Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dbit wrote: »
    Anyone in doubt here just call your current broadband support and demand to know the exchange name or number you are terminated to, so as to tell whether or not you are direct Fed .

2 years with nothing and live units all around is almost a safe bet to say you are direct fed.

Ed E was the one who knew mine was DF as i got my exchange name from eircom (Took some effort 8 or more calls )so he has a list of direct exchange names/numbers somewhere or is at least knowledgeable in that department.

what are the problems with being Direct Fed? Does it preclude ever getting Fibre broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

lawred2 wrote: »
    what are the problems with being Direct Fed? Does it preclude ever getting Fibre broadband?

Evdsl is the solution that comreg only granted green light to in October to the best of my understanding.

Its only being trialed now in 4 towns in ireland, ED E pointed out another issue with it im sure at some stage.

They will not even touch the direct fed solution until its 100% certified and signed for as per the testing phases. KN and eircom have got soo much on the plate right now that the direct fed will be a very long way down the line .

Back a few months ago one Agent when i called eircom was very direct in saying " you will never get vdsl as you are direct fed" this infuriated me but the guy looking back was being honest in my eyes.

Evdsl is the solution that comreg only granted green light to in October to the best of my understanding.

Its only being trialed now in 4 towns in ireland, ED E pointed out another issue with it im sure at some stage.

They will not even touch the direct fed solution until its 100% certified and signed for as per the testing phases. KN and eircom have got soo much on the plate right now that the direct fed will be a very long way down the line .

Back a few months ago one Agent when i called eircom was very direct in saying " you will never get vdsl as you are direct fed" this infuriated me but the guy looking back was being honest in my eyes.

Agent went as far as to say even if you ever do it will be sometime late 2016 .

Speaking to them again today they practically stated we do not have any planned date for evdsl deployments in any exchange which does not sit very well with the map for "WE are in the plan stage " on the rollout maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Speaking to them again today they practically stated we do not have any planned date for evdsl deployments in any exchange which does not sit very well with the map for "WE are in the plan stage " on the rollout maps.

I can feel it in my bones... Our gaff is going to turn out to be direct fed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

no planned date? they have a lot of exchanges on the rollout map from February on wards with the majority of them in April. Wouldnt pay much attention to customer service.
    My friend was also talking to one the the engineers on the ground and he said once they get the green light it will all be pretty fast.

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    no planned date? they have a lot of exchanges on the rollout map from February on wards with the majority of them in April. Wouldnt pay much attention to customer service.
    My friend was also talking to one the the engineers on the ground and he said once they get the green light it will all be pretty fast.

I agree with you only im not going to hold my breath , I know that in 6 months in my case in macroom Co cork when my contract ends that i will see no fiber speeds delivered from Eircom . Im going to move to ESB vodafone area and be done with it all once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

jowkon wrote: »
    I know its not nice to share this with you but who may better understand my enthusiasm. To answer your question: yes its active. Ordered 03Dec 14 09.01AM and surprisingly fast I had kn ing. visit today

Png could be lower for such nice Mb results however

That is good news, at least they are sticking to their dates this time. Mine is supposed to be 24th Dec, so it should be in sometime early January hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Evdsl is the solution that comreg only granted green light to in October

ComReg have not given the green light. I have heard that some operators are fighting hard to stop eircom rolling out eVDSL. Battle has been going on for nearly a year as i know people on the trial westport that were provisioned in the early part of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Well got my date for install - 19 December - so here's hoping that it all goes off without a hitch. Cabinet went live on wednesday I applied the day before and got my install date yesterday.

W

Hackery wrote: »
    ComReg have not given the green light. I have heard that some operators are fighting hard to stop eircom rolling out eVDSL. Battle has been going on for nearly a year as i know people on the trial westport that were provisioned in the early part of the year.

Am,........ i think or at least im sure someone posted the EU/Comreg docs showing evdsl has a go from Comreg ?? confused now.

Plus previous poster on another page states he got a letter from eircom telling him his exchange was now a go - how could that happen if it was not given the green light ?

Originally Posted by cupthehand1 View Post
    Have they maybe built a cabinet at the exchange site and it's now completed?
    Not according to the eircom wholesale website. My exchange is Douglas, Cork DGS1_E01 and it is still red on the eircom wholesale site.

Its not reflecting on the wholesale site but the guy has a golden ticket in his hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Latest publication from Comreg was their decision to extend the deadline, nothing about an agreed policy yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wholesale map has been updated, the cabinet beside my building now has a date (14/01) and line checker says up to 100mb is available. I are excited! It'll only be 9 months since the cabinet was installed, but better late than never.

I am with vodafone, so what's the process for this? Can I order the upgrade now even though the cabinet is not live or should I wait until after Jan 14th?

Will this automatically sign me up for a new contract, thus meaning that the 300gb fair usage limit will apply now as opposed to before? I generally don't go over that anyhow, but it'd be good to know anyhow.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but there are so many similar threads I thought it better to not add to the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

5starpool wrote: »
    Wholesale map has been updated, the cabinet beside my building now has a date (14/01) and line checker says up to 100mb is available. I are excited! It'll only be 9 months since the cabinet was installed, but better late than never.

I am with vodafone, so what's the process for this? Can I order the upgrade now even though the cabinet is not live or should I wait until after Jan 14th?

Will this automatically sign me up for a new contract, thus meaning that the 300gb fair usage limit will apply now as opposed to before? I generally don't go over that anyhow, but it'd be good to know anyhow.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but there are so many similar threads I thought it better to not add to the pile.

You'll have to wait until 15/01 and then ring Vodafone sales and place your order, they will arrange for an engineer to call and fit a new phone socket.
    Yes you will have to enter a new eighteen month contract with new Ts&Cs, including a 300GB fair usage clause

Why the new contract, I am sure they are going to hit me with that, I asked would I be upgraded to fibre for free when it was available and I was told yes, I don't want to enter a new contract for another 18 months. The offer I took said up to 100mb where the line is capable.

Since the cabinets went live though my normal dsl is giving me full speed all the time which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Folks iv perhaps a stupid question. Where im living is not far from an Eircom cabinet which they show on their website as being live for fibre. Its not even half a Km away from my house, would it be worth getting Eircom for broadband or is it not worth it given the amount of complaints I seem to hear or read about.

obezyana wrote: »
    Folks iv perhaps a stupid question. Where im living is not far from an Eircom cabinet which they show on their website as being live for fibre. Its not even half a Km away from my house, would it be worth getting Eircom for broadband or is it not worth it given the amount of complaints I seem to hear or read about.

go to the eircom website and click the broadband deal. I am sure its under more details or big green button , then enter your phone number , If it comes back ok then you can go with eircom or any of the other providers that sell internet over the phone lines in your area- vodafone and so on.

go to the eircom website and click the broadband deal. I am sure its under more details or big green button , then enter your phone number , If it comes back ok then you can go with eircom or any of the other providers that sell internet over the phone lines in your area- vodafone and so on.

I was thinking about Vodafone as they have decent pricing but they have a cap on usage but Eircom are saying that they dont unless they are fibbing about it.

obezyana wrote: »
    I was thinking about Vodafone as they have decent pricing but they have a cap on usage but Eircom are saying that they dont unless they are fibbing about it.

Every ISP out there operates a FUP ( Fair usage policy) and under that they can suspend or charge for going over the FUP simply compare FUPS and not the unlimited ****e.

Personally i would stay the hell away from eircom , But then one can argue in times of technical difficulty that you most likely get faster resolution to any problems as eircom own the lines and with Comreg rules you can possibly envisage longer wait times when subscribing to a third party like vodafone.

The decision is totally yours . both sales teams will lie to you on the FUP and claim the other enforces while they do not - all bull**** . Go against the FUP ask them what the FUP is behind the "unlimited" usage.

Vodafone have charged *some* people for breaching the FUP recently. Theres been threads on it. Eircom as far as we can tell have never applied theirs to any VDSL(Fibre) customers.

If I were you I'd go eircom if your usage tends to be high, but vodafone if not. A few overage charges would eliminate any savings and then some so not worth it.

ED E wrote: »
    Vodafone have charged *some* people for breaching the FUP recently. Theres been threads on it. Eircom as far as we can tell have never applied theirs to any VDSL(Fibre) customers.

If I were you I'd go eircom if your usage tends to be high, but vodafone if not. A few overage charges would eliminate any savings and then some so not worth it.

Usage would be high alright. The kids have the usually things connected all at once while only looking at one of them :D I'm going to give Eircom a ring and see what they say. Id love UPC but where im living isn't set up for it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Pushed back again in Roosky/Dromod (4 months this time). 1 year and counting of always being one month away from decent broadband :(

I only wish I had the option of going with another broadband option that would be suitable for gaming other than Eircom. Never had a good experience with them.

Had fibre installed yesterday, less than a week after the cabinet went live so can't complain after the horror stories I've read.
    Averaging 50mbs down, 20 up over wifi with ping mostly below 20ms and often below 10ms, pretty good after what I've been used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

So after being stuck in 3MB broadband land for years efibre has finally come to town.
    Cabinet is about half a kilometre away and when I check my phone line I'm told I can get up to 15MB download speed. Wtf? Is that all? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Had fibre installed yesterday, less than a week after the cabinet went live so can't complain after the horror stories I've read.
    Averaging 50mbs down, 20 up over wifi with ping mostly below 20ms and often below 10ms, pretty good after what I've been used to.

Merry Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So after being stuck in 3MB broadband land for years efibre has finally come to town.
    Cabinet is about half a kilometre away and when I check my phone line I'm told I can get up to 15MB download speed. Wtf? Is that all? :mad:
    Your line may not run via that cabinet and even if it does it may be much longer than 500m if it takes the scenic route. Having said that...it's still 5 times faster than what you had and enables simultaneous HD video streaming, which would not have been possible before. I suspect that the new upload will be much faster than at present, vastly improving the likes of Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

DeepBlue wrote: »

I'm 1.5 km from the nearest cabinet & I'm getting 25Mb with Vodafone.
    It started off at about 15Mb but when I complained on their forum they bumped it up to 25Mb which is the most my line can carry.

So kn came out and connected my dad to efibre on monday, link was fine but no internet, he said issue was with vodafone end, they should have it on in an hour. Still no internet, left with nothing over the christmas, vodafone keep telling him it will be on in the next 24 hours. On top of that, they tied him in to a new 18 month contract and reduced his cap. Tech support refused to put me on to a manager saying they are too busy. Couldn't believe my ears.

Anyone else in riverchapel area with vodafone on efibre? If so, were you live straight away?

Yep Logic, I was up and running straight away. The engineer said to make sure the modem wasn't turned off within an hour but that was it.

logic wrote: »
    So kn came out and connected my dad to efibre on monday, link was fine but no internet, he said issue was with vodafone end, they should have it on in an hour. Still no internet, left with nothing over the christmas, vodafone keep telling him it will be on in the next 24 hours. On top of that, they tied him in to a new 18 month contract and reduced his cap. Tech support refused to put me on to a manager saying they are too busy. Couldn't believe my ears.

Anyone else in riverchapel area with vodafone on efibre? If so, were you live straight away?

If you have sync but cannot authenticate then theyve either put you on the wrong port in the cab or theres an accounting issue.

Good luck getting anything sorted before monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »
    If you have sync but cannot authenticate then theyve either put you on the wrong port in the cab or theres an accounting issue.

Good luck getting anything sorted before monday.

It most likely isn't a wrong port, that would mean the job fails and the KN engineer doesn't get paid, he would know within minutes and he would have returned to the cab to fix it.

Advertisement