Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just spoke to a lad who I have never heard speak about MMA before in his life (in fact, he might've told me he had no interest in watching it at one point) who was all about telling me about "Cage Fighting" and how "Colin McGregor" was going to be World Champion. He also asked me had I ever heard of Chuck Liddell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

"Originally Posted by billy2012
    In fairness Joe heart makes a few fair points.
    And yes....Id imagine an All Black rugby player would take most mma lads down within 2/3 attempts."

You don't have to apologise, we are allowed to have a debate - that's what the forum is for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

How did this thread go from celebrating Conor's win, and discussing his future, to talking about the all blacks??

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

billy2012 wrote: »

In regards to Jones and Gsp, Aldo, Dos Santos, people talk about there defence because its rare to stop a high level wrestler taking you down.

The statement wasnt "a high level wrestler can take anybody down", it was something along the lines of "anybody can take a striker down"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

RainMaker wrote: »
    "Originally Posted by billy2012
    And yes....Id imagine an All Black rugby player would take most mma lads down within 2/3 attempts."

You don't have to apologise, we are allowed to have a debate - that's what the forum is for :)

Yes?? The All Black Rugby thing was brought up by someone else. I was just agreeing....to an extent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

El Guapo! wrote: »
    How did this thread go from celebrating Conor's win, and discussing his future, to talking about the all blacks??

Err, isn't it obvious? Cause they have high level wrestling :rolleyes:

The statement wasnt "a high level wrestler can take anybody down", it was something along the lines of "anybody can take a striker down"

What statement? Oh Joe hearts statement? Im just talking about wrestlers vs strikers tbh, that joe guy was clearly just trying to have a dig at MMA.

I on the other hand have been a huge fan since The Pride days. And, for the record, I can't stand Wrestlers, but it's a great base to have, maybe something Ireland lacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Yes?? The All Black Rugby thing was brought up by someone else. I was just agreeing....to an extent.

Well that's ok then :)

@El Guapo - Conor watched an All blacks game once :P

Back on topic - I see even yahoo sports news carrying an article now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--a-star-is-born--irishman-conor-mcgregor-goes-from-rags-to-riches-with-one-brutal-knockout-022138398.html

El Guapo! wrote: »

This is why I was aplogizing.

I didn't want this o happen, I just wanted to make a quick point but everyone has attacked me over it LOL. I wo't be posting again in regards to this.

Maybe the last few pages should be deleted or moved somewhere else so this thread can just focus on 'Notorious' and his winning debut ufc fight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

How many times did Silva do this to Chael Sonnen?

When did Chael take up rugby and start playing for the All Blacks? News to me!

My comment was in reply to 'an All Black' being able to take down an MMA fighter.

Anyhow, enough of this, Conor's win should not be sullied by trolls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

UncleChael wrote: »
    When have you ever seen Chael get massacred before to make you think that will happen?

He got beat up fairly badly even being on top of Anderson but it's more to do with what Jon Jones is capable of than Chael, I think it's a total mismatch.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just spoke to a lad who I have never heard speak about MMA before in his life (in fact, he might've told me he had no interest in watching it at one point) who was all about telling me about "Cage Fighting" and how "Colin McGregor" was going to be World Champion. He also asked me had I ever heard of Chuck Liddell.

Yeah dude, if he wins a couple more fights, MMA is what the whole country will be talking about.
    Do you remember that interview with Wayne McCullough where he got taken apart by mick dowling and idiot callers talking nonsense about MMA? Those days will be gone and people like dowling wont be able to let his ignorance spoil MMA for the rest of the people in the country who take his opinion seriously and may not know MMA too well.
    You can also throw Kenny Egan in there with mick dowling too, I really hope he doesn't embarrass himself anymore with stupid tweets like he let off after conors fight. He might realise its pretty far from cool soon enough when a few people shout across the street at him for being a dick head. As a competitor it was really low that tweet he sent out after such a big victory for an irishman on the world stage. I can guarantee right now that more people in the world know conor mcgregor then kenny egan thats for sure.

Anyway that rant aside, if Conor continues in the same vain the whole country will get behind him, im sure of that just like they do with our other sportsmen and women. UFC will be on RTE news :D

And, for the record, I can't stand Wrestlers,.
    tumblr_lyrw9lw9A51qe2tt8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I didn't want this o happen, I just wanted to make a quick point but everyone has attacked me over it LOL. I wo't be posting again in regards to this.

Maybe the last few pages should be deleted or moved somewhere else so this thread can just focus on 'Notorious' and his winning debut ufc fight :)

Ah sure we all get side-tracked from time to time........like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
    Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Soon he'll tell you all about Fedor and Pride

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Yay! We agree on something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Chinpool wrote: »
    Soon he'll tell you all about Fedor and Pride

I'll give it a couple of weeks. If I asked him what a Fedor was he'd probably think I was talking about hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

And yes....Id imagine an All Black rugby player would take most mma lads down within 2/3 attempts.
    People are talking about Gsp and Jon JOnes take down defence...These guys are the very best out there, not the norm. Do you think Chael wil get jones down? Hell Yes he will. MOst wrestlers will take down a striker at some point if they want.

Sorry to go of topic but Joe was getting a hard time and making a few fair points, Maybe he went the wrong way about it.

CONOR FTW!!!

Its not that he is incorrect on the facts.

Imagine I said football is full of long ball teams. Name me one team who doesnt hit the ball long from one end of the pitch to another????

Hitting a ball down a pitch is part of football but some teams use it as their main weapon and some use it only when needed. To call both those styles "long ball teams" is not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

darced wrote: »
    Just reading that twitter row there and I have to say I think conor was a bit harsh,it seemed like a joke but maybe Egan is a tit on twitter I dont know I dont use it,maybe they actually know each other.

Yeah I taught Conor made a fool of himself, surfers, windsurfers and kite surfers are always knocking each others sport but its harmless fun . Egan was paying him a compliment

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Another great interview on the MMA Hour. Quick question, if Conor switches FW to LW every fight, how does that affect his ranking? I thought it would slow him down making progress in a specific division?

Link for interview

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/8/4194168/the-mma-hour-with-conor-mcgregor-miesha-tate-matt-mitrione-melvin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Maybe Conor should triangle choke Egan to let him feel how "gay" it is? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

What went on in twitter between egan and mcgregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

If I asked him what a Fedor was he'd probably think I was talking about hats.

I just laugh/spat cornflakes all over my keyboard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

conor678 wrote: »
    What went on in twitter between egan and mcgregor?

Kenny tweeted this kentweet.jpg

And then this happened
    tweet1.jpg
    tweet3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Couldn't help but burst out laughing when Conor told Ariel that Egan was a 'F*cking Dope!!!'

Also, 'F*ck Segal, Chuck Norris is the mudderfukkin maaaaan'. Gas out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

^^^

td50137_fry-not-sure-if-trolling-jpg.72209

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

darced wrote: »

Dave Hill would tell you otherwise.

UncleChael wrote: »
    Dave Hill would tell you otherwise.
    As would the purple belt competitors in the Dublin BJJ competition last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement