Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Bermudez, good shout. Personally, I'd like to see him fight either Bermudez, Brandao or Siler next.

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think there is a huge amount of pressure on him to perform which is unfair in my opinion.I've seen none of his fights before Saturdays all I seen was very one sided quick fight.

Its great to see a Irish guy do well in the UFC but I think we should get off the hype and let him train with out the pressure from the fans.

He is everywhere Dana is praising him he's on all the news sites.Its too much too fast for him I think.

Don't get me wrong I want to see him do well but I don't want to see him get fights he's not ready for and fall flat on his face.

He said he don't want fight of the nights he wants one sided fights.I don't train MMA but I would assume you need to get a good hiding at some stage.

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/125642-irish-finally-make-ufc-2.html

have a look at that thread and you'll see why there is hype in the three fights posted. Its more then justified. Only negative you could possibly say about him as far as I can see is he keeps his hands down a bit too much, and once he fights lads at the top of the food chain he wont be able to get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/125642-irish-finally-make-ufc-2.html

have a look at that thread and you'll see why there is hype in the three fights posted. Its more then justified. Only negative you could possibly say about him as far as I can see is he keeps his hands down a bit too much, and once he fights lads at the top of the food chain he wont be able to get away with that.

Hands down means nothing if you have great range and movement.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Hands down means nothing if you have great range and movement.

I dunno man, I'd like to believe that, but I've seen anderson silva knocked to the floor multiple times by chael sonnen in their first fight. I just think once you get to a certain level in MMA you can't afford to do that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I dunno man, I'd like to believe that, but I've seen anderson silva knocked to the floor multiple times by chael sonnen in their first fight. I just think once you get to a certain level in MMA you can't afford to do that ****.

Yes but you've also seen Silva knocking lots of others out, sometimes you will be caught even with your hands up and chin down.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

How ridiculous would a fight between McGregor and Cole Miller be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Can't believe people are even questioning a fight with the Korean zombie. He would finish him quicker than brimage. He is gonna be fighting for the title in less than 2 years fact. I think a 3 or more wins he will fight cub Swanson great fight it would be and Conor will knock him out has much better boxing and movement, Swanson is good but not as precise striking and doesn't move as good. After a win like that he'll be up there for the title shot . Best boxing in the devision. Absolute ****ing beast, couldn't be prouder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

Oh dear.

People need to stop throwing out all these huge names saying Conor would walk through X, Y and Z. Seriously, 1 fight in the UFC. 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Can't believe people are even questioning a fight with the Korean zombie. He would finish him quicker than brimage.

Jung is ranked 3 or 4 in the world and will get a title shot if he beats Lamas. To say McGregor would beat him that easy just shows extreme naivety in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RoboRat

People need to stop throwing out all these huge names saying Conor would walk through X, Y and Z. Seriously, 1 fight in the UFC. 1!

What the hell do you mean... Of course he could walk through everybody.

Oldham could also win the premiership because they beat Liverpool in the FA cup. FACT.

</sarcasm>

I think people are getting a bit too carried away. I have no doubt that Conor will be a huge success in the UFC and he deserves it, but don't let national pride cloud your perspective. Conor needs to be tested on the ground by a high level grappler or wrestler. Until that happens, I think we can stop talking up title shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I think he deserves the title shot now!! Bring on ALDO!!! ;);)

RoboRat wrote: »
    I think people are getting a bit too carried away. I have no doubt that Conor will be a huge success in the UFC and he deserves it, but don't let national pride cloud your perspective. Conor needs to be tested on the ground by a high level grappler or wrestler. Until that happens, I think we can stop talking up title shots.

Someone mentioned Bermudez earlier, he'd be a good high level wrestler that could give Conor a hard time. That's a pretty decent next step match up if you ask me.

Of course title shot is way too early... It's actually nonsense he's only 24 has a lot of growing and a lot more learning but I think he can really hang with most of the guys in the top ten. Dustin poirer would be a nice win for him also he's ranked #26 I think and went a clise decision with swanson. He has everything in his game already and as I said he's only 24 , still years of growing. There is the same hype over Conor as there was after Jon jones 1st couple of fights and I really think he has the same potential.
    Watch this space he will be fighting for a title in less than two years.

Ha ha holy **** I'm still recovering from Sweden for some strange reason I thought we were talking about Leonard Garcia and had been been watching his last fight with K zombie.
    But K zombie would be an entertaining fight for Conor after a couple more wins. But I'm
    Sure he would go through him. He's a big strong FW too and we havent seen anywhere near his best yet. He's a true martial artist that just wants to keep learning and that in my mind is what will ale him right to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Fair play to McGregor, it was brilliant to watch an Irish fella fight and win in the UFC. Hopefully in the Boston card (whoever hes fighting) he gets the win, Dana & Joe Silva set up a Irish card in the o2 :)

The bleeding size of him for a FW too, looked more like a WW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/4/7/4191818/next-fights-ufc-fuel-tv-9-winners-mousasi-pearson-mitrione-pickett-sweden-mma

Winner: Akira Corassani
    Who He Should Fight Next: Conor McGregor
    Why They Should Fight: Despite putting on an absolutely phenomenal performance against Marcus Brimage in his Octagon debut, Conor McGregor should not be pushed too hard up the ladder in the featherweight division.

It would be in the UFC's best interest to allow the 24-year-old to further develop his skillset and become a recognizable name to UFC fans. "Notorious" already has a solid following, but fighting on the "Prelims" portion of a FUEL TV card isn't exactly where stars are made.

Akira Corassani picked up the most significant win of his career when he defeated Robbie Peralta on the UFC on FUEL TV 9 main card and in the process derailed a fighter many believed to be a future contender in the division.

With a career-defining win fresh under his belt, why not give Corassani the chance to take out another prospect in McGregor while giving the Irishman a match up that would test his ground game and give him a chance to put in more cagetime.

I agree with this match up... perfect next fight IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Delighted he got the KO bonus. I never usually hear who wins KO/Sub bonus but just always assumed it was for main card fights only so nice to hear. Dont think it could have been a better debut.
    Would be good to see him on the Boston card in August. Pendred might have a squeak if he can dispatch Che Mills in June because i think Pendred is Boston born. Though i think Pendred will have to overcome Che Mills impressively and without it being too grueling to get a call up because of the close proximity of dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    Choo! choo! all aboard the hype train!!

Explain diccccck head

think it was a joke there man

Rang the Irish Time and politely asked if they are going to cover Conor's UFC Win today.

Direct quote:

"Not necessarily no"

I asked why not?

"because we have acres of things to cover and that's just not on our list of priorities"

and then hung up abruptly for no reason.... although that might just be the way journos do things I don't know... or.... he's got other calls today asking the same thing.

Not on their 'list'.... I think that's disgraceful personally. One of our biggest papers and they can't afford a 2 inch column or an online reference or a single tweet. That would annoy the crap outa me if I was Conor or his camp. You can't help but think it's a middle class readership thing - the Irish Times don't want to report on it because it's 'beneath' them.... IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Thread gone up 60 odd posts since fight day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/featherweight/

Conor ranked the #20 FW after that win according to that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

McGregor will be interviewed on 2FM tonight around 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

He'll be interviewed on Ariel Helwanis MMA Hour at about 7.40pm tonight too
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/8/4194168/the-mma-hour-with-conor-mcgregor-miesha-tate-matt-mitrione-melvin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Can somebody explain the hype to me. An Irish guy wins a fairly minor bout in what is a minor sport and its the biggest news of the year? I'd understand if he was champion of something.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    It was a joke on how carried away everyone is getting,a light hearted jibe.

Sorry taut it was smart ass:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement