Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on same sex marriage in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

krudler wrote: »
    It's a Louis CK joke :pac:

I don't even know who that is lol. :eek: :(

I used to be with it.... I guess not anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Wattle wrote: »
    Maybe so but isn't that giving in to the bullies? The more you normalise these things the more it will be accepted in society in general.

I support marriage equality, I was just making a point that some people need to realise that life for a child with gay parents can be more difficult than with straight parents and it needs to be dealt with. I think its wrong to say being brought up by gay parents doesn't do any harm because it clearly does, but the harm is the fault of society and has nothing to do with the sexuality of the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I've never understood why ignorant people feel they can dictate to people on how people should live their lives or whom you live your life with.

What harm is anyone doing by being happy with the person they love the most?

As long as someone doesn't do me or my family any harm - as far as I'm concerned they can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My sister is gay and is marrying her partner of 7 years next year. As her partner is dutch and the law here doesn't allow it, the wedding will be taking place over there.

Because of this, I will be going over for the wedding a few days early to... umm... visit museums and stuff. Woo, gay marriage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Civil marriage doesn't cut it. For a start they are not equal to convential marriage and why would I want a difference title for no good reason other than people aren't used to something new, even though the meaning of marriage has been changed repeatedly over time to factor in divorce and to disband the notion that women could be sold off for livestock.

I don't want "gay marriage" either, I'd simply want "marriage", because orientation really doesn't even come into it if you want to marry somebody anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

My own personal opinion is that marriage is a waste of time for anyone. Does that mean I have the right to force my beliefs down everyone's throats? Nah.

GarIT wrote: »
    I support marriage equality, I was just making a point that some people need to realise that life for a child with gay parents can be more difficult than with straight parents and it needs to be dealt with. I think its wrong to say being brought up by gay parents doesn't do any harm because it clearly does, but the harm is the fault of society and has nothing to do with the sexuality of the parents.

This is a non issue. By allowing more and more gay people to have children then that becomes a normal sight and so won't be an issue.

Take some responsibility yourself as well and teach your kid not to give them a hard time, that's your responsibility as you are part of society and thus can influence it's outcome instead of sitting back and blaming it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

1ZRed wrote: »
    I never paid much heed to these gay orientated issues before but this is something I actually take more and more interest in and I want. Then we're all sorted and I'm not a second class citizen with less rights than the rest of the country. Simple enough.

Tell me again how celebrating a different relationship is effecting your rights. Tell me how comparing chalk with cheese is relevant to rights for all the players in this game. More importantly tell me how mashing chalk and cheese together is a good idea.

You make strange points with regard to marriage. I don't think you and me are going to see eye to eye. Can I ask why. What is marriage to you? This same sex marriage campaign ,to me, has little to do with rights and alot to do with appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is being looked at the wrong way its not gay marriage as such, it is just marriage which ever one is entitled to do, it should be looked upon as marriage and only marriage not as a gay marriage, it should not be a question of are the couple getting married of the same sex or of a different sex it should be a non issue for the gay and straight people.

I also do not believe that gay people should come out as gay as that is marking them self as different after all heterosexual people do not have to announce their sexuality, if you are gay well you should just be gay it should be seen as a non event and that would clear away a lot of the prejudice against gay people. People are human beings first before they are anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This same sex marriage campaign ,to me, has little to do with rights and alot to do with appearance.

Perhaps you could look a little deeper then. It is all about rights. I want my gay friends to enjoy the same entitlements I do, because denying them such is f*cking stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd like to see gay marriage brought in for the simple reason that it would seriously rock the foundations of the church, and loosen the grip it has on the foundations of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i have a few gay friends and i think it would be great for them, but im not really to bothered about it, personally find it to be a non issue. How ever im not a religious person and i have no intention of ever getting married but thats a choice they dont/didnt have.

Anyway the point i was getting to is that isnt a religion some thing you choose to a part of and when you choose to be a part of a religion you choose to live by its beliefs system and what ever creeds are associated with that religion, This is a big gaping hole in the argument for gay marriage to be recognized in the eye's of the church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Tell me again how celebrating a different relationship is effecting your rights. Tell me how comparing chalk with cheese is relevant to rights for all the players in this game. More importantly tell me how mashing chalk and cheese together is a good idea.

Or stones and sponges. Or oysters and snails. Mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Sonics2k wrote: »
    My mother is gay, and yes I was raised by two women.

I lived an absolutely normal life, quite the same as my cousin who was raised by his male and female parent.s

The "worry" of children being raised by gay couples is honestly, plain silly and has nothing to back it up.

As a reference, people once said that whites and blacks in the US shouldn't raise children, nor should Catholics and Protestants. Funnily enough, those kids end up just as normal/messed up as those raised by straight parents.

Religion and race has nothing to do with it. This is about two gay people raising a child which is entirely different as to what you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm against gay marriage. That of course makes me a big fat racist bigot.

Well on the plus side you can always lose weight!

You make strange points with regard to marriage. I don't think you and me are going to see eye to eye. Can I ask why. What is marriage to you? This same sex marriage campaign ,to me, has little to do with rights and alot to do with appearance.
    How is it a different relationship? Just that it's someone of my own sex? One little insignificant difference?

