Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Does anyone know how long it was from Siro working in their area to being able to get connected. Siro currently have the paths dug up in my estate and I'm coming to the end of my broadband contract in a few weeks so would be good to know in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thanatus

Not 100% but might have been an openeir contractor (M & T Utilities) installing ducting from cabinet to poles along Whitehall Road West - Dublin, today. Can't say for sure and didn't get a chance to ask them.If it is OpenEir getting ready to install it's probably due to Siro planning to upgrade same area, so might be openeir rushing in to avoid loosing customers. Just thought I would share. If I am completely wrong with my guesswork please do correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 baluka79

Hi,

I got a contract with eir, they will install next week hopefuly, can I skip the eir fibre router I think its eir F3000-sagecom- box.

ONT box working like a modem?

thx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The open eir map is alternating between telling me my Eircode has full 2gb fibre, no fibre whatsoever or just FTTC. The upgrade map is also alternating between my eircode being on the FTTH upgrade plan or no plans at all. It's a new build and previously the map was showing FTTC with plans for FTTH, though KN came out and said there was no infrastructure to do FTTC. Secto were out the front of the estate recently but not sure whether they did anything. Is this good or bad sign or the eir map just acting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭martco

I'm in a pocket of a town in South county Dublin, I'm a home based worker now, lived here about 18 years now and over that time despite a million promises I've always been at the tail end of any broadband service offering compared to the rest of the country it seems as the technologies have moved along....been stuck on VDSL for about 10 years now no choice just Eir/Vodafone perf fluctuates I get 50 meg down at the top end some days but even at that can be a struggle running a work office and 3x teens on flix/playstation etc.

the openeir map shows I'm trapped in a pocket along with about another 250 houses on crapnet, killer is the estate to the back of me (row of houses 50M away) has full whack fibre. I can't really see what the actual physical problem is, I'd have thought someone would care about a pocket of houses that large but clearly not...I think we're literally just forgotten about. at one point I thought I had a way out via 5G but on testing the existing mast is just too far away to be useful :(

my workmates joke sometimes how despite them living in arse end of nowhere they have FTTH lol. isn't really funny anymore tho.

Is there any human being out there I can write or appeal to get my area noticed? or they just gonna claim because I get better than 10meg it's broadband shutup what are you complaining about kinda thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Riddle me this...

So, Fibre is currently being rolled out in our estate.

A couple of days back I'd an Eir employee call to the door and during the conversation he mentioned that for the next 12 months, Eir have exclusive use of the Fibre line.

That would mean, in his words, no offers on the likes of OneBigSwitch or Bonkers would be on the Fibre line including any Eir offers on those sites.

That also means that the likes of Sky and Vodafone wouldn't be allowed sell broadband on the line.

Is this true?

It feels like horseshit to me but asking here as you guys would know.

I'm trying to avoid joining Eir, at all costs, but would like Fibre.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A couple of days back I'd an Eir employee call to the door and during the conversation he mentioned that for the next 12 months, Eir have exclusive use of the Fibre line.

Straight up, no question, bare-faced lie.

Whenever I hear about these outlandish claims from sales reps I always wish people would ask them to put the claims in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Papav3r

Hi all,

We've recently moved into a new build. Open Eir is showing FTTC as being available.

I've called Eir asking about this and have been told that no new builds would have FTTC that it would all be FTTH. Would anyone know if this is the case?

We're surrounded by older houses and their Eircodes are all on Open Eir's Fibre to the Home upgrade programme. With ours being new, it's not showing up on the Fibre to the Home upgrade programme.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am in similar situation. As I understand it, yes new builds would be FTTH only despite the map saying FTTC is available. Check the broadband plan map to see if commercial operators (i.e. Eir) or the NBI plan to provide broadband in your location.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5634d-national-broadband-plan-map/

My eircode is showing on Eir's upgrade map but it it took a while to appear. The developers wired the place but the network isn't fully built - no cables in manholes and possibly no ducts to the network. Eir told me 6-12 months and I have been advised a year is the norm with them for new builds. I have since been told mid September which would be approx 9 months since the estate was finished. I am not holding my breath but at least I know it's coming. If you are lucky the network is built and they are just waiting on the eircode to be updated on their database which can also take a while.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

It seems people in Eir tell you different things depending on who you get.

We have an engineer coming out on Monday to try and install something. Could be a good thing as it might help the process along if he finds nothing can be done on the day. I don't hold much hope but hopefully some clarity and then we can go down the mobile broadband route if needs be while we wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 liongard822

We had Eir previously 2 years ago for broadband and things worked OK. Then we moved to Vodafone for a year. Again things were OK. But we then this year tried to move to Eir Fibre. KN came out and said there is a block in the ducting so it can't be installed without further investigation. We live on a main road.

What would be the options in this situation?

So the technician came out today and told me that there was no copper wiring in the manhole and it would require a line request to bring copper wiring down.

He also pointed out that FTTH was on the pole opposite the house and active and he could pull that cabling over but the order from Eir didn't have FTTH on it.

I've said this to Eir and they've gone off to see if they can get their system updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

EIR door to door sales person came to my house near dundrum today. He said FTTH is rolling out starting 8th august to my area. I tried virgin media 1gbps fiber and vodafone 100mbps DSL at my address.

Do you know how does EIR fiber differ from Virgin Media fiber? as per the salesperson, EIR is FTTH whereas VM had fiber to the cabinet, so it was shared with others. Is that correct? Should I expect much better speed with EIR?

Vodafone gives me 40mbps download and 12 mbps upload as per speed test.

virgin media gave me 40-80 mbps download and 40 Mbps upload as per speed test. better, but not 10x. but I saw a lot more ping drops.

So, I am scared of trying out EIR.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir's FTTH Network is really good, a completely different experience to their previous copper based network. It works full speed all the time and has the lowest latency of any network, generally 2ms to Irish servers and 12 to 20ms to UK servers.

The only time it would be slower than usual is if all your neighbours were on the network at the same time downloading large files at the same time which is very unlikely. Most people who complain that the speeds aren't full are either using wifi or their network card is really old and not capable of the full speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Currently in the process of moving into a new build. I was checking if broadband was available yet as there's two of us WFH so broadband is a priority.

An Eircode is already available but it's only showing up as available with some providers. (Sky, Bonkers, Digiweb show FTTH available, OpenEir, Eir, Vodafone don't even recognise the Eircode.)

If it's available on some providers does this mean there's a good chance we'll be able to order broadband? Out of curiosity why is it only showing on some? I thought the ISPs got the info from OpenEir, where it's not recognising the Eircode and if you zoom in on their map it's not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Where did you check the availability? There is a number infrastructure providers. Open Eir, Siro, Virgin Media and NBI.

Could be that one of the others are providing the service to the area and not everyone is utilizing that providers infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

For recent FTTH installations which router did Digiweb supply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Checked availability originally on Bonkers. Showed I could get up to 1gbps service and showed Eir, Vodafone, Sky, etc as the options.

Sky and Digiweb show as available when checking on their sites. Vodafone, Eir and OpenEir don’t even recognise the Eircode.

The rest of the estate is Eir, no Siro or Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Sorry for the stooopid question, but what is the most reliable site to check fibre availability and rollout details?

I looked at the Eir map and we seem to live in a pocket of blue (low speeds) surrounded by green (high fibre speeds) - but I can't get any useful info as to when we might be upgraded. We're in Clontarf, Dublin 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

I usually use the NBI's 'Where are we working' page.

Although I was asking the same question recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Question on Vodafone / Virgin sharing infrastructure (hope okay posting here)..

I saw an article a while back about Vodafone doing a deal with Virgin to share their infrastructure. Is this the case?

The only broadband I can get (Dublin city centre near Croke Park) is Virgin, so I'd like another option. Pure came out a few years ago and said a new Eircom telephone line was needed and basically said they weren't bothered, just go stick with Virgin. I would only get 80-90Mb anyway with this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Odd one here but we are based in a cul de sac with just 7 houses.

4 of which are served by old school poles and cables while 3 of the newer ones are served via underground.

SIRO is live in the area now and the people with poles and cables are live.

I live in one of the houses served via underground, a box thingy was installed underground just at my gate.

We assumed we would go live the same as everyone else but it seems underground houses will be using open eir as they done the underground work.

No info anywhere as to when this will be going live while people in older houses are happy out with SIRO.

Im hoping someone in the know can explain why this is the case and maybe then i can guess when we might go live.

Im currently with Airwire and it was them who verified that this underground work was carried out by open eir but they have no info of when it will be going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leeryanrs

Sounds very similar to my new build in lusk that we're moving into around december.

Sky, Eir and Three 5G broadband are available. The first 2 with supposedly 1GB fiber.

Virgin media site doesn't recognise the eircode yet however I do have a virgin media box ready to be used attached on the outside of the house..called them several times and just being told to keep checking the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KickBackOnTheCouch

Hi All,

Couple of months ago I had my Eir fiber appointment "almost" completed.

Holes were drilled above my door in order to let the cable in, everything was going smoothly until the moment of digital socket installation.

It turned out that the digital socket couldn't be configured due to fiber "splicing" issue in our apartment block.

Whole process was cancelled and later during the day I received a phone call from some Eir manager saying that cabling will defiantly be fixed and operational on 31st of October. After that I was supposed to have someone get in touch with me and finish the process.

No-one reached out to me, my place is visible on bonkers.ie as fiber ready, no-one is respoding to my emails (I was trying to get in touch with customercare@openeir.ie). I tried calling eir but they said everything is cancelled, terminated and I would need to sign up for a new contract if I want to have the fiber installation finished.

Has anyone else been in the same situation and managed to get it sorted? I think I'll be resigning from Eir after this whole ordeal as it's scandalous that such a simple process requires me to pull hair out of my scalp...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Anyone have any experience of how long after you get Fibre wired to your house before you can expect to be connected ?

Back in august i got an eir card in through my door seeking permission to install fibre. Last week when i got home there was another card saying that fibre was now installed (there's a cable coming out of the ground spooled on the gable end of my house )

How long before i can order Fibre and get connected or are there still a few more phases of the build to go ? I would have thought bring the cable to the house was the finals stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

You could order from a small retailer who would use the same eir infrastructure (fibre) and who are usually good pushing openeir.

Digiweb is one that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 VirginMary

I'd also be keen to get an answer to this question, if anyone could oblige. The fibre has been pushed into the house now - what are the next steps before I could, for example, get broadband set up with Sky?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Current data is based on OpenEIR data from 23. January 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭EarWig

Can anyone summarise?

The online infrastructure blues: ‘We’re already extremely regulated, and we want to be more competitive’

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/the-online-infrastructure-blues-were-already-extremely-regulated-and-we-want-to-be-more-competitive/a1273578633.html?

Advertisement