Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more SW communion/confirmation payments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Mick ah

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well in some cases (Credit Union and SVP case studies)...YES-starving and NO-none or hardly any heat leccy,schoolbooks...due to lack of money at the end of each week.

I call shenanigans on that one. I just can't believe for a second that there are people starving in this country.

As for the payment, good riddance. Whatever about TDs' expenses, breaking pay caps, bondholders etc. I don't agree with them either. But lets tackle on thing at a time.

Getting rid of that payment for use on religious ceremonies will go towards reducing the entitlement mentality of some people. Hopefully help readjust their expectations to a more realistic level. Why should I, or anyone else for that matter, pay for someone's unnecessary expenditure. Beggars belief that some people can support the payment on the grounds that TDs get too much (and we all know they do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

So lots of things are being scrapped......

Right so.

Wonder will,they scrap my property tax then ?

I mean afterall ...I dont need a property tax

now you're just being ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mick ah wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on that one. I just can't believe for a second that there are people starving in this country.

As for the payment, good riddance. Whatever about TDs' expenses, breaking pay caps, bondholders etc. I don't agree with them either. But lets tackle on thing at a time.

Getting rid of that payment for use on religious ceremonies will go towards reducing the entitlement mentality of some people. Hopefully help readjust their expectations to a more realistic level. Why should I, or anyone else for that matter, pay for someone's unnecessary expenditure. Beggars belief that some people can support the payment on the grounds that TDs get too much (and we all know they do)

Well believe it,as it is happening.

TDs,bondholders and expenses should be tackled 1st...show some balls on the part of the clowns running this country and show that you are in it aswell and prepared to take a financial hit too.

But the guttless shower of lieing morons in Leinster House wont ever do that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Plazaman wrote: »
    I think they reduced the amount given out which was the news back in December but they scrapping it altogether now.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0411/380810-religious-ceremonies-grants/

Eh no, it was a maximum of €112 for communion events during 2012 and it was abolished completely in the budget in December 2012.
    For some reason it was in all over the media this morning. Who knows how or why that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gatling wrote: »
    My nieces school had a meeting with parents where it was proposed a simple white gown worn over a school uniform be used for communions as most of them were complaining about the cost of dress's
    Guess what they all voted against the idea in favour of the expensive dresses

Of course they did but it shouldnt be decided by the parents, the church and or schools should simply say uniforms and thats that, then if they want a pretty dress or whatever for the after party they can but the ceremony should not cost anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Communion and Confirmations should be a Church organised event run independently of State Schools and the Church should dictate that normal, everyday clothes be worn to same.

A dreadful little tradition tbh.

I mean afterall ...I dont need a property tax

No, but the country does. At one stage 20% percent of the country was employed in the construction sector. That's totally collapsed, never to return. The country needs to find other sources of revenue. Either that or it needs to (even more) drastically reduce spending.

No, but the country does. At one stage 20% percent of the country was employed in the construction sector. That's totally collapsed, never to return. The country needs to find other sources of revenue. Either that or it needs to (even more) drastically reduce spending.

It's even simpler than that: we should have a property tax because it is an incredibly standard and fundamental tax that should have been brought in decades ago.

Well believe it,as it is happening.

Any sob stories to back that statement up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You'll hear a lot of them at the Galway soup kitchen........... http://www.twistsoupkitchen.com/

• Advertisement

I tend to believe what SVP and Credit Union says in their reports over any tripe the Enda Kenny and Mr Gilmore will come out with.

mikom wrote: »
    You'll hear a lot of them at the Galway soup kitchen........... http://www.twistsoupkitchen.com/

That man who opened that soup kitchen came back from nothing to help out others who have nothing.

I watched him being interviewed on TV3 a few months back.

Hes is one of the few decent souls in this country who is willing and prepared to help out anyone in times of need.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's even simpler than that: we should have a property tax because it is an incredibly standard and fundamental tax that should have been brought in decades ago.

While I don't agree with that statement. I do agree with the sentiment. I feel that they're going to take money off you one way or another, so just pay it.

People don't like paying tax. But they love the benefits that a functioning (and tax paying) society gives them. The amount of money one pays in tax is miniscule compared to the benefits that the nation as a whole and the individual receives. Hospitals, roads, education etc. Even if you never visit a hospital in your life, your life is enriched by the people around you being healthier.

That man who opened that soup kitchen came back from nothing to help out others who have nothing.

I watched him being interviewed on TV3 a few months back.

Hes is one of the few decent souls in this country who is willing and prepared to help out anyone in times of need.

Fair play to him, but one is hardly starving if they're getting a hot meal handed up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What happens to a person/family who has no money left at the end of each week to do it on the cheap??

Then they simply should not do it if they can not afford it.

If someone can not afford to engage in their hobbies then they should not engage in their hobbies.

A religious ceremony is not a requirement or a need or a right. It is essentially part of the hobby of the people concerned.

If you can not afford a new golf ball at the end of each week then do not play golf.

So when is it time to say we pay too much tax??

When do you stop and say feck it,Im not going to pay any more taxes to this country?

When do you stand up and say....I allready pay enough and thats it,Im not paying any more.

When do you stop accepting being taxed and taxed and taxed and taxed.

Honest question.

When do you stop and say feck it,Im not going to pay any more taxes to this country?

When do you stand up and say....I allready pay enough and thats it,Im not paying any more.

Honest question.

Hey, when you're willing to go to jail for your principles by all means stop paying tax.

Fair play to him, but one is hardly starving if they're getting a hot meal handed up to them.

Eh yes,that is the concept of a SOUP KITCHEN...to prevent people from staving.

Why do you think it was set up???

People were and are starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Honest question.

When do you think enough is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And add the fact you know at least 12 months in advance of the date ,
    Plenty of time to save a few quid every week ,
    People still have no problem buying the latest must have brand trainers and phones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

touts wrote: »
    We don't do it for Muslims, Jews, Buddists, Stonemasons, etc or any other religion.

Or the Blocklayers Baptist Church :P

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    When do you think enough is enough?

Last year was that moment for me.when Phil Hogan opened his gob on all these taxes on their way in.

I dont know how anyone can sit easy and take being taxed and taxed and taxed,over and over again.

Yet Mr Kenny and Mr Gilmore will hand over billions upon billions to bond holders and not even bat an eye lid.And hes still doing it..they are still getting their money.

Heres some interesting reading for you

We should have burnt the bondholders....says one of the IMFs own people.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0411/380836-too-much-austerity-in-bailout-imf-mission-chief/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Honest question.

What's any of that got to do with communion handouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why can't parents just have a huge birthday for the child instead of going along with this ridiculous tradition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

for those who are in need of a communion dress, I have noticed that marks and spencers and dunes stores in dublin are doing beautiful ones for roughly 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Honest question.

when the country is back on its feet. i hate that my taxes have increased and my income has reduced. but we're in a recession. thats what happens. if the country was in a massive boom and money was plentiful, i'd still disagree with the communion/confirmation grant.

are you going to start blaming the foreginers next? your arguments are all lifted straight off the joe duffy show.

Gatling wrote: »
    And add the fact you know at least 12 months in advance of the date ,
    Plenty of time to save a few quid every week ,
    People still have no problem buying the latest must have brand trainers and phones

And again you are painting every family/child in Ireland with the 1 brush.

when the country is back on its feet. i hate that my taxes have increased and my income has reduced. but we're in a recession. thats what happens. if the country was in a massive boom and money was plentiful, i'd still disagree with the communion/confirmation grant.

are you going to start blaming the foreginers next? your arguments are all lifted straight off the joe duffy show.

read the link above so.;)

Honest question.
    Eh yes,that is the concept of a SOUP KITCHEN...to prevent people from staving.

Why do you think it was set up???

People were and are starving.

To address your first point on being "taxed too much." You don't like it, leave, some other country can tax you instead. Or just don't pay your taxes, but then why should you be able to avail of services paid for by others?

And we obviously don't pay enough tax if there's still a huge hole in the countries budget. Don't start on bailouts and bond holders, there's not enough tax take to cover everything even before we get onto that. Either we pay more tax or we get less, far less, services. Simple.

Secondly, there's a difference between starving and not having eaten for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Its about time. No disrespect, but there's a lot more important things that that money could be spent on.

Advertisement