Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more SW communion/confirmation payments

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I see the DSW are stopping Communion/Confirmation payments.

Going to be lots of unhappy parents and kids out there so.

Its on the RTE Lunchtime News right now.

It will hit alot of hard pressed families.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh this is news last December when it was announced, widely publicised at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh this is news last December when it was announced, widely publicised at the time.

Well its on RTE News now.

Simon Coveny when interviewed about it,seemed to be completely caught off guard on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

about time it was stopped, should never have been paid in the first place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well its on RTE News now.

Simon Coveny when interviewed about it,seemed to be completely caught off guard on the matter.

Are RTÉ four months behind :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is crazy,where will i get the money for her dress,tan and bouncy castle now?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Parents having to stump up for their own kids ridiculous days, poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Was this a set figure to a family or how did they see who was entitled to receive it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

This is crazy,where will i get the money for her dress,tan and bouncy castle now?

and the hummer/helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Now make it compulsory to make it in school uniforms.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are RTÉ four months behind :confused:

Im only saying what was on the news today.

SW say they will still make emergencey payments to people,if they can prove its an emergencey and need thre money.....but the payments cant be used for any religious purposes/reasons.

Watch the news.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Im only saying what was on the news today.

SW say they will still make emergencey payments to people,if they can prove its an emergencey and need thre money.....but the payments cant be used for any religious purposes/reasons.

Watch the news.;)

About time, the state should not be subsidizing religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

We don't do it for Muslims, Jews, Buddists, Stonemasons, etc or any other religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

/sneery comment about catholicism to blizzard of thanks

/sneery comment about "scumbags" to blizzard of thanks

/mention of "jacinta" and/or "anto" to blizzard of thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

i bet those catholic scumbags Anto and Jacinta are appalled!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Considering that the purpose of Supplementary Grants has always been

"to help meet essential, once-off and unforeseen expenditure which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income" they should never have been making payments for communions dresses in the first place. It can hardly have been an 'unforeseen expenditure' as when little Jasmina was baptised the probability of her needed a communion dress in about 7 years should have been 'foreseen'. How much warning do people need???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

McLoughlin wrote: »

I made my confirmation in 1985 and we all wore our uniforms. I think it's an ideal solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Looks like britney and shakira will be dissapointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

It's grand, I'm sure the church will give a few quid, generous souls that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

About time, the state should not be subsidizing religion.

Separation of the state from religion is slowly but surely happening and this is another step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I made my confirmation in 1985 and we all wore our uniforms. I think it's an ideal solution.

Or better still take it out of the schools altogether?? It shouldnt be anything to do with the school in the first place.

Oh, boo hoo

Stay in for a night or two, and you'll have recouped the grant

Well my thinking on the matter is this.

3 letters spring to mind here.........

I

M

F

Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I disagree because I think that schools shouldn't have anything to do with sacraments. Let them make it in identical white robes which can be bought/rented/borrowed from the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I have an uncle that's an Augustinian brother, he was telling me about the young priest in his local parish who, because it was a generally deprived working class area, had instituted a new rule that those children making their communion would do so in their school uniform and wearing a simple kind of white smock over it. He did this in defference to the ceremony and to ensure that families that could ill afford it weren't forced to keep up with the jones's. The cost of communion clothes would therfore come to 10 euro.
    The priest was literally bombarded by parents queuing to complain about how upset their little girl would be not to get to wear her 'princess dress'. Fair balls to the man, he stuck to his guns, but he was just ignored, the children came to the church decked out like an episode my big fat gypsy wedding under the smocks and as soon at the ceremony was over there was an abandoned pile of smocks dumped at the back of the church. Aparently he was pretty sad about the whole affair.
    what message are parents sending to their children with this nonsense, not a spiritual one I assure you.
    Looking back at communion photo's of my brother and myself taken the early 80's is hillarious, we're both wearing the same horrible brown suit, the same one my cousin also wore before us.
    It's not that my parents were poor or anything, but during the 80's even the middle classes watched the pounds and the pennies and had these odd idea about 'living within their means' and not pissing money up a wall on wasteful items like clothes that would be worn only once by kids.
    The idea of heading down to the County Welfare Offiver for a loan to do this or applying for a grant was a concept that they would have thought laughably alien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bang goes my chances of a Jedi cloak grant for Mikom jr's communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fantastic news, make school uniforms compulsory for these events and parents can fund the stupid parties themselves or band together to pay for one big one, enough subsidising of religious ceremonies

Could it be means tested perhaps???

People that realy do need the extra money due to the recession and possible loss of job,can be means tested for the payment.

Surely stoppng some of the TDs crazy high perks/allowences would save more money than stoping this small once off payment all together??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Could it be means tested perhaps???

People that realy do need the extra money due to the recession and possible loss of job,can be means tested for the payment.

Surely stoppng some of the TD crazy high perks/allowences would save more money than stoping this small once off payment all together??

Means test subsidising a religous ceremony? NO! maybe transfer it over to some other payment but we need to remove every vestige of the churches influence on this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

With the opitional addition of sequins

Advertisement