Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Joe Hart wrote: »
    Can somebody explain the hype to me. An Irish guy wins a fairly minor bout in what is a minor sport and its the biggest news of the year? I'd understand if he was champion of something.

sure there'll be a few other responses so here's my one anyway

On this thread, which is set up for MMA, and in particular 'Conor McGregor' I would assume it's a big bloody deal wouldn't you? It's clearly not the biggest news of the year anywhere else in that it's not even mentioned in the Irish Times so exactly what do you mean? If you mean do WE here think it should be a big deal then YES damn straight we do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Can somebody explain the hype to me. An Irish guy wins a fairly minor bout in what is a minor sport and its the biggest news of the year? I'd understand if he was champion of something.

Minor sport? Ha it's the fastest growing sport in the world!! Would ever get a grip! This is big news in Irish MMA it would be like if shamrock rovers got into the quarter finals of the champions league. Such a small country and we have a superstar representing on the worlds biggest stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

sure there'll be a few other responses so here's my one anyway

On this thread, which is set up for MMA, and in particular 'Conor McGregor' I would assume it's a big bloody deal wouldn't you? It's clearly not the biggest news of the year anywhere else in that it's not even mentioned in the Irish Times so exactly what do you mean? If you mean do WE here think it should be a big deal then YES damn straight we do!

I'm talking outside this thread. There is a bit of buzz in the general public and media.
    It is a minor sport. Compare the money in boxing and MMA. We regurlarly get boxers competing at the top levels and you wouldn't hear too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I think it is because people recognise that he has the potential to be really special, who knows if he will live up to the hype, but it's a pretty spectacular start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Rte said he would be on 2fm at 7. Just tuned in, has he be on yet?

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    Rte said he would be on 2fm at 7. Just tuned in, has he be on yet?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

He's on now.

yeah on rte and mmahour at the exact same time!!

nice short and no stupid questions, conor came across really well again. nice also they had the full buffer fight intro for conor too along with some of the praising commentary from kenflo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

He's everywhere! :D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1594727-ufc-on-fuel-9-results-the-real-winners-and-losers-from-mousasi-vs-latifi/page/3

The Cage Warriors two-division champ is probably already the best Irish cage fighter ever.

Of course, if you want to get factual about it, Tom Egan is the only other Irishman to fight in the UFC, and he went 0-1. Maybe that's why there was uncertainty over whether that green wave of hype Conor McGregor rode into his Octagon debut was justified.

After McGregor's first-round TKO of a fired-up Marcus Brimage evened Ireland's all-time UFC record, there should be no more uncertainty. That green wave is probably set to swell to a tsunami. We could look back at this humble card and remember it as the start of something big.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RainMaker wrote: »
    He's everywhere! :D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1594727-ufc-on-fuel-9-results-the-real-winners-and-losers-from-mousasi-vs-latifi/page/3

The Cage Warriors two-division champ is probably already the best Irish cage fighter ever.

Of course, if you want to get factual about it, Tom Egan is the only other Irishman to fight in the UFC, and he went 0-1. Maybe that's why there was uncertainty over whether that green wave of hype Conor McGregor rode into his Octagon debut was justified.

After McGregor's first-round TKO of a fired-up Marcus Brimage evened Ireland's all-time UFC record, there should be no more uncertainty. That green wave is probably set to swell to a tsunami. We could look back at this humble card and remember it as the start of something big.

Stevie Lynch and Colin Robinson both fought at UFC 72, Big Col also fought at UFC 80

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

He has just mentioned Norman Parke as he would like to fight in Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hahahaha, he's a fcukin chef now!!!

Pack it up with all sorts of shit :D:D:D

hahaha don't know what to say - he just makes a great interview.... just a happy guy gives off such a good vibe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

We regurlarly get boxers competing at the top levels and you wouldn't hear too much.

Yeah but those guys cant defend takedowns.

UncleChael wrote: »
    Yeah but those guys cant defend takedowns.

Neither can any MMA fighter. If somebody wants to take it to the ground they can with little bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Neither can any MMA fighter. If somebody wants to take it to the ground they can with little bother.

What??
    I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense. Some fighters have excellent takedown defense. Not every fighter can take it to the ground whenever they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yep...UhHuh....Hmmm....yes....
    Now maybe you should actually go watch some fights and learn a bit.

