Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raymikemc

fionny wrote: »
    I highly doubt Open Eir have that much forethought. They MAY put the cabling in the estate but if the fibre isnt outside the estate then it wont be connected to anything.

Figure out if there's OpenEir fibre in the area, even better again in the estate, but you need to go through the process of getting onto OpenEir's system. Best of luc with that, going through that nightmare currently! I hope you have a temporary solution for the short/mid-term

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Camabu

Looking for some help to point me in the right direction. My house is on a planned Rural Fibre Rollout route according to the Rollout Map. However the house next door has had fibre for the last 18 mnths and there has been no sign of any development in terms of extending passed my door. On viewing and making representations to NBI they have no plan to offer us a service. I have been onto my TD and NBI are insisting that we are not in their intervention area and we are in an area mapped as being supported by commercial operatiors. This may technically be the case according to the Rollout Map, but the reality is they are long gome from he. I dont see them coming back at this point. There are other houses within half a mile that will be covered by NBI. Where do I go now ? I cant even get proper contact details to try and get to the bottom of the EIR fiasco. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

how close is your neighbor with Eir fibre? how close is the distribution box on nearest pole to you?

i'd be requesting your local TD makes contact with his Eir rep to see about getting your eircode added to the nearest distribution box if you are in range of it and its not full...

Neighbours House is approx 500 yards away. Next distribution box ie approx another 150 yards past his house. One of the issues I see is that from my neighbours to mine the phone line is underground for some reason. Not sure if that is why they stopped where they did at the time. Dont know why it was put underground at the time ie. 20+ years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They stop, when they've filled up a segment. A segment is 31 subscribers. Obviously, there are multiple segments per path.

However, if you're past the end of the rollout as per the map, no huffing or puffing will get them to connect you. You will be marked down for the NBI.

And the above advise to contact your TD is also nonsense. OpenEIR has not been government owned for over 20 years. The government has no influence on their rollout, especially since this was build without government money.

The only houses that have a chance of getting added are houses on a stretch where there's passed premises either side of them. That's the one scenario, where there is a chance of getting it done.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Marlow wrote: »
    They stop, when they've filled up a segment. A segment is 31 subscribers. Obviously, there are multiple segments per path.

However, if you're past the end of the rollout as per the map, no huffing or puffing will get them to connect you. You will be marked down for the NBI.

And the above advise to contact your TD is also nonsense. OpenEIR has not been government owned for over 20 years. The government has no influence on their rollout, especially since this was build without government money.

The only houses that have a chance of getting added are houses on a stretch where there's passed premises either side of them. That's the one scenario, where there is a chance of getting it done.

/M

Thats harsh calling it nonsense. Your TD will know the Broadband Officer for you region who will be able to reach out on your behalf. Its well known even from listening to NBI meetings that TD's are heavily involved so obviously will be able to reach out and push it for his/her constituent.

A friend of mine was in the same boat as yourself, DP point about 100 meteres down the road, and marked as being outside the intervention area. Thinking they would simply be added to the NBI rollout, he actually got a response a few months later saying he should now be able to order FTTH, which he was.

The usual process is
    Go to NBI.ie type in your eirocde > click Find out more (if you are marked as being outside the IA.

It will bring you to https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5634d-national-broadband-plan-map/ so double check what you are showing as here too.
    BLUE areas - where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Operators are continuing to enhance their services in these areas to improve access to high speed broadband. Please contact us at Broadband@decc.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get high speed broadband from the providers in your area. It would be helpful if you could advise the department of any operators you may have contacted

If this still fails to get you anywhere, make sure you reach out to your Broadband Officer https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b49914-broadband-officers-contact-list/

joe123 wrote: »
    Thats harsh calling it nonsense. Your TD will know the Broadband Officer for you region who will be able to reach out on your behalf. Its well known even from listening to NBI meetings that TD's are heavily involved so obviously will be able to reach out and push it for his/her constituent.

No. That sort of advice is actually making it even worse.

I've on several occasions seen examples of the CoCo broadband officers giving out downright wrong information to people contacting them.

One example being, where the broadband officer told somebody, that the problem was with their provider, when the reality was, that the order was put on hold by OpenEIR, as they are trialing a new way bringing the cables in, which applied to this premise.

Even worse: OpenEIR could not have told the broadband officer anything about a specific customer, because it would go against GDPR. OpenEIR can only communicate on specific customer orders with the provider, that ordered the connection.

There are two .. and only 2 ways to add premises: through whatever provider you order from, who then engages with OpenEIR and sees, if the premise can be enabled or in the case of new houses, where your developer/builder submits the plans to the OpenEIR new housing unit. And then Comreg or the DCENR, maybe. They won't talk to anybody else.

It's not harsh. It's reality. TDs will do their best trying to find a solution for you, but on OpenEIRs rural 300k rollout, there is near zero wiggleroom from OpenEIRs side. And they've been clear about that.

Additionally: on the last Mobile and Broadband Forum, when Carolan Lennon was giving a talk, it was actually raised by several broadband officers in the audience, how little input or feedback they get from OpenEIR on anything. Tells a lot of how much they can do. And yes, I was there myself.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

No. That sort of advice is actually making it even worse.

I've on several occasions seen example of the CoCo broadband officers giving out downright wrong information to people contacting them.

One example being, where the broadband officer told somebody, that the problem was with their provider, when the reality was, that the order was put on hold by OpenEIR, as they are trialing a new way bringing the cables in, which applied to this premise.

Even worse: OpenEIR could not have told the broadband officer anything about a specific customer, because it would go against GDPR. OpenEIR can only communicate on specific customer orders with the provider, that ordered the connection.

There are two .. and only 2 ways to add premises: through whatever provider you order from, who then engages with OpenEIR and sees, if the premise can be enabled or in the case of new houses, where your developer/builder submits the plans to the OpenEIR new housing unit. And then Comreg or the DCENR, maybe. They won't talk to anybody else.

It's not harsh. It's reality. TDs will do their best trying to find a solution for you, but on OpenEIRs rural 300k rollout, there is near zero wiggleroom from OpenEIRs side. And they've been clear about that.

/M

Well that's on the broadband officer so. They are there for situations like this and to act as an intermediary. Because you know of a bad experience, doesnt mean they are all like that. Although I agree, my own experience wasnt a great one either as he didnt seem to know what was what.

From what you are implying though, its as if the poster looking for advice is simply **** out of luck when thats not the case. Something is wrong somewhere, they are either part of the NBI rollout or OpenEir will be able to connect them.

I'll refer back to my friend who followed the steps outlined above by following up with the Broadband@decc.gov.ie I know as I told him who to contact at the time as he was initially accepting he couldnt get FTTH.

Whatever happened behind the scenes, the NBI website ended up being correct in that he was correctly labelled outside the IA, and OpenEir corrected the issue on their side, with them emailing him a few months later.

He went from being constantly told 7Mb is all he could get to ending up with a FTTH connection.

joe123 wrote: »
    I'll refer back to my friend who followed the steps outlined above by following up with the Broadband@decc.gov.ie I know as I told him who to contact at the time as he was initially accepting he couldnt get FTTH.

But that's exactly what I said. Comreg and the DCENR can be an option.

The CoCo broadband officer or your TD are not. Contacting your TD is a notion that stems back from, when Eircom was government owned. That train left the station, when they sold Eircom off. No influence anymore.

Either way .. if one is past the 300k rollout ... even if it's 100-200m ... it's not happening. OpenEIR have flat out refused any requests for these. The only ones, that have a chance, are premises that are on a stretch and have passed houses either side of theirs.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EarWig

Either way .. if one is past the 300k rollout ... even if it's 100-200m ... it's not happening.
    Even if you're within 500m of the last DP?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

EarWig wrote: »

Even if.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Even if.

Lets say there are 2000 "tendrils" of the network (theres more), for arguments sake taking 20m spans, thats 25 poles or an additional 50k poles to cover by covering those areas. This is Ireland, Kingdom of ribbon development. There'll always be a home within 500m of the last DP.

Users love to post "I'm 10km from x City", thats nothing for your commute, its a vast expanse for the teams that have to lay cable/pipe/tarmac by the metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Camabu wrote:
    Neighbours House is approx 500 yards away. Next distribution box ie approx another 150 yards past his house. One of the issues I see is that from my neighbours to mine the phone line is underground for some reason. Not sure if that is why they stopped where they did at the time. Dont know why it was put underground at the time ie. 20+ years ago.

They normally put comms lines underground where electric cables cross overhead.

ED E wrote: »
    Lets say there are 2000 "tendrils" of the network (theres more), for arguments sake taking 20m spans, thats 25 poles or an additional 50k poles to cover by covering those areas. This is Ireland, Kingdom of ribbon development. There'll always be a home within 500m of the last DP.

Users love to post "I'm 10km from x City", thats nothing for your commute, its a vast expanse for the teams that have to lay cable/pipe/tarmac by the metre.
    The reason I said 500m is because that's the length of a fiber spool.

I don't expect infrastructure creep.

The distance beyond the last DP has nothing to do with it.

There are x amount of ports on the DPs on that particular run. These ports have loosely been pre-allocated to the houses on that segment.

Adding more at the end of the run would require another port on the OLT in the exchange an another DP etc.

They did draw the line somewhere. And that line was the end of the run. And they've been enforcing that end of the line on every request, that has been made by operators. It just doesn't happen, unless there are some specific circumstances.

There are plenty of places, where even houses, that are marked as FTTH available, can't get FTTH. Just because somebody maybe ordered 2 lines for one premise. When the ports are full .. the ports are full. And to avoid that happening, there is no expansion beyond the last premise.

/M

The distance beyond the last DP has nothing to do with it.

There are x amount of ports on the DPs on that particular run. These ports have loosely been pre-allocated to the houses on that segment.

Adding more at the end of the run would require another port on the OLT in the exchange an another DP etc.

They did draw the line somewhere. And that line was the end of the run. And they've been enforcing that end of the line on every request, that has been made by operators. It just doesn't happen, unless there are some specific circumstances.

There are plenty of places, where even houses, that are marked as FTTH available, can't get FTTH. Just because somebody maybe ordered 2 lines for one premise. When the ports are full .. the ports are full. And to avoid that happening, there is no expansion beyond the last premise.

/M
    I accept your point, but it is only true in general.

I'm thinking of one DP where it is simply impossible that all ports have been used.

I accept your point, but it is only true in general.

I'm thinking of one DP where it is simply impossible that all ports have been used.

It does not matter, if they have been used or not. There are 4 ports in a DP (occassionally 8).

And those 4 ports have been allocated to 4 premises. Doesn't matter if they have taken service or not.

/M

It does not matter, if they have been used or not. There are 4 ports in a DP (occassionally 8).

And those 4 ports have been allocated to 4 premises. Doesn't matter if they have taken service or not.

/M
    So a company with an unused port still won't take business today because one day the allocated house may take it up.

Sorry, you've lost me!

So a company with an unused port still won't take business today because one day the allocated house may take it up.

Sorry, you've lost me!

This is OpenEIR. Formerly Eircom. Why are you surprised ? They are still not an inch more flexible in their network planning, than they were 30 years ago. Hell, they are still operating using TIS as their line database. And that goes back to the 70s.

But that's neither here nor there. As part of their agreement with the Dept of Comms for having these 330k premises, that the rollout covers, removed from the NBP, they had to agree to reserve the ports for the allocated premises for a number of years, if I recall correctly. Politics also plays a role here.

/M

Spoke to my County Boardband Officer today and her only words of consolation were 'You are not alone'. National Broadband roll out my eye. She is going to speak with NBI to see if this can be resolved but was less than hopefull. OpenEir overcommitted and under achieved which has left me and others like me in a position that NBI are holding there hands up and saying 'Your not on my list', Well guess what we were on OpenEir's list but they were to busy with the low hanging fruit. Updates to follow.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

Camabu wrote: »
    Spoke to my County Boardband Officer today and her only words of consolation were 'You are not alone'. National Broadband roll out my eye. She is going to speak with NBI to see if this can be resolved but was less than hopefull. OpenEir overcommitted and under achieved which has left me and others like me in a position that NBI are holding there hands up and saying 'Your not on my list', Well guess what we were on OpenEir's list but they were to busy with the low hanging fruit. Updates to follow.....

Doubt that will get her anywhere as I don't think NBI can add anyone to the intervention area.

If you are not in it and cannot get >30Mb connection currently then likely you were either missed or were supposed to be in the Eir rural rollout (which they signed a commitment for to get them removed from the intervention area).

Either of adding you in to the intervention area or holding Eir to account for their commitment (if relevant) is probably the Dept of Communications

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/5634d-national-broadband-plan-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hi Folks. I have a question that I was hoping someone could help me with. I didn't think it was worth its own thread so thought I would ask here.

Our estate has access to efibre the last number of years but there were lads working on behalf of Eir / KN yesterday, laying ducting around the entire estate. They were in and out in a few hours and I didn't get to ask them about it.

Is this part of the set up of FTTH by any chance seeing as we already have FTTC here already?

I couldn't really find much after googling for an hour and was hoping someone might be able to provide some info.

Would love to get access to way faster broadband as we are very heavy users in this house.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Hi Folks. I have a question that I was hoping someone could help me with. I didn't think it was worth its own thread so thought I would ask here.

Our estate has access to efibre the last number of years but there were lads working on behalf of Eir / KN yesterday, laying ducting around the entire estate. They were in and out in a few hours and I didn't get to ask them about it.

Is this part of the set up of FTTH by any chance seeing as we already have FTTC here already?

I couldn't really find much after googling for an hour and was hoping someone might be able to provide some info.

Would love to get access to way faster broadband as we are very heavy users in this house.

Thank you.

Are you in a village outside Longford by any chance. Noticed the same. Hoping the same. They were defo pulling fibre through.

Xcellor wrote: »
    Are you in a village outside Longford by any chance. Noticed the same. Hoping the same. They were defo pulling fibre through.

Actually in am estate on the outskirts of Longford town. Haven't read anything about this being rolled out here in yet, so was just hoping someone would know. Glad to hear it's happening elsewhere in Longford too.

No sign of fibre going in yet, but that couldn't happen until the conduit was sorted I suppose. Would love to get my hands on FTTH.

Xcellor wrote: »

They were running fibre the day before yesterday at another estate across the road from mine. They also have FTTC already so it must be part of the FTTH roll out. No info to be got anywhere but I will be speaking to them when I see them again. Talking to the lads themselves seems to be the only way to get any info on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I had thought it was only rural areas that had difficulty getting high speed fibre broadband.
    I've been with Virgin for many years and currently on 500mb.

I looked at switching to Eir or Vodafone or Pure and they can only give me up to 100mb as Fibre is not connected to my house. I put a few eircodes on my road into the availability checker and they are the same. A couple of streets away has 1GB available.

I'm in Dublin about 6km from the city centre so I would consider this area to be in a Dublin suburb that would have high speed broadband. I'm stunned that I can't get it so I'm stuck with Virgin for the foreseeable and unable to avail of new business offers.

tina1040 wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin about 6km from the city centre so I would consider this area to be in a Dublin suburb that would have high speed broadband. I'm stunned that I can't get it so I'm stuck with Virgin for the foreseeable and unable to avail of new business offers.
    Actually you should have others options within the next 3.5 years as EIR finishes it's urban fibre rollout.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057946234/45

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Oz91

This morning ICL was in my estate. They installed at the beginning of the road and then left. It’s a new estate and after 8 months I guess they installed something but does anyone knows for who they installed the fiber? Might be Siro?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommyboy87

Newly built house and received the Eircode in February. When I enter the Eircode into Vodafone I can see that Fibre is available up to 1000mbs. When I search on Eir, Sky and Airwire, the Eircode is not found. Anyone know why the Eircode is not available on these but is on Vodafone?

• Advertisement

They don't update their databases at the same time.

Advertisement