Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking:Large explosion at public event in Boston***Mod warning in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Police scanner says they are carrying out a controlled explosion shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Some nasty post explosion pics on twitter. One was posted from a guy in an office above and adjacent to the first explosion. He reckons there are a dozen dead from the first one.
    Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

That's a bit mad isn't it. I hope the death toll doesn't get bigger than it already is.

And for those people saying "aaaahhhh it was North Korea derp dorp blah blah".... Well done, you outstanding detective, you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

freaky I just watched the secret audio tapes of 9/11 on 4od this morning :eek:

what are the chances :\

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

Did I hear one report say that ball bearings were found at the scene?
    Yeah, heard that too. Bit of a relief considering shrapnel is almost always used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm hearing CNN reported pipe bombs, fox reported 3 deaths, and NBC have said the origin of the blasts was two backpacks on the sidewalk leaning against the building.

I've said it before and i'll say it again:

News agencies are far too quick to try get the scoop. Often it amplifies fear and confusion for the public due to contradictory information coming out of multiple sources across all the channels.

It's highly rare that the reporting in the initial hours after an incident bares much resemblance to the final report of what has occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Yes and looking like a done deal that it was bombs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

3rd explosion was controlled carried out by Police. Source: listening to feed

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6254/web

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

yes sky news just said it!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yeah, heard that as well, been treated as deliberate act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

ted1 wrote: »
    These happened in Boston.

Thanks for that Captain Obvious.

Like I said, NY is a city which has suffered attacks before so I'm sure they'd much rather take safety precautions on the off chance that the attacks in Boston may be part of a larger attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was thinking that with a bomb that size you would expect nails or ball bearings and the absence of them may have implied an accident rather than a bomb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Joe Hart wrote: »
    I'm not here to stir but I can't abide hypocrisy from people.

I'm a humanist and I don't distinguish between strangers.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/303996/news/world/bombs-kill-23-across-iraq-before-local-poll

How many of you cared or even knew about this yesterday? 23 dead, a day of absolute hell and carnage. But these were brown people and they are not like us.

Sorry to people if you personally knew someone at the Marathon but the rest of you sicken me.

Only seen the mod warning now...My last post.

Dont think head & shoulders will have you after this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/303996/news/world/bombs-kill-23-across-iraq-before-local-poll

How many of you cared or even knew about this yesterday? 23 dead, a day of absolute hell and carnage. But these were brown people and they are not like us.

Sorry to people if you personally knew someone at the Marathon but the rest of you sicken me.

Did you start a thread for this? Why not?

I know people in Boston, I don't know anyone in Iraq. Hence I'm more concerned about 1 than the other. Both are obviously awful events though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If these were in fact bombs then it is setting a new low for terrorism.
    No its not. 9/11 was pretty low, but even that wasn't the lowest.

Either way, attacks of this nature happen all over the world, too frequently. London Bus bombings should be recalled. And all the other bombings that have ocurred in the last decade or more in mediterranean Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Is it just me or did the smoke from that blast look very dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

We sicken you because we are hoping people are ok? Yeah, ok. You have a very warped view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

bombs in warzone = not odd

bombs in peacefull area not use to bombs = odd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

roryc wrote: »
    As for Al Queda etc, I would imagine they would go for something bigger. This sounds like an amateur job, someone with a grudge etc.

Al Queda's primary strength nowadays is local grass-root sympathisers turned terrorists. The days of intense training in Arab countries for members before an attack are gone, it leaves too much of a trail. Nowadays it's a recruiter, who may or may not be trained, and internet access. Organising large scale attacks like this is more difficult than it would've been pre-9/11.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Street sweep being made, place being shut down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

Just ignore Joe Hart FFS. Don't give him the attention he craves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

On the scanner they're asking for all off duty officers to come back in immediately and closing / searching JFK library for suspect devices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Reading reports of the death toll now being 12. Hope that's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Harrowing scenes. Thoughts with the victims and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

10 years ago yesterday that the leader of the Palestine Liberation Front was captured in Bagdad. some sort of revenge plot?

doubt it, wouldn't be a main target for them

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I've said it before and i'll say it again:

News agencies are far too quick to try get the scoop. Often it amplifies fear and confusion for the public due to contradictory information coming out of multiple sources across all the channels.

It's highly rare that the reporting in the initial hours after an incident bares much resemblance to the final report of what has occurred.

After the Oklahoma bombing, the media were reporting that the suspects were middle eastern in appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I just spent the whole day reading and experiencing the "images that shocked the world" thread...seeing this straight away after is a tad surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Shamozzle wrote: »
    Yeah, heard that too. Bit of a relief considering shrapnel is almost always used.

You do know what shrapnel is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Massive and pointless overreaction time!

To be fair to them, the last time a major city was bombed (NYC), the pentagon was hit and another plane hijacked and crashed in Pennsylvania...

My dad was a block away, having been half a block closer, given up on trying to get to the finish line to have a look, turned around and walked away. So glad he wasn't that bothered trying to have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Shamozzle wrote: »

WTF?????:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement