Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more SW communion/confirmation payments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

phasers wrote: »
    My communion dress was so awesome. My Mam wouldnt let me have an umbrella though, she said they were common :(

Good thing it did not rain.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Ranicand wrote: »
    Half the grant and instead of giving it to the family the child could nominate the money to a charity of their choice.

The charity is Ireland, the country is broke and needs all the charity it can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The robe they wear for confirmation in my area is like a Ku Klux Klan outfit.

A white hooded robe, on the left breast area there's an emblem consisting of a cross engulfed in flames with a dove swooping down on it. I always thought it was very weird, like did nobody cop the similarities when this thing was being designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

How much was it anyway? (Sorry if this was mentioned already).

Mary28 wrote: »
    How much was it anyway? (Sorry if this was mentioned already).
    paddy147 wrote: »
    Something like 110-120 euro I think.

That was the best answer I could find in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Well if children can not understand the economics of it they sure as hell won't understand the religious part of it.

Did you have a communion at 7/8 years old. God's honest truth, I had no idea what the hell they were on about, only that I could get that tasty bread stuff when I was in mass from then on!
    Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    So your argument is that in order to prevent a little girl from being upstaged at a communion, the government should provide? For serious?

When did I ever say the government should pay? Read ALL of my posts, I said I did not approve of that payment being used for that, and that it should be done in uniforms so that it was not a parade of what families had money and what didn't. Creating class-ism in 7/8 does no one any good.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Did you have a communion at 7/8 years old. God's honest truth, I had no idea what the hell they were on about, only that I could get that tasty bread stuff when I was in mass from then on!

Yes I did and I was only interested in the money I was given.

So you see it proves my point.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well this was founded as a Catholic state so I would vote for a compromise.

Half the grant and instead of giving it to the family the child could nominate the money to a charity of their choice.

This would instill the true meaning of Christianity and I am sure the little mites would be vary happy.:D:D

We weren't founded as a Catholic state.

We weren't founded as a Catholic state.

Maybe not in name but they ran everything.

I remember Ian Paisley saying the seat of Irish power was in Maynooth.

And by the way my post was not a serious one.

Yes I did and I was only interested in the money I was given.

So you see it proves my point.:D

I got £200 and a meal in my favourite hotel. It was a good day for me :D

Body and blood of Christ? All I was interested in was the bread with my soup and the ketchup with my chips! Religious ceremonies are a joke for the most part, but to dress children up and force parents to fork out a small fortune for the privilege, toss off! Ergo my argument if it is to be done, do it in uniforms.

I laugh at the attitude of the church that we should pay for their services, they should be fúcking grateful anyone graces their pews after the shít they put so many innocent people through!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

paddy147 wrote: »
    What happens to a person/family who has no money left at the end of each week to do it on the cheap??

God will provide

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Teach your kids life lessons if you can't afford you do with out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If schools want to participate they should bring the kids over during school time, in their uniform. Straight back to school then to reflect on the importance of having received 'the body of christ'. No fuss, no expense and no grants needed.

It would be interesting to see how many parents would be bothered then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

phasers wrote: »
    My communion dress was so awesome. My Mam wouldnt let me have an umbrella though, she said they were common :(

Dunnes Stores have frilly umbrellas for adults now, so you can finally prove her right/wrong. Did you have one of those drawstring purse things like a bog-roll holder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Well this was founded as a Catholic state so I would vote for a compromise.

This would instill the true meaning of Christianity and I am sure the little mites would be vary happy.:D:D

Fúck that, ehy should I be FORCED to pay tax so members of one religious group can nominate a charity to give to, no way.
    This is a religious ceremony, the state has zero role in funding it, bad enough we are paying the teachers to prepare the kids for this, that should be up to the church and outside school hours.

Gatling wrote: »
    Teach your kids life lessons if you can't afford you do with out

It does not have to cost much, it's parents who make it expensive, majority of people can afford to have holy communion, nothing wrong with using a dress belonging to someone else.

Fúck that, ehy should I be FORCED to pay tax so members of one religious group can nominate a charity to give to, no way.
    This is a religious ceremony, the state has zero role in funding it, bad enough we are paying the teachers to prepare the kids for this, that should be up to the church and outside school hours.

The two smiley faces at the end of my post does not give you the slightest clue my post was a joke?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I got £200 and a meal in my favourite hotel. It was a good day for me :D

Body and blood of Christ? All I was interested in was the bread with my soup and the ketchup with my chips! Religious ceremonies are a joke for the most part, but to dress children up and force parents to fork out a small fortune for the privilege, toss off! Ergo my argument if it is to be done, do it in uniforms.

I laugh at the attitude of the church that we should pay for their services, they should be fúcking grateful anyone graces their pews after the shít they put so many innocent people through!!!!

You had a favourite hotel at eight?

You had a favourite hotel at eight?

I had been there once before. It had a desert table! Table I tell you!

A pretty big desert.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

McDonald have milkshake's and apple pies

A pretty big desert.:D

Everything was tiny, but you could stack what you could on the plate(well as a child that was my objective anyway). It being my Communion, I got a slightly bigger plate than usual. It was just some small hotel carvery, but when you are 8 and not used to going out, how could it not be your favourite????

Gatling wrote: »
    McDonald have milkshake's and apple pies
    Back in my day *shakes walking stick* Mc Donalds was the fricken Ritz as far as I was concerned. Got a birthday there when I was seven off my dad. It was fricken burgers and chips and we loved it! We barely ever went, I saw it every Saturday from the car park as my parents exchanged myself and my sis, rarely went in though "it'll rot your teeth!!!":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hopefully now the government will look at all the tax breaks that religious organisations get.

All those payments for christenings that go through the books as "donations", etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My cousin is making her confirmation soon, my side of the family aren't Catholic so I'm a bit clueless. From reading this thread it seems I'm supposed to give her money which I was not aware of. Wtf - is that true? Why - is there a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    My cousin is making her confirmation soon, my side of the family aren't Catholic so I'm a bit clueless. From reading this thread it seems I'm supposed to give her money which I was not aware of. Wtf - is that true? Why - is there a reason?

Of course there is a reason. The reason we give what 20-50e in a card is because the child is making their confirmation;)

You don't have to give money if you don't want too.

It is nothing to do with religion.

Among Catholics Confirmation kind of marks starting your teen years.

Giving money is just kind of a custom to make the brat feel special.

If you don't give money your religious difference will go over her head and she will just think your stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I see, it just seems a bit strange if you're not used to it. I don't particularly want to give her money, I'm quite generous at her birthdays and Christmas and being the baby of the family she's very spoiled already. Also, money is quite tight at the moment.

I'd rather take her out for the day sometime instead or something like that. Will talk to my aunt about it and see. How much do people usually give out of interest, 20 - 50 as said above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It is nothing to do with religion.

Among Catholics Confirmation kind of marks starting your teen years.

Giving money is just kind of a custom to make the brat feel special.

If you don't give money your religious difference will go over her head and she will just think your stingy.

To be fair there is a lot of pressure to give money. Now if someone is really low on cash I wouldn't judge them personally. However, I remember a uncle of mine gave me an empty card, stating he hadn't time to get change and that he would sort me out later, never did.

Anyway my Mam took this as a personal insult as that particular was very well off. Two years later his son was being brought out to our house for his confirmation and I remember my Mam insisting that he get an empty card too.

Thankfully my Dad wouldn't have it, sasid he wasn't taking it out on the kid and I agree. However, my Mam didn't speak to that Uncle her brother for over a decade because of it.

OTT I agree but I think it says something about the pressure put on people to cough up at these occasions.

Advertisement