone wants control. It's just a really extreme, demented form of control in Islamic countries. It's really got nothing to do with religion, it's an insecurity thing. It's primitive thinking, but it's fairly natural really. There's Irish men and women like that as well!

Everyone wants control? Its not fear but insecurity (bit of an oxymoron, no?). It mostly happens in Islamic countries, but its not a religous thing? Its primitive but natural? There is Irish people who are not fearful, but insecure, who want a demented form of control like in Islamic countries?

Defuq am I reading here.

Have you had your weetabix yet? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

My point of view for what it is worth, rarely do you hear of women raping, torturing, holding against will, towards men. I am not saying it doesn't happen it does and has but in the instances compared to women there is a massive difference. Also it has feck all to do with culture and geography or religion, some societies have evolved and realised their wrongs a lot quicker than others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

My point of view for what it is worth, rarely do you hear of women raping, torturing, holding against will, towards men. I am not saying it doesn't happen it does and has but in the instances compared to women there is a massive difference. Also it has feck all to do with culture and geography or religion, some societies have evolved and realised their wrongs a lot quicker than others.

Which would suggest it has everything to do with culture, geography and religion, no?

Yes in some cases but bad things happen all over the world in all cultures but are tolerated as normal in a lot of places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Which would suggest it has everything to do with culture, geography and religion, no?

Not really. One society may well share a religion with another, but due to cultural differences the way one society will actually live the religion can be quite different. The US and Northern Europe are both mainly protestant Christian, but due to different cultures people in the US will treat religion very differently than people in, say, Sweden.

The same goes for culture, Ireland and the UK have a very similar culture, but one is mainly Catholic while the other is half Protestant, half indifferent.

So to blame the failings of a society on a culture or a religion or the geography means simplifying matters to such an extend that no actual insights can be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

why do people believe everything media and news channels have to say, Think rationally, are we not devoted to criticize muslims for their acts and shift our responsibility as humans. Is helping with MONEY our only responsibility, cant the ones who have better understanding of extremism of any gruesome act, stand up to show better way of living instead of blaming. People belonging to any religion are part of our human race. Women are fighting for their rights in every corner of the globe. Like extreme riches in one part of the globe there are other extremes in other part of the globe. Rich cant be blamed for being cunning and unfair and religion cant be blamed for suppression of women, Both are a result of our social environment in some ways.

I think what I am trying to say (takes a while I know) I believe it not only muslims who hate and fear women, and as for extremists they care for no gender. If all countries looked back in history the fact that women had a back seat in home, work etc and no votes suggest that they all men feared/hated women at one time or another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's an incredibly patriarchal belief system/society. In such a culture the one thing that men fear is loss of reproductive control* and since women are biologically more in control the society seeks to reduce that as much as possible, hence all the covering up, restricted movement, polygamy, virginity being lauded etc. Any deviation from this causes real discomfort and anger.

*a general fear in men throughout history, for obvious reasons. Women always know a child is theirs, men can never be sure, well until DNA testing came along.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

There is something unsettling about the media focus on Islam and predominantly Islamic countries, when it's far from clear that conservative Islam is unique in its treatment of women. I'd wager you'd be a long time waiting for someone to start a thread on AH about bride burnings and sex-selective abortions in India...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

There is something unsettling about the media focus on Islam and predominantly Islamic countries, when it's far from clear that conservative Islam is unique in its treatment of women. I'd wager you'd be a long time waiting for someone to start a thread on AH about bride burnings and sex-selective abortions in India...

India has no oil.

Hindus don't talk about the restoration of the Hindu world empire, demand parallel courts, blow up people in western Europe & north America... nor do they tell us what we can & cannot say... or burn in hell for not being one of them.

Eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

India has no oil.

Hindus don't talk about the restoration of the Hindu world empire, demand parallel courts, blow up people in western Europe & north America... nor do they tell us what we can & cannot say... or burn in hell for not being one of them.

Eh.

No, but neither do most Muslims. Hindus do have a separate legal system if i remember correctly. half of India is governed by village courts. Indian extremists have been known to lock people in churches and mosques and set fire to the buildings. The violence perpetrated by Hindus against other faiths is horrible. But then again, you only said western europe. So you don't care how many are tortured and killed if they're not white?

And maybe if the US was bombing hindus every second day, they might want to blow up a few Americans.

It should also be remembered that Hindus also have a caste system. If you think they're soooo much better than Muslims or Christians, you should look up the word Dalit.

But to be fair, most groups in india have performed some type of ethic violence at some stage. Blaming a particular religion is rarely correct and really just racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I'm no lover of Catholic church, but comparing them to these extremists is bit lol worthy.

It's one thing not to have women involved in church, another to give them no rights in day to day life.

Magdelene Laundries.

Grayson wrote: »
    No, but neither do most Muslims. Hindus do have a separate legal system if i remember correctly. half of India is governed by village courts.

Parallel courts, I'm sure you understand, refers to those in the UK for example. Why are you talking about village courts in India?
    Indian extremists have been known to lock people in churches and mosques and set fire to the buildings. The violence perpetrated by Hindus against other faiths is horrible. But then again, you only said western europe. So you don't care how many are tortured and killed if they're not white?

Stupid question. Playing to some gallery in your head?
    And maybe if the US was bombing hindus every second day, they might want to blow up a few Americans.

And maybe if me auntie had balls, she'd be me uncle..

It should also be remembered that Hindus also have a caste system. If you think they're soooo much better than Muslims or Christians, you should look up the word Dalit.

Seriously? You say this as if there isn't any similarity between treatment of some 'castes' & muslims of, say, sub-Saharan descent in parts of the muslim world.

& 'soooo much better'? Maybe you should look up another couple of words.

But to be fair, most groups in india have performed some type of ethic violence at some stage. Blaming a particular religion is rarely correct and really just racism.

Thanks for sharing this insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Cause they gay, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm no lover of Catholic church, but comparing them to these extremists is bit lol worthy.

It's one thing not to have women involved in church, another to give them no rights in day to day life.

Up until the 1970s a woman working in the civil service had to quit her job if she got married. Similarly a woman also couldn't sign a contract. The mother and child health scheme failed after direct intervention from the church hierarchy. Women still today have no access to abortion if they so choose it. All of this was as a direct result of a Catholic influence in Irish society, basically rooted in the Church's belief that a woman's place is in the home pumping out new Catholics.

To suggest that official Catholicism didn't have a negative effect on women is "lols worthy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Actually, forget this. I thought I was in another forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

FTA69 wrote: »
    To suggest that official Catholicism didn't have a negative effect on women is "lols worthy."
    The didn't suggest that - they just said catholicism today is not as bad for women as islamic fundamentalism. And they're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

India has no oil.

Eh.

I think you just need to brush-up on of what's happening in India before making those comments... they might not be blowing up people in Europe but they massacred thousands in Gujarat... just google about these organizations "Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh - RSS" "Vishwa Hindu Parishad-VHP" "Shivsena" et al and then you'll know about their plans about Hindu Empire in India....

Just search for Khap panchayat's and they are worse then Taliban...

And how many times did you hear about Muslims blowing up themselves in western countries before 2000...

there was a big thread about Boston bombings but did you hear any outrage about 12 innocent kids and a women who died in Nato Air strike couple of weeks ago in Afghanistan - Nope...

So think before you write...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

FTA69 wrote: »
    Up until the 1970s a woman working in the civil service had to quit her job if she got married. Similarly a woman also couldn't sign a contract. The mother and child health scheme failed after direct intervention from the church hierarchy. Women still today have no access to abortion if they so choose it. All of this was as a direct result of a Catholic influence in Irish society, basically rooted in the Church's belief that a woman's place is in the home pumping out new Catholics.

I agree. Whenever I hear of the subjucation of women I have to remind myself that it was within living memory that members of the RCC were locking up women for having sex, were beating people for being left-handed, had created pressure on women to leave work when they got married, were influencing doctors to perform symphisiotomies. Hells, they still have a stranglehold on the Irish education system.

Wibbs put it well; religious control of women is the transferred male control of women, to ensure that the children they bear are their husband's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Parallel courts, I'm sure you understand, refers to those in the UK for example. Why are you talking about village courts in India?

Stupid question. Playing to some gallery in your head?

And maybe if me auntie had balls, she'd be me uncle..

Seriously? You say this as if there isn't any similarity between treatment of some 'castes' & muslims of, say, sub-Saharan descent in parts of the muslim world.

& 'soooo much better'? Maybe you should look up another couple of words.

Thanks for sharing this insight.

You sir, are a troll. Rather than actually counter anything i said, you respond with comments about your transsexual relatives.

BTW, my point about casts is that everywhere in the world there are people who treat others like scum. there were/are Christians in the Us who treat blacks like dirt. there are arabs too. there are Hindus that treat each other like dirt (and members of other religions too since a lot of the original converts to islam and christianity were Hindus of lower castes who were trying to escape the caste system. Hindus therefore traditionally look down on other religions). Everyone treats everyone like crap. It is not a muslim phenomenon.

btw, do you actually know anything about the separate court system? They have it in canada because it works quite well. It's used in civil cases like divorce etc... This is because it's a requirement of the religion and it's not incompatible with western legal systems. In the case of divorce for example, it provides an equitable solution for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh, and if people think that Christians wouldn't oppress women like some other religions check out the 'Quiverful' movement in the States. The name comes from the belief that they should have a 'quiver full of soldiers for god'. Within these groups dating is strictly monitored and chaperoned. While girls are expected to do well in school and go on to college they are also expected to give up the moment their married and start to produce many children. They are expected to defer 100% to their fathers, then to their husbands.

The 'No Longer Quivering' site has some very shocking testimonials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, not gassing them as such, but hurling abuse, throwing stones and fireworks, even urine-filled balloons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Cross_dispute

In fairness, that was a "political" act, since you will not find acceptance, much less promotion of this type of behaviour in any Christian teachings - quite the opposite, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

I'm not a Muslim but I am interested in the welfare of women worldwide so I have done some reading on the subject. This is a way more complex issue than the western media would have you believe.

“Anyone wishing to understand Islam must first separate the religion from the cultural norms and styles of a society.” - Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood. ‘Islam, Culture and Women’, in Islam for Today.

The debate regarding the role and status of women in Muslim society rages with intensity both within and without the religious community. Islamic men and women are not standing by uncritically. Although many Western feminists consider Islam a system patriarchal oppression that must be overhauled before any Muslim woman can truly know personal freedom, Islamic feminists are quick to assert that seventh century Muslim women were in fact afforded legal rights that Western women did not attain until centuries later. Further, the Prophet is widely considered by Muslims to have listened to women with compassion and respect, and to have treated his wives with love and kindness. His first wife Khadijah, his youngest daughter Fatimah and his second wife ‘A’ishah were women who played an important role in the narration of the Ahadith, with ‘A’ishah even being considered an authority on many matters of Islamic Law. ‘A’ishah and the Prophet were said to have spent many hours standing side by side in prayer together. In spite of this, there exists a well-taught Hadith that reads “The Prophet said that the dog, the ass, and woman interrupt prayer if they pass in front of the believer, interposing themselves between him and the qibla.” Mernissi suggests that the misogyny that many Muslim women endure in their culture could in fact be considered to be profoundly un-Islamic.

"All the monotheistic religions are shot through by the conflict between the divine and the feminine, but none more so than Islam, which has opted for the occultation of the feminine, at least symbolically, by trying to veil it, to hide it, to mask it. Islam as sexual practice unfolds with a very special theatricality since it is acted out in a scene where the hijab (veil) occupies a central position. This almost phobic attitude toward women is all the more surprising since we have seen that the Prophet has encouraged his adherents to renounce it as a representative of the jahiliyya and its superstitions. This leads me to ask: is it possible that Islam’s message had only a limited and superficial effect on deeply superstitious seventh century Arabs who failed to integrate its novel approaches to the world and to women? Is it possible that the hijab, the attempt to veil women, is nothing but the expression of the persistence of pre-Islamic mentality, the jahiliyya mentality that Islam was supposed to annihilate?" - Fatima Mernissi, Women and Islam (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 1994), 81

It is certainly true that under Shar‘ia law women generally had fewer legal limitations than they would have had in the West. Whilst Muslim women had the right to keep their surnames once married, to earn money and manage their own financial affairs, to inherit and bestow inheritance, by contrast, such restrictions on married women were only lifted under French law in 1965. However, this is not a clear-cut issue. Ruthven writes:

"Islamic law privileges the family over other institutions: the laws of inheritance, favouring males over females, are written in the Quran along with other discriminatory provisions, such as the testamentary inferiority of females in certain court proceedings. The law, however, is not always a reliable guide to actual social practice: slavery and concubinage, widely practised in pre-colonial times, are also the subject of detailed legal provisions and though permitted under the Shari‘a, both have disappeared (in theory if not always in practice) from Muslim societies. Unlike the hijab or ‘veil’ they are not among the shibboleths insisted upon by today’s Islamists."

It is foolish to imagine that because Western women currently enjoy many freedoms that their predecessors did not that Islam is therefore unique in its oppression of women: “the assertion of masculine power through violence, is by no means exclusively Islamic.” This is undeniable. Generations of women have suffered under the conditions of misogyny quite apart from any religious ethic. Islamic feminists argue that the scriptures of the Qur’an are in fact their strongest ally in their struggle for equity. What shape this equity might take however varies greatly according to the nature and convictions of individual communities. It is an equity that is rarely in line with Western ideas of egalitarianism.

The following passage from the Muslim criptures is often used to defend equality between the sexes:

The self-surrendering men and the self-surrendering women, the believing men and the believing women, the obedient men and the obedient women, the truthful men and the truthful women, the enduring men and the enduring women, the submissive men and the submissive women, the almsgiving men and the almsgiving women, the fasting men and the fasting women, the continent men and the continent women, the Allah-remembering men and the Allah-remembering women--for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a mighty reward (Qur’an 33:35).

The view held by Muslims of the Western woman is complex. Ruthven points out: “In one polemic after another Islamist writers contrast the virtuous Muslim woman with her Western or Westernized counterpart – naked, unchaste, and corrupt, a potent source of fitna or strife.” However, there are also those who view Western women as prisoners of a corrupt over-sexualised commodification project. For them, Islam represents freedom. The Muslim woman must always be free to challenge the status quo. In the Qur’an you read of women who not only openly expressed their beliefs and convictions in the presence of the Prophet, but who also debated and argued, engaging in serious discussions with the Prophet and other Islamic leaders of the age (58:1), even at times standing in opposition to caliphs, who later conceded to the view of those women.

Geaves points out: "The Western media has focused on hijab (veil), purdah (female segregation) and cultural practices such as ‘honour killings’, ‘forced marriages’ and female circumcision. In such sensationalist reporting the attitudes of individuals movements such as the Taleban in Afghanistan are written about as typical of Muslim female experience. However, there are Muslim women who remain highly critical of discrimination and oppression of women in certain Muslim nations."

Our tendency in discourse is to focus on matters which in fact serve only to skew our standpoints rather than inform them.

Also, thousands of women convert to Islam every year. We've got to ask ourselves why.

Thanks for the wall of text there. Now let me just refer you to the title where it says "Extremist Muslims" and not typical Muslims.

imtdub wrote: »
    I think you just need to brush-up on of what's happening in India before making those comments... they might not be blowing up people in Europe but they massacred thousands in Gujarat... just google about these organizations "Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh - RSS" "Vishwa Hindu Parishad-VHP" "Shivsena" et al and then you'll know about their plans about Hindu Empire in India....

I think you need to brush-up on the context of my post.

Hindu empire in India plans is less likely to grab my attention, being Irish & living in Ireland & all.
    Just search for Khap panchayat's and they are worse then Taliban...

It isn't a competition.
    And how many times did you hear about Muslims blowing up themselves in western countries before 2000...

Not as much.. however, many of us are living in 2013.
    there was a big thread about Boston bombings but did you hear any outrage about 12 innocent kids and a women who died in Nato Air strike couple of weeks ago in Afghanistan - Nope...

No. Nor did I see any outrage about countless other horrors that occurred over the years.

I should emphasize that I think many, perhaps all, NATO air strikes are wicked & deplorable.

So think before you write...

I try to... does it not show? ...or do you mean that I should think as you do before I write?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

This is just my own opinion based on what I gave seen and some if the people I know. I don't claim any expertise on the matter and certainly can't give links. Your welcome as always to take or leave it .

It seems to be that Islam has like many religions very definite ideas on sex and sexual urges and attraction. In all of those religions men have sexual urges and those who are not gay desire sexual intercourse with women. This is upsetting to men to lose control and some of their power to woman in this way and perhaps is frowned upon by their religious beliefs. Rather than accept their urges as natural and control them accordingly men tend to blame women for them. Women like Eve are the temptresses leading men into damnation.

They are so appalled by this loss of power that many go beyond and try to ensure that women get no more power in any other area of life. I worked with many doctors and some were devout Muslims and I remember having a discussion with one about how women were responsible for his evil urges. They used their bodies to drive him mad apparently. I asked what about the women who were completely covered with only their eyes visible. I said you can see nothing . He told me that I couldn't see what Islamic eyes could see and even though covered up these women were still alluring men jiggling their bodies in order to drive men mad. I gave up after that. I didn't think there was any reasoning with that level of thinking.

I have heard that self same cry you don't seem women with the eyes of Islam over and over again tho. Thankfully most if the doctors I worked with didn't believe in the same things most didn't believe in Islam which was why they moved to Ireland and the UK in the first place.

Islam has never gone through any renaissance it's never moved forward never had any revisions. It hasn't tried to change to be more relevant to people's lives in the 21 st century . It rather holds people to standards from hundreds of years ago and many other religions are equally guilty of that too but with lesser consequences for those who do not adhere to their rules. Many would say that this is the job of religion. It's not to move and sway with trends and opinion but rather be a constant.

I think that groups use their own interpretation of the Koran and the bible for their own agendas . Always the way. There are old social structures in place still too. Keeping your women under control ensures that her offspring are yours and your not raising another mans child. It's worth noting that this pretty strict Islamic doctor I spoke of was absolutely terrified if displeasing his mother lol

Just my rumblings from what I gave seen and read over the years. I know some lovely Muslims who are really good friends even accepted their gay son. I know some equally devout Christians who did the same. I have Sikh friends who are all sweethearts and my favourite are my Baha'i relatives. So lovely.

I am not religious , I believe in the Big Bang and such . Have a nice day and I hope I didn't offend as it was not my intention.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Noreen1 wrote: »
    In fairness, that was a "political" act, since you will not find acceptance, much less promotion of this type of behaviour in any Christian teachings - quite the opposite, in fact.

As far as I know, the requirement to cover women in bin bags isn't found in explicit detail in the Koran either.

And the bible does provide plenty of quotes that can be used to target people of differing beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Madam_X wrote: »
    The didn't suggest that - they just said catholicism today is not as bad for women as islamic fundamentalism. And they're right.

True. I suppose the thrust of my point is that institutional religion has always been anti-women and that it's not just limited to Islam.

Advertisement