Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    anyone know if I need to buy tickets for walking on cars tonight or can you pay in at the gate?
    God be the days when you could walk on the cars during the festival for free.........:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Anyone else watch the fireworks display in town last night? 80% Of the fireworks didn't clear the treeline, I'm guessing unless you were at the front of the stage, or in the park you wouldn't have seen everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    anyone know if I need to buy tickets for walking on cars tonight or can you pay in at the gate?

I think you can pay at the gate, but last year we got tickets down in Byrnesworth in the square, so not sure if its the same this year or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anyone else watch the fireworks display in town last night? 80% Of the fireworks didn't clear the treeline, I'm guessing unless you were at the front of the stage, or in the park you wouldn't have seen everything.

Yep, watched them half way down Denny street & say very little. Seemed to be very low ok except for the last few.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So the consensus is the crowds were "down" on past years.....said every year since 1987 - surely that must mean only a dozen people now attend the festival at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

ongarboy wrote: »
    So the consensus is the crowds were "down" on past years.....said every year since 1987 - surely that must mean only a dozen people now attend the festival at this stage!!

Radio Kerry news-30000 people watched the Rose Parade on saturday night
    Not bad for a "small"crowd

The crowds had fallen away until about 5 years ago when there was a definite upward swing in numbers. But there is definitely a noticeable dip this year, the weekend crowd have departed so tonight should be very quiet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The crowds had fallen away until about 5 years ago when there was a definite upward swing in numbers. But there is definitely a noticeable dip this year, the weekend crowd have departed so tonight should be very quiet.

I thought last year was the best numbers we had in years, and the best range of entertainment in years. This year it seems a lot quieter and the entertainment is pretty crap...apart from Walking on Cars, which I couldn't get down to see, but have heard they were very good & had a fairly decent size crowd at it.

I think the festival committee need to seriously look at the quality of the live music they are putting on and stop this charging €10 for Denny street. EVeryone I have spoken to this weekend has been saying its been really poor compared to other years, especially last year when it seemed they had really got it right, but this year it was useless!
    Thankfully the weather held up fairly well though!

Have just seen that Kennedy's pet-farm have gotten all their dogs back tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Really? That's great news I hope they are ok. Rotten thing to do to the poor animals

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I wonder where they were found?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I wonder where they were found?

Usual culprits were no doubt rustled up by the Gardai and lo and behold they were suddenly 'found'.

No factual report as yet. No mention of the pheasants being returned though

No factual report as yet. No mention of the pheasants being returned though

Probably in a roast!

good news, Tralee was rated 18th place in the IBAL (Irish Business Against Litter) report - We are cleaner than European norms! well done to all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

Re the festival - People have to stop and think who is going to pay for all these major free acts that should be brought in! The festival has a limited budget with which to work with and in my opinion do a great job. Yes there are charges for certain acts but this is because they need the money, however there is still loads of free entertainment on in Tralee and we should be very thankful for all the hard work put in by volunteers and the organisers. Some people on this board do nothing more than complain about everything that goes on and no doubt they support nothing.
    There was a huge crowd for the FREE parade on Saturday! i say a huge thank you to the festival for the marketing exposure you bring to the town and for the business it brings in - well done!

kimbaines wrote: »
    Re the festival - People have to stop and think who is going to pay for all these major free acts that should be brought in! The festival has a limited budget with which to work with and in my opinion do a great job. Yes there are charges for certain acts but this is because they need the money, however there is still loads of free entertainment on in Tralee and we should be very thankful for all the hard work put in by volunteers and the organisers. Some people on this board do nothing more than complain about everything that goes on and no doubt they support nothing.
    There was a huge crowd for the FREE parade on Saturday! i say a huge thank you to the festival for the marketing exposure you bring to the town and for the business it brings in - well done!

I'm a business person in this town and PAY the Rose committee money every year, as well as most of the businesses in this town...other board members on here are also business owners in the town. Plenty of people here support it, in more ways than one, but we are allowed to ask why more isn't being done to improve it! No one is criticising the work that is done during the festival!

I look upon the festival as a necessary evil. It provides much needed revenue for the bars, restaurants, hotels & street vendors.
    For me personally it means lost sleep, property damage & theft & it's only Tuesday. My business doesn't generate any extra income from the festival in fact I lose money as people have a tendency to stay away from town unless they really have to come in.

Congratulations to the Philidelphia Rose on winning the Rose of Tralee! beautiful lady too! I hope she has a fantastic year :)

did anyone go to the Pony & horse racing in Ballybeggan at the weekend? I heard there was a good crowd at it & the Roses were there too! Almost like the old days :)

Lets hope there is more done now to get the racing in Ballybeggan back!

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    did anyone go to the Pony & horse racing in Ballybeggan at the weekend? I heard there was a good crowd at it & the Roses were there too! Almost like the old days :)

It can't come back, horse racing Ireland were only too glad when it stopped & they wouldn't be inclined to give the days back if an application was made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Congratulations to the Philidelphia Rose on winning the Rose of Tralee! beautiful lady too! I hope she has a fantastic year :)

A truly worthy winner! Well done Philadelphia ! :)

A truly worthy winner! Well done Philadelphia ! :)

She put on a lovely spread. Even if it was a little cheesy.

It would be nice to see an annual event in Ballybeggan, unfortunately it looks like Killarney have taken over Tralee's slot.

Nonetheless Killarney do not own the slot, it should not stop interested parties in Tralee from campaigning to get a slot to coincide with The Festival.

Not all tracks lead to Killarney!;)

She put on a lovely spread. Even if it was a little cheesy.

I like it !!!:)

It can't come back, horse racing Ireland were only too glad when it stopped & they wouldn't be inclined to give the days back if an application was made

it can come back, they can apply for dates to be reinstated, possibly not all the dates, but they can get a few back. Its down to the shareholders of Ballybeggan to agree to apply for them, but it can be done.

it can come back, they can apply for dates to be reinstated, possibly not all the dates, but they can get a few back. Its down to the shareholders of Ballybeggan to agree to apply for them, but it can be done.

Agree totally. Perhaps the shareholders will now campaign to get racing reinstated in Ballybeggan.

With the recent addition of the ring road access to Ballybeggan has improved dramatically , without having any impact on Tralee Town traffic.

There is a great opportunity now to get racing back in Ballybeggan.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Did anyone do the 10k on Sunday? All the roads were left open and most resorted to dodging pedestrians on the foot path, rather than dodging the cars on the road.

This 'back to basics' nonsense has been going on for years and the local business' are plagued to donate, in return for a tiny listing in the back of the brochure. I'd love to know where the money is going.
    I thought the last two years were much better, especially in terms of the live music on the streets. I didn't go to the airshow after last year's debacle and only went to town one night.

Looking forward to taking back the local this week :D

Did anyone do the 10k on Sunday? All the roads were left open and most resorted to dodging pedestrians on the foot path, rather than dodging the cars on the road.

This 'back to basics' nonsense has been going on for years and the local business' are plagued to donate, in return for a tiny listing in the back of the brochure. I'd love to know where the money is going.
    I thought the last two years were much better, especially in terms of the live music on the streets. I didn't go to the airshow after last year's debacle and only went to town one night.

Looking forward to taking back the local this week :D

and they don't list all the businesses that donate money anymore, only the ones that give the big donations! :rolleyes:

I can usually see a bit of the airshow from my bedroom, but I couldn't see any of it this year, eventhough I could sort of hear the planes!? What happened to it last year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

and they don't list all the businesses that donate money anymore, only the ones that give the big donations! :rolleyes:

I can usually see a bit of the airshow from my bedroom, but I couldn't see any of it this year, eventhough I could sort of hear the planes!? What happened to it last year?

It was three hours late last year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement