Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4GB SanDisk Sansa Clip+ MP3/FM Radio/Voice Recorder Micro SD €22 Delivered [Ebay]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Apples sound quality has improved over the years. Not all their products have the same sound quality either. So sweeping generalisations may not hold true. On head fi some products are quite liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hollands

Thanks OP for the post. My 2 daughters have one each (not refurbs) so we know they are good. I bought a refurb here when I saw your post. Arrived Friday last and is working perfectly. As someone else mentioned, when you get these, you need to go to settings and change from Europe to Rest of the World in order to to remove the volume restrictor!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Got mine this morning, its tiny! All seems good though, painfully loud at 4/5 volume after setting the audio to rest of the word instead of Europe, quality equal to or better than my Zen Vision M or Android Winamp and all instant response when you press a button which is exactly what I wanted, need to grab a load of FLACs now and see what the real quality is like. Also need to get it Rockbox'd once I get home.

Loving everything about it so far except for a couple of drawbacks:

- Headphone jack is in the wrong place imo, should be on top as you look at the screen not on the right hand side,

- Spring in the clip could be stronger, I wouldnt trust it at any angle other than straight up not to slip off.

- Volume buttons too close together for such a small device, definitely should have spread them out a bit or made them bigger, you mash both with one finger easily.

- No timer on the tracks just a progree bar so you dont know how long the song is or how much has played? Seriously? Hope Rockbox will fix this.

Most of these problems will disappear as I get used to it I dont doubt, delighted with the purchase especially at this price.

Some great themes here:

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipzip

Sort by download count and the most popular one, lebellium Samsung-like, set to clear background is perfect for the Clip Zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Rockbox has an awesome info display, it's actually insane what they have such a tiny screen, song, artist, album, art, time, time bar and all the device status info you could need.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats why I reccomended the 'lebellium Samsung-like' theme there, ive tried basically every android player on the Market since I broke my Zen last week and that little 1 inch screen is more intuitive and information rich than any of them.

The Rockbox Installer left a load of games on my Zip including FreeDoom (open source Doom port), theres Chess, Breakout etc aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Thargor wrote: »
    The Rockbox Installer left a load of games on my Zip including FreeDoom (open source Doom port), theres Chess, Breakout etc aswell.

This is normal. As everything gets included so you don't have to add the games etc. as they are built when the source is built on every change.

Doom won't work without the .wad files tho.
    And the emulators need roms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Got mine this morning, it's tiny as has been mentioned already. It's a great little player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

I bought a Clip Zip from ITStor to replace my trusty Clip + which died this week. The Clip Zip arrived today but I've a couple of issues with it:

Very, very slow start-up: 40 seconds !! (Almost as slow shut-down but not as irritating as the slow start up)

No 'Resume Playback': As I listen to podcasts being able to stop a podcast and pick up again where I left off is essential. It was automatic with the Clip+ (I was given an option to resume playback or restart). Not so in the Clip Zip as far as I can tell.

Is anyone else having similar issues with their Clip Zips?

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    This is normal. As everything gets included so you don't have to add the games etc. as they are built when the source is built on every change.

Doom won't work without the .wad files tho.
    And the emulators need roms etc.
    It can actually run Doom 2 aswell, you seen the little Paint app? :D

Dont think Ill bother trying to get any emulators up and running tbh.

coolaboola wrote: »
    I bought a Clip Zip from ITStor to replace my trusty Clip + which died this week. The Clip Zip arrived today but I've a couple of issues with it:

Very, very slow start-up: 40 seconds !! (Almost as slow shut-down but not as irritating as the slow start up)

No 'Resume Playback': As I listen to podcasts being able to stop a podcast and pick up again where I left off is essential. It was automatic with the Clip+ (I was given an option to resume playback or restart). Not so in the Clip Zip as far as I can tell.

Is anyone else having similar issues with their Clip Zips?
    I was until I Rockbox'd it, spent the whole day tweaking Rockbox and now its perfect, theres a Resume Playback option on the Rockbox menu.

Actually I have a major Rockbox problem, when I plug the Zip into any pc while running Rockbox, the pc detects a USB device but then tries and fails to install drivers so I cant transfer files because it doesn't show up as a removable disk, then when I unplug it from USB Rockbox freezes and I have to hold down the Left button to boot into the Sansa firmware and connect through that if I want to transfer files, not a killer problem but stll a pain in the ass as it means Rockbox crashes and freezes whenever I charge the player, any clue what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Actually I have a major Rockbox problem, when I plug the Zip into any pc while running Rockbox, the pc detects a USB device but then tries and fails to install drivers so I cant transfer files because it doesn't show up as a removable disk, then when I unplug it from USB Rockbox freezes and I have to hold down the Left button to boot into the Sansa firmware and connect through that if I want to transfer files, not a killer problem but stll a pain in the ass as it means Rockbox crashes and freezes whenever I charge the player, any clue what the problem is?

Most likely something conflicting.
    Probably AV or Firewall.
    What starts with your PC? Disable a few of them, or all, and turn them on one by one.
    Do you have Roxio? Any Backup Software? iTunes?

Dont think its anything like that, tried it on my work pc which is pretty barebones and it was the same result as my home laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sorry if I've glossed over the detail, Thargor, but you need to at least mention the OS (operating system) that you've had problems with.

I've been using my two Clips on XP Home, a basic VIA 600 chipset with an AMD Barton that's just under a decade old. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Also, think about posting or checking for any 'known issues' over at the:

SanDisk Forums: http://forums.sandisk.com/

..or for off the beaten track and Rockbox issues

anythingbutipod Forums: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/

Have you tried running USB Mode? A different cable?

Also, go to Control Panel and Device manager, Any devices you see with a yellow exclamation mark, uninstall them. (Right Click -> Uninstall).

You probably know how to do that, but for the benefit of anyone else that may have similar issues..

Whats Rockbox Mode?

Whats Rockbox Mode?

Sorry, Rockbox (USB) Mode MSC Under Under Settings-> General Settings -> System -> USB hide internal Drive.

LINK
    Rockbox has a dual-boot feature. To boot into the original firmware, press and hold the Left button while turning on the player.

If that doesn't work also try holding the power button for 30 seconds, allow it to reboot itself.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Sorry, Rockbox (USB) Mode MSC Under Settings-> General Settings -> System -> USB hide internal Drive.

Try USB mode.

LINK

Also try holding the power button for 30 seconds, allow it to reboot itself.
    Ah nice one that completely fixed it, turned USB hide internal Drive on, plugged it in and the SD card showed up and it installed the driver perfectly, then plugged it out, turned USB hide internal Drive off again, plugged it in again and the internal memory and the SD card popped up, no more freezing when it connects either, perfect solution thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

mine arrived what a great little machine for 22 yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Those having ongoing problems with USB this is a known problem with the current build of Rockbox and they are slowly tried to work out what the cause is.
    You can use the Sansa firmware to get stuff onto the player or get a sd card to use that with a card reader.

There are versions prior to whats on the site that USB did work at one point. You'll have to google for them tho.

Hmmm yeah, Allyalls suggestion up there has completely fixed it on my home laptop but I tried it there on my work pc, no difference, freezing and a crash if Rockbox tries to connect through USB, perfect if I boot into Sansa firmware, not a big deal anyway as long as theres a workaround but please update if you hear its been fixed.

Last night I took a piece of rubber that attaches to bike tubes out of my random bike parts box and clipped the Zip to the handlebars with it before going for a spin, works absolutely perfectly like someone had made a purpose built bike computer/radio/music player, can time the ride with the stopwatch aswell as my current bike computer wont display the speed and the stopwatch at the same time, wanted something like that for years.

...Annnd its back to not working, I uninstalled Rockbox and went back to Sansa stock FW, too much of a pain in the ass, Sansa fw is easier on the eye anyway, not holding it up to squint at the screen when you're out and about...

...Annnd its back to not working, I uninstalled Rockbox and went back to Sansa stock FW, too much of a pain in the ass, Sansa fw is easier on the eye anyway, not holding it up to squint at the screen when you're out and about...

Southpark?.. Aaaannd it's gone. :D

I think 3.11 is the firmware with USB support. I can't confirm it at the minute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ordered it monday of last week. Anyone else still waiting on their delivery?

Something gone wrong there if its the seller mentioned in the OP I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Can anyone confirm what the radio reception is like on either the clip+ or fuze+.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

got mine today unreal little device ...some sound

Advertisement