Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    and they don't list all the businesses that donate money anymore, only the ones that give the big donations! :rolleyes:

I can usually see a bit of the airshow from my bedroom, but I couldn't see any of it this year, eventhough I could sort of hear the planes!? What happened to it last year?

IMHO every business donor should be listed. This is an opportunity for the punters to see just how much the entire business community is behind the Festival.

It was three hours late last year!

Why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

IMHO every business donor should be listed. This is an opportunity for the punters to see just how much the entire business community is behind the Festival.

I agree! Up to last year, they did list all the sponsors, eventhough I never really liked the way they categorised it into gold, silver & bronze, it shouldn't matter how much was donated by a business. But now they only print the 'gold' sponsors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

it can come back, they can apply for dates to be reinstated, possibly not all the dates, but they can get a few back. Its down to the shareholders of Ballybeggan to agree to apply for them, but it can be done.

I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I remember horse racing Ireland were concerned about the number if dates between so many different tracks in such a small area (incl mallow)
    The plug was going to be pulled on 1 track supposedly & there was no way it would be listowel or killarney. Applications could be made, but my guess is they would fall on deaf ears

The Festival of Kerry which is running for over 50 years has to be one of the longest running events of its size in Ireland if not the world.

Despite any frailties or shortcomings it may have , nonetheless the proof of its success in drawing an International Audience is unrivaled.

It can be easy to highlight areas each time which may not have satisfied personal expectation. Nonetheless such issues when highlighted may be taken on board and used to improve the event as it continuously goes from strength to strength.

As an outsider I am not aware of any other town in Ireland where an entire town and its inhabitants warmly welcome visitors to such an event for 7 days. It is quite exceptional and remarkable.

To the organisors , sponsors, supporters, and people of Tralee & Kerry I say well done. Ireland is proud of your achievements and may you continue to strive forward for the next 50 years.

Go raibh mile maith agat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Festival of Kerry which is running for over 50 years has to be one of the longest running events of its size in Ireland if not the world.

Despite any frailties or shortcomings it may have , nonetheless the proof of its success in drawing an International Audience is unrivaled.

It can be easy to highlight areas each time which may not have satisfied personal expectation. Nonetheless such issues when highlighted may be taken on board and used to improve the event as it continuously goes from strength to strength.

As an outsider I am not aware of any other town in Ireland where an entire town and its inhabitants warmly welcome visitors to such an event for 7 days. It is quite exceptional and remarkable.

To the organisors , sponsors, supporters, and people of Tralee & Kerry I say well done. Ireland is proud of your achievements and may you continue to strive forward for the next 50 years.

Go raibh mile maith agat!

its not on for 7 days, only Friday - Tuesday and even then I think it could be cut down to Friday - Sunday....Monday & Tuesday seemed so quiet around after the weekend. Although there seemed to be a good crowd out Tuesday night & the fireworks looked great!

I agree! Up to last year, they did list all the sponsors, eventhough I never really liked the way they categorised it into gold, silver & bronze, it shouldn't matter how much was donated by a business. But now they only print the 'gold' sponsors!

That is rather short sighted. Whether a company donates €1000 or €100,000 both parties should be named as sponsors. A little outside the box thinking is required on this for next year.
    :)

its not on for 7 days, only Friday - Tuesday and even then I think it could be cut down to Friday - Sunday....Monday & Tuesday seemed so quiet around after the weekend. Although there seemed to be a good crowd out Tuesday night & the fireworks looked great!

Apologies, I thought there was a band on last Thursday night. The fair ground was in full swing this pm across from the Brandon.

Sign I am getting old when a 5 day festival seems more like 7 days.:rolleyes:

I guees if the racing could be tagged on again it would make a 7 day festival?

I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I remember horse racing Ireland were concerned about the number if dates between so many different tracks in such a small area (incl mallow)
    The plug was going to be pulled on 1 track supposedly & there was no way it would be listowel or killarney. Applications could be made, but my guess is they would fall on deaf ears

Interesting. Though Kilbeggan , Co. Westmeath ( a one horse town ) manages to get an annual race meeting?

How many race meetings have Killarney each year. Surely one of them could be moved back to Tralee

Slan, is beanacht Festival of Kerry and the rose selection.

Go raibh mile maith agat

See you again next year:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was in around the town a few nights over the weekend,thought it wasn't as busy as the past few years,the pubs were busy but still weren't jam packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Power Gear wrote: »

I think his father lived in Tralee, until he died, about 10 years ago or more? I remember my father telling me he knew him.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I think his father lived in Tralee, until he died, about 10 years ago or more? I remember my father telling me he knew him.

I think you're right, I remember my grandad talking about him

I see Griffin's butchers on Castle street has closed, although someone said they had moved up to the Horan centre.

I also noticed that Ryle's menswear are having a relocation sale! I don't know where they are moving to, but that will be odd not seeing them in that unit after they have been there for so long! Anyone know where they are relocating to?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

yes -i knew Tom Brosnan -he lived in one of the social housing units (old folks bungalows)in Connolly Park He looked like an older Pierce-he died about 15 years back

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

It can't come back, horse racing Ireland were only too glad when it stopped & they wouldn't be inclined to give the days back if an application was made

The days were put in the care of Killarney,they can be brought back to Tralee

g1983d wrote: »
    The days were put in the care of Killarney,they can be brought back to Tralee

They possible can, but it won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

They possible can, but it won't happen

If the will is there I can't see any reason why it wouldn't happen

g1983d wrote: »
    If the will is there I can't see any reason why it wouldn't happen

Back in the boom times the racetrack was losing money, there was a will to keep it going, it didn't happen.
    Horse racing Ireland probably wouldn't want it to return, it's gone the same way as Tuam & Mullingar racecourses.
    At no point in the last 5 or 6 years have horse racing Ireland given even a glimmer of.hope to anyone that they would allow it to return afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

http://www.independent.ie/sport/horse-racing/the-close-of-tralee-26482409.html

As a Dub i won some money there many years ago, Baldoyle was my local track and sold to developers who failed to get planning permission too.

Congrats to Carmel Russel of That's Perfect & approx 20 of CH chemist staff who did the ice bucket challenge this evening.
    Quite a bit of money raised for MND
    .......when it's my turn I'm giving Ciarrai a shout on here!

Congrats to Carmel Russel of That's Perfect & approx 20 of CH chemist staff who did the ice bucket challenge this evening.
    Quite a bit of money raised for MNS
    .......when it's my turn I'm giving Ciarrai a shout on here!

I did it this evening! still frozen! great craic though. its gas seeing all the videos! Great idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Lads, we've been fekkin' had, seems one of them gays snuck into the rose competition.

We should have known with the short hair and tattoos.

kingdumb wrote: »
    Lads, we've been fekkin' had, seems one of them gays snuck into the rose competition.

She's not the first gay rose entrant, and hopefully not the last either. She's quite open about her sexuality & I don't anyone really cares roo much in this day & age

She's not the first gay rose entrant, and hopefully not the last either. She's quite open about her sexuality & I don't anyone really cares roo much in this day & age

Ya,could you imagine if this happened in the 80's,there would be lynch mobs marching around the town

Now though

"I heard the Rose of Tralee is gay!"

"So what, do you think Kerry will win on Sunday?"

Ya,could you imagine if this happened in the 80's,there would be lynch mobs marching around the town

Now though

"I heard the Rose of Tralee is gay!"

"So what, do you think Kerry will win on Sunday?"

No, it's created quite a stir, even has it's own dedicated thread on AH as well as the Rose thread being reawakened

Last time a Rose of Tralee grabbed the headlines outside of winning it was back in 2002

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shoplift-probe-rose-tamara-seeks-help-for-eating-illness-26023148.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

kingdumb wrote: »

I hope your having the Lols and bants

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    I hope your having the Lols and bants

I thought it was obvious he was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement