Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'm starting to find the situation where I am, in a city, very frustrating too. We are on the outer edge of the coverage of an FTTC cabinet, which gives us an absolute maximum of 60mbit/s and there is no prospect of that improving. The line's far too long for 'super-vectoring' to make any difference and we can't get cable as Virgin seems totally disinterested in the area, which has a lot of individual houses built over last couple of hundred years, rather than easy-to-wire streets. They just want to go for the low hanging fruit, anything with a bit of cost is of no interest to them at all.

A lot of my neighbours, including one of the large housing estates built in the 1950s can neither get Virgin nor FTTC. They have, at best, VDSL to the exchange which is giving a lot of people only about 20mbit/s.

It seems we're just going to be ignored and bypassed both by urban and rural fibre projects.

I was actually thinking of getting in a wireless internet service, as my FTTC isn't great and often disconnects. Some of the wireless providers seem to be offering far better speeds than my FTTC hook up. So, basically 2km from the centre of Cork, I might as well be on the side of a mountain.

I've checked with Siro and there's absolutely nothing on their agenda for here and Eir don't seem to be rolling FTTH out anytime soon, so I'd say it's a case of ripping out the phone line and going for a rural wireless service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

General query: Would getting a phoneline installed to a house "help" one get fibre later on? (eir-rollout, nbp, airwire etc)

House did have phone line when built by previous owner (underground duct from pole on road) but hasn't a active line now for a few years, or since I moved in.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

General query: Would getting a phoneline installed to a house "help" one get fibre later on? (eir-rollout, nbp, airwire etc)

House did have phone line when built by previous owner (underground duct from pole on road) but hasn't a active line now for a few years, or since I moved in.

Nope. A clear duct will help, but an active phone line won't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

EdgeCase wrote: »
    an absolute maximum of 60mbit/s and there is no prospect of that improving. .

Be thankful that 60mbit/s ~(or at least anything over 15) would be very welcome when you are located just that bit too far away in the sticks for anything faster but also too near for a Blue line on the map to save the day. ...And I'm sure there is a lot worse off than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Living out the country in Limerick. I'm a new build and was looking at broadband options. Haven't made the call to eir yet but the road I am on has about 30 houses with fibre live. Then the next three houses before mine have no fibre. What are the chances of me picking up fibre? Can you get someone from eir to call out to check it or is it just a case of if it doesn't show up online then they won't entertain you?

I've attached a pic. My house is now at the bottom of that road where the two roads meet (green area at the bend in the road in the picture). From the 4 live houses pictured and up there are easily another 100 houses with fibre both on this road and going in a few different directions on different roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jofspring wrote: »
    Living out the country in Limerick. I'm a new build and was looking at broadband options. Haven't made the call to eir yet but the road I am on has about 30 houses with fibre live. Then the next three houses before mine have no fibre. What are the chances of me picking up fibre? Can you get someone from eir to call out to check it or is it just a case of if it doesn't show up online then they won't entertain you?

I've attached a pic. My house is now at the bottom of that road where the two roads meet (green area at the bend in the road in the picture). From the 4 live houses pictured and up there are easily another 100 houses with fibre both on this road and going in a few different directions on different roads.

Do you have an Eircode? If so try it here:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

and here:

https://www.airwire.ie/avail

If you don't have an Eircode try the nearest to you of your three neighbour's Eircode on the sites I mentioned.

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

Post back with the response you get.

Used next door neighbours code as I haven't got one yet.

My results from Airwire are:

Fixed wireless: not available
    Jet fixed wireless: not available
    Vdsl broadband: available
    Fibre to home: not available
    Siro urban: not available

Using eircode from neighbour 4 houses up:

Similar results to as above but

Fibre to home: 150-1000 available

Used next door neighbours code as I haven't got one yet.

My results from Airwire are:

Fixed wireless: not available
    Jet fixed wireless: not available
    Vdsl broadband: available
    Fibre to home: not available
    Siro urban: not available

Using eircode from neighbour 4 houses up:

Similar results to as above but

Fibre to home: 150-1000 available

Not good news I'm afraid. You and your three neighbours have been left out of this rollout. You have little to no hope of getting eir to connect you in the short to medium term. Officially they will say you will be taken care of by the National Broadband Plan but I've no idea if or when I'd hope to see a connection from that.

Sorry it is not better news. It must be incredibly frustrating to be so near yet so far from decent internet.

Not good news I'm afraid. You and your three neighbours have been left out of this rollout. You have little to no hope of getting eir to connect you in the short to medium term. Officially they will say you will be taken care of by the National Broadband Plan but I've no idea if or when I'd hope to see a connection from that.

Sorry it is not better news. It must be incredibly frustrating to be so near yet so far from decent internet.

Ya very frustrating. My three neighbours are all elderly so it's like they got to the house up the road and there was no one to push them to go the extra three houses so when they stopped that was it.

Probably going to have to go down the wireless route.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

My house is on the on the rural fiber rollout list. Instillation has been estimated for the last 12 months to be the second half of 2018. Is there any way to know if this is likely?

• Advertisement

My house is on the on the rural fiber rollout list. Instillation has been estimated for the last 12 months to be the second half of 2018. Is there any way to know if this is likely?

Your best bet is to keep an eye out for work taking place in the area. Poles being replaced, manholes being rebuilt, new cables, sometimes in loops, appearing on the poles, boxes such as this one on the poles.

453515.jpg

If none of this has happened you are unlikely to get connected this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Your best bet is to keep an eye out for work taking place in the area. Poles being replaced, manholes being rebuilt, new cables, sometimes in loops, appearing on the poles, boxes such as this one on the poles.

453515.jpg

If none of this has happened you are unlikely to get connected this year.

Plenty of them bad boys around my area for past month or more :cool:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Plenty of them bad boys around my area for past month or more :cool:

Generally that means the build is complete. Have you checked your Eircode on

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Generally that means the build is complete. Have you checked your Eircode on

and

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Just checked again there.

Not yet. Still down for Autumn/Winter 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

Apologies if this isn't in the right place. Direct me if needed :)

Last February the KN group were on my road digging up the place (I'll never forget as they knocked out our internet for 2 weeks with a shovel) We got all excited but by March they had packed up and left. Since then there are lengths of cables coiled up and zip tied to the utility poles.

The rollout map used to say "first half of 2018" but in May updated to second half. I've asked eir for info, but no luck. Anyone have an insight as to why they would start the work but then put it on hold?

cb123 wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't in the right place. Direct me if needed :)

Last February the KN group were on my road digging up the place (I'll never forget as they knocked out our internet for 2 weeks with a shovel) We got all excited but by March they had packed up and left. Since then there are lengths of cables coiled up and zip tied to the utility poles.

The rollout map used to say "first half of 2018" but in May updated to second half. I've asked eir for info, but no luck. Anyone have an insight as to why they would start the work but then put it on hold?

There are different teams that handle each part of the build. The gap you describe though seems unusual. Perhaps there is a civil issue such as a permission needed to dig up a road or something else that is holding up completion. As you have found out it is very hard to get information on such delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

There are different teams that handle each part of the build. The gap you describe though seems unusual. Perhaps there is a civil issue such as a permission needed to dig up a road or something else that is holding up completion. As you have found out it is very hard to get information on such delays.

Something similar here in North County Cork. KN repaired manholes & ran some ducting earlier in the year. The area was originally down as 1st half 2018. They haven't been in the area now in months, no cable ran yet. The website now lists, due 2nd half 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

Cheers for the reply. Exactly what I thought... why go through the work if you're not going to finish and make some money on it? Anyways I guess I'll just have to wait.

So frustrating, I was so nice and understanding when they knocked out the internet because I thought we were getting proper internet soon... wish I had gone ape now :mad:

cb123 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply. Exactly what I thought... why go through the work if you're not going to finish and make some money on it? Anyways I guess I'll just have to wait.

So frustrating, I was so nice and understanding when they knocked out the internet because I thought we were getting proper internet soon... wish I had gone ape now :mad:

The whole project is running behind. It was originally scheduled to be fully complete by the end of this year. eir have already hinted that this will not happen. My own view is that it may not even be finished by the end of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

My own view is that it may not even be finished by the end of 2019.
    Ouch. What is your view re if and when on NBP?

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Ouch. What is your view re if and when on NBP?

I really have no idea about the NBP. There has been such a lack of information recently that I don't know where it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I really have no idea about the NBP. There has been such a lack of information recently that I don't know where it stands.
    Well at least Varadkar is still talking about 'Autumn' in the Dail. There is no hint in his words of bad news in the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

no updates as of yet here

the updates are getting more and more sporadic, we went from a 1 month update to this 2 month one and it seems a bit iffy now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

just thought i would add my tuppence - i posted in the "talk to ... eir forum back in may 2015 asking for some info when i might go live as we where only 300m from a fibre enabled cabinet and i was told in may 2015

"This means that until the NRE1_E01 is launched we will be unable to offer your more information surrounding efibre. The only good news to this is that it's provisionally scheduled to launch within the next 6 to 8 weeks."

that was 3 years and 2 months ago and i post every 6 or 8 months asking for updates, could be worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

daddy_boy wrote: »
    just thought i would add my tuppence - i posted in the "talk to ... eir forum back in may 2015 asking for some info when i might go live as we where only 300m from a fibre enabled cabinet and i was told in may 2015

"This means that until the NRE1_E01 is launched we will be unable to offer your more information surrounding efibre. The only good news to this is that it's provisionally scheduled to launch within the next 6 to 8 weeks."

that was 3 years and 2 months ago and i post every 6 or 8 months asking for updates, could be worse....

Yours is not a normal upgrade, they're splitting out into its own independent exchange.
    I'm sorry to confirm that your line is not connected to the local eFibre cabinet but rather your line is directly fed by the local exchange NRS1_091 (soon to be migrated to NRE1_E01 when it is efibre enabled)

This means that until the NRE1_E01 is launched we will be unable to offer your more information surrounding efibre. The only good news to this is that it's provisionally scheduled to launch within the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Complex = slow = done last.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Ya very frustrating. My three neighbours are all elderly so it's like they got to the house up the road and there was no one to push them to go the extra three houses so when they stopped that was it.

Probably going to have to go down the wireless route.

Or another possibility is that Eir added just enough extra houses to their commercial plan so as to make them the obvious choice for completing the job later under the NBP and in the meantime remove themselves from the process so they have a better negotiating position when no one else wants to run service to those last few houses down all those remote roads around.

I've fiber coming near us from 3 different directions but it stops short of about 50 houses in a 3km radius.
    I can't see it making much sense technically or even commercially to leave it like that without some other agenda being played out.

I'll be stuck with 4g for another few years by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭daddy_boy

ED E wrote: »
    Yours is not a normal upgrade, they're splitting out into its own independent exchange.

Complex = slow = done last.

OK thanks , first time i have been told what is happening, but 3 years plus... as i said it could be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OK thanks , first time i have been told what is happening, but 3 years plus... as i said it could be worse

Well, I was quoting them from three years ago. They told you just not in accessible terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Funny you say it could be worse - 5 years ago local cabinet went live - still no sign of fibre - Actually I got rid of my landline over a year ago now.
    Convinced 3 neighbours to go the same way too - ditch landline for 4g.
    I'm happy enough on 4g - which has improved drastically as a service over the last year or two. Might not even bother with fibre by the time it's rolled out by me - which according to Eir is before EOY 2018 - not that I'd believe any date Eir give me at this stage.

I'm saving a lot of money per month over fibre at the moment. If it was 3 years ago that it was passing by me I'd have bitten their hands off but its been such a slow rollout and other companies - wireless I'll admit have at least been investing and improving their services. I can see Eir losing a lot of potential customers the longer this rollout drags on, I'd say they've already lost a lot of potential customers. I'm only keeping track of progress to see how delayed the whole thing will be at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

With the 17k, they released at the start of the month, one would have hoped, that they increased the pace .....

But no ... 22.5k between this time last month and today. Meh. That's FTTH only.

/M

Advertisement