Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on same sex marriage in Ireland

Options
  • 15-04-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

With the recent news on same sex marriage in Ireland, im very interested to see peoples opinions on the subject. Myself I am gay and I'm in a relationship for the last 2 and a half years. I would like to get married to my partner one day for security aswel as for love. Im just interested in other peoples opinions gay and straight to see if a referendum were to come up would the Irish be for or against gay marriage.

Are you for or against same sex marriage? 578 votes

For
    0% 0 votes
    Against
    88% 512 votes
    Undecided
    11% 66 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't care if gay marriage becomes a reality - it's not even something I passionately support, I just... don't care, it makes no impact on me personally.

There are people who are not homophobic, have no problem with civil partnership, but who feel marriage is solely a union between men and women - civil partnership comprises all the legal and financial security offered by marriage anyway.
    I don't agree marriage should solely be for a man and a woman, because that has its roots in religion, and plenty of marriages now aren't religious. But in fairness to people who hold that view, when they're not homophobic and not opposed to civil partnership, they're not holding the "Marriage for man and woman only" view just to be bigots. They can get viewed that way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Dont actually care, if they want it let them have it, its not damaging the country.

Bigger fish to fry in ireland than debating on this, if it makes them happy let them have it.

I know if i was gay id like to get married if in a loving relationship, so let them have their day, or at least the option to get married as straight people have.

Enda and co love distracting us with debates on things like this while our economy goes down the jacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Support it 100 per cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't care if gay marriage becomes a reality - it's not even something I passionately support, I just... don't care, it makes no impact on me personally.

There are people who are not homophobic, have no problem with civil partnership, but who feel marriage is solely a union between men and women - civil partnership comprises all the legal and financial security offered by marriage anyway.
    I don't agree marriage should solely be for a man and a woman, because that has its roots in religion, and plenty of marriages now aren't religious. But in fairness to people who hold that view, when they're not homophobic and not opposed to civil partnership, they're not holding the "Marriage for man and woman only" view just to be bigots. They can get viewed that way though.

I think most people would be like yourself it wouldnt effect them so they dont care if it does become legal, I think religious people must remember that this is not a religious issue and that it wont be happening in a church any time soon. I have no problems with peoples religious beliefs but they cant stop gay marriage because a book says it cant happen. Civil partnership is fine but it cant compare to marriage rights wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

civil partnership comprises all the legal and financial security offered by marriage anyway.

No it doesn't. There are over 160 differences between civil marriage and civil partnership as it stands. Some of those differences I don't understand because they're pretty technical, but some are important, like the ability to sell the shared (as opposed to "family") home in the event of abandonment is very difficult for civil partners compared to a married couple. If civil partnership and civil marriage offered the same protection then there wouldn't be so much campaigning. It's not an argument over a word, there are actual real differences between them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am all for it and feel it is overdue.

I haven't heard an argument against it that wasn't based in some way on religion and the teachings of the church in Ireland, and I am not going to take life lessons, moral pointers or lectures in what is right and wrong from the church in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Yeah but both you and i know that won't wash here. If you're against it, irrespective of the reasons why you'll be a catholic/other religious biggot etc etc

As with you, Im not bothered too much either way tbh. I've not paid a huge deal of attention to either side.

I do welcome the changes in law and the introduction of civil partnership laws and recognition though and that's as far as I've stretched my thinking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think its a disgrace that a country could get away with discrimination against any of its citizens. Equal status for all marriages is something this country needs ASAP.

IMO and mention of gender in any part of the constitution should be removed and just replaced with person.

Vojera wrote: »
    No it doesn't. There are over 160 differences between civil marriage and civil partnership as it stands. Some of those differences I don't understand because they're pretty technical, but some are important, like the ability to sell the shared (as opposed to "family") home in the event of abandonment is very difficult for civil partners compared to a married couple. If civil partnership and civil marriage offered the same protection then there wouldn't be so much campaigning. It's not an argument over a word, there are actual real differences between them.

Yes a huge amount of difference, it really isnt about the word "marriage" well not for me anyway. it is a rights issue. To have the same rights as a straight married couple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Thread needs a referendum poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Got no problem with it. I don't see why religious folk can't just get lost and worry about themselves.

Having said that, I'd 'like' it on Facebook but I'd never be arsed to actually go out and vote on it.

awec wrote: »
    I am all for it and feel it is overdue.

I haven't heard an argument against it that wasn't based in some way on religion and the teachings of the church in Ireland, and I am not going to take life lessons, moral pointers or lectures in what is right and wrong from the church in this country.

Im the same any argument against it have all been religion based which fare enough thats there beliefs and I dont have a problem with, the only problem I have is when these people want non religious people to live by there rules. This is a civil matter and religion really has no place in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm all for it. There is no legitimate reason to prevent it although I'd suspect the eventual referendum campaign will be rather nasty unfortunately....
    GarIT wrote: »
    I think its a disgrace that a country could get away with discrimination against any of its citizens. Equal status for all marriages is something this country needs ASAP.

To give credit to our people.(Not our government) We have becoming extremely progressive for a country that was historically conservatively even into recent years. It's a matter of time for it to be allowed at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've yet to hear a solid argument against it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheWraith

Completely support it. I've never heard a rational argument against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Who honestly thinks they have the right to dictate to others who they do and don't marry? As long as both persons consent to the union and are of sound mind, then no court, country or person would be allowed stop them, regardless of their genitalia!

Who someone else marries is none of my concern and it in no way affects me or anyone only those in the union. Being of a particular sexuality does not give you anymore rights than anyone else. We are all equal and we all deserve equal rights.

I'd say the vast majority do not care as they are not affected, but there will always be those against it, but I have yet to hear a legitimate reason why it should not be allowed. They usually quote an old book or their own bias, never a good reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Utterly against as it redefines the social institute of marriage beyond recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Manach wrote: »
    Utterly against as it redefines the social institute of marriage beyond recognition.

Heterosexuals have destroyed the "sanctity" of marriage single handedly. It is time to redefine the word!

How so?

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Heterosexuals have destroyed the "sanctity" of marriage single handedly. It is time to redefine the word!

Bingo, straight people have been fcuking up the insitution of marriage for YEARS.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

WTF even is the "social institute of marriage" ?

How exactly?

Petey89 wrote: »
    How exactly?

Gays and their..rights and equal status and..stuff, bahhh, down with that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I support it 100% the LGBT crowd have as much right to a life of misery and no sex as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Corkfeen wrote: »
    To give credit to our people.(Not our government) We have becoming extremely progressive for a country that was historically conservatively even into recent years. It's a matter of time for it to be allowed at this point.

I have to agree, the majority of the general public are a lot more advanced than the laws in the country. The laws on the otherhand are still years behind, we need to remove any mention of gender in marriage, statutory rape, and family law as well as a few other things.

On the other hand I do think it is the right of religious institutions to discriminate against groups of people to a certain extent. It would be wrong to try to force chruchs to marry gay couples which some people seem to want. I don't understand religious gays, the 'god' in every major religion says they deserve to be killed but you believe in this god guy anyway :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Same sex couples deserve as many rights as any other. Nobody's forcing any church to recognise it, nobody forcing any priest to marry gay people. They can continue denying happiness to any of their members as they see fit.

But having same-sex marriage recognised by the state is way, way overdue. Doesn't need a church, doesn't need a priest, affords a couple exactly the same legal rights. People who aren't Catholic don't deserve to be sidelined just because the church wants it. Gay Catholics can decide if they want to be gay married or Catholic. Church only loses gays who they'd never allow to marry anyway. Everybody wins. It's f*cking bizarre that anyone would be against that. It is, if you will permit the original intention of the word, very queer of them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If you dont support Gay people having the same rights as straight people then you are a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

I started a thread on this recently, OP, and it was locked in minutes, this has been done to death already ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Before I say this I'm not by any means religious.

I don't mind civil partnership and I respect gay people. However gay marriage is something that should be looked into from a kid's point of view. I don't think the adopted child would appreciate living with two men as their father and 2 women as their mother. It just doesn't sound right in my opinion but if thats the way our generation wants to go then it isn't a big deal to fight over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement