Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

So I have been tied into a contract with Eircom for past 11 months. Have been enjoying a 1mb connection. Eircom website kept saying that fibre is coming when I put in my phone number but kept getting pushed back.

Now turns out that it will be July at earliest before efibre but here is the rub. Just found out that I will be connected through the exchange which is just under 4km away.

My heart sank. What speed can I expect. Any better than the current 1 mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Adsl is the best you will ever get sadly Eircom dont care about you and your 4 km run . only answer is loose the gorgeous surroundings for concrete and high rise. ESB fiber to the home will probably not reach you either if you are in a sparsely populated area . Look to get out of the contract and if any wireless solutions transmit in your area . 4G is a possibility too maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tzardine wrote: »
    So I have been tied into a contract with Eircom for past 11 months. Have been enjoying a 1mb connection. Eircom website kept saying that fibre is coming when I put in my phone number but kept getting pushed back.

Now turns out that it will be July at earliest before efibre but here is the rub. Just found out that I will be connected through the exchange which is just under 4km away.

My heart sank. What speed can I expect. Any better than the current 1 mb?

Is your current package a 1Mb package or an 8Mb package? The line, if not in ****ty condition, should hold a 2Mb or 3Mb sync. So if its a 1Mb package when the exchange joins the NGN network you could get 2 or 3 on an 8Mb package. Thats the best that'll happen until they start doing "network rearrangement" like BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

ED E wrote: »
    Is your current package a 1Mb package or an 8Mb package? The line, if not in ****ty condition, should hold a 2Mb or 3Mb sync. So if its a 1Mb package when the exchange joins the NGN network you could get 2 or 3 on an 8Mb package. Thats the best that'll happen until they start doing "network rearrangement" like BT.

It's an 8mb package I guess. I actually though it was up to 24mb.

I get great signal with mobile broadband and average around 20mb with emobile but the download cap is just 30 gb. If they did a 100 or a n unlimited I would be laughing.

Get your line checked then, unless its actually more than 4KM. Your dAttenuation will give you an idea. You wont see 3G/4G with unlimited usage. Though with 3 you can abuse the PAYG plan fairly heavily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just saw a new VDSL cabinet approximately 238m (as the crow flies) from my house. I've added it to the map.

I think it was only added in the last few days because I walk past there every day and have never seen it before. Eircom site still says fibre not available in my area when I check by phone number.

How long after a new VDSL cabinet goes in is fibre genereally available?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Sorrow to say thats a million dollar question. Mines in 3 months live on wholesale site (eircom guy working on cab said he made it live as well :confused: ), retail site says no fibre in my area. No date for when it will be on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

raytaxi wrote: »
    Sorrow to say thats a million dollar question. Mines in 3 months live on wholesale site (eircom guy working on cab said he made it live as well :confused: ), retail site says no fibre in my area. No date for when it will be on sale

Ah ok, so I won't get my hopes up just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

I wonder how many people that are in green areas on that efibre map can't actually get efibre - eircom is such a broken company at this stage - it seems to be such a pathetic rollout from all the comments on here - people either can't get it or the speeds on it are very poor. I've been asking why I can't get efibre for the last 2 years even though my area has been "live" for that length of time.
    I've finally given up asking. Hurry up ESB/Vodafone - give us what we are in desperate need for in this country - some actual usable internet speeds for 2014/2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Steinle

damienirel wrote: »
    I wonder how many people that are in green areas on that efibre map can't actually get efibre - eircom is such a broken company at this stage - it seems to be such a pathetic rollout from all the comments on here - people either can't get it or the speeds on it are very poor. I've been asking why I can't get efibre for the last 2 years even though my area has been "live" for that length of time.
    I've finally given up asking. Hurry up ESB/Vodafone - give us what we are in desperate need for in this country - some actual usable internet speeds for 2014/2015.

totally, the whole efibre mess is yet another pathetic eircom fail…as you said, just a broken company at this stage…i remember that eircom customer service guy some two years ago telling me that efibre would be available in my area (d7) within a few months, yet last i checked – today – there was nothing, i just got the old “your home is not in an efibre area” message…and my current eircom broadband connection is - by today’s standards – slow, unstable and too expensive for that…
    have to say i have pretty much given up on eircom – also have other issues with them - and am going to switch as soon as it makes sense for me…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Indeed this does seem like a bit of a farce.

There has been fibre in my town for a while but not in my estate. I would check periodically and finally on the 5th of November both Vodafone and Eircoms site told me I could get fibre of up to 100Mbs.

Fortunately my contract with Sky was also coming to an end. I contacted Vodafone to switch over to simply broadband as I didn't need a home phone.

I was told the switch over would take 10-15 days and fibre would go live on the 26th of November.

On the 5th of December I got a text from Vodafone saying my order is now complete. No engineer visit and my phone is now disconnected but I'm still on sky broadband.

Well I'm still waiting… how do you find out which cabinet you're going to be connected to?

Think vodafone fibre is a self install of modem, engineer has to install new faceplate for modem. Did you ever get appointment for engineer or modem arrive ?

raytaxi wrote: »
    Think vodafone fibre is a self install of modem, engineer has to install new faceplate for modem. Did you ever get appointment for engineer or modem arrive ?

Modem arrived the next day. No appointment for engineer.

I still don't understand, how is my order complete if I'm still on Sky broadband, yet phone is now disconnected :confused:

I am grateful I'm still connected to Sky broadband though, but for how long?

For ADSL to VDSL you must have an appointment as you have to be jumpered at the cabinet. Give support a ring.

For ADSL to VDSL you must have an appointment as you have to be jumpered at the cabinet. Give support a ring.

I did after a month of waiting. They said they'd get the ball rolling :rolleyes:

A couple of days later I got the text saying my order was complete :confused:

No mention of when the engineer will visit.

Does anyone know how I find out which cab I would be connected too?

I'm looking at this site

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

There are a few green ones and two blue ones next to me. I presume I get connected to the closest one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Do you mean, like in my instance, I live in a large fibre enabled area only 400 meters from the nearest VDSL cabinet, that I would have to contact support to get me changed over to fibre as currently I am told it is not enabled at my address yet?

mad muffin wrote: »
    There are a few green ones and two blue ones next to me. I presume I get connected to the closest one?

You might be, might not. Your ISP should know or be able to request it.
    kleefarr wrote: »
    Do you mean, like in my instance, I live in a large fibre enabled area only 400 meters from the nearest VDSL cabinet, that I would have to contact support to get me changed over to fibre as currently I am told it is not enabled at my address yet?

What I was talking about is you cant transition to fibre from dsl without an appointment. This is done by your ISPs sales department by ordering the upgrade. If your line is ineligible you're either on cab that isnt done, direct fed, or too far from your cab. Support should be able to tell you which.

ED E would you have any idea what holds up cabinets been commissioned, where its ready to go ? Was talking to engineer who said he had made it live, its live on wholesale map. But not live for sales :(

Installers. There's no point putting it "RFO" or ready for order if KNN dont have the manpower to fulfill appointments yet. They have to pace turning them on so that they can keep their techs busy but not have appointments be 6 months in the future. Have to assume they do batches in an area and then roam to the next area.

That sounds fair, but then why mark it live on wholesale site ? Is the marked live on wholesale to look good with comreg ? Keep moving out the live date, here on boards its due next month since september :(
    Make the guys in planning rush cabinets, then leave them idle after work completed ?
    Sorry if it seems I'm getting at you, but no body in eircom will answer the questions.

• Advertisement

You sure its not actually accepting orders and your own line doesn't use it?

Yeah not accepting orders, retail site says I'm not in a fibre area. Any addressed checked in area is same. I was in eircom shop today and its not even giving them any date for orders and he said they would normally have a month or 2 lead time for orders.

Forget the retail site. And checking by address is only a guess. You really want to check with landline numbers.

Probably just a case of waiting as eircom Wholesale wont tell you jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Anyone know if the cabinet in Riverchapel went live on the 3rd of the december? Cabinets scheduled for the 26th Nov are still blue on the map with the same date on it. It looks like that map hasn't been updated in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

logic wrote: »
    Anyone know if the cabinet in Riverchapel went live on the 3rd of the december? Cabinets scheduled for the 26th Nov are still blue on the map with the same date on it. It looks like that map hasn't been updated in a while.

Map is updated monthly, near the end of the month, I think.

Forget the retail site. And checking by address is only a guess. You really want to check with landline numbers.

Probably just a case of waiting as eircom Wholesale wont tell you jack.

Yeah have been checking numbers as well, contact in planning told me cabinet not commissioned yet even though its ready. So its just a matter of wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

logic wrote: »

I know its not nice to share this with you but who may better understand my enthusiasm. To answer your question: yes its active. Ordered 03Dec 14 09.01AM and surprisingly fast I had kn ing. visit today

Png could be lower for such nice Mb results however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

jowkon wrote: »
    I know its not nice to share this with you but who may better understand my enthusiasm. To answer your question: yes its active. Ordered 03Dec 14 09.01AM and surprisingly fast I had kn ing. visit today

Png could be lower for such nice Mb results however

That was quick Jowkon maybe there's hope for the rest of Riverchapel Wood before Christmas;).
    I have never understood the relationship between Ping and Mbs, even with my rubbish speeds I would sometimes get Ping of 15ms although it has often been 350ms and higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

damienirel wrote: »

I'm in an 'efibre' area... but my neighborhood has not been upgraded yet

bullsh!t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Anyone in doubt here just call your current broadband support and demand to know the exchange name or number you are terminated to, so as to tell whether or not you are direct Fed .

2 years with nothing and live units all around is almost a safe bet to say you are direct fed.

Ed E was the one who knew mine was DF as i got my exchange name from eircom (Took some effort 8 or more calls )so he has a list of direct exchange names/numbers somewhere or is at least knowledgeable in that department.

Advertisement