Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on same sex marriage in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

emo72 wrote: »
    so when we talk about marriage its nothing to do with religion? i thought it was only to do with the church? im totally confused. need to read up on this.
    A church wedding has two compenents - 'the union in the eyes of God' and the civil component.

A civil wedding is not recognised 'in the eyes of God'.

It's the civil component that's relevant - it's gives couples legal rights in respect of inheritance, next of kin status, financial/tax benefits etc.

A lot of these are not available without marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't know if any of you were listening to Matt Cooper on Today FM this evening, they were discussing this very topic. Anyway somebody sent a text in saying that legalising gay marriage would be an abomination and was totally sick.

It just pi$$ed me off hearing this comment, we've come a long way in the last 25 years, largely breaking free from the clutches of the Medieval Boys Club that is the Catholic Church. Its depressing to think there are still a sizeable minority of people with such backward, intolerant and unfounded views. Marriage is first and foremost, a legal institution. No church, no matter who they are or what their teachings, has a right to dictate on who can and cannot marry. The various Christian churches think they wrote the book on marriage and that they have some moral authority :rolleyes:

Talk about delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

1ZRed wrote: »
    Solid, scientific proof that having same sex parents does not damage the outcome of the child and only goes to reinforce the fact that having two loving parents will always be better than having one, regardless of both parents' gender.

The abstract from the report:

The abstract from the report:

Blog post on Autostraddle:
    http://www.autostraddle.com/actual-experts-tell-supreme-court-gays-are-great-parents-bigots-are-wrong-169513/

Full text of the official report in the official Journal of Pediatrics (peer reviewed scientific journal):
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/18/peds.2013-0377.full.pdf+html

I know people mean the best when they post something like this however it this sort of thing that causes prejudice IMO

It is not about gay parenting its parenting first and foremost the gay bit should be seen as a very minor secondary issue, people are raised by all sort of parents good and bad but first and foremost they are raised by parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Confusing or mixing chalk and cheese is fvcking stupid. Mixing up the argument or trying to bias one groups rights over another groups rights is also fvcking stupid.

Everyone has rights. Thats me included.

You do have the right to be wrong about things, granted. You certainly have the right to make really bad analogies. You'd be better off talking about cheese and a slightly different kind of cheese. Is the cheddar somehow cheapened by sharing the same plate as the brie and edam?

You don't have the right to have such wrongness enshrined in law. Get over it. Start by figuring out precisely why you're opposed to denying same sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples. We know it can't be evidence based, because all the evidence shows that the gender of parents doesn't make any significant difference to children, and you're not stupid, you wouldn't ignore evidence because that's what stupid people do. It can't be financial, because there more than likely aren't enough same sex couples to make a noticeable dent in tax revenue if they suddenly married tomorrow. Revenue would probably increase with all the money being spent on ceremonies here as opposed to another country that isn't so far behind on its civil rights.

The only options appear to be because YOU feel it's wrong, or you've been TOLD to feel that it's wrong. Do you have any other reasons? Because those two are an extremely poor basis for holding any position...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

grenache wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you were listening to Matt Cooper on Today FM this evening, they were discussing this very topic. Anyway somebody sent a text in saying that legalising gay marriage would be an abomination and was totally sick.

It just pi$$ed me off hearing this comment, we've come a long way in the last 25 years, largely breaking free from the clutches of the Medieval Boys Club that is the Catholic Church. Its depressing to think there are still a sizeable minority of people with such backward, intolerant and unfounded views. Marriage is first and foremost, a legal institution. No church, no matter who they are or what their teachings, has a right to dictate on who can and cannot marry. The various Christian churches think they wrote the book on marriage and that they have some moral authority :rolleyes:

Yeah i dont think they understand that there was marriage before religion and they dont own the rights to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    What are the fundamental reasons for this belief?

Just my opinion. I belueve that 'marriage' is between a man and a woman . Now it doesn't mean gay people shouldnt have rights. They should.

Just my opinion. I belueve that 'marriage' is between a man and a woman . Now it doesn't mean gay people shouldnt have rights. They should.
    Just different rights to straight people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

only some. not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

grenache wrote: »

Fair play to Matt this evening actually as the guy who was against it was making his point about it not being a real marriage because there was no possibility of a child Matt pointed out that this also gives marriages where it's impossible to have a child where there's fertility issues/age/they simply decide they don't want a child less value also. I don't listen to him much but he took the words out of my mouth.

If thats how you want to see my opinion thats fine.

On a related note,playying devils advocate, marriage is intrinsicallly linked to religion, most of which are not very tolerant, so why want a 'marriage' anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Sarky wrote: »
    You do have the right to be wrong about things, granted. You certainly have the right to make really bad analogies. You'd be better off talking about cheese and a slightly different kind of cheese. Is the cheddar somehow cheapened by sharing the same plate as the brie and edam?

You don't have the right to have such wrongness enshrined in law. Get over it. Start by figuring out precisely why you're opposed to denying same sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples. We know it can't be evidence based, because all the evidence shows that the gender of parents doesn't make any significant difference to children, and you're not stupid, you wouldn't ignore evidence because that's what stupid people do. It can't be financial, because there more than likely aren't enough same sex couples to make a noticeable dent in tax revenue if they suddenly married tomorrow. Revenue would probably increase with all the money being spent on ceremonies here as opposed to another country that isn't so far behind on its civil rights.

The only options appear to be because YOU feel it's wrong, or you've been TOLD to feel that it's wrong. Do you have any other reasons? Because those two are an extremely poor basis cor holding any position...

You're telling me I feel it's wrong. Thats not correct. Again you're telling me some story about marriage making peoples rights equal which again is not correct.

You may have strong feelings about the subject. So do I. And so what?

You've missed the part that describes marriage in your relationship. You've missed the point that says your relationship is different not unequal, different, to another relationship.

Different. Not unequal.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Fair play to Matt this evening actually as the guy who was against it was making his point about it not being a real marriage because there was no possibility of a child Matt pointed out that this also gives marriages where it's impossible to have a child where there's fertility issues/age/they simply decide they don't want a child less value also. I don't listen to him much but he took the words out of my mouth.

I have said that also I numerous occassions when some people have tried to make that argument and they still try to argue that its different, I think some people will just never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I read this in the voice of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation...

Define marriage for me, would you? People like diving into this topic without considering what exactly they're harping on about.

If thats how you want to see my opinion thats fine.

On a related note,playying devils advocate, marriage is intrinsicallly linked to religion, most of which are not very tolerant, so why want a 'marriage' anyway?
    Do you think all married heterosexuals are religious? It's the legal, not religious recognition that's sought.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

marriage is intrinsicallly linked to religion, most of which are not very tolerant, so why want a 'marriage' anyway?

Marriage was a legal contract before religion was ever a factor. There's no religion involved in civil marriage anyway.

I am totally in favour of same-sex marriage - why should the gender of my partner have any bearing on what rights to marry are granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't care if gay marriage becomes a reality - it's not even something I passionately support, I just... don't care, it makes no impact on me personally.
    Having said that, I'd 'like' it on Facebook but I'd never be arsed to actually go out and vote on it.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    i have a few gay friends and i think it would be great for them, but im not really to bothered about it.

I think those are really sh1tty attitudes to have.

No, it mightn't affect you personally - although I don't even buy that, seeing as politics of equality affect everybody - but there is a large demographic of people in this country being denied the rights that their heterosexual counterparts are afforded. Where's the solidarity? Would you have been arsed supporting the Civil Rights movement? I mean, you're not black after all.

Any individual bearing witness to injustice in our society has a civil obligation to address it, and all it takes for you to make a whole wealth of people really happy, is to get off your backside and cast a vote. One day, it might be your child/brother/friend being forced to live out there in the margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

You're telling me I feel it's wrong. Thats not correct. Again you're telling me some story about marriage making peoples rights equal which again is not correct.

You've missed the part that describes marriage in your relationship. You've missed the point that says your relationship is different not unequal, different, to another relationship.

Different. Not unequal.

So would you support gay people having the right to participate in something that was exactly the same as marriage, with all rights etc that go along with it, but called something else?

Is it just the calling it marriage part that you disagree with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I told you nothing. If you have a reason, an actual reason, beyond "it's my opinion", or "according to [insert authority figure/book here]..." then by all means let's hear it.

Strong feelings are also a poor basis for taking a position. I'm basing mine on the assumption that everyone's equal. Everyone being equal, they deserve the same rights in the eyes of the law. Gay couples don't get the same rights as straight couples in this country. Therefore they are being treated unequally, and this should be changed.

You don't seem to be basing your position on anything solid at all. I could be wrong, and I'm happy for you to show that I am, but so far, nothing.

Different. Not unequal.

Not having the same entitlements under law is both different and unequal. Nobody's suggesting that any religion redefine whatever they consider marriage to be. Only the legal one. Catholic priests don't have to, and will never have to marry gay couples. The same way they don't have to marry Muslim or Hindu or Protestant or humanist couples. Those couples are still married in the eyes of the law, regardless of what any Catholic wants to think. Giving same-sex couples the same rights will change absolutely nothing for people who want to think they're not married.

Your 'different, not unequal' line rang hollow for the organisations that used it as an excuse to marginalise people in the eyes of the law. It rings equally hollow for you.

I read this in the voice of Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation...

Define marriage for me, would you? People like diving into this topic without considering what exactly they're harping on about.

* 1the formal union of a man and a woman, typically as recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife
    from the oxford dictionary. I have no objections to gay people having full legal rights. But i do not agree with gay marriage in a traditional sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

mariaalice wrote: »
    I know people mean the best when they post something like this however it this sort of thing that causes prejudice IMO

It is not about gay parenting its parenting first and foremost the gay bit should be seen as a very minor secondary issue, people are raised by all sort of parents good and bad but first and foremost they are raised by parents.

Exactly. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they'll be a bad parent just as much as someone who is straight might not automatically make them a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm in favour of Gay marriage. However, I don't like the idea of minority rights being decided upon by the majority. Tyranny of the masses and all that. Ireland's still a lot more backward than we'd like to believe.

* 1the formal union of a man and a woman, typically as recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife
    from the oxford dictionary. I have no objections to gay people having full legal rights. But i do not agree with gay marriage in a traditional sense.
    Well if it's in a dictionary ........ :rolleyes:

The meaning of words change over time as language progresses. If gays were allowed to marry the definition of marriage would change in newer additions.

There was a time when gay simply meant happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

ffs it's marriage equality.
    It's not 'Gay' marriage or lesbian marriage or bisexual marriage, it's just civil legal marriage.
    Totally utterly separate from any religious sacrament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

After reading that I'm now completely sure that what you want is indeed mostly window dressing.

How so? There are over 160 differences which make civil partnerships inferior. How is that window dressing exactly?

I'm ranked below you currently in this country, you have every available door open to you, I do not. How is me seeking to be treated and seen the same as you to be window dressing either?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

The meaning of words change over time as language progresses. If gays were allowed to marry the definition of marriage would change in newer additions.

So you want to force people to buy new dictionaries?

There was a time when gay simply meant happy.

i was asked to define marriage so i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Are we to have the Oxford Dictionary tell us what is or is not marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I think those are really sh1tty attitudes to have.

No, it mightn't affect you personally - although I don't even buy that, seeing as politics of equality affect everybody - but there is a large demographic of people in this country being denied the rights that their heterosexual counterparts are afforded. Where's the solidarity? Would you have been arsed supporting the Civil Rights movement? I mean, you're not black after all.

Any individual bearing witness to injustice in our society has a civil obligation to address it, and all it takes for you to make a whole wealth of people really happy, is to get off your backside and cast a vote. One day, it might be your child/brother/friend being forced to live out there in the margins.

I know where those other posters are coming from in that I also couldn't give a flying feck who marries who so long as they are two consenting adults. I genuinely have no interest whatsoever in who someone else wants to marry, how the hell is it even my business? Besides, there are way too many other problems in the world- how the hell is two people who love each other wanting to get married a bad thing? What a bizzare view of the world.

On the other hand I see where nervous_twitch is coming from in that if we are totally apathetic towards it, things will never change. Put simply, I know that I'll have to stand up and vote in favour of same sex marriage, and speak out in support of those who for so long have felt marginalised and forgotten. Then hopefully things will change and I can happily go back to my state of blissful apathy :p

i was asked to define marriage so i did.
    Asked for your definition of marriage, not the Oxford dictionary definition.

• Advertisement

that has probably been like that for the last 100 years, times change so do traditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement