Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

I'm gone to the general thread. I'm always openminded so please educate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Joe Hart wrote: »
    I tried. I picked a random MMA fight on youtube, first one I came across. Its 90% wrestling and goes down whenever one guy wants it to. I've only ever seen standup fights when both fighters want to stay up. Please prove me wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooj6CPM_bes

Watch any of Chuck Lidells early fights. Or pop into an MMA club and try a wrestling class or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

731667d1301629315-reminder-beware-bad-sellers-trollin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Back to conor.... Rte have an article up about him now http://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2013/0408/380384-mcgregor-i-was-looking-to-dominate-on-ufc-debut/

Wow cant believe rte putting up a decent article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Can somebody explain the hype to me. An Irish guy wins a fairly minor bout in what is a minor sport and its the biggest news of the year? I'd understand if he was champion of something.

Is that you egan? Kenny? Kenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Catch weight fight
    McGregor vs Egan

Conditions:

Egan gets to sit in his gaf and slag MMA off all he wants from his keyboard trying to pit the Irish boxing community against the MMA community and we'll all try and keep our 'frilly knickers on' and cut down on our protein shakes.

While Conor gets to win loads of UFC fights and make loads of cash !

It's onnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

His response seemed typical of the aggressive MMA type. I'm sure he thinks he is some kind of hardman warrior outside the ring. That is why the public won't warm to an MMA fighter.
    While Conor gets to win loads of UFC fights and make loads of cash !

The purses are fairly pathethic. He was talking about buying bespoke suits after years on the dole. Maybe he might save some of his cash to account for a variable income that might see him without earnings for good stretches. I won't be happy if he is 29, back on the dole but with a wardrobe full of 2 grand suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

To Joe Hart. Watch any UFC Jon Jones fight. Never ever taken down. That is all.

Regarding Conors comments to Kenny Egan. No I think it was exactly what was needed. Egan wanted to slag off MMA under the pretence that its all craic when its obvious he was looking to seperate boxing fans from enjoying MMA by claiming its a little gay. He shouldnt have tagged him in that photo. He's basically slagging him off in public.

His response seemed typical of the aggressive MMA type. I'm sure he thinks he is some kind of hardman warrior outside the ring. That is why the public won't warm to an MMA fighter.

If anyone responds to this seriously you deserve a slap. You are being trolled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

GSPfan wrote: »
    If anyone responds to this seriously you deserve a slap. You are being trolled.

True, but the fella has been trolling half the threads in the Mma section all night and getting plenty of bites.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    True, but the fella has been trolling half the threads in the Mma section all night and getting plenty of bites.

A troll is looking for a reaction. I have a genuine contrarian view which should be encouraged here to avoid pointless group think.

yeah sure
    who likes classless fukers like Randy Couture...

I hate that type of comment - is Conor McGregor an agressive person outside of the ring? hmmm let's read one twitter comment and make a judgment shall we? and if he is, and I'm not sayin he is I don't know the guy but if he is so what.... not everybody is the same - you know the standard we should all adhere to in life yeah?

There's literally 10,000 MMA fighters in the world in more than 500 promotions with a card on somewhere every single night of the week all year round..... the world has warmed to many many MMA fighters - you're a flat world thinker - what YOU know ain't fact - there's a big bad world of MMA out there and you should learn something about it before literally annoying an entire MMA forum - most of whom think you're a troll - I'm not sure - I just think you have a 'view' about MMA based on limited information so you're points are not supportable. You'll no doubt realize you're wrong in so many ways over the next few months as you learn more and watch more and try and not look for information to support a preconception if at all possible.

Here's a list of classy MMA fighters in and out of the ring. Learn about them.

GSP
    Mark Munoz
    Machida
    Henderson
    Stann
    Nogueira
    Dos Santos
    Rich Franklin
    Shane Carwin

not all MMA fighters are as 'book-smart' or as 'classy-in-a-suit' and clean-lookin as these lads, but go to any show and you'll see lads bleed in the cage/win/lose and hug their opponent after - and prob share a beer later. The sport is literally full of class as opposed to what seemingly closed minded people like yourself think. It couldn't operate any other way - the whole things depends of the concept of 'respect'. Most clubs have something on the wall which reads 'leave your attitude at the door' - aggressive knackers as you're doing your best to characterize average MMA fighters get thrown out of clubs before they learn their first armbar.
    Aggression is, of course, deeply part of MMA and should be and some people don't like it because fighters are necessarily aggressive in their fights - it's a violent sport and people can and do get hurt, but not usually to the degree of Rugby OR Boxing in a given year. MMA fighters come from every facet of life - just in that list you've got a high school Math teacher, Marine and mechanical engineer.

lose the preconceptions, accept you're almost MMA-Ignorant and start fresh man.

yeah sure
    who likes classless fukers like Randy Couture...

I hate that type of comment - is Conor McGregor an agressive person outside of the ring? hmmm let's read one twitter comment and make a judgment shall we? and if he is, and I'm not sayin he is I don't know the guy but if he is so what.... not everybody is the same - you know the standard we should all adhere to in life yeah?

There's literally 10,000 MMA fighters in the world in more than 500 promotions with a card on somewhere every single night of the week all year round..... the world has warmed to many many MMA fighters - you're a flat world thinker - what YOU know ain't fact - there's a big bad world of MMA out there and you should learn something about it before literally annoying an entire MMA forum - most of whom think you're a troll - I'm not sure - I just think you have a 'view' about MMA based on limited information so you're points are not supportable. You'll no doubt realize you're wrong in so many ways over the next few months as you learn more and watch more and try and not look for information to support a preconception if at all possible.

Here's a list of classy MMA fighters in and out of the ring. Learn about them.

GSP
    Mark Munoz
    Machida
    Henderson
    Stann
    Nogueira
    Dos Santos
    Rich Franklin
    Shane Carwin

not all MMA fighters are as 'book-smart' or as 'classy-in-a-suit' and clean-lookin as these lads, but go to any show and you'll see lads bleed in the cage/win/lose and hug their opponent after - and prob share a beer later. The sport is literally full of class as opposed to what seemingly closed minded people like yourself think. It couldn't operate any other way - the whole things depends of the concept of 'respect'. Most clubs have something on the wall which reads 'leave your attitude at the door' - aggressive knackers as you're doing your best to characterize average MMA fighters get thrown out of clubs before they learn their first armbar.
    Aggression is, of course, deeply part of MMA and should be and some people don't like it because fighters are necessarily aggressive in their fights - it's a violent sport and people can and do get hurt, but not usually to the degree of Rugby OR Boxing in a given year. MMA fighters come from every facet of life - just in that list you've got a high school Math teacher, Marine and mechanical engineer.

lose the preconceptions, accept you're almost MMA-Ignorant and start fresh man.

You wasted your time writing that for him. He doesn't want education, he wants aggrevation. You gave it to him.

ah sure ya never know, one less ignorant fuker out there is worth the risk : )

"..but it might very well be remembered as the night Mr. McGregor stepped into the limelight. That alone is reason enough as to why the show must go on. "

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Viewpoint-Building-Blocks-51533

give it a read it's goosebump stuff.... when the biggest MMA site in the world says sh1t like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Arawn wrote: »
    But mma in Ireland has taken off.

Yep
    Every idiot you talk to outside a pub or nightclub in town sassy he does UFC and MMA now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Lads I'm dissapointed to say the least, If he is Trolling you's have give him a great result on here, I've had to give out several warnings to posters that I don't want to warn but am left with no choice, it's just silly

1. If someone is trolling report them and state what number post you see as trolling

2. Don't comment that its trolling as then you're considered to be backseat modding

3. Don't comment to him at all and he has failed in his attempts of making all you lads look foolish

4. Ignorance is not necessarily Trolling so don't just report comments that may just be a clueless poster

5. I've spent 20 mins dealing with definite rule breaches rather than checking if he is a troll, now I'm busy getting kids ready for crèche so that will have to wait.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

In fairness Joe heart makes a few fair points.
    And yes....Id imagine an All Black rugby player would take most mma lads down within 2/3 attempts.
    People are talking about Gsp and Jon JOnes take down defence...These guys are the very best out there, not the norm. Do you think Chael wil get jones down? Hell Yes he will. MOst wrestlers will take down a striker at some point if they want.

Sorry to go of topic but Joe was getting a hard time and making a few fair points, Maybe he went the wrong way about it.

CONOR FTW!!!

• Advertisement

billy2012 wrote: »
    And yes....Id imagine an All Black rugby player would take most mma lads down within 2/3 attempts.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Id imagine an All Black rugby player would take most mma lads down within 2/3 attempts.

On the pitch... yes. In the octogon when they would get a knee in the face for trying and have to keep their guard up to avoid getting KO'd by a punch or a kick... No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

You know someone has done neither rugby or wrasslin when they believe tackling and a takedown are the same thing :rolleyes:

RoboRat wrote: »
    On the pitch... yes. In the octogon when they would get a knee in the face for trying and have to keep their guard up to avoid getting KO'd by a punch or a kick... No.

How many times did Silva do this to Chael Sonnen?

The best striker ever. Well capable of landing a knee or punch?? It's easier said than done. High level wrestlers are a nightmare to deal with.

We can agree to this agree.

Again, well done connor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

People are talking about Gsp and Jon JOnes take down defence...These guys are the very best out there, not the norm. Do you think Chael wil get jones down? Hell Yes he will. MOst wrestlers will take down a striker at some point if they want.

Sorry to go of topic but Joe was getting a hard time and making a few fair points, Maybe he went the wrong way about it.

CONOR FTW!!!

So you tell us not to use GSP/JBJ as examples as they are elite level competitors, then you give the example of an All Black (elite level) rugby player against an average MMA competitor? :)

I think you are overestimating the rugby player in this case anyway - most of their take downs are on people who are running away or directly towards them - it's a combination of momentum and the collision that gets the take down - against somebody standing there ready to defend a take down attempt that might prove a bit more difficult.

What you find with the all the good take down artists is that they use feints, punch/kick combos and level changes to set up take downs - they don't just run straight at you which is all I can imagine a rugby player doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

CONOR FTW!!!

These rugby players would fight at heavyweight yes, where any strike landed can usually end a fight instantly?

I don't think Chael will get Jon Jones down, I think that fight is going to be a massacre and not in Chaels favour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I actually can't believe people are trying to put logic between the 2 and having a serious discussion about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Ush1 wrote: »

I don't think Chael will get Jon Jones down, I think that fight is going to be a massacre and not in Chaels favour.

When have you ever seen Chael get massacred before to make you think that will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Its actually akin to Joe Rogans ridiculous comments that soccer players will have the best leg kicks

• Advertisement

RainMaker wrote: »
    So you tell us not to use GSP/JBJ as examples as they are elite level competitors, then you give the example of an All Black (elite level) rugby player against an average MMA competitor? :)

I think you are overestimating the rugby player in this case anyway - most of their take downs are on people who are running away or directly towards them - it's a combination of momentum and the collision that gets the take down - against somebody standing there ready to defend a take down attempt that might prove a bit more difficult.

What you find with the all the good take down artists is that they use feints, punch/kick combos and level changes to set up take downs - they don't just run straight at you which is all I can imagine a rugby player doing...

Woah.....I never brought up the All Blacks. I just agreed with someone else that I believe they would have the capabilites to take a MMA guy to the ground., given a few attempts. That is all.

In regards to Jones and Gsp, Aldo, Dos Santos, people talk about there defence because its rare to stop a high level wrestler taking you down.

Im sorry for posting. Peace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement