Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yep Logic, I was up and running straight away. The engineer said to make sure the modem wasn't turned off within an hour but that was it.

@Marhay70: Are you with vodafone?

DSL is syncing ok but no internet. It looks like an authentication issue but the logs on the router don't show anything. Tech on the phone saying the profile is set too high but that doesn;t make sense, its synching on around 30 down and 8 up each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yep logic, I'm with Vodafone. Obviously your Dad didn't trial his connection before the engineer left. The lad who did mine was very thorough and said if I wasn't happy with anything then not to sign for the completed job .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

logic wrote: »
    @Marhay70: Are you with vodafone?

DSL is syncing ok but no internet. It looks like an authentication issue but the logs on the router don't show anything. Tech on the phone saying the profile is set too high but that doesn;t make sense, its synching on around 30 down and 8 up each time.
    If dsl is synching but no internet access it looks like an auth issue ie Vodafone have not provisioned a profile for that port to their (radius) authentication servers

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I'm with Vodafone & I can tell you the KN guy I got connected a device (oscillator) to my line at the socket.
    He then went & made the connection at the cab.
    He returned & checked on his ipad to see if there was a connection between the socket & the cab.
    Other than that he had absolutely no interest in anything else & left as quickly as he could.
    Such was his attitude that I was glad to see the back of him.

I had previously connected the Vodafone modem to the master socket in my hallway because my internet had stopped working some days before the KN engineer called. Needless to say Vodafone didn't tell me this would happen.
    Their sales person also lied to me but that is another matter.

So it seems that all companies have problems attached to them in some way or another.

Yes, it would appear people are having widely varying experiences during installation. I seem to have been lucky in that the guy who did mine couldn't have been more helpful. I didn't lose internet connection at all, except for the time he was actually making the connection. I suppose, like all jobs, some people take more pride in their work and my dealings with VF customer service have been pain free. Fingers crossed for the future.

• Advertisement

Yes, it would appear people are having widely varying experiences during installation. I seem to have been lucky in that the guy who did mine couldn't have been more helpful. I didn't lose internet connection at all, except for the time he was actually making the connection. I suppose, like all jobs, some people take more pride in their work and my dealings with VF customer service have been pain free. Fingers crossed for the future.

They said it will be monday before they will get him on. I refused to sign up to a new contract so they are not connecting me. I'm going to have to send a letter to comreg, I was told I would be automatically upgraded to efibre when it was available by the salesperson. All their calls are recorded so they should have a copy of the phonecall, it was also the one where I agreed to their terms and conditions. Hopefully sky will be able to offer fibre in my area when my contract expires, I'll never go back to vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The new contract pays for the installation costs, thats how its done. Im sure if you complain enough they'll let you pay like €100 of an installation fee instead, but why bother.

I'd probably pay the 100 rather than be tied in to another 18 month contract on a 300GB download limit. I should only have about 6 months or so left on the contract

How do people use more than 300gb in a month, is it gaming? I spend a lot of time on line and stream a lot of TV and movies but I've never got near 50gb, never mind 300.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

How do people use more than 300gb in a month, is it gaming? I spend a lot of time on line and stream a lot of TV and movies but I've never got near 50gb, never mind 300.

Many houses have multiple heavy users using multiple devices streaming Netflix, Youtube and the likes at highest quality simultaneously. Gaming uses very little unless you're downloading PC games which can be up to 30GB each. Four of us in this house average at about 300GB pm with only a 7mbit connection. I've two teenagers who stream music at the highest quality from Youtube.

Game's are actually bigger now. Two console titles this year had 50GB day 1 patches.

Then theres star citizen which pushes a new 20GB patch every second week :pac:

Another thing is many people who've immigrated to Ireland like to watch tv from home, several eastern european friends do this. One in particular had issues as that was burning 400GB/mo.

I also download a lot tv shows and movies on my sky box. HD stuff takes up a lot so I can easily hit the quota in a month. I constantly have to check that I am not getting close to it which is a pain, something I could live without really.

Ed E, would your immigrant friends not be better to invest in a satellite dish or are they living in restricted accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ed E, would your immigrant friends not be better to invest in a satellite dish or are they living in restricted accommodation?

Some of the satellite beams covering Eastern Europe are very weak or cannot be received at all from here, the satellites are over the equator to the east and the earth is round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Must be low enough quality video if you stream and use only 50gb a month.

Netflix 1080p uses around 3gb an hour.

Some are in apartments which means no dishes. And not everything is available ota here at all. AFAIK they pay a couple quid a month for logins to a streaming site.

EdE, I can see the problem with apartments all right but I have some Polish neighbours and they have a satellite dish in the back garden. Granted it's at least 1 metre across but they can get TV from Poland, Russia, Hungary and places like that.
    Thierry14 I've lived with crappy broadband for so long that I've learned to live with SD. I have a cheap Android TV box which gives me a wide variety of movies and TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I face the same problem but reversed. I live in Berlin and FTA satellite TV from the UK cannot be received. It used to be possible with a very large dish but Astra switched over to a different beam last year and it is now completely impossible so I use streaming for my BBC etc. fix. You don't be long going through a lot of data watching TV in HD like that.

Interesting Murphaph, I knew Astra had reorganised their beam but I thought it

• Advertisement

Interesting Murphaph, I knew Astra had changed their beam but I thought it was southern Europe which was most affected.
    My daughter lives near Frankfurt and she never mentioned it.
    Have you tried picking the brains over on the Satellite forum?

Interesting Murphaph, I knew Astra had changed their beam but I thought it was southern Europe which was most affected.
    My daughter lives near Frankfurt and she never mentioned it.
    Have you tried picking the brains over on the Satellite forum?
    It's been done to death on toytowngermany Marhay. Berlin was always marginal and the new spot beam killed it off completely. Frankfurt is still ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

To bring the thread back on track, my town in Kilkenny is currently listed as eFibre enabled. However only three small estates currently have it and I received a tweet this morning from Eircom stating that there were no plans for the rest of the town until at least mid 2015. I find it ridiculous that Eircom can state a town is efibre enabled when approx. 5% of the homes in the town are actually enabled.

Callanutd wrote: »
    To bring the thread back on track, my town in Kilkenny is currently listed as eFibre enabled. However only three small estates currently have it and I received a tweet this morning from Eircom stating that there were no plans for the rest of the town until at least mid 2015. I find it ridiculous that Eircom can state a town is efibre enabled when approx. 5% of the homes in the town are actually enabled.

They count it live at 40% of lines within this phase. How many cabs are live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I see the map on Eircom website has been updated again. A lot of new areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Taboganist007

Tzardine wrote: »
    I see the map on Eircom website has been updated again. A lot of new areas.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the map right now, it's not very accurate at the moment. For one thing it's all green indicating that almost every exchange in Ireland has gone live which is preposterous. But yeah there does seem to be a fair few exchanges added since the last update. Eircom were not kidding, it really is as close to a 'national' VDSL upgrade as we're gonna get - it's impressive. But I'd wait another few days for Eircom to truly update the map for proper dates for specific exchanges.

I wouldnt bother with that retail map. Use the one on eircom wholesale to see where the cabinets are and what their status is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

one of these sprung up in the front of my estate a few months ago. It's Alcatel 1000 E10. Does anyone know why this was put in?

I'm in a BB blackspot in Meath, and spent the last 5 years trying to get a BB service in my village! A few locals have approached me about this cabinet.

20150112_130228.jpg

Suspect thats an RSU. An E10 is a PSTN services AXE. Basically a small exchange.

There may or may not by DSL gear in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jenyarns

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can make sense of my issue as i'm not 100% on all the tech side of things. (sorry if I should have made a new thread)
    I have been on to Eircom many times trying to get efibre, my neighbor has it, so no problem i thought.
    They are telling me I am on a different exchange. neighbor (and everyone in my estate) is on navan drogheda and i am on navan mullingar. I'm told this exchange is not up and running as of yet and can't find out or make sense of info on when it should be..
    There is 3 cabinets in my immediate area, closest being max 30 metres from my house. All are live. Not able to post links as of yet.
    Am i not too far from Mullingar to get any kind of decent speeds?
    I was told if I paid €120 for new connection, that they could request the navan-drogheda exchange. Then when I called back and spoke to a different person was told, after speaking with her superior, I didnt have to pay the 120 and they could set me up.. only to be put on hold again and then told I couldn't! Not even half of what i've been through with them over the past week.
    Seriously fed up with it all now. If i believed a word they said I would hold out and when exchange up and running, sign up with Vodafone or something.. but I can't help feeling i'm getting the run around.
    Anyway, if someone could have a look at the maps and give me an opinion i'd be grateful!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement