Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Man Wounded by Israeli Soldier. (rubber bullet)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/israel-plans-to-seize-140000-dunums-of-dead-sea-land/
    Israeli occupation authorities have declared a new project aimed at seizing 140,000 dunums of land in the receding Dead Sea to be used for the interest of Jewish settlers.

More ILLEGAL settlements. But it's ok isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

shedweller wrote: »

The game is up for the Palestinians. They lost. Time to move.

Maybe their arab brothers and sisters will welcome them into their countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

Nodin wrote: »
    Would it be easier if I went back and added [/sarcasm] tags?

maybe yes, sorry about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If the idiot hadnt of been rustling in others affairs, he wouldnt have a chunk of his arm missing.

Indeed. Jaysus forbid we take interest in the affairs and well being of our fellow man.

The game is up for the Palestinians. They lost. Time to move.

To hell or connaught? Lovely stuff. And a bit ironic, given your current "location".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I think if you put your back to it and really pushed, theres room for a smidgin more ignorance in your post.
    Oh the irony of someone like you calling me ignorant- I've been there, seen the situation first hand and those 'protesters' are nothing more than idiots who hop on every controversial bandwagon going. They're anti-everything and have nothing better to do with their times and money than to go to a country which has absolutely nothing to do with them and cause a nuisance. This Galway guy is nothing more than a pathetic geriatric whose only hope at gaining an ounce of fame is to throw himself into someone else's conflict rather than actually doing something useful like trying to improve our lot at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Siuin wrote: »
    This Galway guy is nothing more than a pathetic geriatric whose only hope at gaining an ounce of fame is to throw himself into someone else's conflict rather than actually doing something useful like trying to improve our lot at home.
    And what the **** would that be, short of assassinating top level bankers and politicians?

shedweller wrote: »
    And what the **** would that be, short of assassinating top level bankers and politicians?
    These eejits claims to be protesting 'peacefully' - not possible to do that in Ireland too? Probably won't make you famous, though :rolleyes:

Oh the irony of someone like you calling me ignorant- .........

I was referring to your post.

An idiot gets his comeuppance. Good.
    I can only hope that the next fool who thinks he's a modern day Saladin gets pumped full of more rubber than a posse of lesbians in a dildo factory.

A second reading of it does nothing to change my conclusion.
    I've been there, seen the situation first hand .........

So if somebody who is an Man U supporter goes to see a Liverpool v Man U match, we can rely on them for clear, cogent and unbiased commentary. With ye now.

And seeing as you went to Israel, its a bit much that you criticise him for going just across the border.

And seeing as you went to Israel, its a bit much that you criticise him for going just across the border.
    He didn't merely go across the border for a visit- he went with a clear agenda. Couldn't find anything a little closer to home to whinge about? I went to Israel to work- not to piss off the authorities.

He didn't merely go across the border for a visit- he went with a clear agenda. Couldn't find anything a little closer to home to whinge about? I went to Israel to work- not to piss off the authorities.

So if you go to a country that violates certain agreements and laws its ok, as long as you don't disagree with them. Fair enough, I'll note that down.

What work were you doing in Israel, might I ask?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Indeed. Jaysus forbid we take interest in the affairs and well being of our fellow man.
    To hell or connaught? Lovely stuff. And a bit ironic, given your current "location".

It sucks alright but that is life. Any young Palestinian with a lick of sense would try and get out of there and give themselves a chance of a decent life. They lost, the Israelis have the game locked up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think much of the popularity of protesting against Israel by going there is because it is a generally safe place to protest. You can even get to the area reasonably cheaply by using first world airlines.

Compared to a number of other locations one could go, Israeli forces are reasonably restrained, and the detention system reasonably sanitary and efficient. Probably unpleasant and intimidating but rarely hell hole status. I can think of a number of East Asian jurisdictions I would place lower on my list, for example.

So if you go to a country that violates certain agreements and laws its ok, as long as you don't disagree with them. Fair enough, I'll note that down.

What work were you doing in Israel, might I ask?

I always find it so rich when Irish people whinge about 'going to a country which violates certain agreements and laws' and yet they'll happily jet off to the likes of China and Gulf countries without any qualms. If we boycotted countries every time they did something we didn't personally agree with, I doubt there'd be a single nation left. Thankfully Israelis aren't so stupid in how they judge other countries- otherwise they'd boycott us for enslaving single mothers and creating havens for pedophiles and child beaters.

Teaching English to children.

It sucks alright but that is life. Any young Palestinian with a lick of sense would try and get out of there and give themselves a chance of a decent life.

Funny, I've heard loyalists say to the same thing about northern nationalists - 'if it was so bad here why didn't they just leave'. It would an interesting tack to take for the Employment tribunal - a woman facing discrimination and abuse in the work place 'Get a job somewhere else'. Get beaten up for being a protesant? Move house.

I always find it so rich when Irish people whinge about 'going to a country which violates certain agreements and laws' and yet they'll happily jet off to the likes of China and Gulf countries without any qualms. .......

Yet here we had somebody going somewhere and doing something and you object. Can't win, can they.

I think much of the popularity of protesting against Israel by going there is because it is a generally safe place to protest. You can even get to the area reasonably cheaply by using first world airlines.

Compared to a number of other locations one could go, Israeli forces are reasonably restrained, and the detention system reasonably sanitary and efficient. Probably unpleasant and intimidating but rarely hell hole status.

Exactly! They do their little stint in the West Bank, take pictures of them being 'rebels', then grab a falafal and head on back to Tel Aviv to party. I stayed in a hostel with a room full of these 'protesters' and they were nothing more than bored middle class kids who wanted to spice up their summer holidays and their knowledge of the politics and history of the region was embarrassing.

Yet here we had somebody going somewhere and doing something and you object. Can't win, can they.

I never said that people should head off to these regions to irritate the authorities- I merely pointed out the blatant double standard which exists.

I never said that people should head off to these regions to irritate the authorities- I merely pointed out the blatant double standard which exists.

So nobody should bother about what goes on in other countries at all?

So nobody should bother about what goes on in other countries at all?

Go to countries, visit, take an interest in their society and culture, but why the hell should anyone go half way across the globe just to hop into a riot between two nations which they are not even remotely connected to?

Go to countries, visit, take an interest in their society and culture, but why the hell should anyone go half way across the globe just to hop into a riot between two nations which they are not even remotely connected to?

....because they contain human beings too?

• Advertisement

....because they contain human beings too?

Believe it or not, the soldiers are humans too. As are the Israelis getting rocketed throughout Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

The guy who was shot is as hard as they come and a great guy. This wont put him off his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

An idiot gets his comeuppance. Good.
    I can only hope that the next fool who thinks he's a modern day Saladin gets pumped full of more rubber than a posse of lesbians in a dildo factory.

What exactly can you say the Galway man was doing beyond filming the protest?

I must say that sheer level of speculation and conjecture in this thread is astounding.

I honestly don't know what article everyone else here read, but the one I seen was only sixteen lines long and mentioned little beyond the cameraman's name and the circumstances surrounding why he was shot - which never once indicated that he actively participated in the protest.

I'm struggling to see where the comeuppance appears.

What exactly can you say the Galway man was doing beyond filming the protest?

I must say that sheer level of speculation and conjecture in this thread is astounding.

I honestly don't know what article everyone else here read, but the one I seen was only sixteen lines long and mentioned little beyond the cameraman's name and the circumstances surrounding why he was shot - which never once indicated that he actively participated in the protest.

I'm struggling to see where the comeuppance appears.
    If you seriously believe that, you're terribly naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly! They do their little stint in the West Bank, take pictures of them being 'rebels', then grab a falafal and head on back to Tel Aviv to party. I stayed in a hostel with a room full of these 'protesters' and they were nothing more than bored middle class kids who wanted to spice up their summer holidays and their knowledge of the politics and history of the region was embarrassing.

I hope you informed them of how Alan Shatter felt about them.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

HondaSami wrote: »
    Was that list necessary?
    Was posting it twice necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Believe it or not, the soldiers are humans too. As are the Israelis getting rocketed throughout Israel.

If he was documenting the plight of Israeli settlers and was clocked in the head with a rock from a Palestinian mob, would that also be considered "comeuppance".

At the end of the day he's a middle-class white man getting involved with Politics outside of the Irish State.
    If you seriously believe that, you're terribly naive

What else am I supposed to believe? Like any other small news story we can speculate to the cows come home about what the actual circumstances were, but ultimately we'd be fooling ourselves.

Other posters here have noted that this is essentially a non-story, which I pretty much agree with. At least treat it as the non-story it is and stop partaking in pointless speculation and character defaming.

If he was documenting the plight of Israeli settlers and was clocked in the head with a rock from a Palestinian mob, would that also be considered "comeuppance".

At the end of the day he's a middle-class white man getting involved with Politics outside of the Irish State.

What else am I supposed to believe? Like any other small news story we can speculate to the cows come home about what the actual circumstances were, but ultimately we'd be fooling ourselves.

Other posters here have noted that this is essentially a non-story, which I pretty much agree with. At least treat it as the non-story it is and stop partaking in pointless speculation and character defaming.

It's hardly speculation- this happens all the time. His background in pro-Palestinian organisations is more than enough to prove his agenda. He wouldn't have gone out with a camera if he didn't think they were capable of riling up the soldiers and causing havoc.

Don't expect him to be in Burma or Afghanistan anytime soon- he'd be scared sh!tless. As a previous poster already stated- they know they'll have an easy time in Israel- more like a holiday than a humanitarian endeavour

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's hardly speculation- this happens all the time. His background in pro-Palestinian organisations is more than enough to prove his agenda. He wouldn't have gone out with a camera if he didn't think they were capable of riling up the soldiers and causing havoc.

Don't expect him to be in Burma or Afghanistan anytime soon- he'd be scared sh!tless. As a previous poster already stated- they know they'll have an easy time in Israel- more like a holiday than a humanitarian endeavour

As long as you don't travel on a relief ship.

• Advertisement

As long as you don't travel on a relief ship.

Also known as a Publicity Stunt Ship.

Pity they haven't realised that Syria has a coast too. But heaven forbid anyone put themselves in actual danger!

Advertisement