Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on same sex marriage in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

GarIT wrote: »
    I have to agree, the majority of the general public are a lot more advanced than the laws in the country. The laws on the otherhand are still years behind, we need to remove any mention of gender in marriage, statutory rape, and family law as well as a few other things.

On the other hand I do think it is the right of religious institutions to discriminate against groups of people to a certain extent. It would be wrong to try to force chruchs to marry gay couples which some people seem to want. I don't understand religious gays, the 'god' in every major religion says they deserve to be killed but you believe in this god guy anyway :/

I do agree asle I think the people of Ireland have come along way and the laws need to catch up. As for religion i am no way religious but i do respect peoples beliefs as long as they dont try and force me to live by there rules they have to understand this is a civil issue and no gay marriage can be forced upon there church.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Before I say this I'm not by any means religious.

I don't mind civil partnership and I respect gay people. However gay marriage is something that should be looked into from a kid's point of view. I don't think the adopted child would appreciate living with two men as their father and 2 women as their mother. It just doesn't sound right in my opinion but if thats the way our generation wants to go then it isn't a big deal to fight over.

Aaaand here we go, why, why, does gay marriage always get lumped in with gay adoption? they're two COMPLETELY different issues. Who says all gay couples even want kids? Not all straight married couples do either. And it's been shown time and time again that there are several people right here on boards who have same sex parents who are perfectly well rounded individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I don't mind civil partnership and I respect gay people. However gay marriage is something that should be looked into from a kid's point of view. I don't think the adopted child would appreciate living with two men as their father and 2 women as their mother. It just doesn't sound right in my opinion but if thats the way our generation wants to go then it isn't a big deal to fight over.

Can gay people not provide love and food to children? Is this a deficit on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think you've got gay marriage wrong :P

But seriously, there's no evidence gay marriage is detrimental to the upbringing of a child (assuming, just like hetro couples, that the parents aren't morons).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Gay marriage is clearly bad for children and for 1 reason only, bullying. If society could educate their children to accept differences there wouldn't be a problem. Gay marriage isn't wrong in any way but people are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

galwayrush wrote: »
    Live and let live.

Actually, it was Live and Let Die...

Ha! Great episode, so what are we all talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Petey89 wrote: »
    With the recent news on same sex marriage in Ireland, im very interested to see peoples opinions on the subject. Myself I am gay and I'm in a relationship for the last 2 and a half years. I would like to get married to my partner one day for security aswel as for love. Im just interested in other peoples opinions gay and straight to see if a referendum were to come up would the Irish be for or against gay marriage.

Petey the one thing you forget is that opinions here will only reflect a tiny, tiny proportion of the Irish voting population. It should already be evident that the overwhelming majority here are in favor of gay marriage, but unfortunately that is no reflection of the actual reality of the Irish voting population.

I would have to disagree with you here, I dont think those two issues go together, like i said im gay i would like to be married some day but i dont want to have children thats just not for me, As for gay parents im sure if a child does not want to live with 2 dads or 2 mums it will not be forced to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Manach wrote: »
    Utterly against as it redefines the social institute of marriage beyond recognition.

2 people who love each other and making vows to each other? What's changed?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Petey the one thing you forget is that opinions here will only reflect a tiny, tiny proportion of the Irish voting population. It should already be evident that the overwhelming majority here are in favor of gay marriage, but unfortunately that is no reflection of the actual reality of the Irish voting population.

Oh i know, i wasnt expecting to have all of Ireland on here, but I just like to see peoples opinions on it weither it be a small percentage or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The problem with the voting population is that conservative people opposed to gay marriage are more likely to vote than those who are indifferent or have no problem with it, unless it will affect them personally.

I've no problem with it, each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find it funny that states ban marriage equality in the us do so as its a threat to the institution of marriage. Generally are the ones that have the highest divorce rates and only takes a few weeks to get a divorce compared to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Like other have suggested, I think the poll requires a 'Couldn't Care Less' option,

I'm fully supportive of the civil partnership and equality aspect though. I've no personal experience from friends or family as to the importance of marriage, they just get on with their lives together

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I support gay marriages, because every person should have the right to be happy, no matter of his or her sexual orientation or preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Petey89 wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with you here, I dont think those two issues go together, like i said im gay i would like to be married some day but i dont want to have children thats just not for me, As for gay parents im sure if a child does not want to live with 2 dads or 2 mums it will not be forced to do so.

I've no problem with you getting married but I think kids should be left out of it in my opinion.

I've no problem with you getting married but I think kids should be left out of it in my opinion.

Any particular reasoning?

Well, stop bringing them into the argument, then. It's up to the poster whether he wants kids or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I'm against gay marriage. That of course makes me a big fat racist bigot. I'll have to live with that description because thats the way people are. Intolerant, self serving little buggers.

The only consolation I have is being right, and not right on. Marriage is a different relationship. Some people can't understand that. Life goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

But nobody ever mentions children except for those looking for an excuse other than a book said so.

The children side of things is a completely different issue
    I'm against gay marriage. That of course makes me a big fat racist bigot. I'll have to live with that description because thats the way people are. Intolerant, self serving little buggers.

The only consolation I have is being right, and not right on. Marriage is a different relationship. Some people can't understand that. Life goes on.

So you complain that people are intolerant about being intolerant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You've won us over with that logic.

• Advertisement

Uh-huh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but, uh, you're not even right. I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

It makes you a bigot. Not a racist. Pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My mother is gay, and yes I was raised by two women.

I lived an absolutely normal life, quite the same as my cousin who was raised by his male and female parent.s

The "worry" of children being raised by gay couples is honestly, plain silly and has nothing to back it up.

As a reference, people once said that whites and blacks in the US shouldn't raise children, nor should Catholics and Protestants. Funnily enough, those kids end up just as normal/messed up as those raised by straight parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

"It doesn’t have any effect on your life. What do you care? People try to talk about it like it’s a social issue. Like when you see someone stand up on a talk show and say “How am I supposed to explain to my child that two men are getting married? I dunno, it’s your sh*tty kid, you fúcking tell them. Why is that anyone else’s problem? Two guys are in love but they can’t get married because you don’t want to talk to your ugly child for fúcking five minutes?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You've won us over with that logic.

I think it was a well made point. It is my strong opinion that flies can fly because they have wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

GarIT wrote: »
    Gay marriage is clearly bad for children and for 1 reason only, bullying. If society could educate their children to accept differences there wouldn't be a problem. Gay marriage isn't wrong in any way but people are.

Maybe so but isn't that giving in to the bullies? The more you normalise these things the more it will be accepted in society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    "It doesn’t have any effect on your life. What do you care? People try to talk about it like it’s a social issue. Like when you see someone stand up on a talk show and say “How am I supposed to explain to my child that two men are getting married? I dunno, it’s your sh*tty kid, you fúcking tell them. Why is that anyone else’s problem? Two guys are in love but they can’t get married because you don’t want to talk to your ugly child for fúcking five minutes?"

Uhm, why is the child ****ty and ugly? What has the child done wrong exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I never paid much heed to these gay orientated issues before but this is something I actually take more and more interest in and I want. Then we're all sorted and I'm not a second class citizen with less rights than the rest of the country. Simple enough.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    Uhm, why is the child ****ty and ugly? What has the child done wrong exactly?

It's a Louis CK joke :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement