Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommyboy87

That is what I had assumed but it is now over three months since I checked on Vodafone and it was available. I can see on the Airwire website that Fibre to the Home was last updated on the 8th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ansible

I'm in an existing house with FTTC from Eir. My contract is up and I see KN have pulled fibre in the meantime. Eir have confirmed that I can FTTH when I called to discuss new contract options. I decided to go with Vodafone due to much lower price and shorter contract (12 months instead of 24).

That's where the fun begins - I put my address into the vodafone website broadband checker and it confirms that I can get FTTH but the Eircode it lists for my house is incorrect (the Eircode is actually for an address in a different part of town). If I put in my existing phone number instead it confirms that I can get FTTH and let me submit the order. Fast forward to a visit from a KN engineer to discuss my options for running Fibre to the house - he confirmed there is fibre in the estate and a bunch of houses already connected. He also noted that my Eircode is wrong and "they" need to fix that. KN call to confirm the civil engineering and once I mentioned the incorrect Eircode they passed me back to Vodafone. After much back and forth, Vodafone tell me my address can't receive any broadband but offered me mobile broadband.

I guess my Eircode is incorrect in some database - at a guess the Openeir one rather than Vodafone's? Am I screwed here and stuck with FTTC (I know, it's not the worst outcome) or is there some way to get the Eircode corrected in the database? Advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

i suggest going with a more customer focused supplier like airwire or westnet who would roll up their sleeves to sort out the eircode issue rather than computer says no larger suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ansible

Yeah, it's a very fair comment. I guess I was wondering if anyone other than Eir/OpenEir can sort this out (I've no idea if this is a common occurrence or some edge case that will take years to sort out).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Hi,

When I checked my address on the Open Eir website, it said my area was included in the upgrade plans for fibre to the home. Is this a generic message that means it could years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've been seeing that message since the map first started in 2013. Still don't even have FTTC in 2021 and in a well established Dublin suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I signed up to the Eircode tracker thingee recently, got email today to say that fibre broadband will be in my area between Jan 2025 - Dec 2026.

Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Anyone know of a dispute resolution process in place for dealing with OpenEir?

I've a DP box at the end of my driveway with only 4 out of the 12 slots in use. 8 are free! Every house around is already connected except me and I'm less than 500 metres from the DP box. KN Networks said they see no technical reason I can't be connected when they were connecting my next door neighbour.

I contacts Eir Sales who opened a ticket with OpenEir and they came back today saying no and that they might consider it if it's a new build but not a property already in place which doesn't make much sense to me.

It probably doesn't help, our house is marked to be covered by the NBI plan

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Where do you sign up to that, would you mind sharing that link? The checkers I've been trying just tell me what's available now, not whats coming in future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭lukin

I presume that "Hooray!" is meant in a sarcastic way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Trying to remove my eir supplied modem and use my own.

Anyone know the PPPOE / Login credentials for eir FTTH?

On my new modem, I used eircom@eircom.net / broadband1 and VLAN tag set to 10 but no joy. Anyone had luck with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

with eir i think no user or password, just vlan set to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yeah i tried Dynamic IP, VLAN=10 and VLAN priority =1 but no joy.

Also tried PPPOE and left user/password blank; VLAN=10 and VLAN priority =1 but no joy there either.

Anyone had any luck with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

So, about 3 months ago, I received a letter from OpenEir, saying that my house is connected to the FTTH network and I can apply for internet access through a provider.

I picked one, sent the application, few days later I received my modem and got an SMS for the technician appointment to place the required hardware into my house.

However, when he came, he told me that I am not connected to the box, there must be a mistake and they have to request from OpenEir to connect me before proceeding.

Forward two months, I received a message that was saying "Line is not constructed", therefore I have to return my modem, and no cookies for me...

This was very frustrating, as I received a letter that said I was connected, and that is why I applied on the first place. Secondly, when I did my application, websites used my Eircode to define if I was connected, and I was. So, what changed?

Last, but not least, I went to OpenEir website, opened the Availability Map and to my surprise, my house, among few others, is not connected (see attached picture, green is fiber). The funny thing is, that our estate (blue line) is about 2 years old, and the not connected houses (red line) are the oldest ones, while some that are connected, are not even finished yet!

I also tried to find what is the plan for my house/estate, but a page I had bookmarked is not available anymore.

So, is there anything I can do? Somehow to push things to connect me? The box is just 10m from my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Which box is 10m from your house, cabinet or underground chamber?

The green cabinets are copper only, fibre is direct from the exchange and distributed via a dp located in an underground chamber.

When the technician arrived, he was looking in a underground "box", the ones with that heavy metallic cover that are on the sidewalks. Next to it was another one, marked as "Virgin Media".

Ok, so I received a formal reply from NBI, where it says that if I have speed above 30Mbit, I cannot do anything.

No mention though, why all the other houses that have the same speeds as me are connected and not mine, nor any future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭jos22

2026 is the same est for me, annoying as the houses 5 min walk from my home have had fiber with past 2 years.

they are classified as being rural, while we classified as being part of the town, even tho until 2 years ago they were connected to the same cab that provides up 40mb connection to the home. entire region that classified as being outside the town had being upgrade to fiber.

I expected that in 2026 that will be updated to 2030

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

I'm living in a newbuilt house.

16 months ago I spoke with Eir and they told me to "forget about broadband for 2-3 years". Then I spoke with them again 14 months ago and they told me that my address is going to be connected "soon". Since that time I got SIRO and VM networks available. An Eir contractor appeared in our estate today, I spoke with him and he told me that no distribution points are planned for 6 houses in the center of 300-house estate and from his experience that means that these houses will never be connected.

The only question is why openeir decided to ignore these 6 damn houses. The fun fact is that these 6 houses are included into NBI plan (with "pending survey" status). We have SIRO and VM available and somehow got included into NBI but completely ignored by OpenEir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭brimur69

For less than 200 quid you could setup a gigabit wireless link to your neighbours house with two if these and offer to pay for their broadband until you get your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

KN pulled fibre outside my house last week. How soon on average after that can I expect to be able to order a connection? Not sure on supplier yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

How long you have to wait can vary widely, some people in my town got in about six months, however I've been waiting over two years. The difference seems to be anyone where a overhead wire was used for their phone could order a connection, however if supplied underground it is still not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

My address is showing 1Gbps Fibre on the OpenEir map https://openeir.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=a8fdd9780bd84f0799f99522c48f6e66

However when I try order through the Eir website, it only shows 50Mbps max?

KN were pulling fibre in the manholes on our street about 2 months ago, theres also an OpenEir van constantly at our nearest FTTC cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cheers though my premises is not included for that link. I guess being in Dublin means it isn't relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

KN were working outside my house in June 2021. Fibre was spliced and completed on the 24th and showed up as available on the OpenEir map, but was unavailable to order until this week... Finally received a text from Digiweb on Tuesday to say I could now place an order with them.

I wasn't sure if this was going to be available through Eir or SIRO because SIRO have been working in and around my estate the last few weeks. Digiweb confirmed it was Eir so I placed an order straight away with Eir and am set to have an install on the 10th June. That would be almost a year to the day since the engineer finished working on the fibre outside the house.

I think the only reason Eir actually let us order is because SIRO were about to launch and they wanted to get in first. As much as I would like to wait for SIRO because of all of Eir's messing, I just want it now so went with them. Been waiting long enough at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

Seems like openeir are running their own fibre in Cobh ALONGSIDE NBI’s fibre , the guys running said they would be finished in a month or so , funny NBI is almost going live and openeir have decided to run fibre now , 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Yep. Not 2 weeks after I had Eir FTTH installed, flyer comes through door from SIRO saying they are available.

Eir had installed the fibre in the estate 12 months earlier but didn't make it available until SIRO were about to launch...

We have gone from no options, to all of them in the space of a few weeks.

Advertisement