You are taking this off topic but then please enlighten me. Show me some videos of guys forcing a fight into a standup despite having multiple take down attempts.

• Advertisement

I hate those that chop down newcomers to this MMA forum or to MMA in general... but for gods sake dude don't make statements backed up by no knowledge. A great All Black rugby tackler would have little chance getting the best takedown defenders in MMA to the ground if they were similar in size!

I hate those that chop down newcomers to this MMA forum or to MMA in general... but for gods sake dude don't make statements backed up by no knowledge. A great All Black rugby tackler would have little chance getting the best takedown defenders in MMA to the ground if they were similar in size!

Ex pro* rugby player here and I highly doubt that.
    I've watched about 50 MMA fights and any time I guy has looked for a wrestle he has been able to have one. Its really wrestling with a bit of striking.

*Full time academy player. Thats about as good I got.

Ok Joe see the problem here is very simple.... you haven't a clue about what you're talking about and I'm not trying to be smart I'm just simply echoing the sentiment that you may need a bit more experience watching MMA to make such false baseless statements like anyone can take anyone down. Forget my rugby analogy it was crap anyway.

mind you there are a few guys in MMA who could take MOST guys down whether they liked it or not - GSP is one, as you know.

Ok Joe see the problem here is very simple.... you haven't a clue about what you're talking about and I'm not trying to be smart I'm just simply echoing the sentiment that you may need a bit more experience watching MMA to make such false baseless statements like anyone can take anyone down. Forget my rugby analogy it was crap anyway.

mind you there are a few guys in MMA who could take MOST guys down whether they liked it or not - GSP is one, as you know.

I tried. I picked a random MMA fight on youtube, first one I came across. Its 90% wrestling and goes down whenever one guy wants it to. I've only ever seen standup fights when both fighters want to stay up. Please prove me wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooj6CPM_bes

I tried. I picked a random MMA fight on youtube, first one I came across. Its 90% wrestling and goes down whenever one guy wants it to. I've only ever seen standup fights when both fighters want to stay up. Please prove me wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooj6CPM_bes

oh good lord ehhh dya know what.... no. Just no. Have a nice day - go talk bout it in the general chat thread dude. I'm sure you'll be warmly received saying MMA is just
    Its really wrestling with a bit of striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Minor sport? Ha it's the fastest growing sport in the world!! Would ever get a grip!

It's not, that statement might have been true at 1 point but hasn't been for years, numbers of viewers are steady at best, numbers in clubs similar but certainly not exploding in numbers

The fastest growing sport in the world is probably growing from 10 to 100 players this month, growth by 10, in no way is the fastest growing sport an accurate statement, not by viewers, participants or % in growth.

Soccer has probably more new players in a year than their is in Mma in total, I'd say Boxing has way way more new participants worldwide also yearly, % wise probably both less because their already so big, but smaller new sports would have large growth that way.

Anyway. Please stop with the copying joe Rogan propaganda statements.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

oh good lord ehhh dya know what.... no. Just no. Have a nice day - go talk bout it in the general chat thread dude. I'm sure you'll be warmly received saying MMA is just

Second random fight. Wanted one that was all standup. As I guessed it was too guys that wanted to stay up, zero takedown attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0iFbn9rUCE

look this has nothing to do with McGregor - you're wreckin a party here : ) see us over in the General UFC thread and we can debate whether it's easy to take down a professional MMA fighter if you want to - even though they train at defending against that exact thing literally every session for years and years and years.... take it over to general UFC man

Second random fight. Wanted one that was all standup. As I guessed it was too guys that wanted to stay up, zero takedown attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0iFbn9rUCE

There are plenty of fights where one guy will very visibly stuff takedowns, some fighters more than others. Jose aldo would be a great example. But if your sample size is low i can see how you havent seen it. But yes its more probable that the fight will go to the ground at some stage if 1 or more fighters want it too but cool things can happen on the ground (which is hard to appreciate as a newcomers). Also of course there are wrestlers who try to nullafy the other by holding the other down (most fans and fighters dont like this)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

So some guy comes in trollin and the regulars are biting?

That's disgraceful, Joe ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement