Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options
1127128129130131133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Saw them working in my estate in the weeks before Christmas and confirmed now that eir ftth is going live from tomorrow. Carrigtwohill in East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

How long after the works were done did it take to go live?

I've also had cables installed last week (openeir I believe)

Would be good to know how long before they update their servers, it spreads to providers and finally offered by companies.

But it sounds like it was just over a month for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hmm a bit longer than I was hoping.

From reading their website it reads like they update once a month so was hoping it would be max 4 weeks. But the network providers need to update their systems from openeir's then also.

Still I've read horror shows about people waiting months.. and I know it's gonna be up soon so 2 months isn't the end of the world...

I'll keep an eye on the openeir website.

Thanks for replying mate.

Reason I was asking is my ADSL line is **** and I'm on a reduced speed to stop it disconnecting. It barely runs one 4k stream and people using their phone at the same time can cause it to buffer. Will be glad to get with the times...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

If there are phone poles or your phone is via a duct it is lightly to be quicker. However if there are no ducts or telephone poles, you could be waiting years.

The town I'm it was a month or two for people with telephone poles to be connected via an over head cable. However it has been more than three years and still not connected, where they need to dig up the footpath to install a duct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭steescribbles

Eir 1Gb FTTH order put in last week, installation due for Monday. Rather anxious about it as I'm not sure how the fibre is going to go into my apartment. Has anyone ran into obstacles with installation that require interventions like digging, drilling, making a mess? I'll probably just cancel if extreme measures need to be taken.

It's also worth mentioning that out of the 20 or so apartments, there are only two eligible for FTTH for some reason. No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Normally apartment blocks are dealt with in one go, with fiber run to boxes above apartment doors. It also needs co-operation from the OMC. What happened today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I had the very same from an Eir sales rep. I'm currently with Digiweb siro 1gig and it has never failed me, I also like the mesh wifi as it means no black spots around the house. Is Eir FTTH a superior product? I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

It was a performance improvement for me from Virgin media "fiber" or vodafone DSL. I don't know about comparing it with digiweb siro 1gig.

my ping is 6ms, download 870mbps, upload 104mbps.

1. do you feel your speed is sufficient for you?
    2. what are your upload, download, and pings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Hey

Yes I feel the speed is brilliant and when plugged in I'm getting almost the full 1 gig dl and 100 ul... I didnt have any real interest about moving but just wanted to know if Eir is a superior product over digi web siro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir are basically the same as Digiweb and other providers on Siro. Same speeds but the only exception is some providers provide 2 gig services to OpenEir IFN towns and Siro areas. Eir do not have a 2 gig plan as far as I know. The only other difference is ping and Eir's are probably the lowest in the country to Irish and UK servers.

For Siro, The openeir app seems to be broken or wants a login all of a sudden.

Is the oebroadband checker the only alternative?

https://www.oebroadbandchecker.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes they seem to have removed access to the old checker. The new one doesn’t seem to be up to date either. Eir.ie is giving me a live date for FTTH and Sky is showing available but the new OpenEir checker is still saying we’ll get to you eventually some day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

I've noticed eir markings on the paths outside my apartment complex the last two weeks or so, I'm wondering generally how long from when these appear to the actual work being carried out?

The oebroadbandchecker site says it's coming to my address but no further info.

The complex is currently Virgin Fibre cabled (with a ridiculously big box in house) so when openeir comes is that another ont box inside the home?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Is the openeir site that shows rollout of gigabit on a map still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

apparently Charleville is getting it here in Cork. Workmen was installing fibre all today and they were saying they were doing the whole town. Fingers crossed. I’m slumming it at the moment with 100meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Anyone know if it's possible to get a rough estimate of when they will be rolling out an area. The openeir site just says my Eircode is included but no indication at all of time frame?

Advertisement