It does affect me as in over 160 ways civil partnerships are inferior, one being lack of protection for children if I was to have one with a man, as only the biological father would have a legal tie to them, not me. If he were to die I'd have no legal tie to them. Another of many would be financial protection which is not equal.
    What is marriage to you? This same sex marriage campaign ,to me, has little to do with rights and alot to do with appearance.
    I don't think you understand what this is about at all honestly. It has everything to do with rights and being seen as equal.

Marriage to me is two people in love who marry. Simple as, no gender mentioned at all.

I don't get why marriage seems to be a heterosexual privilege instead of a right for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

mariaalice wrote: »
    I also do not believe that gay people should come out as gay as that is marking them self as different after all heterosexual people do not have to announce their sexuality, if you are gay well you should just be gay it should be seen as a non event and that would clear away a lot of the prejudice against gay people. People are human beings first before they are anything else.
    Gay people come out because they will the subject of endless speculation if they don't, will put up with family and friends trying to set them up, and unfortunately in some circumstances, to prepare family and friends for the reality of them being in a same-sex relationship.

Some people are extremely homophobic, and view being gay as a perversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Religion and race has nothing to do with it. This is about two gay people raising a child which is entirely different as to what you've mentioned.

Except the fact I was -raised- by a gay couple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I believe that gay people should have full tax/inheritance rights etc under a civil partnership. However a 'marriage' i believe should be between a man and a woman. Just my point of view, and i am in a minority on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Except the fact I was -raised- by a gay couple?
    The biggest problem you will have is getting people to accept that you had a happy childhood, a healthy relationship with your parents, and are a normal well adjusted person.

Or people will just assume that you 'caught the ghey'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

so when we talk about marriage its nothing to do with religion? i thought it was only to do with the church? im totally confused. need to read up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

However a 'marriage' i believe should be between a man and a woman.

What are the fundamental reasons for this belief?

Solid, scientific proof that having same sex parents does not damage the outcome of the child and only goes to reinforce the fact that having two loving parents will always be better than having one, regardless of both parents' gender.

The abstract from the report:
    the latest entity to make its feelings on the subject of same-sex marriage known to the supreme court is the American Academy of Pediatrics. And their message? That marriage equality (and the ability for gay families to become adoptive and foster homes) is in the best interests of children.
    The abstract from the report:
    Extensive data available from more than 30 years of research reveal that children raised by gay and lesbian parents have demonstrated resilience with regard to social, psychological, and sexual health despite economic and legal disparities and social stigma. Many studies have demonstrated that children's well-being is affected much more by their relationships with their parents, their parents' sense of competence and security, and the presence of social and economic support for the family than by the gender or the sexual orientation of their parents. Lack of opportunity for same-gender couples to marry adds to families’ stress, which affects the health and welfare of all household members. Because marriage strengthens families and, in so doing, benefits children’s development, children should not be deprived of the opportunity for their parents to be married. Paths to parenthood that include assisted reproductive techniques, adoption, and foster parenting should focus on competency of the parents rather than their sexual orientation.

Blog post on Autostraddle:
    http://www.autostraddle.com/actual-experts-tell-supreme-court-gays-are-great-parents-bigots-are-wrong-169513/

Full text of the official report in the official Journal of Pediatrics (peer reviewed scientific journal):
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/18/peds.2013-0377.full.pdf+html

Sarky wrote: »
    Perhaps you could look a little deeper then. It is all about rights. I want my gay friends to enjoy the same entitlements I do, because denying them such is f*cking stupid.

Confusing or mixing chalk and cheese is fvcking stupid. Mixing up the argument or trying to bias one groups rights over another groups rights is also fvcking stupid.

Everyone has rights. Thats me included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sonics2k has always appeared to be a pretty stand-up guy as far as I've seen. But no, he couldn't possibly have had a decent childhood and a supportive loving family, he's lying or deluded or mistaken or...

Actually, I can't even keep that up for the sake of bad satire. All the evidence points to same-sex couples being just as good at raising kids as any other couple. You can disagree as vehemently and self-righteously as you like, but it won't make you right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Confusing or mixing chalk and cheese is fvcking stupid. Mixing up the argument or trying to bias one groups rights over another groups rights is also fvcking stupid.

what right are you losing?

1ZRed wrote: »
    How is it a different relationship? Just that it's someone of my own sex? One little insignificant difference?

It does affect me as in over 160 ways civil partnerships are inferior, one being lack of protection for children if I was to have one with a man, as only the biological father would have a legal tie to them, not me. If he were to die I'd have no legal tie to them. Another of many would be financial protection which is not equal.

I don't think you understand what this is about at all honestly. It has everything to do with rights and being seen as equal.

Marriage to me is two people in love who marry. Simple as, no gender mentioned at all.

I don't get why marriage seems to be a heterosexual privilege instead of a right for everyone.

After reading that I'm now completely sure that what you want is indeed mostly window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

emo72 wrote: »
    so when we talk about marriage its nothing to do with religion? i thought it was only to do with the church? im totally confused. need to read up on this.
    It would be a civil marriage not a religious one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

How will gay marriage affect your rights?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement