Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Man Wounded by Israeli Soldier. (rubber bullet)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm a little disturbed by the level of cynicism.
    This is a human conflict with human beings on both sides.
    Do the people of AO think an unarmed man with a camera is a valid target?

Maybe he should have had some cop on and just stayed home on the internet.

He's not there with a camera to "expose the truth" we all know what goes on there. Some justified, some not on both sides. He had the camera so he could show off that he was in the sh1t. Right there getting his hands dirty.

Since we haven't seen any unbiased reports, I'm gonna make the assumption that he was out in front trying to film the soldiers shooting rubber bullets at the people he was standing by who were throwing rocks and he got hit..... I'm sure the pain is worth the glory to him... now he'll get to fcuk any dreadlocked crustie white girl in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

I visited and took part in a demonstration in that village Nabi Saleh last July. Israeli soldiers arrested an English friend of mine while she was buying water in the local petrol station... They detained her and stripsearched her. Essentially arrested her for just being there.
    The soldiers are very quick to start firing tear gas, rubber bullets and spray skunk water.
    I'm glad this is a news story. Things have escalated bigtime in this little West Bank village. Only a few months ago a young man from the village was shot dead by the IDF at one of these weekly protests.
    I know not everyone in this country cares about what's going on in that region. Nor do I expect them to. But it really is shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

He's not there with a camera to "expose the truth" we all know what goes on there. Some justified, some not on both sides. He had the camera so he could show off that he was in the sh1t. Right there getting his hands dirty.

Since we haven't seen any unbiased reports, I'm gonna make the assumption that he was out in front trying to film the soldiers shooting rubber bullets at the people he was standing by who were throwing rocks and he got hit..... I'm sure the pain is worth the glory to him... now he'll get to fcuk any dreadlocked crustie white girl in Ireland.

What is it with white, middle class westerners and their obsession with the Gaza strip? Yes, some dodgy stuff goes down there - no question. But on the grand scheme of things, its a picnic compared to the human rights abuses carried out in the rest of the middle east, parts of Asia and Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

I visited and took part in a demonstration in that village Nabi Saleh last July. Israeli soldiers arrested an English friend of mine while she was buying water in the local petrol station... They detained her and stripsearched her. Essentially arrested her for just being there.
    The soldiers are very quick to start firing tear gas, rubber bullets and spray skunk water.
    I'm glad this is a news story. Things have escalated bigtime in this little West Bank village. Only a few months ago a young man from the village was shot dead by the IDF at one of these weekly protests.
    I know not everyone in this country cares about what's going on in that region. Nor do I expect them to. But it really is shocking.

So your going over to a foreign country which is the closest thing you'll get to an active war zone to protest and you expect the Israeli authorities not to find it suspicious?

It's like the flotilas that sailed through into their waters refusing to be stopped and then cry to the worlds media when they get borded an sent packing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wasn't trying to be sensationalist.

I can't change the title,

could a mod do it?
    Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Seems like the Israeli's are using the same tactics on the Palestinian nation as the Nazi's used on the Jews in the 30's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Seems like the Israeli's are using the same tactics on the Palestinian nation as the Nazi's used on the Jews in the 30's.

Yes, the Nazi's were notorious for their tolerance of weekly protests and the use of non-lethal methods to disperse them when they turned violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seaneh wrote: »
    He copied a list from a website, more than likely a UK government website, obviously.

Get over it.

Did his comment re religion of them listed on it also come from a UK website?

A number of people commented on the post but it seems to be mine that has upset you.

Maybe you should build the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Principal Skinner

mccarthy37 wrote: »

Ah now that's about OTT. The nazis wernt as bad as this terrible terrible regime killing just for the craic

So your going over to a foreign country which is the closest thing you'll get to an active war zone to protest and you expect the Israeli authorities not to find it suspicious?

It's like the flotilas that sailed through into their waters refusing to be stopped and then cry to the worlds media when they get borded an sent packing

Actually I was there volunteer teaching for the summer... And no I don't have dreadlocks either for the record.

• Advertisement

Actually I was there volunteer teaching for the summer... And no I don't have dreadlocks either for the record.

Did you go protest against the oppression meted out to any of the non muslims in that region? The subjugation of women by a minority of Islamic extremists? The rampant homophobia?

Or did you play it safe and onpy protest against the Israelis?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Politics aside that's a pretty good shot.
    Galway is thousands of kilometers away from the West Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Did you go protest against the oppression meted out to any of the non muslims in that region? The subjugation of women by a minority of Islamic extremists? The rampant homophobia?

That sounds like a right plan actually. I hear Hamas and Fatah don't deploy tear gas or rubber bullets so it'd probably be safe enough too. ;)

Generally people protest against one issue at a time... :rolleyes: I was protesting against the illegal occupation of land and the constant harassment of a small village of Palestinian people (muslim or otherwise) by the IDF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm to no extremes, but I'm moderately in favour of Israel. While I may not agree with their tactics, they can't just sit back and wait to die.

I'm reasonably sure avoiding using heavy handed tactics and not colonising outside ones borders does not nessicarily mean one is 'sitting back and waiting to die'.

I know people who have kept the rubber bullets they have been shot with, sat with them on the table in the pub. It takes a very unlucky shot to get killed with a rubber bullet

Or you just need to be hit close up. In any event, these are rather different from the ones used up north.

Generally people protest against one issue at a time... :rolleyes: I was protesting against the illegal occupation of land and the constant harassment of a small village of Palestinian people (muslim or otherwise) by the IDF.

Small change.

Your location says Abu Dhabi. A place where slavery is freely practiced, where homosexuality is illegal and where women are second class citizens. A place where people are publical amputated and sometimes executed.

Put protesting against their treatment of any of these groups would land you in the big house. Wont be able to upload a load of photos to FB in there. Too risky for white, middle class westerners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

An idiot gets his comeuppance. Good.
    I can only hope that the next fool who thinks he's a modern day Saladin gets pumped full of more rubber than a posse of lesbians in a dildo factory.

Small change.

Your location says Abu Dhabi. A place where slavery is freely practiced, where homosexuality is illegal and where women are second class citizens. A place where people are publical amputated and sometimes executed.

Put protesting against their treatment of any of these groups would land you in the big house. Wont be able to upload a load of photos to FB in there. Too risky for white, middle class westerners.

Wow I can tell you've visited the Middle East lately/ever... :rolleyes:
    The UAE is not Saudi. Haven't seen any public amputations/executions in my time here... I certainly don't feel like a second class citizen and *shock horror* I'm actually married to a Muslim AND have gay friends who are Arab too.

I can tell you don't respect this photographer or any others protesting for the Palestinian cause but now you're just targeting the Middle East in general.

Siuin wrote: »
    An idiot gets his comeuppance. Good.
    I can only hope that the next fool who thinks he's a modern day Saladin gets pumped full of more rubber than a posse of lesbians in a dildo factory.

I think if you put your back to it and really pushed, theres room for a smidgin more ignorance in your post.

Small change.

So if you don't protest against absolutely everything, everywhere, you're a hypocrite eh? Well thats sound logic.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    So if you don't protest against absolutely everything, everywhere, you're a hypocrite eh? Well thats sound logic.

Nah, but if you live in a place where human rights abuse is rampant, why travel 2, 000 km to a place which is small fry when compared to the ongoing abuse where you live?

As I said, it is a case of white, middle class westerners picking and choosing causes that they deem to be fashionable.

This lad from Galway had no business where he was when he got nipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He probably deserved it to be honest.

Why did he deserve it?

He was not throwing stones. He was filming.
    I have little time for stone throwers but he was not involved in anything except filming. Why do you think he was targeted by a soldier?
    If filming is a crime then Kate Adie would have been shot many times.

Wow I can tell you've visited the Middle East lately/ever... :rolleyes:
    The UAE is not Saudi. Haven't seen any public amputations/executions in my time here... I certainly don't feel like a second class citizen and *shock horror* I'm actually married to a Muslim AND have gay friends who are Arab too.

I can tell you don't respect this photographer or any others protesting for the Palestinian cause but now you're just targeting the Middle East in general.

Aha, that explains why you are protesting for the Palestinians.

As for not respecting the photographer - of course I dont. The clown stuck his beak into others affairs and got himself nipped.

Nah, but if you live in a place where human rights abuse is rampant, why travel 2, 000 km to a place which is small fry when compared to the ongoing abuse where you live?..

How do you know they don't protest where they live?

You know that - for instance - Amnesty activists usually target issues outside their home country?
    As I said, it is a case of white, middle class westerners picking and choosing causes that they deem to be fashionable..

Is it? You've some class breakdown of those involved, do ye?

How do you know they don't protest where they live?

You know that - for instance - Amnesty activists usually target issues outside their home country?

Is it? You've some class breakdown of those involved, do ye?

We are talking about a photographer from Galway and that comment was addressed to the lad who lives in Abu Dhabi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

I have to say, I'm a little disturbed by the level of cynicism.
    This is a human conflict with human beings on both sides.
    Do the people of AO think an unarmed man with a camera is a valid target?

Maybe he should have had some cop on and just stayed home on the internet.

you better cancel your account here so cos no matter what happens r how serious **** hits the fan over anything you have people showing themselves to be right selfish a$$holes towards others. anybody but themselves can go and fcuk right off as far as a lot of people are concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

doing nothing about everything that's wrong with the world and the system we're told is more precious than anything they're willing to cut to protect it, will only end in our tears!!

are you trying to suggest that some wrong things are more wrong than others and where do you suggest we draw the line??

We are talking about a photographer from Galway and that comment was addressed to the lad who lives in Abu Dhabi.

....so the "middle class" photographer from galway should protest about galway and leave the protesting in the occupied territories to middle class people from that end of the world and nyahhhh, essentially.

G Power wrote: »
    doing nothing about everything that's wrong with the world and the system we're told is more precious than anything they're willing to cut to protect it, will only end in our tears!!

are you trying to suggest that some wrong things are more wrong than others and where do you suggest we draw the line??

Would it be easier if I went back and added [/sarcasm] tags?

• Advertisement

....so the "middle class" photographer from galway should protest about galway and leave the protesting in the occupied territories to middle class people from that end of the world and nyahhhh, essentially.

If the idiot hadnt of been rustling in others affairs, he wouldnt have a chunk of his arm missing. Hanging around a disputed area where both sides are on red alert, isnt a smart idea.

Hopefully, for his sake, hes learned his lesson and he returns to the hippy commune (Galway).

Advertisement