Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Reati wrote: »
    Sorry if already answered but how do Eircom figure out where and how far out a road they will run fiber.

(Regulars on here - Correct me if I'm wrong...).

The way I understood it was back when Eir were a contender for the NBP tender, they decided to announce that they'd do a rural 300K FTTH rollout and produced the map here. It appears that the 'gaps' they left would have led to any other bidder having serious issues to come in at a decent price for the NBP. Cough.. cough seems like a cunning plan....

Then Eir pulled out of the NBP plan in Jan 2018 and well, you have what we have now for the next while. Houses left dangling within touching distance of FTTH but not covered, for want of literally (in cases) of a few metres extra cable and a drop point on a pole.. My understanding is that the NBP is still in a formal procurement process by the Gov. dept involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MBSnr wrote: »
    (Regulars on here - Correct me if I'm wrong...).

The way I understood it was back when Eir were a contender for the NBP tender, they decided to announce that they'd do a rural 300K FTTH rollout and produced the map here. It appears that the 'gaps' they left would have led to any other bidder having serious issues to come in at a decent price for the NBP. Cough.. cough seems like a cunning plan....

Then Eir pulled out of the NBP plan in Jan 2018 and well, you have what we have now for the next while. Houses left dangling within touching distance of FTTH but not covered, for want of literally (in cases) of a few metres extra cable and a drop point on a pole.. My understanding is that the NBP is still in a formal procurement process by the Gov. dept involved.

Some of those houses are being done .... presumably as is convenient for eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They had to put in cutoffs somewhere, in Ireland there'll alllways be another house just 50m further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

ED E wrote: »
    They had to put in cutoffs somewhere, in Ireland there'll alllways be another house just 50m further on.

Wasn't the goal high speed internet for everyone? Sounds more like shortcuts to me.

Reati wrote: »
    Wasn't the goal high speed internet for everyone? Sounds more like shortcuts to me.

No it was not.

That is what the NBP is supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

No it was not.

That is what the NBP is supposed to do.

Ah, that's what I'm mixing up! Cheer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Eir were putting new poles back my road today. Don't know too much about the process but we're down for second half of 2018. Is this a good sign that maybe we'll get sooner than expected or could it still be up to December does anyone know? Or is it hard to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Eir were putting new poles back my road today. Don't know too much about the process but we're down for second half of 2018. Is this a good sign that maybe we'll get sooner than expected or could it still be up to December does anyone know? Or is it hard to say?

Pole replacement is one of the first steps in the process. It generally would take several more months for cabling to be completed and the area to go live. It's hard to give an exact timeframe as it would depend on the availability of the other crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In my area pole replacement begun in May 2017, area went live for FTTH at the beginning of Nov, last of the defective poles in the area were replaced around April this year. Pole replacement isn't an accurate indication of when the service might go live, around here they ran the fibre cable on some very ancient ivy covered poles initially before they were eventually replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The crews have been working on the poles on my road for the last couple of weeks. The last pole with the ftth contraption on it is about 100m from me. Will i benefit from this or am I stuck with crap broadband. This pic might help explain what i mean.

w6uj49.jpg

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The crews have been working on the poles on my road for the last couple of weeks. The last pole with the ftth contraption on it is about 100m from me. Will i benefit from this or am I stuck with crap broadband. This pic might help explain what i mean.

w6uj49.jpg

Your house does not have the blue icon on it so you are not due to be covered. However when the area goes live you may find that you will be able to order. I've seen similar situations in some areas where a few homes that were not covered on the map are now able to receive the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Feckers!

The Eir page now says that I'm due in the second half of 2018, pushed back from first half.

:(

Your house does not have the blue icon on it so you are not due to be covered. However when the area goes live you may find that you will be able to order. I've seen similar situations in some areas where a few homes that were not covered on the map are now able to receive the service.

I hope that's the case. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Feckers!

The Eir page now says that I'm due in the second half of 2018, pushed back from first half.

I'm the same.
    But, the second half starts in less than 3 weeks, so fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

But, the second half starts in less than 3 weeks
    And ends in just under 7 months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I'm the same.
    But, the second half starts in less than 3 weeks, so fingers crossed...
    I don't think Eir have pushed any of the dates into 2019, but the betting on here is that Eir could be up to a year late.

KOR101 wrote: »
    I don't think Eir have pushed any of the dates into 2019, but the betting on here is that Eir could be up to a year late.

There has been no areas announced as 2019 yet but they have as good as admitted it to the Department.
    eir has signalled that there would be likely knock-on effects to the 2018 milestone targets due to the severe weather impacts of both storms Ophelia and Emma.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/latest-news/Pages/Latest-News.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

The rollout pace has been slow outside of storms. One extra year would have been a more accurate estimate from the start. But expecting honesty from Eir is being very optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

1 cabinet in my area switched on with a while, 3 remaining ones should be done within 6 months according to the map.

From their estimates since I started looking at the map a few years ago there 2.5 years overdue :)

I dunno my house was last on the line being with blue dot, then they put the black box on the post right outside front gate, and now after checking another 4 houses past mine which definitely were not marked as blue (within 100 of this black box in 2 separate directions, due to a T junction) are now blue, don't see any more boxes in those 2 directions. it seems they try to aim to get clusters of homes per each box.

Looking at that map, can you put a conduit along the angled hedge pointing at your house, it seems the shortest path to your house vs going via front drive, maybe 30-40 meters?

5DHlfiq.jpg
    There are 2 poles from the pole with the box on it I have marked their location with white arrows. My ducting runs to the second pole. The total run to my house via those poles and my duct would be approx 100m maybe less. I could run a duct to the middle pole but I'd say im close enough not to have too. The last picture is the distribution box on the pole where your pink line ends. An engineer installing these told me if your house was within 500m of one of these you should be ok. Heres hoping.;)

nyi41s.jpg
    32zl4i9.jpg

• Advertisement

There are 2 poles from the pole with the box on it I have marked their location with white arrows. My ducting runs to the second pole. The total run to my house via those poles and my duct would be approx 100m maybe less. I could run a duct to the middle pole but I'd say im close enough not to have too. The last picture is the distribution box on the pole where your pink line ends. An engineer installing these told me if your house was within 500m of one of these you should be ok. Heres hoping.;)

500m is about ten poles. There's no way they go that far IMO.

500m is about ten poles. There's no way they go that far IMO.
    Perhaps not but I'm way below that .I must measure it and see. But I'm guessing around 100m. Any idea what that distribution box on the pole is called? Is it an optical splitter. I take it they are going to install a fibre cable connecting all of these and the exchange together.then split that cable off to each home. I presume a new optical cable needs to be run through the existing ducting to replace the old copper cable or will this be left in situ for the phone?:confused:

Perhaps not but I'm way below that .I must measure it and see. But I'm guessing around 100m. Any idea what that distribution box on the pole is called? Is it an optical splitter. I take it they are going to install a fibre cable connecting all of these and the exchange together.then split that cable off to each home. I presume a new optical cable needs to be run through the existing ducting to replace the old copper cable or will this be left in situ for the phone?:confused:

eir refer to it as the Distribution Point. All the fibre cabling to the exchange is complete once the box is on the pole. Mounting the boxes is the last part of the process. That box will now serve a certain number of premises within a certain radius.

For each order a separate fibre cable will be brought from the box to the premises by the installers. Generally the fibre cabling will take the same route as the existing copper cable. However if ducts are blocked they could go overhead if poles are available. The copper cable will not be removed.

eir refer to it as the Distribution Point. All the fibre cabling to the exchange is complete once the box is on the pole. Mounting the boxes is the last part of the process. That box will now serve a certain number of premises within a certain radius.

For each order a separate fibre cable will be brought from the box to the premises by the installers. Generally the fibre cabling will take the same route as the existing copper cable. However if ducts are blocked the could go overhead if poles are available. The copper cable will not be removed.
    Thanks. One last question will someone call to the houses in the area to see who wants to sign up ? I take it only EIR offer this package.

Thanks. One last question will someone call to the houses in the area to see who wants to sign up ? I take it only EIR offer this package.

There are several ISPs selling the service. They are listed here with the circular green home icons:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

eir generally send salespeople around trying to sign people up. They have been known to tell lies like saying only eir sell it. It would be up to yourself to do the maths to see who us currently providing the best value.

There are several ISPs selling the service. They are listed here with the circular green home icons:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

eir generally send salespeople around trying to sign people up. They have been known to tell lies like saying only eir sell it. It would be up to yourself to do the maths to see who us currently providing the best value.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Eirs FTTH rollout state end of June.

29291740628_8da8a58d58_b.jpg

/M

Is that map publicly available?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Is that map publicly available?

Unfortunately not.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

I live about 3.5 km from a medium sized city and about 200m from a rural housing estate which is mostly connected to fibre. We don’t have access to fibre and there is no date availble for installation and it is deeply frustrating, especiall as it really isn't a remote location. Is there any thing that be done to highlight local demand for fibre? Is there any way to pay for quicker installation? I believe there is considerable amount of people who could be willing to contribute if it was somewhat possible.

Advertisement